Polygamy... Is it scriptural, or does Yah forbid such?

What speakest thou?

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chaplain, I do agree that James was dodging the question. However, I have to say that James did make a strong point: God did not forbid it. Neither can be refuted, simply because both are true.

There is something about Apostolic decrees that people have yet to truly understand. A man can make a decree and it shall be established as law for all so long as GOD is not against it (Job 22:21-30; 1st Corinthians 7). Moses practiced this, Queen Esther practiced this, the Apostle practiced this, and there is no way that this can be denied. Polygamy does not go against GOD's ultimate plan. In fact, GOD utilized it within HIS plan for us!!

Yes you can say that man started this stuff up. That cannot be denied. However, can you bare the fact/truth that GOD not only did not rebuke it, but utilized it within HIS plans for us, and even blessed others with it?
Chaplain,

Sorry, but thats not my character. If something simply does not make sense, then I will speak up, especially if one is being unreasonable as Keith is on certain points.
You are correct.

Reply by Chaplain Pat Harris
James will post a question rather than admit to the truth you have posted in response to the original question.

But also the discussion reminded me of trying to tell a child milk comes from a cow and all what the child answers is, no milk comes from the grocery store (over and over and over , etc. etc.....).

The only difference is a child is innocent and will listen, especially when I take that child to the cow, milk it myself, and let the child drink fresh milk, that child would then believe my words
Keith,

Genesis 2:24 is not a witness against me. I actually know your tactic. You will use Genesis 2:24 from the regular bible, but use the DSS when it comes to Lev 18:18 to promote your bias against polygamy. Gen 2:24 is not a command, for not all men will leave their parents, and even become married.

Lev 18:18 in the Septuagint states that you should not take a rival wife to her sister. In other words, do not marry a wife and her sister. This is a certain polygamous circumstance for which you cannot accept. The DSS says, according to you, not to take a wife to another to vex her(the first wife). This is in no way guarantees your correct interpretation of simply getting a second wife because its 100% true that you will vex the first wife. That is simply your bias opinion.

You post the Zadokite text, which is not Torah, but simply commentaries, or maybe facts that actally happened, but you have to provide me historical, and background evidence on the Zadokite scripture you posted to me. I think I shall stand on what the WRITTEN TORAH says. I am always open to learning, and to truth. You seem very intelligent in your studies, but can't seem to get around the fact that Genesis 2:24 is not a command.

Your main argument for that is that Yah says man shall cling to one wife. Yes, that is true, and that CAN happen, but it was not always the case, especially with our patriarchs in the faith, and also in SOME INSTRUCTIONS IN WRITTEN TORAH THAT INSTRUCTS MEN WITH SEVERAL WIVES. You have yet to honestly address those or even try to reconcile these scriptures along with the DSS.

By the way, what online source do you have that has an english translated DSS so that I can personally look at Lev 18:18? What evidence do you have that the LXX actually "borrowed" from the DSS? THAT is what I MUST see! You cannot ignore the LXX, Peshitta, and MT showing that you SHOULD NOT MARRY THE SISTER OF YOUR FIRST WIFE TO DISTRESS HER. The DSS, according to you, is the only one that differs in what is said, and so show me an online source of the DSS translation of Lev 18:18.

Shalom Aleichem
answered: zadokite frags and halakhic letter are commentaries on Torah
Keith,

Not all commentaries are equal, and commentaries do not hold authority. I rarely, if ever, read commentaries, but I do respect them. What does Rashi, or Mamonides have to say on this topic?
James,
Why isnt Jesus telling us that from the beginning - when things were PERFECT - that it was one man for one woman enough of an explanation for you?
Thats perfection and it's exactly what the saints strive for.
And for all LAW KEEPERS ---> it is the LAW which is now written on the hearts of every saint.

By your argument - just because God legislated it (put some rules around it) He must have been down with it.
And if thats the case - it would be the same with slavery and making Eunuchs by other men.

I think God addressed it as being a fact of life among mere ungodly fallen men...but it was/is not God's plan.
Newview,

The last time I checked, Yah created all things good, and not all things perfect.
All things are not good.
And if you must - please replace the word 'perfect' with the word 'good' so that you can understand my original point.
Newview,

The scripture says that Yah that they were good. Where did Yah say that He say that they were perfect???
I said PLEASE replace the word perfect with good.
But lets move on with my point.
Newview,

The scriptures says it haha. I do not need to replace it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service