What does prosperity mean to the Body of Christ.  Does it has any place in teaching, is it

for the body, should it be taught or should it be ignored.  What is biblical prosperity?

What does the bible has to say about this topic?

Views: 998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As for your request for Joshua 1:8 the context tells us that the prosperity and success is in the taking of the LAND.
Pastor Sweet,
So then, you're saying if we meditate on God's Word day and night WE will not have good success and make our way prosperous?

I speak experientially -- not theoretically -- that the principles of Biblical prosperity work!

BTW, I appreciate your intellectual interpretation of scripture. I am simply not in agreement with your interpretation of Biblical prosperity (or lack thereof).
That's not what I said, you said that! Look the problem is, you are not able to prove you point! Why? Because the Biblical text is not teaching prosperity in the way you mean in. Yes, some of the Hebrew and Greek words can be translated into English, using prosperity and a like. The answer is found in CONTEXT. If you take the verse out of its CONTEXT than you can make it mean any thing you want. The only way to turly understand the Word of God is in Context.......

The Context of Joshua 1 is after the death of Moses and now Joshua is the leader of the nation. Not just its military leader. From verse 2 to verese 9 God is talking to Him and reminding Him that He (God) will make him that same kind of leader that Moses was. You must remember that the Book of Joshua is all about the conquest of Canaan. Read the context.
Pastor Sweet,
You are absolutely right. Context matters. And the reason it matters is because God is not a respecter of persons -- if He will do it for Joshua, He will do it for you.

This is why it is important to read and meditate on the Word of God. Careful study will reveal four things:

1. What the person or group was faced with
2. Their obedience or disobedience
3. God's action relative to #2
4. The outcome
5. How it is relevant to you

God's Word is intended to liberate the believer, not cast him into bondage. This is what the Lord had to say in John 10:10 (NIV):

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Now "life to the full" suggests nothing lacking, nothing broken.

Also, I come back to Psalm 35:27. If God is not for the prosperity of His children, then why is this verse there?

Please understand, I am not advocating the "millionaire mentality" incorrectly proffered by many. What I am saying, is that God's Word is CLEAR that it is not His will for those who are committed to him to live sick, impoverished lives in this realm.

Pastor Day
Okay now I see the real problem. Let me state that when you are a freshman in Bible College students learn how to study the Bible. That is what is lacking here in this case. There are five basic steps but many steps in between. The main three I want you to understand is

1. Observation (What do I see?)
2. Interpretation (What does it mean?)
3. Application (How do I apply it?)

So what you keep doing is jumping to the second step. You miss the all important first step. With that you make the very mistake you have here with Psalms 35:27

So let's give a little background on the text:
This psalm is a combination of three laments over the opposition of David's enemies. Each lament develops the unified cry for deliverance from enemies who hated him without a cause. The trial was about to end and the enemy was confident of victory. Thus the cry for vindication!

Note that Hebrew poetry is not like English poetry. That means Hebrew poetry does not riley on rhythm. In fact Hebrew poetry uses what is called parallelisms.
So what does this mean here? Glad you ask!

This verse Ps 35:27 Let them shout for joy and rejoice, who favor my vindication; And let them say continually, "The Lord be magnified, Who delights in the prosperity of His servant."

The first problem that the student must deal with is what type of parallelism is in use here? So let’s look at it. The parallelism in use here is a Synthetic Parallelism. What does that mean? Good question, A Synthetic Parallelism is: the second line takes up and develops further a though begun in the first line.

But I know what you’re thinking, what about the word prosperity. Very good the word here is one that you know already שְׁלוֹם this is the word shalom, the problem here is that a better translation of this word in its context is welfare. SO the verse should be translated
Ps 35:27 Let them shout for joy and rejoice, who favor my vindication; And let them say continually, "The Lord be magnified, Who delights in the welfare of His servant."
With that the verse carries the meaning of David’s being vindicated form a wrong suffered
Pastor Sweet,
Thank you for the history and grammar lessons, not to mention the enlightenment according to systemic theology.

I think I have failed to frame my question properly. That said, please allow me to rephrase:

Does God want us to be prosperous in this lifetime or not? I believe this question is the crux of this discussion. Indeed, this is a question for all teachers and expounders of the Word of God!

I eagerly await your response.
Thanks for the kind words:

I fear that your question is still the wrong one to ask. I mean if you start with a false view and your question comes out of that false view than you can come to an improper answer.

But you ask and I will do my very best to answer you!
Your question is: “Does God want us to be prosperous in this lifetime or not?”

I believe that we still have a problem here. Why you ask? We have not come to a proper perceptive for the word prosperous!

So if by prosperous you mean that God cares for His children the answer is yes, but by that you mean that God wants His children rich and so on than no.

Why? Because the Bible is full of examples of both those that God blessed to have and the ones that He blessed to have not. The question that must be answered is what type of steward are you?
Pastor Sweet,
The question is both viable and relevant. I already stated that the "millionaire mentality" is misguided. I neither subscribe to it nor condone it. However, the Bible declares that we should have sufficiency in ALL things (2 Corinthians 9:8). You CANNOT have sufficiency if you are in lack!

The Word says if we are willing and obedient, we will eat the good of the land (Isaiah 1:19). Therefore, if we are submitted to God, operating in faith, dwelling in Jesus and His Word dwelling in us do we or do we not have the earnest expectation of the abundant life promised by Jesus in John 10:10?

My problem with those who are unwilling to teach the reality of God's promises is that they tell God's children that it is okay to be in sickness and/or lack, when it is CLEAR the Bible says otherwise.

This is the "sweet-by-and-by" teaching that has been parroted by the church for centuries and, unfortunately, it sends many saints to the grave having never experienced the fullness of God in their "here-and-now" lives. This is the very thing the Holy Spirit has instructed me to preach and teach against.

Please note, this that God has given me is not a "feel-good" theology absent of conviction of sin and holy living. I have not drilled-down into this aspect of teaching because that is not the topic at hand.

I thank God for connecting us because you have obviously spent a copious amount of study and your passion is clearly felt. I believe that you and I, as part of the Body of Christ, have specific assignments. We may not agree on the method, but I'm certain that we agree on the central point of our faith -- that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Blessed Regards,
Pastor Day
See you made my point for me.
You believe that the message of the Bible is found in prosperity. I don’t because it’s not there!

Once again you misuse the Text. Once you put this passage in its context you can see that God (the one speaking) is not promising you a good life of health and wealth. The context of Isaiah 1 is the rebellion of the Nation of Judah and God calling them back to the covenant (Deut. 28 the blessings and cursing) Just read the Bible in its full context.

What you call the sweet-by and by, I not fully sure about that, I deal only with the facts of the text. Context is everything.

Again Let’s read John 10:10
The context is that of a parable in fact the Parable of the Good Shepherd. Thus John 10:10 The thief, that is, a false shepherd, who cares only about feeding himself, not building up the flock.

He steals sheep in order to kill them, thus destroying part of the flock. But Christ has come to benefit the sheep. He gives life which is not constricted but overflowing.

The thief takes life; Christ gives it to the full. That means Salvation. That’s the full life in view in this text.
Pastor Sweet,
You continue to insist I've made your point when I've done nothing of the sort. The Bible is chock full of illustrations of prosperity.

You have accused me of misusing the text. I think your viewpoint is clouded by the veil of tradition.

You look like a prosperous fellow. You are well-groomed and the suit in your picture is well-styled. It looks as though God has blessed you. And I praise Him for that. I'd be willing to bet you are a good steward of what God has blessed you with. And I don't think it's a stretch to imagine you and your family enjoy the blessings of good health.

I've been blessed ABUNDANTLY! God has given me dominion over my circumstances and I exercise it whenever the enemy tries to steal from me, kill me, or destroy me. The principles of Biblical prosperity work! And they are available to all who submit themselves unto God!

Why, then, are you so adamantly opposed to this? If God is good to you, and He is no respecter of persons, why wouldn't you want to teach the principles by which you are blessed to others?

Please help me out on this...
this is because the carnal minded will speak of carnal things, everything to them is physical,because most likely they lack the spirit of God..
Brother Day,
You have said that I have been clouded by a veil of tradition! My question to you is whose tradition?
Just because you use the hermeneutics of allegorizing the text to make your point does not say that I have the text wrong. I have placed each and every one of the verse you have used in its proper context.
To look at my page and say that I am blessed (by blessed you imply prosperous) you’re right! Not Because of the teachings of prosperity, but due to God. My wife and I have three kids in haven waiting on us. Because of that I’m blessed.

I work very hard as a school teacher and because of that I’m blessed. God has been very kind to me and my wife. Not because as you say “The principles of Biblical prosperity work!”
But because I and my family try to be good stewards of what the Lord has given us.

As I stated before if you start with a bad/mix up hermeneutic than you end up with bad/mix up exegesis.
I implore you to buy and read "Living by The Book" by Howard G. Hendricks as well a "Basic Bible Interpretation" by Roy Zuck
These books will help you understand the bible and how to read it in context.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service