Polygamy... Is it scriptural, or does Yah forbid such?

What speakest thou?

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you know what the Dead Sea scrolls are?

I agree. It is not a reasonable dialogue when one who starts a thread can not even adress my points.

Lev 18:18 Dead Sea scrolls.

Deut 21- Polyganists were in the mixed multitude of the exodus. Their current polygamy was regulated. Regulating does not prove endorsement.

You did not understand Deut 23

But I think my points are made void by your lack of understanding.

By the way you are incorrect the
septuagint
vulgate
samaritan
targum

all say have had
please read toward old testament ethics by kaiser the greek latin are spelled out for you.

You sound like you are done. let me know if you are.
Keith,

I know exactly what the DDS are.. for which many scholars agree that its agrees more with the Septuagint, and the Aramaic texts rather than the Masoretic. I read Lev 18:18 in its context, and I must admit that it's a lil difficult, but I have a plausible conclusion.

You cannot take a "rival wife" to her sister. It is my understanding that you cannot marry a woman, and then take her sister to be a wife as well. That will truly causes sibling rivalry. But, this is not against polygamy, rather, its against polygamy under a "certain circumstance."
James you are wrong again.

First of all The Masoretic Text was compiled fromm 700ce to 900ce.

Second the Dead Sea Scrolls were compiled from 300 BCE to 100 BCE.

30% are proto masoretic
30% are sectarian
30% are similar to the septuagint ( you must keep in mind the DSS were compiled 100 years before the septuagint.

You have not read Lev 18:18 by the hebrews of Qumran. They interpreted it correctly 1000 years before the Masoretic version.
Keith,

The Septuagint is also proto-masoretic as well. I am very aware of the dates of the DSS and the LXX. They are both around the same time period... written in Paleo-Hebrew, and agree many, many times.

You did not even address Lev 18, but only says that I have not read it by the Hebrews of Qumran. I gave you my opinion of Lev 18:18, and I'd like to see you address it. If I am wrong about Lev 18:18, then prove it.
Bro. Keith,

Keep in mind I believe keeping the ten commandments is as easy as waking up in the morning (Father YAH willing) and getting out of bed.

I do agree with this statement, but as history has shown us, the nation of Israel couldn't do it. It kinda falls into the old saying people in the ghetto. . .you can take the people out of Egypt but you can't take the Egypt out of the people.
Chaplain,

That was what the wilderness was for. Getting Egypt out of the people.
James,

That was what the wilderness was for. Getting Egypt out of the people.

Apparently it didn't work, because the Civil Laws had to be established. If it had worked, the Ten Commandments would have sufficed to this day.
agree, but we still must keep them we are off topic
James

I am now reposting the true lev 18:18 as written in the oldest torah known. It is not my interpretation but it is what it is. Hebrews of qumran wrote it 1000 years before the masoretic version.

readLev 18:18 is another prohibition. The dead sea sect (essenes) interpreted the scripture as it should have been one wife to another. In every place in the hebrew the idiomatic phrase is rendered one to another and it should read as such here. Thou shalt not take one wife to another to vex. The dead sea sect scrolls is Torah.

Read Toward OT Ethics by Walter Kaiser or The Hebrew wife by S. E. Dwight. Look in your king james for side notes
Keith,

I will be waiting for when you post your understanding of Lev 18:18. Right now, I stand on my opinion. It is not against polygamy, rather, against certain polygamous circumstances.
see above
i had posted lev 18:18 3 days ago

it is not my interpretation it is Father YAH word it is what it is.
Your Masoretic lev 18:18 is incorrect. Read the DSS lev 18:18
thou shalt not take one wife to another = no polygamy = polygamy is a transgression

you can not refute this in the DSS.

do you now concede the argument in my favor polygamy is wrong
Keith,

I use the Septuagint FYI ;). Anyways... I am still waiting for you to give me your understanding of Lev 18:18, and stop posting simply "Lev 18:18" as if that is telling me something. Can you refute this here: You cannot take a "rival wife" to her sister. It is my understanding that you cannot marry a woman, and then take her sister to be a wife as well. That will truly causes sibling rivalry. But, this is not against polygamy, rather, its against polygamy under a "certain circumstance."

What do you have to say on this?????

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service