While preparing my syllabi to teach the Psalms September this year I was led to share a few insights on the Psalms. The Hebrew title for the Psalms is Tehillim, which means praises, and the Greek translation of the Old Testament is psalmoi, which mean songs that are usually accompanied by string instruments (Life in the Spirit Study Bible KJV Commentary).

What else we know about the Psalms is that they are Israel's hymns. The Psalms were written as designed Spirit-filled and inspired prayers and praises to the God of all creation expressing the person's inner emotions that emanated from the heart. Many of the Psalms were written as prayers to God expressing trust, love, adoration, thanksgiving, praise, and a longing for a close fellowship with God. In the psalms, we can find discouragement, deep distress, fear, anxiety, humiliation, and a cry for deliverance, vindication and or healing. Then there are the Psalms that expresses thanksgiving of praises to God for who He is and what He has done and continues to do in the lives of humanity. Lastly, some Psalms contain Messianic messages that have their meaning in Jesus Christ; for example, Psalm 22:1, "My God, My God why hast thou forsaken me? (Life in the Spirit Study Bible KJV Commentary).

Many other Psalms addresses a particular need such as Psalm 91:1-5 for protection. When we need deliverance look at Psalm 70:1, and when we need to be reminded to trust God reflect on Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen; I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 23:1-6 reminds us that He is our shepherd where all of His cares are on display.

The Psalms are powerful in that they talk about the God of all creation who is eternal from the heavens. "The Psalms are among the most meticulous of all OT prophecies about Jesus Christ and are everywhere deeply embedded in the message of the New Testament writers" (Life in the Spirit Study Bible KJV Commentary).

Psalms is a joy book to read.

Comments are welcomed
Author's contacts:
white3285@sbcglobal.net
https://willie-writing.blogspot.com
www.goodshepherdwritingandpublishing.co

Views: 4

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service