I am considering pursuing some type of formal training relative to ministry. Of late, there are all sorts of options. Schools just for women ministers, churches offering various certifications in designated areas , and of course classes by accredited institutions. It can be a tough decision. Right now, I want to be equipped with all the knowledge I can get. I understand fully that according to the scriptures we are to study to show ourselves approved unto God, etc...I sincerely believe in and adhere to excellence in ministry.

However, personally and unfortunately, I have run into ministers that take more pride in what they feel they have accomplished personally than being simply humbled by the fact that God called them to preach. I've seen theological training used as a form of separation...you know kind of like upper class and lower class or like a badge of honor to say I am more qualified and better than you. If I were to wear a badge, it would be a badge of humility because God choose me and the fact that I am anointed with power through the Holy Ghost.

Anyone who has the discipline to complete any type of formal education while meeting the demands of ministry should be lauded. Sadly, in some cases though, the more education the higher the degree of separation among ministers. However, to the general congregation, I don't think it matters as much or does it.

My question to BPN is who are we trying to glorify? Where does one begin in this quest for knowledge (the Holy Spirit is a given), and when is enough enough?

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John 14:26- But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:13- Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

James 1:5- If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6- But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

Take note that we have a teacher, leader, a guide so to speak. All we have to do is as Paul told Timothy; study to show thyself approved, unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. If it doesn't matter to some ,it should. through all the broadening of one's phylacteries, the common folk are pushed, cast aside and counted as for naught. We should remember that our Lord and Savior chose the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. The Lord himself said that he would give us a mouth that our enemies would not be able to gainsay nor resist. all of these schools and conferences keep us from being about our Fathers business. Love is the commandment, we either have it or we don't. You can't get it from school, you know we even have folk teaching others how to speak in tongues. The Lord thriugh the power of his Holy Ghost has and will continue to equip us with all we need.

Formal education is for the world and not the kingdom, if God calls he most certainly will equip.
(SPIRIT AND THE BRIDE MINISTRIES)
As a minister of the gospel, one should excel in the spirit and be knowledgeable of the letter. Nothing is wrong to study the historical, geographical and cultural aspects of the time the bible was written. We should not discourage that, but also, it is very important to encourage ministers to not get puffed up in their works of study. We need to continuously be educated as times are changing, being computer literate is one example so one can be able to expound the word of God via this very mode of communication we are using right now. It would be great to see more anointed preachers who have gone through theological education alongside the tombstone preachers with their noses up in the ear. You will see who those who are hungering will gravitate to the anointed preacher. Just something to think about, let's not shut te door to theological education or even Sunday school for that matter.
Formal education is just as important as self education when it comes to ministry. But one has a greater advantage over the other. With formal Theological education, you learn a system that does NOT cover large amounts of all that must be covered to have a SOUND ministry(in my opinion). With self education, you can go miles, and cover large amounts to have a sound ministry.

If you notice, many of your serious bible students, when they finish their theological training, they continue, and devote themselves to a lifetime of historical, grammatical, linguistical(language), and contextual study of the bible, and biblical literature. The rest of the students, over 90%, don't EVER do this study beyond their intial theological training. And it can be said, from them, we get the most errors.

Even Christians who do not go to bible school, most of them will never truly study. God bless

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service