Matthew 23:5-12(New Living Translation) - "Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear extra long tassels on their robes. And how they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the most prominent seats in the synagogue! They enjoy the attention they get on the streets, and they enjoy being called `Rabbi.' Don't ever let anyone call you `Rabbi,' for you have only one teacher, and all of you are on the same level as brothers and sisters. And don't address anyone here on earth as `Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father. And don't let anyone call you `Master,' for there is only one master, the Messiah. The greatest among you must be a servant. But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

This scripture deals with how Jesus explained to his disciples and the crowds that they should not be like the Pharisees, who were bad influences. I say that the Pharisees were bad influences because they live contrary to what they preach, they focus on glamour and prestige, and seek attention from men.

Right now, there are people in the church who do church work and ministry for the wrong reasons. They'll do it to get special seats, kudos, prestige, and recognition. Also, there are people who would think that ministry is about clothes, titles, nice cars, mansions, and being recognized. But ministry is not about prestige and glamour. Ministry means to get your hands dirty for the Lord or what we call it service. Every believer is a minister, believe it or not. Ministry doesn't necessarily have to be pulpit. Also, you don't have to have a title attached to your name to be a minister. Yes, there are people who wish that they were T.D. Jakes, Paula White, Juanita Bynum, Clarence E. McClendon, Eddie L. Long, Joyce Meyer, or other famous preachers because of their clothing, anointing, preaching style, cars, houses, etc. You need to understand that to have the anointing they have, you have alot of suffering and praying to do.

So sad that ministers would be show-offs with titles including Apostle, Bishop, Reverend, Pastor, Prophet, Evangelist, Archbishop, Overseer, etc. Also, they could impress people with clerical garments (Backwards collars and robes). They'll use titles when they know that they're not appointed to the office and have a special ministerial gift. Don't get me wrong. I'm not speaking out against those Ministers in the church who have special titles and wear clerical garments. Yes, I believe that the clerical garments have symbolic meanings. But the point that I'm stating is that it's wrong to do ministry in order to impress others.

Talking about how the Pharisees loved being recognized as leaders, there are alot of people who want to be leaders instead of servants. Everybody wants to be in authority, but not under the authority. Jesus did not say that it's not okay to desire to be a leader. But, in order for you to be a leader, you must be a servant. How on earth do you expect to lead by example when you refuse to be a servant. Remember John 13:1-17 when Jesus washed the feet of the Disciples to show an example of what servanthood is. Every leader must be a servant not only to God, but also to the people. You know that the Cassock symbolizes what Jesus wore when He was a humble servant and the Cinture symbolizes the towel that Jesus used to wipe the Disciple's feet. Also, the Clerical Collar a.k.a. "The Backwards collar" symbolizes how the person is enslaved to the Lord's work. If you want to know what ministry is all about, take a missionary trip to the ghetto part of Brazil or go to the streets to minister to strippers, hookers, pimps, man whores, drug dealers, mobsters, drug addicts, homeless people, and panhandlers.

I hope that this message is a blessing to you. If you enjoy this message, give me an amen. Remember, ministry is not about prestige and glamour. It's about service!!!

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Be humble and stick to the WORD!!! ant then all of the things you speak of won't even bother you, for then you will be thee servant God has called you to be.
YOU BETTER PREACH!!!!

I'm with you on his one brotha! We as men and women of God have allowed the honor of serving God and his people to be morphed into a glamorous position of power and prestige. Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with a powerful preacher! But when it gets to our heads, it's ridiculous!

The problem as I see it is, the pulpit is full of people with low self esteem. Thats why I gotta preach "better" than you, and dress better than you. Thats why we "steal" sermons, and create doctrines that make us popular.

It ain't about us! This is a responsibility! This is an honor. And we who do not look at it as such will be judged accordingly! Remember we serve a jealous God. His glory is HIS!
AMEN,the book of PROVERBS speaks of humilty, honor and foolishness. PROVERBS 15:33 stands out to me, The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom: and before honour humilty. Jesus is KING and he came to serve so we have no right to act as if we did something. I remember some years ago when I see people operate in the spirit of pride it used to get me so upset because they would act so cocky or look a someone as if they were on the throne and most of them were ones with the titles in front of thier names. GOD really had to deal with me in that area so that when I got to the place that he ordained for my life I knew what to NOT do. I am mindful of people that would try to puff up my flesh with the words " YOU ARE SO ANOINTED" I kindly declare to them TO GOD BE THE GLORY for we must stay humble because it is not about us it about GOD.
AMEN BROTHER IN CHRIST, YOU COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER. THERE IS A THIN LINE BETWEEN EXCELLANCE AND IDOLITRY.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service