Ebony Magazine published this article several years ago and I remember how it profoundly affected and excited me. I was glad to see some of the preachers I had grown up meeting and listening to with my father getting national and international mainstream recognition. In preparing some of the content for this site, I ran across the article again and started wondering... how would mainstream black christians of today rank these preachers and others who have vaulted onto the world scene. So let's talk about it. What do you think? "Who's in your Five?" lol.... or 15 should I say.

Here is the article:
The 15 greatest black preachers
Ebony, Nov, 1993

In the most extensive media poll of its kind, 15 ministers were named America's greatest Black preachers .

Selected by EBONY's 100+ Most Influential Black Americans, former winners of the Greatest Black Preacher designation and religious scholars, the 15 honorees represent "in the highest degree the great Black pulpit art of passion, eloquence and wisdom."

Leading the balloting was the perennial preaching favorite, Gardner C. Taylor, who was followed by a first-time entry, Jeremiah Wright, and three veterans, Samuel D. Proctor, Charles Adams and Otis Moss, and another first-time selection, H. Beecher Hicks. Although no woman received enough votes to crack the magic 15, several women were nominated. The leading woman nominee was the Rev. Prathia Hall Wynn, pastor of Philadelphia's Mt. Sharon Baptist Church.

Three of the 15 top preachers, including one from Harlem and one from Brooklyn, come from New York City. Two each are from Detroit, Dallas and Washington, D.C. Six other cities -- Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, Oakland, Columbia, S.C., and Durham, N.C. -- contributed one each. Eleven ministers appeared on the 1984 list of Greatest Preachers. Cited for the first time, along with Wright and Hicks, are Wyatt Tee Walker and J. Alfred Smith. Since only a handful of votes separated some nominees, all nominees with substantial support are listed in the Roll of Great Preachers (Page 158).
Almost all respondents said in submitting their lists that there are so many great Black preachers that it is impossible to choose a mere 15. "As a matter of fact," one respondent said, "on any given Sunday, depending on the mood and the occasion, almost any great Black preacher--and there are thousands of great Black preachers--could preach a great 15 sermon."
It is with that understanding and in that context that we present on the following pages 15 ministers who are indisputably among the greatest preachers, Black or White, in this land.
Experts And Leading Blacks Name Select Group Of Ministers

The Rev. GARDNER CALVIN TAYLOR, 75, pastor emeritus of Concord Baptist Church of Christ, Brooklyn, "stands in a category unto himself" and sets "the modern standard for poetic homiletical eloquence," Dean Clarence Newsome of the Howard University Divinity School said. President James Costen of the Interdenominational Theological Center said Dr. Taylor "stands alone" as "the president, dean, provost and master artisan of Black preaching...Hearing him preach gives one the impression that he has a direct pipeline to God. If I could only hear one sermon, it would be a Taylor sermon, it would be a Taylor sermon."

The Rev. SAMUEL DEWITT PROCTOR, 72, pastor emeritus of Harlem's Abyssinian Baptist Church, and professor emeritus, Rutgers University, is a professor at United Theological Seminary and the Duke University Divinity School, Durham, N.C. "Brilliant, witty, engaging and a storyteller par excellence," he was cited for his "richness of experience and depth of insight into the human condition." Dr. Costen said "he handles a manuscript better than anyone known to me...He is to preaching what Bessie Smith was to the blues."

The Rev. JEREMIAH A. WRIGHT JR., 52, pastor, Trinity United Church of Christ, Chicago, "represents," one respondent said, "the first of a new generation of African-American preachers who blend a Pentecostal flavor with social concerns in their pulpit discourse." A fellow preacher said, "He gives a contemporary, African-American, Afrocentric flavor to the traditional Black shout." A religious scholar said, "A Wright sermon is a four-course meal: spiritual, biblical, cultural, prophetic."

The Rev. CHARLES G. ADAMS, 56, senior minister, Hartford Memorial Baptist Church, Detroit, is, one respondent said, "America's most unique preacher," an essayist who reads from a manuscript and makes people weep and shout. The Harvard-trained preacher has been called "the Harvard Whooper." He "reads from a manuscript," a fellow minister said, "but in a way that does not depreciate the art form." Another minister said he has an electrifying style and "the unusual gift of setting a manuscript on fire."

The Rev. OTIS MOSS JR., 58, senior minister, Olivet Institutional Baptist Church, Cleveland, is, a religious scholar said, "a preacher's preacher, eloquent, profound, mesmerizing and deeply spiritual." He added: "He peels away the layers of meaning that hide the central core of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: love, liberation and justice." Another respondent said, "He engages in holistic preaching where there is no dichotomy between the so-called |sacred' and |secular.'"

The Rev. H. BEECHER HICKS JR., 49, senior minister, Metropolitan Baptist Church, Washington, D.C., was praised for "exhaustive preparation, striking vocabulary and social compassion that give him special skills as a preacher." One expert said he has "excellent command of the language, is highly alliterative and often uses popular sayings as the launching pads for his sermons." The third-generation preacher has occupied pulpits from Asia to South Africa and is the author of three books, including Preaching Through A Storm.

The Rev. JESSE L. JACKSON, 52, Washington, D.C., is, one respondent said, "a preacher with a national ministry that transcends and encloses his secular positions." A religious scholar said he is a "master of succinct and memorable expression with a unique ability to analyze the contemporary situation and to relate the mandates of the faith to the mandates of the day." In the last 12 months, he has preached in pulpits in America, Europe and Africa.

The Rev. CAESAR A.W. CLARK, 78, pastor of Good Street Baptist Church, Dallas, is, a fellow minister said, "the most sought-after revival preacher there is. In the arena of traditional preaching, his unique style--colorful language, witty anecdotes and a rare musical style in climaxing a sermon--places him in a class of one." Another preacher said, "His longevity and downhomeness in his declaration of the Gospel make him almost without peer."

The Rev. JAMES A. FORBES JR., 58, senior minister of The Riverside Church of New York City, is "possibly," a fellow preacher said, "the greatest scholar and preacher of our day." He was praised for "scholarly preaching, replete with passion and pathos, undergirded by Pentecostal fervor." One of his peers said, "He brings to his preaching the wedding of classical Pentecostal warmth with concentration on the Holy Spirit and the incisive mind of the academic."

The Rev. JOSEPH ECHOLS LOWERY, 69, who pastored United Methodist churches for 45 years, was cited for preaching that is "consistently well prepared, consistently probing, consistently biblical and consistently demanding of a response." A Lowery sermon, several respondents said, "makes you want to do something." One expert said he is "the consummate voice of biblical-social relevancy, a focused prophetic voice--speaking truth to power."

The Rev. WYATT TEE WALKER, 64, senior pastor, Canaan Baptist Church of Christ, Harlem, has, Dean Newsome said, "the tone and lyrical quality of the biblical prophets." A fellow minister said he "preaches in an authentic voice and does not try to outshout his fellow preachers." Dubbed "Harlem's Renaissance Man" by the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Dr. Walker has written 14 books and has preached on every continent except Australia.

The Rev. MANUEL L. SCOTT SR., 67, pastor, St. John Missionary Baptist Church, Dallas, was cited for "the poetic brilliance" of his sermons, his "masterful delivery" and "eloquent teaching." A religious scholar said, "His sermons reflect rich literary research...deep faith commitment and a strong conviction for justice." He is the author of two books and has served as evangelist and guest preacher for numerous citywide revivals and more than 40 interracial state conventions.

The Rt. Rev. JOHN HURST ADAMS, 64, senior bishop, African Methodist Episcopal Church, Columbia, S.C., was cited for "a brilliant application of the Gospel to the contemporary world" and for "his ability to apply age-old answers to current life situations." The leader of a national organization said he is "among the best poetic preachers I know." Dr. Kenneth Smith, president of Chicago Theological Seminary, said, "I like preachers who grab your attention. Bishop Adams grabs your attention. He is poignant, electrifying and vividly relevant."

The Rev. FREDERICK G. SAMPSON, 64, pastor, Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church, Detroit, was cited for his "depth of exegetical insight, brilliance of illustrations and captivating style of communication." One scholar said, "He laces his sermons with moving, real-life illustrations and is highly dramatic with respect to both language and gestures."

The Rev. J. ALFRED SMITH SR., 62, senior pastor, Allen Temple Baptist Church, Oakland, Calif., was cited for preaching "the Gospel as empowerment for minority people." Dr. Smith, who speaks Spanish fluently and who is professor of Christian Ministry at the American Baptist Seminary of the West, is developing "a significant ministry to Hispanic people." He has written 14 books. "He wins my award," a preacher-scholar said, "as the best example of Black evangelicalism... Listening to him is a homiletical feast."
COPYRIGHT 1993 Johnson Publishing Co.

Views: 21700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I must say Dr. J Alfred Smith is a friend of mine indeed! I am convinced everything they said is true this dude can PREACH!!!! And a walking wealth of knowledge, all balled up in humility. It was such an honor.
MAN I TELL YOU!!! It was such an emotionally rich and blessed experience! I was not alone it was myself and our newly installed youth pastor. Man we studied so hard and were so hard on each other that when we got in front of the council it was on! But the support from the church was amazing and the Lord just showed me so much when I got out there it was overwhelming. See I got saved in the church He showed me exactly where I was when I joined the church, just so much. Then to have a heavyweight like Dr. Smith tell me how good a job he thought I did was like the icing on the cake. Man what a time. I got you with the prayer.
This rating really caused controversy everywhere. I believe it was limited to USA.
When I read this in Ebony many years back, I didn't like it because I don't know and I still don't know why Fredrick K.C. Price's name was not there on that list. We know the impact of K.C. Price in Africa and ministers he has raised for the kingdom. His life and Ministry has blessed me when I was growing in the faith in early 1990s and other ministers as well in the part of the world.
When people asked K.C. Price, he said, it was 15 Black Preachers and not Teachers... I like that.

Now, if it has to do with black worldwide,then, something is really wrong with that rating because Archbishop Benson Idahosa's name was not on that list. To the glory of God, Archbishop Idahosa took the gospel round the world and he affected his generation. He has ordained more ministers and had children in the ministry all over the world than any black man ever lived. These are world shakers today e.g. Mike Francen, David Oyedepo, Ayo oritsejafor, Benin Hinn, Ladonna osborn,corletta Harris Vaugh,Francis Wale Oke, Fred Ado, Duncan williams, David Brown and countless more...
Brother Yinka, Ebony is an American magazine and not not a Christian one at that.
Thank you Rev. Eric, I know. Well, they have their own criterias for the selection.
Is Benin Hinn related to Benny?
OH Okay! LOL
Sorry, It is typographical error. I mean Benny Hinn. Thank You Rev. Anthony Luckett.
Rev. Anthony, he is now Archbishop Duncan Williams.
Bro. Anthony,
I don't mean to attack your personality please but how long have you been in the ministry? If it is less than a decade, you may not understand what I am saying. If you have been in the Ministry for the past 15 years, then, you will understand.

Here we go, you mean you don't know these people:
Mike Francen - International and world renown Evangelist. The President of Francen world Outreach, Tulsa, USA. www.gofwo.org

Bishop David Oyedepo, The president of Living Faith Church aka Winners Chapel in over 50 nations of the world with millions of members. The Pastor of the largest Church auditorium on earth, 50,000 sitters. Chancellors - Covenant University and Land Mark University (2nd university owned by the ministry).
www.davidoyedepoministries.org

Ayo Oritsejafor – International Evangelist. The president of Word of Life Bible Church, Warri, Nigeria. Current president of Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN).
www.ayo-oritsejafor.org

Archbishop Duncan Williams – Action Chapel International is the Church arm of Christian Action Faith Ministries, and is presided over by Bishop Nicholas Duncan Williams. www.actionchapel.org.uk/

Ladonna Osborn – International and world renown evangelist. Osborn foundation, Tulsa. www.osborn.org

Use google to know more about the following ministers:
Corletta Harris Vaugh, Sam Amaga, Benny Hinn, Francis Wale Oke, Fred Ado, David Brown, Felix Omobude, Tunde Joda, John Osa Oni, Woody Benneth ( on BPN here) and countless more...

If you don’t know more about late Archbishop benson Idahosa, you can ask your Pastor/mentor/father in the Ministry.
Regards
There cannot be a list of this magnitude and not have in cluded anywhere on that I saw one of the greatest illustrators of the gospel Rev Dr. C. B. T. Smith of Dallas Texas!!! He was a pathway maker and definately one of the most admired men of the gospel nationally. You can't mention Black Church History and not include this mans name on the roll.
God has blessed us to be heirs to some tremendous preaching and preachers. There is however another name that merits mention, Dr. Miles Jones of Richmond Virginia. His incredible theological mind enabled him to speak theology as fluently as Phil Jackson talks basketball. He had the unique gift of disclosing the presence and heart of Christ in the message of the minor prophets as vividly as in the gospels. His matchless use of the English language was celebratory. He was the retired pastor of Providence Park Baptist Church, Richmond and was dean of homiletics at Virginia Union Theological Seminary.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service