In part one, I discussed the Biblical canon and debated along the lines of if the Biblical Canon was closed. This time will be a bit different. I was in a few discussions before and have heard what they teach in many churches and what they teach in many seminary schools: "The Bible canon is 66 books and the books are sealed, with no new revelation to come." Where did we come up with the teaching that there are only 66 books within GOD's Word?

The Church has been physically divided by man's differences, and have fallen into the following categories with the following Biblical Canon:

Protestant Churches: 66 books
Lutheran Churches: 66 books (however, Martin Luther made an attempt to remove the books of Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelation from the canon)
The Roman Catholic Church, & Eastern Catholic Churches: standard 66 plus the deuterocanonical books
Ethiopic Churches: 81 books (contains Enoch, Jubilees, and three books of the Meqabyan)

...and the list goes on....

Full dogmatic articulations and the closing of the Church Canons were not made until the Council of Trent of 1546 for Roman Catholicism, the Thirty-Nine Articles of 1563 for the Church of England, the Westminster Confession of Faith of 1647 for British Calvinism, and the Synod of Jerusalem of 1672 for the Greek Orthodox.Is it biblical, traditional, or just an assumption? Is it accurate or deceiving?

I guess my question is this: Who decided your Bible's number of books, and was GOD involved in this?

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trevor,

You've made some very good and strong points on all sides of this issue.

I cannot say that I totally agree with all points made, but I am open to further clarification and understanding, one step at a time and one day at a time.
They are unlearned in the Bible. If you get a good understanding of the Bible, and know who your God is, and how to follow him, and his protocol, then there should not be any reason why you could not read the books that were not added to the Bible. You can tell from what you have learned in the Bible if they fit or not. I have read the Apocrypha, and the things that connected with the Bible I was able to gain an understanding,. As long as you be humble, and come unto the knowledge as a child, and not have in your mind that you are smart, you should be able to gain great knowlege. As soon as you think you know something, and become Lord over people within your mind, ye fall from grace, and the Lord may pour out strong delusion on you that because you become puffed up from the knowledge that the Lord gave by the Holy Ghost. All you have to do is believe the Bible, and follow it, and knowledge will be added when you investigate information that is available.
Hezekiah, this is one of the FEW and RARE moments that we are both in one accord!!! This does not rob you of your salvation, so long as you are rooted and grounded in the words of the Bible and in your faith!!

Preachers talk about the meat of the word, but the only meat I've heard for a while has been hamburgers and hotdogs!!
I hear ya. lol.
" If all we need was the 66 books of the Bible that we currently possess, then why did GOD give Enoch his revelations in the first place?..."

Trevor,
If you think you NEED more than those 66 inspired books of the Bible - then have at it.
But to be honest - I am not even walking all that I am supposed according to the 66 (I'm not sure I am even keeping the 10 commandments they way I am supposed to) - neither do I understand all that is contained in the 66 (but its line upon line).
I will work with what I have and something tells me it is all I need because within those 66 books - there are so many layers and revelations that I have no need to read Enoch or Jasher or the Gosple of Timothy or Baruch.
Give me the 66 books and the Holy Spirit and I will call it a day.

Thanks but no thanks.
That is a great and honest answer. Bless you Sister Newview.
No problem. But once again, this is not a matter of salvation or "proper walking" as you or many other may think and continually bring it to. I never made it such, nor even mentioned it to be such (Gospel of Timothy? I'm not jumping into nor touching Gospels). This is a matter of revelation and things to come and things that have happened. For starters, people aren't sure as to what happened with the giants of the land; people are not sure about the Heavens that are to come; people are not sure as to what happened with Adam & Eve afterward, or what the very region of Eden is all about. This is not about thinking small time and only concentrating on there next step ahead of you. GOD challenge Jeremiah with these words:

Jeremiah 12:5 "If thou hast run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with horses? and if in the land of peace, wherein thou trustedst, they wearied thee, then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?"

I challenge you and others as well, because regardless of what you may think for now, you will face it later. I promise you that. All I ask that people be TRULY prayerful concerning this matter. I know that every time people I ask people to do so, they say yes, but do the total opposite (interestingly enough, a few have come back testifying that the same info came back to their face). The Kingdom of GOD is bigger than you think, and so is the wisdom of GOD.

Deuteronomy 1:13 "Take you wise men, and understanding, and known among your tribes, and I will make them rulers over you."

Psalm 119:99 "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation."

Proverbs 4:5-13 "Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her. She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee. Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many. I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths. When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble. Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life."
Trevor,

What are you saying?
I'm quite blunt......

There is more that we don't know that we are no bold enough to step up to see.
Trevor,

I like to weigh any book by the Torah & Prophets. That is how we should do it, brother.
Sounds good. The interesting thing is, Enoch wrote his book first, so time-line wise, its the other way around. Nevertheless, no matter who weighs what against the next, it all still comes out to the same equation.
This is what I was talking about Brother Trevor. We must not be puffed up because of the knowledge, but we must humbly teach what we know. If you do not keep the commandments of God all the knowledge is vain.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service