WHAT IS HELL? DOES IT EXIST AND IF IT DOES, WHO GET'S TO GO THERE?

I simply need to know, what is hell, really? What do people say hell is? What do you say hell is? This is not a trick question. I'm just curious that's all. Hell is mentioned a lot, but the subject of hell is often avoided. Why? Isn't it just as real as everything else that is witten or preached? Well...Is it?

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sister Tara, What you say is not wrong. The unrighteous, and the wicked shall find their place in hell. Hell was not originally created for man. It was created for the devil and his angels. God prepared a place for the devil, and that place is called hell. All who choose to follow him are welcome there. There is also a place prepared for Christ, and all who will follow Him is welcome there. Thank you for your reply. I encourage your continued growth and strength in the Lord.
Pastor Melvin
There are 2 Greek words for hell. You have hades, and you have geenna. Hades is the underworld, or the grave yard, if you will, where all men go. Geenna, in its literal sense, was Jerusalem's city trash dump, where dead bodies, animals, and criminals went to be burned. Worms were always there, and the fire was always burning. Jesus used the imagery of this in figurative form for the destruction of the wicked.

When the wicked stand before God on judgement day, they will not literally be tossed in Geenna, but they will be destroyed forever. When Jesus was talking of the destruction of the wicked, he always used the word Geenna, but he never used it literally. It would make no sense if Jesus used it literally to show that after the judgement, they will go to that valley. If you look at that valley today, its not even used anymore. Its nothing but grass, and several buildings.

Actual hellfire isn't literal at all. Jesus also said that in that place, it shall be utter darkness. You cannot have utter darkness, and fire together. One would overpower the other, and we know that the light from the fire will win, and so we know that Jesus was speaking figuratively about eternal destruction.

Pastor melvin, you are a cool brother. God bless bro, love you man
Thanx for the reply Bro. Pierce,
I pray that you are having a positive and a very prosperous day. I have enjoyed our discussions together. You are a truly blessed man. I am honored to be in your company via this site. Brother, I truly do understand your logic. I don't think Jesus was meaning that they would be cast into the literal Geenna. I think that he was speaking comparitively. I believe that a certain neighborhood, or compartment of hell will be like unto a dry desert place. I do not believe that hell and the lake of fire are the same. Jesus frequently started parables with the word's "...is like unto..." whenever he was comparing earthly with heavenly; or natural with spiritual. He was comparing Gehenna with hell, so that people could get a mental picture of what hell is like unto. But what you have rendered is food for thought. I shall ponder your words further. I also don't think that it is impossible for fire and darkness to exist. It only depends on how vast the darkness is. When we gaze into the sky at night, we witness many lights that we call stars; but because the darkness of space is so vast and deep, the sky yet appears to be dark. I know that’s a longshot so we’ll look at it from another angle: Remember when God created the heavens and the earth? The bible said that it was without form and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said “LET THERE BE LIGHT”, and there was light. And God DIVIDED THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS, and the light he called day, and the darkness He called light. And the evening and the morning was the first day. Brother Pierce, He DIVIDED the light from the darkness. Is this figurative language also? If it isn’t, then why did he have to divide the light from the darkness, Is it possible that maybe they both existed on the same plain at the same time? Is it possible that before the separation and or division of the two light and darkness were in fellowship and co-existed together? But God divided them and set a natural law in motion so that light and darkness would have no fellowship, one with the other. AND GOD SAW THE LIGHT THAT IT WAS GOOD. He saw that the light was good, but He didn’t say that the darkness was good. He said “I know what dwells in darkness, but the light is with me”. He gave light power over darkness, so that when light is present; or when light comes on the seen, darkness has to flee. But how do we really know that darkness does not reign in a place called hell, in a dimension where light has no power. How do we know that he has not given darkness power in hell? Think about it. How do we know that light is commanded in such a place to exist even. And if such is the case, there can be fire without light. The ways of God are past finding out. God’s ability far exceeds our logic. We are confounded by His wisdom. However, my dear brother, what you say is very conceivable. I shall look more into it. I guess we'll see and know for sure someday, when that which is perfect is come. But in the meantime it's fun digging for these nuggets just the same. Be blessed forever o’ man of God. Stay focused, and stay sharp, steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the Word of our Lord.
Pastor Melvin
Hey brother. I trust all is well with you. Recently, I have been studying the Historical backgrounds of the Old Testament. What I found out is that the Genesis account isn't the only creation account. There are several creation accounts that was documented before the Genesis account was even written, such as the Babylonian Enuma Elish, and the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Right now, I am learning this, and the authors are experts in old testament history, and its very interesting that, in the ancient world, there were dozens of creation stories. What was stated was that Genesis was not about the beginning of the world, but more of how dominate the Jewish God was over the cannanite, babylonian, and egyptian gods. The Pagan gods created humans out of deitic conflict, but the Jewish God did not.

But, for now, I will go with the fact that Genesis is indeed, literal. God separated the light from darkness, sure. But bro, think about this, Jesus said that this place of eternal judgement is UTTER darkness w/ fire, and of course, always referring to Geenna.

I do not think that Jesus was comparing the physical Geenna w/ a physical Geenna. How do I know this? Because Figurative language isnt meant to compare to whats literal. If its figurative, then there's no room for the literalness of it.

When Jesus spoke to the crowds, and the pharisees, scribes, sadducess, and essenses, He spoke so that they will never understand him. When Jesus told them they will never escape eternal damnation in Geenna, automatically, they will think on the literal side, and say," How can someone burn forever in the valley of hinnom?" Or, they may say," How does the worm not die in Geenna?"

Being that those are the cases, Jesus was not making comparisons between the literal valley of hinnom(Geenna), and the spiritual one. I believe that when the wicked die, they will be destroyed, and will not exist anymore. That's their eternal punishment, that they will be forever destroyed, never to see life. Only the righteous will live forever.

As always brother, I do enjoy talking with you, and we have great talks, even in our disagreements. We are still brothers in Christ! God bless bro, and live well!
Cool. I understand Brother Pierce, what you say. And it is again, very compelling. But I believe the wall of disagreement that we have encountered lies in the words FIGURATIVE, and COMPARATIVE. You say Jesus was speaking figuratively. I say He was speaking comparatively. Our concept of hell is different because we view it from a different angle. You say He was speaking figuratively. Who told you that? Who told you that Jesus was speaking figuratively? Did He say it, or did you read it? I've heard many spokesmen in my time. Usually when a wise man speaks figuratively he says, "of course I'm speaking figuratively when I say...blah blah blah". Now Jesus is a wise man. When Jesus used parables, or should I say, COMparables, he would say "...is like unto...". Thus comparing spiritual things with that which can be understood by the carnal. The simplicity of the gospel is what makes it so hard for men to grasp. We think, “There’s got to be more to it than this. I must seek for a deeper, hidden meaning”. God does not speak with a forked tongue. He say what he means, and he mean what he says. People say, when Jesus healed the blind man and told him to go and tell no man, He really meant for him to tell. They reason that the best way to get someone to tell something is to tell them not to tell. I believe that Jesus did not want the man to tell, and He told him so. It wasn’t time to tell. If Jesus spoke of a place called hell, then surely it exists. The so-called experts have concluded that He spoke figuratively because this is comfortable for them. It makes more sense. But no man knows the mind of a man save the spirit that is in him, and no man knows the mind of God, save the Holyghost. We are yet in a learning stage. Man has been trying to figure out God, and the mind of God since the dawn of time. Brother, if the revelation did not come from God, how can we know that it is true? How can we put more confidence in what man has said God meant, as opposed to what has been written? Don’t get me wrong, we are supposed to study. But we will do well if we would let our studying be guided by the true and only teacher; the Holy Spirit of God. You are a wise man, Brother Pierce, Yet you have elected to place your confidence in the knowledge of the authors of the Babylonian Enuma Elish, and the Epic of Gilgamesh.
because they are experts on old testament history? I am sure that there is much we can glean from their knowledge, but I’ll have to say. I have no confidence in their ability to unfold the mysteries of God. Genesis didn’t have to be written to show God’s dominance over other gods. He is God. There are no other gods. You and I both know that no pagan god ever created humans out of deitic conflict or other wise. We know that God made man, period. This is garbage, and we both know it. The book of Genesis simply tells us of our beginning, and our relationship to God in the scheme of this world that we live in. I should hope that you will not only go with the fact for now, that Genesis is literal, but that you would stay with the fact. Once again you are correct in saying, Figurative language is not meant to be taken literally. But again I ask, who said it was figurative? This my friend is where the rubber meets the road. I do not say that men shall live and burn in hell forever. I only say they shall burn. The bible does not say they will be immortal, that they shall suffer in the flames for all eternity. The lost will not have incorruptible bodies. Therefore their bodies shall be burned, but the smoke shall ascend forever. Look at the dead. See how many have died in the last 6000 years. Their bodies have become nothing but dust. Some are only dry bones. We could be very well walking on the residue of dead folks everyday. Their place is not found among us, yet they still exist. For at the time of the resurrection of the dead, the dead in Christ shall rise first; bone to his bone, flesh to his flesh. After judgment, he will be given an incorruptible body. But the ungodly are not so. This body that we do not see, will gather itself together, and it shall be raised from the grave also, to be judged. But it will not be incorruptible. After judgment it shall return to the grave, and shall perish in the lake of fire with the grave. Death shall be destroyed there also, so go figure. But the smoke will ascend forever. Hey, the smoke’s gotta go somewhere. The pharisees, scribes, sadducess, and essences, and nim were idiots. They were none for asking the dumb questions. Their logic and their wisdom was their snare and their vice. When Jesus said, “You must be born again”, Nick asked, how can a man be born when he is old, can he re-enter his mothers womb to be born again? Jesus only answered, Marvel not that I say you must be born again…THAT WHICH IS BORN OF THE FLESH IS FLESH, AND THAT WHICH IS BORN OF THE SPIRIT IS SPIRIT. These men were not spiritual at all. They were still trying to fit Bullwinkle and rocky squirrel into the equation (LOL). Just kidding. But they were blind. They were experts, and they were blind. Jesus compared spiritual things with things that they can see, so that the spiritual might be understood. He wasn’t trying to hide anything. Those who had ear to hear, heard. The invisible things of God from the beginning of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead. Keep pressing brother. There is more of God which you have of God that you have not yet activated. Stir it up brother. There is greatness in you. Pastor Melvin.
I have been doing research on biblical figures of speech. Jesus said in Mark 13 that, to you(disciples), the secrets of the kingdom have been given. To the crowds, he speaks in parables, or, figurative language, so that they will not understand, or perceive by their eyes, and by their ears.

Jesus never spoke plainly to the pharisees, sadducees, essenses, and scribes. Their heart was hardened. When Jesus talked about eternal judgement to them, he always spoke it in figurative language, such as the figures of the valley of hinnom to eternal death.

For example, Luke 16 is a figurative story. Most Christians would say its about hell, but its really not. Verse 31 gives the actual meaning to the story of the rich man and lazarus.

Another way to tell if something is figurative, and or literal, are the original languages. For example, In Luke 16, it says,"In hell, the rich man lifted up his eyes." The Greek word for hell here is the word Hades. Hades is literally, the grave. When its figuratively used, as its used here, it is described as a place, where you feel pain, and agony, where you are aware, and alive.

Geenna is an automatic giveaway. When Jesus starts to talk about eternal destruction, and he uses this word(which is the literal valley of hinnom), you know its figurative.

Human souls will not be going to this valley after the final judgement, less you believe that God will light the valley back up, lol(Literally). If you look at the valley today, its completely desolate. All you will see is grass, dirt, and buildings. That valley is no longer used, as you have read.

As far as the biblical account is concerned. I do not rely on the knowledge of those experts, But, I want to be very receptive to the truth, and if the truth shows us that Genesis is another creation story, then thats what I will believe. But, even if Genesis is just another creation story, it does not make it worthless, for the near eastern world had a purpose in creating creation stories.

We as believers in Christ will automatically believe that Genesis is true, because its in the bible, and we believe God's word to be true. But, I know that you are familiar of Textual criticism, and that there are errors within the word. If you believe the bible is perfect, then it will be hard for you to see that.

Its no mystery that the ancients used near eastern myth to show what they believed. God himself used the environment of the ancient world to communicate to his people. Just because something in the bible is myth, it does not make it false, and or worthless to our lives.

For example, Seraphim, and cheribum have great significance within the near eastern world. These composite creatures are known to the cover the throne of the gods. Seraphim is only seen 1 time in the bible, and thats the book of Isaiah(chapter 6). Seraphim are, what the ancients called in the near eastern world, flying serpent creatures, and also fiery creatures.

The author of Isaiah used these creatures as being seen worshiping God around his throne, but there is significance of these creatures, because they are also seen in Assyrian, and babylonian carvings, surrounding babylon and assyrian gods, worshiping them.

Indeed, the ancient Israelites used the environment of their world to communicate their God to the world, and yes, I believe that Abba is the true, and only God.

I believe it is our job to study the word in its historical, culture, and linguistical stage. The word of God is an ancient document, so we cannot make the error of trying to interpret it based on 21st century understanding. The bible is full of figures of speech, and we must study to know whats literal, and whats figurative.

I always rely on the Holy Spirit my brother, even if its revealed to me that something is literal, and or figurative, and even mythical. Let us not hold on to beliefs we grew up believing, and what may hinder us from further understanding the word of God on a higher level
Tooshay my friend. Until I arrive to a greater understanding of that which I have known, I will hold my tongue. I perceive that I shall neither persuade you, nor you me. I have considered carefully the things you have said, but I do not think that you have heard me. Again, it is an honor to discuss these mysteries with someone of your caliber. Keep the faith my brother, and may God bless you richly. I shall make a request for fiendship. Please accept my request so that I might give you my contact info.
Pastor Mel.
Of course I will accept your request brother. God bless you
My brother Yaakov, I must say that you are inaccurate about one particular thing: the wicked will NOT be utterly destroyed and will in fact have an eternal existence within the Lake of Fire. There is a particular chapter that is often neglected, and that is Revelation chapter 20. You were right about the Greek words for Hades and Gehenna, but the Bible says something very clear both in the Gospels and in the book of Revelation: the wicked will awaken to everlasting punishment. Revelation 20:14 says Death and Hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. The spirit of Death at that point does not exist anymore. If the spirit of Death is no longer around to torment of have dominion, then all of GOD's creation have eternal life. there is no escape from the everlasting torment at that point. No one is destroyed and ceases to exist. Revelation 20:10 says that the devil, anti-christ, and false prophet were all cast into the lake of fire to be TORMENTED DAY AND NIGHT FOREVER. To be tormented in such a way means that you will have to actually have an eternal existence. The same will happen to the non-believer in verse 15. This is true because the anti-christ (also a human being) will have an eternal torment as well.

The notion that the punishment is but for a short while due to total destruction is actually a false doctrine. Gnostics and present day Jehovah's Witnesses believe that doctrine, in which the Bible never gave any support to.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service