I have a question about what is known as catching the holy ghost and speaking in tounges. Obviously the apostles in Acts spoke in tounges and at Pentacost recieved the holy spirit. However where does this catching the holy spirit/being "slain" in the spirit and talking in tounges come from (mainly from what I've seen its a lot of black churches, pentacostals and charasmatics) in churches today? And what language are people speaking when they speak in tongues? I've asked one of my friends who told me she has spoken in tongues and she said she didn't know the language but when the apostles spoke in tongues they all knew what language they spoke and those that heard it knew the language. It seems like a rather unscriptural thing to do in church the main reason being that in 1 Corinthinas 14:22-29 it says

1 Corinthians 14:22-29 (King James Version)

22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

23If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

24But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

26How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

So if tounges is only to be spoken by 2 or 3 and the entire church is fallen down in the spirit speaking tounges by what power are they doing this? If tey are truly speaking toungues at all. Andas far as catching the holy ghost aren't we the temple of the holy spirit according to 1 Corinthians 6:19? And isn't a believer given the Holy spirit? So if this is the case how do you "CATCH" the holy spirit? And how come these same people cannot speak in tongues on command? They need to be "in the spirit" but shouldn't you always be in the spirit?

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nothing but the traditions of man, brother. Mark 7:8,"You leave the commandment of Yehovah and hold to the tradition of men."
yeah I know brother. I went to a local church and people were falling out, the pastor was laying hands on people, they were speaking in tongues, running around the church, floppin around all over the place, I was awe stuck by what was going on around me. I mean I was saved from 6 years atheism and when it happened it didn't look anything like that. lol. But I'm hoping for someone who's done it, or maybe knows people who do it to possibly clue me in as to what its like, why they do it or something. I cannot find where people did these things in the scirpture.
Lance,

lol you will not find it at all. They go around saying," husaa hssaaa boo boo see honda", and then give the excuse that its angelic tongues. Acts 2 says they spoke in the tongues of native people around them, and not some jibberish.
I understand that but why don't these same people drink poison and not die? That is one of the powers attributed to the outpouring of the holy spirit that went on in acts. I've felt the hand of the Lord on me more than a few times and its always led to a conviction of my sin, repentance, joy for Lord but I've never been flopping around on the ground or doing of the stuff we see when people "catch" the holy ghost. That's the actions of people who have demons or are getting demons taken out of them. Now we could say well yes this is what the holy ghost is doing its taking demons out of people and filling them with righteousness, but EVERY SUNDAY LOL.
Brother Luckett, you're right on,

You dont "catch" the Holy Spirit. I dont know who came up with that but it has stuck for a couple of generations. We are indwelled with the Holy Spirit... some have a gift of utterance in tongues. In private, personal time with God it builds your spirit and strengthens your prayer life allowing for greater intimacy with God, and things of God. (1 Cor 14:4, 14) In public, for the hearers to be edified there should be an interpreter. Some prophetic ministers (and prophets) are gifted with both the utterance and gift to interpret. In one instance in scripture Jesus spoke in an unknown tongue ("Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise." Mark 5:41)

Paul stated he spoke in tongues more than are those in the church at Corinth, yet, he would rather "speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue" (vs 18, 19)

Having the gift of tongues doesnt mean you're holier than anyone else. Not speaking in tongues does not mean you are not saved. Exercizing the gift of tongues is just like exercizing any other spiritual gift: you do so by your measure of faith and in love. Some may have the gift but have never spoken in tongues. And yes, folk have spoken in a language they have not learned naturally.

Speaking in tongues also can precede and/or facilitate prophetic ministry
1 Cor 14:2
"he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." In other scriptural instances, utterance is also linked with the speaking i.e. revealing the mysteries of God. (Col 4:3, Eph 6:19)

Speaking in tongues is personally edifying, while prophecy edifies the church (vs 4)

Again, the "utterance" ministry of the prophets is closely linked to the "utterance" of speaking in tongues:
"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." (1 Cor 14:27-32

Paul goes on to say desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues; we have to stay within the parameters established for the local church.
thanks Thomas, bless you... I try not to talk about what I dont know about
As far as being slain in the spirit, that phrase is like slang, but used to describe a response to encountering the glory of God. ...

Here are some scriptural examples of times men were "slain in the spirit", which is likely to happen when the glory of God is manifested in our midst:

When the fire of God came down to the altar or ascended from the altar (Lev 9:24, Judges 13:20, 1 Kings 18:39)
When the house that Solomon built for God was finished and everyone was inside worshipping, the glory came in so that those who ministered couldnt stand (2 Chron 5:14)

There are also scriptural instances of this happening when men encountered angels. I'll have to look up those scriptures, mostly in the OT.

Like so many other things being restored to the Body, it seems to have become some kind of movement. One of my blood sisters and I were talking about this last weekend. Early in my walk in charismatic circles I saw plenty of people "falling out". To my mind, some may fall because they believe it to be expected. Some dont fall they are pushed (this happened to my sister but has never happened to me). Some God forbid may be playing. And some legitimately encounter the glory of God, like the supernatural, divine encounter that Paul (when he was Saul) experienced.

hope that helps
thanks for the reply sister I'll be sure to read this and reply. God bless.
Tongues is A sign From God! He Has supernatural Power over the individual Believer! I think Some of you guys are getting the Gift of Tongues (The Church Order) in 1Cor. MIXED UP WITH THE BORN-Again experiences in the book of Acts! Two entirely different topics. What happened when the Apostles received the Holy ghost(acts 2)? They spoke in Tongues!
Peter STOOD UP AND SAID THIS IS THAT! HE HAD TO EDIFY THIS GROUP OF PEOPLE. Tongues is A SIGN FOR THE TRUE BELIEVER! PETER SAID THEY ARE NOT DRUNK AS YE SUPPOSE!
Acts 19:1-6 Have You Received The Holy Ghost Since you believed? These People had never Heard about the Holy Ghost? Must be their religion never taught it!And So they had to be RE-Baptized in the Name of The Lord! Then they all spoke in Tongues and prophesied !!! the Gifts were immediately available to the believer when they were filled with the Holy Ghost! Mark 16:17 The True believe will speak with new tongues! Acts 10:44-48 (King James Version)

44While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Some churches don't preach the same message of the gospel and that's why there's No POWER! (it's Spiritually Dead)

45And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Isaiah 28:10-12 (King James Version)

10For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

12To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

What is The Promise That You And I can enter in His Rest?
Hebrews 4:1-3 (King James Version)

Hebrews 4

1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

What Is The Gospel?
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (King James Version)

1 Corinthians 15

1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
What Did Peter Preach? The Gospel!
Acts 2:37-39 (King James Version)

37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.(acts 2:38) The Gospel in a nutshell!

39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service