What does prosperity mean to the Body of Christ.  Does it has any place in teaching, is it

for the body, should it be taught or should it be ignored.  What is biblical prosperity?

What does the bible has to say about this topic?

Views: 992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The word poor may be defined as:

Main Entry: poor
Pronunciation: \ˈpu̇r, ˈpȯr\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English poure, from Anglo-French povre, pore, from Latin pauper; akin to Latin paucus little and to Latin parere to give birth to, produce — more at FEW, PARE
Date: 13th century
1 a : lacking material possessions b : of, relating to, or characterized by poverty
2 a : less than adequate : MEAGER b : small in worth
3 : exciting pity
4 a : inferior in quality or value b : HUMBLE, UNPRETENTIOUS c : MEAN, PETTY
5 : LEAN, EMACIATED
6 : BARREN, UNPRODUCTIVE —used of land
7 : INDIFFERENT, UNFAVORABLE

This is the etymology and definition of the word “poor” the problem that you have Pastor Phillips is that of context. Context and context a lone tells us which of the uses of the word fits you meaning.

So when you ask these questions:
What does prosperity mean to the Body of Christ. Does it has any place in teaching, is it
for the body, should it be taught or should it be ignored. What is biblical prosperity?
What does the bible has to say about this topic?

The only uses that can be understood is the first. This is simple logic, you’re talking about lacking material possessions b : of, relating to, or characterized by poverty! You do mean that you’re having pity on some one. No you do not! So when you say it simply means lack or without. The question that comes to mind is “without what? The obvious mening is without fiancial means!
Greetings Pastor Sweet,

People in general are lacking in other areas of their life besides finances.
By your definition and it is a good definition:

1 Poor financially
2 Poor effort on someones part
3 Poor materials or product (inferior quality)
4 Old folks from the south might say that child is poor
(not eating enough)
5 Poor because of starvation (emaciated)
6 Somones business is doing poorly, bad or failing (unproductive)
7 Peple can have poor judgement based on missing info. or
prejudice
8 Someone can have poor health, poor eyesight

Based on your definition, I am comfortable with my concise definition
of lacking or without something

Now a couple of your items speaks to something different like having pity.

But I am talking about lack, without, missing etc...

By your definition of course.

I find it amazing when someone insists on what I mean.

Again I say poor simply means lacking or without something.

What an individual is lacking is based on there needs whether physical,
emotional, financial, health wise, family etc...

In Christ
Pastor R. Phillips
That's not my definition it comes right out of Websters you have a problem take it up with them. LOL
But you are still have a real problem. Context, context, context you are still talking about money. Because once one becomes a believer the Work of the Holy Spirit will make you complete that is call the process of SANCTIFICATION.
Php 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus
Greetings Pastor Sweet,

I only used the definition you provided.

You have plenty of zeal but not according to tthe bible.

Now I appreciate your comments and value your opinions.

WE must accept and beleive that prosperity is not just a
money message.

Beloved I wish above all things that ye prosper and be in health,
even as thy soul prospereth. 3 John 2.

I dont mind you calling me a prosperity preacher because I do
beleive in prosperity according to scripture and preach it.

You are a Pastor. So I beleive you preach to encourage your flock
and teach them to be productive or do better than what they
are doing.

If so then I call you a prosperity preacher too.

Open your eyes brother.

In Christ
Pastor Phillips
Pastor Phillips,

Two things:
1. You may not call me a prosperity preacher.
2. I have plenty of zeal according to the bible.

Let deal with the first one: To try to put me on the same footing as you is to call me a false teacher. Why I labor very hard to teach what is in the Bible and not to find and make stuff up. What does that mean I study and passage in its context. The Point of this is: the message of prosperity is only 30 years old and only works in the West. (USA, Western Europe)

Now the second: To say that a person has zeal but not according to the bible is just not true. If you’re trying to say that I don't know the Bibl that too is false. So this leads me to ask you a question if my zeal is not according to the Bible “than what is it according to? The problem that you and other prosperity teachers have is that of context, context. To only take a passage out of that context it to con the people in the pews. Let's look better at you passage

3 John 1-2 reads: The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth. 2 Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers

Notice that there is a name in the first verse, Gaius. This letter is to him. What does that mean for him? John is writing him about the fact that others are talking about his love of truth. Notice verse 3-4 For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are walking in truth. 4 I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.

You may be asking how can “you say that prosperity is not in the bible?” Good question, here is the answer. The background of the times of the people of the New Testament shows that many of the Jews and Christians were people that were poor. How do you know that you’re thinking? The Romans taxed them to death. But let’s keep reading this book.

The next few verses: 5 Beloved, you are acting faithfully in whatever you accomplish for the brethren, and especially when they are strangers; 6 and they have testified to your love before the church.

You will do well to send them on their way in a manner worthy of God. 7 For they went out for the sake of the Name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. 8 Therefore we ought to support such men, so that we may be fellow workers with the truth. This is all about supporting men that walk in truth.

This is not about our prosperity, and I hope that this helps you.
Pastor Sweet,
If God is not interested prosperity, then explain the following verses:

Joshua 1:8
Psalm 35:27

You are a father, right? Isn't it your desire your children are prosperous?

You will agree, that God is a far superior Father than you or I could ever aspire to be, right?

Just putting this out there for your consideration...

Stay Blessed,
Pastor Day
Greetings Pastor sweet

In Reply to two things:

Do you teach your flock to do better in life or to remain the
same.

Stagnation kills the body. But a flowing river keeps things new,
fresh and growing.

Prosperity is more than money.

I do not understand why the body of Christ is so closed minded
in this area.

The message of prosperity is as old as genesis. Be fruitful and
multiply and replenish the earth. . . . .

what did u say exegesis i beleive dont mean to misquote but
if you did go to bible college then why dont u break scripture
down in context..

There are three kinds of blessings that is God's will;
1 Material blessing
2 Good Health And Bodily Healing
3 Soul Salvation the most important of the three

In Christ
Pastor R. Phillips
If one is born again he is made whole,complete and needs nothing else..PERIOD.

There are many warnings in the Bible about giving in to greed and longing for riches. Jesus warned, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions” (Luke 12:15). “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal…

You cannot serve both God and money” (Matthew 6:19 and 24). Did Jesus pursue the acquisition of money? No. and had “no place to lay his head” (Matthew 8:20). The only disciple concerned with wealth was the embezzler Judas, who betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.
If Judas was, as you say, an embezzler, whom did he embezzle from? Would not the target of his crime have to have sufficient enough assets that the theft would go unnoticed? Jesus was not rich by today's standard of wealth but he certainly was not poor, either.
Think abput that, it did not go unnoticed. We have a record of the very crime from the eyewitness. That still does not mean that Jesus was rich, he was not!
Pastor Sweet,

The crime was recorded after the fact. Only Jesus knew when the act of embezzlement was in progress. Jesus was not some poor vagabond, indeed, He had a house (John 1:38-39)! Although Jesus' financial condition is not germane to salvation, it is important as to how we are to live as disciples. If Jesus was poor -- and we are to use him as an example, right? -- why aren't many PREACHERS selling all their worldly possessions to follow Him? I'll help you out on this one; either they really know the truth of Jesus' financial condition or they are hypocrites. I am among the former; where are you?

Blessed Regards,
Pastor Day
Okay you just did what many prosperity preachers do. You read your view into the text. In Hermeneutics that's called eisegesis: meaning to read into the text. Now let's look very carefully at that passage it reads

"And Jesus turned and saw them following, and said to them, "What do you seek?" They said to Him, "Rabbi (which translated means Teacher), where are You staying?" He said to them, "Come, and you will see." So they came and saw where He was staying; and they stayed with Him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. (John 1:38-39)

Now you have a problem! This passage nowhere says that it was his house.
So what may be going on here is that Jesus is staying with someone. What can we say that 1. Matthew 3:13 says that Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan. This was a walk of about 40 to 60 miles. 2. We know that Jesus stayed with others during His earthly sojourn.
You are right this is not important for ones salvation you are incorrect when you write that

“why aren't many PREACHERS selling all their worldly possessions to follow Him?” Than calling them hypocrites is false as well. Why you ask we are not commanded to do so. What we are commanded to do is to be good stewards of what He has given us.

Now you have a problem! The text no where says that it was his house.
So what may be going on here is that Jesus is staying with some one. What can we say that 1. Matthew 3:13 says that Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan. This was a walk of about 40 to 60 miles. 2. we know that Jesus stayed

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service