Can anyone list at least three "Black Theologians" that contributed to Christian doctrine between the 16th and 17th centuries?

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess not!

Charles Parham (1873-1929) - Preacher and evangelist; taught William J. Seymour (Azusa Street)

Richard Allen (1760 - 1831) - Minister, Preacher, Educator

and I am not able to remember a third at this time.  I am not familiar with the centuries you presented.  I will keep researching...

Parham was not only white, he was quite racist in his worldview. He was scandalized by the interracial worship services at Azusa St.

Okay, during slavery I found Jesse Galphin, George Liele, and Andrew Bryan who were the first known Baptists preachers in Georgia.  The first is known as Gowen, 1781, in Jamestown, Virginia.  I still have not found any in the 16th century...

John Marrant was considered one of America's first "Black Preachers", but I'm talking about "theologians" that have influenced theology and christian doctrines. We've had many "Black Preachers". But have you found anyone that has contributed works like Martin Luther, John Calvin, etc.....?

I haven't found any African American Theologians of the centuries you presented.  I must not have the resources to find them...

During the centuries you note there were none in the Protestant movement, not sure about the Roman Catholic Church--don't know Vincent De Porres dates. In the 18th century there was, of course, Allen and Varick. In the 19th any number of people in the AME and AMEZ churches. The was also J.W.C. Pennington in the Congregational Church who published quite a bit. Hope this helps.

Dr. Stephen Ray
Professor of Theology
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
Martin De Porres, sorry.

Richard Allen started the AME denomination but used "Methodism" as the foundation of their beliefs and practices. De Porres was from a mixed race of the Dominican order. I'm looking for some African/Black theologians that contributed to Christian doctrine like Calvin established "Calvinism". I only see African/Blacks preaching and teaching what was already established by eurpoean theologians. Am I wrong?

Why "between 16th and 17th Centuries"? If you include the whole of Christian history, you have several North African theologians of significant impact to the development of the faith. Augustine, Clement, Tertullian, Origen... these early church fathers set the standard as theologians through the 5th Century. But by the 16th Century, Europe had eclipsed North Africa as a locus of Christian Theology.

Most of these men were born in the Roman province of Africa. I'm not sure that these men were born indigenous Africans/Egyptians. It is said that Tertullian was the son of a Roman centurion. But I'll research these men further. Thanks for the info.

Who are the Black Theologians?  A final answer?...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service