Is this a subject that is taboo, hard to speak about, hard to understand or what? This is my third and final attempt to get this subject discussed. I don't understand why no one wants to discuss this unless it's as hard for you as it is for me to understand. I've had Dr Gadsden and Minister West respond and I thank you for that. It's ok if we don't understand something because talking about it gives understanding if it's God's Will.

I wasn't so sure and thought speaking in tongues was simply the ability for those filled with the Holy Spirit to be able to speak all the earthly languages that they once couldn't understand or speak, I used the scripture in Acts with Peter as my understanding and also where Paul was talking about God's gifts but I was unclear until Sister Gadsden and Brother West enlightened me. Can I get some more views please, thank you in advance.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A Thought from Another Forum
I was always believing that speaking in tongues meant the people were engulfed with the Holy Spirit and then started understanding tongues such as Greek, Hebrew, Italian and such where before they only knew their own tongue.

Dr. Maxcina
Yes, this happened at Pentecost read the book of Acts.
This has happen to several Preachers that I know of. They went to a foreign country to minister and all of sudden they were speaking the native tonque without assistance.

This happens when the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Another level in Christ.

Types of Indwelling of the Holy Spirit

Direct—Personal. God’s active and direct infusion of His Spirit into humanity. To the end that deity dwells within the human bodies of men and women; who are literal residences of God. In the scripture, applies only to Jesus. “So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.” {Matthew 1:22,23}

Indirect—Representative. Implies an indwelling that comes through an effort on the part of the believer to imbibe God’s personality into his own. This results in the reflection of the characteristics of God in the believer’s life. This indwelling occurs through, and only through, mental concepts, drawn from Biblical precepts. In this manner, God speaks to, leads, and dwells in man.

Immediate. Conveys the idea of having nothing come between; there is no intermediary or intermediation; the indwelling is not secondary or remote. If this be so, we are affirming that the Deity dwells, without the intermediation of His word, or the invention of any other object, in person, inside the believer. Deity is actually and literally in the human body. This is a fancy way of saying “personal indwelling.”

Mediate. Mediate conveys the idea of acting through an intervening cause or agent, not directly; to act as an intermediary or medium in effecting and bringing about the changes in my personal behavior.
Sister Shirley I don't feel you have to be a preacher to receive God's gifts. I thank you for sharing this with me and anyone that reads this discussion. I didn't understand fully until Minister West and Sister Gadsden's teaching and now you. I just know that God is so great and awesome because He answers me not only in His Word but through some of my Sisters and Brothers in Christ as you , and Dr Gadsden and Minister West. May God continue to bless you.
I agree! God wisdom and knowledge is for everyone who is hungry. The WORD is for everyone who seek after HIm.
Speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues
"I wish you all spoke with tongues..." 1 Corinthians 14:5 excerpt - NKJV

What is speaking in tongues?
• Definitions: Tongues: "ecstatic, usually unintelligible utterance accompanying religious excitation" Ecstasy: "a state of overwhelming emotion; especially: rapturous delight" (both from Webster's Dictionary)
• Speaking in tongues is a unique way of communicating with God, and edifying oneself and/or others (1 Corinthians 14:4-5). It is most often used in prayer and worship.
• Tongues and interpretation are gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:28, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11).
• Tongues speak to God through "mysteries" of the spirit (1 Corinthians 14:2). Similarly, praying in tongues is praying with the spirit and singing in tongues is singing in the spirit. The natural man will not understand these manifestations unless interpretation is given (1 Corinthians 14:2, 14).
• Tongues can be a sign that a person follows Jesus Christ, but it is not a requirement (Mark 16:17)

Why speak in tongues?
• We receive edification needed for spiritual warfare (1 Corinthians 14:4). Tongues are like "spiritual battery charging”. Spiritual warfare often weakens faith and hope, and tongues can help rebuild them. Paul spoke more in tongues than many Christians (1 Corinthians 14:18), and it is likely that he used tongues to edify himself during his many tribulations and trials (2 Corinthians 11:22-31).
• The effectiveness of our intercessory prayer is increased: When we don't know how to pray, tongues directly engages the intercession of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:26).
• Our communication and worship of God is carried to a deeper spiritual level (1 Corinthians 14:2)
• It is an opportunity to yield ourselves to God in humility. Speaking in tongues surrenders our human desire for control and understanding to God.

Points about tongues and interpretation:
• 1 Corinthians 14 is a key reference chapter for tongues. See 1 Corinthians 12-13 for helpful information on all the gifts of the Spirit.
• Tongues may take the form of an unknown (1 Corinthians 14:2 , 2 Corinthians 12:2-6) or known language (Acts 2:8-12)
• As with all Spirit's gifts, tongues and interpretation should be grounded in love (1 Corinthians 13:1,4-7)
• Tongues should be exercised in a peaceful, organized manner, not in confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33)
• A person speaking in tongues should pray that he may interpret (1 Corinthians 14:13)
• Tongues in a worship service are best done with interpretation, so that all people present are edified (1 Corinthians 14:26-28). Paul explained that there should be two or at most three people speaking in turn; one person (at least) should interpret; if there is no one to interpret, the speaker should keep silent, speaking to himself and God (1 Corinthians 14:27-28).
• People should not ascribe tongues or other works of the Spirit to the work of Satan (Matthew 12:22-32), nor should they forbid speaking in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:39).

The Apostle Paul’s comments on tongues: Paul wrote the majority of Bible's guidance on tongues. Paul mentioned in 1 Corinthians 14:18 that he spoke in tongues more than any of the Corinthians. He also witnessed a form of tongues ("inexpressible words" NKJV) during a miraculous revelation in heaven (2 Corinthians 12:2-6). His comments provide expert guidance on the subject:
• Paul desired that all the Corinthian Christians would have spoken in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:5).
• People who spoke in tongues should pray for interpretation of the tongues (1 Corinthians 14:14)
• Paul found it best to engage his mind when he prayed or sang with the spirit in case interpretation might be given (1 Corinthians 14:15).
• For group gatherings, he preferred to speak in plain language so that all present could be edified (1 Corinthians 14:19).

Examples of tongues in the early church: The accounts of speaking in tongues in the New Testament coincide with special moves of the Holy Spirit, when the believers received a "filling" of the Holy Spirit:
• Acts 2:1-13 – Jews at Pentecost are filled with the Spirit and speak in tongues
• Acts 10:45-47 -- Gentiles receive the Spirit at Cornelius’ house and speak in tongues
• Acts 19:5-7 – Ephesians Christians filled with the Spirit and speak in tongues

Discover the gift of tongues
What if I don’t want to pray in tongues? It is not mandatory that every Christian speak in tongues, and his/her salvation certainly does not depend on it. God will not force His gifts on anyone, as He is gentle and patient. If you don’t feel comfortable praying in tongues, then don't! You can still pray effectively with confidence that God will hear and intercede in your prayers.

Speaking in tongues is often used in prayer in the Spirit. Tongues are a vehicle by which our spirit prays, while our mind may or may not understand what we are praying. Paul described this in 1 Corinthians 14:14-15 NIV: "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind." Some people refer to tongues as a special "prayer language." Paul mentioned that he frequently spoke in tongues and wished that other believers would do the same (1 Corinthians 14:5, 18).

Prayer in the Spirit is an important, ongoing activity of spiritual warfare. Paul included it in his discussion of the whole armor of God in Ephesians 6:18 and Jude mentioned it in his epistle:
"Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints" Ephesians 6:18 NKJV

“But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life” Jude 20-21 NIV
Our Role: There are two participants involved with prayer in the Spirit - the Holy Spirit and us. Our part is to pray “always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit” and “to be watchful with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.” This does not mean that we have to be on our knees all day and night with eyes closed in prayer. Prayer in the Spirit is an inner activity of the mind and spirit where we maintain a type of open dialogue with God through the Holy Spirit. Outward actions such as bowing the head and closing the eyes may help us focus better on God, but it’s the inner communication with God that matters most.

In order to always be in prayer, we’ll need to be in control of our thoughts. When our thoughts are stuck on sinful fantasies, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to be in prayer. This is one of the reasons why we are to use the spiritual weapons God gives us to continually be “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV).

The definition of supplication is "asking for humbly or earnestly, as by praying" (American Heritage Dictionary). Prayer is an acknowledgement that we are not in control and need God to intervene. This attitude opens the door for communication with God, who can direct and apply our prayers in ways far beyond our understanding. Therefore, when we pray to God, we should do so earnestly in humility, inviting the Holy Spirit to work in the situation as God wills. It is really that simple.

The Spirit's Role: Once we’ve prayed, the Spirit intercedes for us and pleads in our behalf according to God’s will. Paul described how the Spirit intercedes in Romans 8:26-27:
“26So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.
27And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the [Holy] Spirit [what His intent is], because the Spirit intercedes and pleads [before God] in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God's will.” Romans 8:26-27 AMP

Leaving prayer concerns in God's hands can be challenging for us if we’re prone to being in control and thinking we know what God should do. Too often prayer becomes us telling God what to do, i.e. praying our will instead of his will be done (Matthew 6:10). In situations where God's will is unclear, we should take care not to presume his will. Praying in the Spirit doesn't require that we speak intelligible words, but simply that we lift up the situation to God, and trust that the Holy Spirit will intercede perfectly for us.

What prayer in the Spirit accomplishes: There are some important things that happen when we pray in the Spirit.

Specifically, prayer in the Spirit:
• Perfects our prayer (Romans 8:26)
• Takes our case directly before God (Romans 8:27)
• Increases effectiveness of prayer for others (intercessory prayer) (Romans 8:27)
• Aligns our prayer with God's will (Romans 8:26-27)
Let’s begin by establishing one basic fact. In the Christian’s life each phase -- being called and coming to Christ, as well as the relationship with God as His child -- begins, continues, and finishes with the Holy Spirit’s help. Does this mean the Holy Spirit dwells inside us, to help us? Let us allow the scriptures to speak:

“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” {1 Corinthians 6:19,20}

“But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.” {Romans 8:9-11}

“Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.” {1 Corinthians 3:16,17}

“That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us.”{2 Timothy 2:14}
I'm just going to respond to all you've said here Sister Gadsden. I've told you before and meant/mean every word, my God has blessed you with His Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding and I'm blessed to hear and learn. You will find that I am so hungry for God's Word and I pray everyday for His Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding and to shut mine down and not allow myself to try to figure Him and analyze His Word but to accept His Word in all It's truth and glory. He has certainly done this with you. Thank you and be ready because I have so much more to ask and will start discussions. Praise God because the glory is His.
Amen!
My first reference tool is God, Jesus The Christ and The Holy Spirit for wisdom and understanding.

The reference materials which I use are many. Being a graduate from a Seminary with Doctorate of Theology, you tend to do alot of research.

Some of Dr. Maxcina Reference Materials:

Bibles (Various) Especially a Subject Bible and a Study Bible
Concordance (EXHAUSTIVE)

Heavenly Tongues or Earthly Languages
By: Gary Goodell

N.T. Teaching On Tongues
By: Merrill F. Unger

Answering Your Questions About Speaking in Tongues
By: Larry Christenson

The Hidden Power of Speaking in Tongues
By: Mahesh Chavda

They Speak with Other Tongues, 40th ann. ed.
By: John L. Sherrill

Bible Dictionaries:
Evangelical Dictionary of Theology
New Unger's Bible Dictionary

Multi-Volume Commentary Series:
NIV Application Commentary Series
Holman New Testament Commentary Series
New International Commentary Series

One Volume Bible Commentaries:
Bible Knowledge Commentary
New International Bible Commentary

Theology Books: