I would like to address the problem of Acts 15. Make sure all of your pre-conceived understandings of what I am about to say are set aside, and open your mind. Before one jumps forward to the conclusion of Acts 15, one must ask themselves,"Why did the Jerusalem council come together, and what was the problem?" The problem is laid out in Acts 15's premise, verses 1-2:

Acts 15:1-2,"But some men came down from Judea and were teaching the brothers, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” And after Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and debate with them, Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question.

As we see here in Acts 15's premise, the reason why this council of Jerusalem came together, was because certain men were teaching that If you are not circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved. Paul and the Apostles came together to discuss this very matter., and its so much to the reasons they came together.

First off, we have to consider some key things before actually diving into Acts 15. Background information is critical here. Notice that these men, who were most likely Jews, was teaching that circumcision saves you, and that it is according to the custom of Moses. I have come to tell you that there is not one single verse in God's law that even hints that circumcision saves a person.

The bible does shows us that God commanded his people to be circumised, because it is the sign of the covenant He made with Abraham. The consequence of not being circumcised was being cut off from his people, and not be apart of Israel, and the covenant. The scripture states In Genesis 17:10-13,"And this is the covenant which you shall fully keep between Me and you, and between your descendants after you for their generations; every male of you shall be circumcised. And you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and you. And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised by you, every male throughout your generations, and the servant born in the house and he that is bought with money, of every son of a stranger, who is not of your offspring. He that is born in your house, and he that is bought with money shall surely be circumcised, and My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant."

The scripture clealy shows us what circumcision really is according to the written law of Moses, and not from traditions. Get circumcised as a sign of the Abrahamic covenant. Each person, including the Gentiles that went with Israel, had to undergo this commandment.

The bible shows us that Abraham was saved before circumcision was ever a law. Romans 4:3 states,"Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” You can attest to this fact. So, the premise of Act s 15 is really showing us that its not actually the written custom of Moses that tells us salvation comes through circumcision, rather, it is the written customs of man that teaches this.

Take note of Jesus' words in Mark 7:6-8: This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men. You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.

Notice the phrase where Jesus said that they leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men. That's exactly what's happening here in Acts 15. It is the mere posing of man's traditions on the followers of Jesus and the Israelites. And so they are bringing these traditions into question at the council. These traditions are what ancient, and modern Rabbis refer to as "fences", which guard around the written law to conceal the truth of actual interpretation.

Another key thing to understand is that Jews back then, and even in this day and age, still hold the Oral law(Talmud) in higher esteem than the actual written law that is outlined in the 1st five books of the bible. In their world, and today's world, a Rabbi's word will take 1st place over,"This is what the LORD says, or it is written." This is the exact background of Acts 15.

So, now you understand that its not the custom of Moses that command circumcision for salvation, but its the custom of man that does, for Jesus said,"You leav e the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.

Now, the Apostles are there confronting this very premise, and Peter made the truth of the Gospel very clear to them all. He stated this truth in Acts 15:11,"But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.”

Do you see that? Peter refuted any salvation by the law, and made the Gospel statement, that we are saved by the grace of the Lord Jesus, and that the Gentiles will be saved the same way. Paul attested to what Peter said concerning salvation in Christ when he said in Eph 2:8-9,"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." There is no separate law, or salvation for the Jew & Gentile. All are one in Christ, and all are saved by Christ, and not the law.

Lets get to the four laws that all the Apostles agreed upon to give the Gentile believers as the intial acceptance into the Messianic Jewish community. It is the common misunderstanding, and possible deception, to believe that these four laws that were given to the Gentiles are the only laws that they will ever have to follow in their walk with Jesus. But, is this actually true?

Let us take a closer look at these 4 laws:

abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols

From scripture, and historical background information, we know t hat things that have been sacrificed to idols are food. Even Jews are not to eat anything sacrificed to pagan gods. In the Greco-Roman world, this practice was carried out in the pagan temples, where they would have feasts, and eat meat that was given to idol gods for their own pleasures. This actually breaks the 1st commandment in Exodus 20:3,"You shall have no other gods beside Me".

from blood

Dealing with Blood, Lev 17:12,"Therefore I said to the children of Israel, ‘No soul of you shall eat blood, and the stranger that abides among you shall not eat blood." Technically, the Apostles were agreeing that Gentiles follow Torah here. The word stranger here refers to Gentile peoples, for the record. If Gentiles are to live with, and be in covenant with Hebrews, then they are to adhere to their laws.

from what has been strangled

To get a clear understanding of what this actually means, one must look into the culture of the Greco-Roman people. It is shown that when these pagans do their sacrifices to eat them, they would strangle the animal, and technically, blood will be trapped in their flesh. The animal is not properly drained. Jews were commanded to stay away from this as well. Them eating strangled animals will violate the command to not eat blood. Thus, Gentiles were commanded to keep Torah here.

from sexual immorality

Lev 18 clearly gives us laws dealing with sex, and that Jews should stay away from any sexual conduct that violates Torah. Gentiles were to do the same thing, and hence, they are following Torah on here.

What am I showing? I am showing that Gentiles still obeyed Torah, and I am also showing you that these four laws were what the pagans actually did. In other words, they ate meat given to idols, things strangled, ate blood, and fornicated.

But why give them just these four laws to obey? The answer is interesting here.

Jews of that time were already offended that uncircumcised people(Gentiles) were going into the courts, and synagogues, learning their laws. They did not even want to be around Gentiles. In order to not offend the Jewish community, and, in other words, make them feel good, the Apostles wanted these Gentiles to keep these four basic laws that everyone agreed on to get them accepted into the community. By the Apostles agreeing to these four laws, they would be accepted by the Jews, and this would lead to the understanding of verse 21.

James also states a great statement that most Christians miss. He stated in acts 15:21,"For from ancient generations Moses has had in every city those who proclaim him, for he is read every Sabbath in the synagogues.”

In other words, Every city has someone teaching God's laws every Sabbath, and eventually, the Gentile believer would learn of their new God, and his laws every sabbath. In fact, this is the only time they could hear the Old Testament---The Sabbath! By doing this, th ese new Gentile believers would also be learning about the Sabbath day and how to keep it. It would not make sense to cram every law of the Torah down their thrats right then and there, therefore, they would learn all the law every Sabbath. James gave those laws to get them accepted into the community, and to start them off with the law, which is the right thing to do with Gentiles who were not born into the Hebrew faith.

One may mention Acts 15:10 where it talks about putting yokes around the necks of the Apostles, and others that want to follow God. The yoke is not the law of God. The Law of God was never looked on as a yoke of burden. If that was true, then all the prophets would have been in trouble, and they would not have blessed God's law. Paul said in Romans 3:31,"Do we then overthrow the law by this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the law." Its no use to uphold a law that is burdensome, and cannot be kept. God's word declares that we can keep his law, and its not a burden. Duet 30:11,"For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off."

In fact, Paul stated in romans 7:12,"So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good." No burden at all. 1 John 5:3 states that Gods commandments are NOT burdensome. So, the yoke he mentions is not referring to the Law itself, but of the TRADITIONS OF MAN, which these traditions forces the law to become a burden to men.

This is why they did not want to put everything on these new Gentile believers. They would eventually learn the Law every Sabbath(Acts 15:21), so that they will learn the TRUTH of the law so that it would not be a burden resulting from Men's traditions. I believe I have addressed this problem of Acts 15, and I hope your mind stays open to learning of the wonders of God's holy law and prophets, for it is the foundation for which all of God's word incepts(begins).

1 John 5:3,"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome."

Shalom

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

Yuri,

My model for Christianity is the founder himself, who had his disciples to pick and eat corn on the Sabbath, proving that relentless observation of the Torah does not end in life but in death. Such observation of the Torah is void of the spirit, purpose, compassion, love, mercy, peace, etc. of God. #1 it can't be done... #2 it was never meant to be done... #3 Jesus Christ did not do it.

Picking corn on the Sabbath is not a sin. No such law written in the torah. It was the ORAL TRADITIONS OF MAN that Jesus condemned from the mouth of certain Pharisees. Again as I stated before, the Torah is a duality. It contains the blessing and the curse. ONLY the curse ends in death. NOT the blessing. I need you to understand that.
>>> Picking corn on the Sabbath is not a sin. No such law written in the torah. It was the ORAL TRADITIONS OF MAN that Jesus condemned from the mouth of certain Pharisees. Again as I stated before, the Torah is a duality. It contains the blessing and the curse. ONLY the curse ends in death. NOT the blessing. I need you to understand that. br />

Was it about picking corn? NO! There was no oral tradition either that said you could not pick corn of the Sabbath. The issue was "WORKING ON THE SABBATH" which the Torah does forbide.

Why does one WORK? To eat!!! To live!!!

Picking corn was working of the sabbath day; the Torah forbade working on the Sabbath day; Jesus had his disciples to work by picking corn on the sabbath day.
Yuri,

HA ha ha brother. Neither Jesus or the Apostles worked on the Sabbath. Jesus perfectly stayed inline with his father's teaching. If picking corn on the sabbath was a sin, then why didn't Jesus correct them?

There is NO written law stating that we cannot do such a thing on the sabbath. You NOT being a Torah student would not know such a thing, but I bid you to read the torah yourself. Many Pharisees and Rabbis of the day regarded the oral law OVER the written law.

They said it was sin to eat with dirty hands, heal on the sabbath, and pick grain. NO SUCH LAW in the WRITTEN TORAH.

Jesus would NOT be the messiah if he caused his brother's to sin. If Jesus did that, then he would be disqualified to be the PERFECT sacrifice for our sins. THINK Yuri. Put your titles and degrees down! That violates Lev 19:18. Ohhh Yuri, why is your mind soo carnel to the words of Yahweh?
WOW James,

It is you who cannot see passed the Law to the Spirit.

If picking corn is not work THEEEEEEEEEEEN what is it???

Could you please define "WORK?"

Please explain how "picking corn" is not "work..."

At what point would picking corn become work... 2 ears... 3 ears, 100 ears, 1000 ears???
Yuri,

You have no foundational understanding of the law and the Prophets. You must first prove to me where it was ok to break the sabbath, and that picking corn on the sabbath was sin. Show me in the law??? If you can show me in the law, then you have case.

If you cannot show me in the law, then you are just assuming that they were "on the job" picking corn on shabbat. Yuri, show me in the law where picking corn was a sin???
Yuri,

I find it demonic of you to believe Jesus would break his father's law. If he did, then why are you trusting JESUS, a sinful rabbi, as YOUR messiah??
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

Was the problem here that Peter was sitting at the same table with the gentiles while eating only Jewish food? Of course not!!!

He was eating from the gentile table.... eating that which the law forbade...

These were not unconverted Jews that came to visit, but Jews who understood and knew gentiles were now in the fellowship. They had no problem with Peter sitting and eating with Jews. The only hang-up in the New Testament church after the Holy Spirit fail on Gentiles in chapter 10 is "should they have to obey the Torah?" The #1 thing would have been "circumcision"... Now if the Gentiles don't have to obey the command to be circumcised, then every observance which follows that is obsolete as well.

If circumcision is of the "heart" than every other outward sign of distinction such as foods, days, sacrifices, etc. is of the heart as well. It is just that simple.

P.S. I find it interesting that you would attempt to use the NT to prove your point, and at the same time attempt to totally invalidate the NT as unreliable.

Let's say that Peter was sitting there eating unclean food, then that would mean he was sinning. Peter was acting hypocritically! Circumcision of the heart is similar to the ritual purity of heart. these does not cancel out the law.

Yuri, what biblical character can you give me that lives exactly how you live----apart from the law?
>>> Let's say that Peter was sitting there eating unclean food, then that would mean he was sinning.

James,

How can you call any food unclean when God has called it clean?

You may not understand that, but Peter did and was sitting and eating clean foods that used to be unclean under the old covenant.

>>> Peter was acting hypocritically!

Yes he was... because he believed eating clean foods that used to be unclean under the old covenant, but begin to act as if he did not when certain came from James.

>>> Circumcision of the heart is similar to the ritual purity of heart. these does not cancel out the law.

Circumcision was not about purity; it was a sign of being under law introduce in Gen 17 indicating that all who were it the household of Abraham were subject to the commands of God.

>>> Yuri, what biblical character can you give me that lives exactly how you live----apart from the law?

My example is Jesus who had his disciples "TO WORK" by picking corn on the sabbath day which the Torah forbade.
Yuri,

How can you call any food unclean when God has called it clean?

The fact is that God does not change, and he did not call anything in Leviticus 11 clean. Read the vision that Peter had. You will see that Peter's vision was not God showing him how to disobey his law by eating unclean foods, rather those unclean foods represent the Gentile people. How do I know. READ THE VISION, and you will discover the meaning.

Yes he was... because he believed eating clean foods that used to be unclean under the old covenant, but begin to act as if he did not when certain came from James.

Where in the New Testament did Jesus, Paul, or even Peter stated that Leviticus 11 is now ok to disobey????

My example is Jesus who had his disciples "TO WORK" by picking corn on the sabbath day which the Torah forbade.

Jesus is not the Messiah if he himself broke sabbath, or ate unclean foods. I seriously do not know what bible you read, or what person who obeys a lawless gospel. Jesus will tell them who are lawless to depart from him(matt 7:21-23). Show me ONE person in the bible that lived a LAWLESS life?
>>> The fact is that God does not change <

Are there any more animal sacrifices? Is there a Temple? Are what of the Aaronic Priesthood? So would you say some things that God institutes change? Right?

>>> and he did not call anything in Leviticus 11 clean. <

YES!!! What was Peter seeing in the vision if not the unclean animals of Leviticus 11?

>>> Read the vision that Peter had. You will see that Peter's vision was not God showing him how to disobey his law by eating unclean foods, rather those unclean foods represent the Gentile people. br />

Yes the vision does mean the Gentiles were now to be accepted as clean. However, it they would have to start observing all of the rituals practice of Israel, than DUH! What has changed here? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

No Jew, including Peter would have had a problem accepting a Gentile who converted to Jewish practices. This was always possible... and Jesus said that Pharisees would travel miles and miles to make one such convert.

What is the point of the vision if in fact nothing has changed??? According to you, the Gentiles were always clean???

>>> How do I know. READ THE VISION, and you will discover the meaning. <

Really? Did this not mean that they were to be accepted without taking on such practices? If this is not the meaning, then please explain what has changed? What is the point of this vision if they have to do the same thing to be accepted as they did for the last 2000 years since Abraham and Moses.

>>> Where in the New Testament did Jesus, Paul, or even Peter stated that Leviticus 11 is now ok to disobey??? <

Your question is fallacious. It assumes that Leviticus 11 is applicable under the New Covenant when it is not. It is an ordinance that has been abolished in order to allow the Gentiles to be clean without adopting such ritualistic practices.

>>> Jesus is not the Messiah if he himself broke Sabbath, or ate unclean foods. I seriously do not know what bible you read, or what person who obeys a lawless gospel. Jesus will tell them who are lawless to depart from him(matt 7:21-23). Show me ONE person in the bible that lived a LAWLESS life? <

Jesus did not keep the Torah BUT Jesus did not break the Law. Again, Jesus' disciples kept the Law by working on the Sabbath,

So the question is "How can this be?"

The principles of life are not subject to the principles of death; however, the principles of death are subject to the principles of life.

If you figure that out, you will understand how Jesus' disciple's can work on the Sabbath and still keep the law.
Yuri:
Did our Savior spoken in YOUR Bible EVER BREAK ANY OF HIS FATHER'S COMMANDMENTS the Torah???

If that is what you believe, please provide the book chapter and verse to support your claim.

The testimony of Messiah Himself, in MY BIBLE, is that HE NEVER broke any of His Father's commandments:

He said:
"I have kept My Father's commandments" (John 15:10).

Heb.7
[26] For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Therefore ONLY if you keep the Father's commandments can you be considered Holy.
(The Father Himself said "Be ye holy as I am Holy."

Did the Father ever break any of the Commandments)

Or does you Bible show another way to be Holy?
~~~~~~~~~~
Where in your Bible does it say that it was against the Torah to eat at a Gentiles table? Can you provide the scriptural reference?
Jesus NEVER SINNED yet he did do "works" on the sabbath day, in spite of the Torah commanding no work on the sabbath day...

I have provided proofs for you and James again and again... you will not answer me...

Jesus had his disciples to work by pick corn on the "sabbath day"? This was not about picking corn but working. Yet you and James want to say work is not work. I asked him to define work. I asked him "at what point does picking corn become work?"

You all simply make assertions... "Pick corn is not work?" well please tell me what is work. define work. make your case that this is not work by delineating what work is and what it is not... and why these disciples picking corn cannot be classified as work.

Jesus most certainly did not say to the Pharisees that it was not work. In fact he cites others similar instances of Torah violation... David ate the showbread, which was only for the priest... then He gives an even more laborious illustration of work on the sabbath that would violate the Torah but not the Law... If one's sheep fell in a pit on the sabbath, one would work to get him out... and Jesus said it would be lawful, even though the torah says don't work on the sabbath.

Is getting a sheep out of a pit work or not?

Mat 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service