Polygamy... Is it scriptural, or does Yah forbid such?

What speakest thou?

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope you know that the hebrews actually did not use or like the septuagint which is one reason why the masoretes developed their version.

the septuagint was tooo greek for them.
Keith,

Not all Hebrews rejected the LXX.
Keith,

On top of that, the phrase "taking one wife to another" is not polygamy. This phrase means taking one wife to another wife. Another wife of who? That is one question I would ask.
james

If you wish to ignore "taking one wife to another" as meaning marrying two women at the same time then this dialogue with you is unreasonable. there is nothing sister in lev 18:18. come on this is basic english.

another wife of who = another wife of yours
you shall not take one wife to another (wife) ,, word in parentheses is added by me for clarity for you james.
Keith,

You shall take take A RIVAL WIFE TO HER SISTER. This is polygamy in a certain circumstance. You are being unreasonable, because of your own bias ;). You are most likely reading the KJV, which used the Masoretic Text. I am using the LXX, that is 1100+ years old than the MT, and uses the same Hebrew as the DSS. This is what the LXX says, to be more accurate for you....

"You shall take a woman as a rival in addition to her sister, to uncover her shame in addition to her while she is still alive." If what you stated is true, then my stance is correct. You have proved my point. In this certain polygamous circumstance, you are not to take a woman as a rival in addition to her sister. In other words, do not marry a woman, and them marry her sister. Thanks for proving my point.

Shalom
james, i will be away for a few hours but i will leave you with this

The DSS says what I have quoted many times. The septuagint does not agree with the DSS on this point. Go to the Temple scroll or damascus document (google it!) then read the actual Lev 18:18 in it.

You are assuming they agree (DSS and septuagint) they do not on this point. You have not even read the interpretation of the hebrew from the DSS.

Read the hebrew translation then you will realize your error.

Shalom as well, sincerely. I appreciate you addressing my points.
Keith,

Give me some resources to look up online. Besides, this is polygamy under a circumstance for which you CANNOT agree. You cannot take a wife to your other wife simply to trouble her, annoy her, etc etc. This does not speak against polygamy. Besides, the DSS gives a more clear understanding
The Hebrew Wife by S. Dwight (written 1836)
Marriage and Divorce by David Instone Brewer
Toward Old Testament Ethics by W. Kaiser
An Unknown Jewish Sect by L. Ginzberg
Reclaiming the Dead Sea Scrolls by L. Schiffman

all can be viewed in part on google books
your opinion, thank you, your opinion is what you have

This is what Father YAH says about marrying two women at one time

Lev 18:18 DSS Thou shalt not take one wife to another to vex her in her lifetime.

Joshua 24:15
Keith,

I agree with the DSS translation of Lev 18:18. Do not take another wife to your current wife to vex her. The word vex means to annoy, to trouble, etc etc. In other words, the act of marrying another woman in addition to your current wife for the purpose of annoying your first wife is simply violation of Torah. I agree with the Karaite Jews that if a man wants to take a second wife, the man must consult, and get the permission from the first wife. Its only moral to do so.
James,

I am glad you agree. However you are not correct in your commentary. You are correct in that your interpretation is what the Karaite Jews assert. Unfortunately they are wrong as well.

Karaites were not officially around until about 800 to 900 years later in the 8th century CE.

Read the Dead Sea Sect Halakhic letter to the temple priests. Also read this, the Zadokite DSS fragment. It states:

They are caught . . . in fornication, by taking two wives in their lifetime. But the foundation of creation is “male and female He created them” (Genesis 1:27) and those who entered the ark, “two of each, [male and female,] came [to Noah] into the ark” (Genesis 7:9). And regarding the king it is written, “He shall not have many wives” (Deuteronomy 17:17). (ZADOKITE FRAGMENTS 4:20–5:2)

This is from Lawrence Schiffman's book Reclaiming The Dead Sea Scrolls.

Now you have the correct translation and correct interpretation.
Hebrews speaking to you from over 2000 years ago, 200 years before the Messiah.

Note how the Messiah quotes from Ge 2:24 (Matt 19:5) as the qumran sect did 200 years before.

The only marriage that Father YAH ordained is one man and one woman.

My proof text for monogamy Ge 2:24, with strong support from Father YAH Lev 18:18.

Now do concede Father YAH is against polygamy.
Keith,

You refuse to address what I said concerning Lev 18:18. It says not to take a wife to another to "vex her." What does vex mean, and can you agree that this is forbidden polygamy in certain circumstances?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service