What does prosperity mean to the Body of Christ.  Does it has any place in teaching, is it

for the body, should it be taught or should it be ignored.  What is biblical prosperity?

What does the bible has to say about this topic?

Views: 999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings Micah Rasun-vann,

I was wonderig who were you listening to or heard to have made these remarks.
One preacher who teaches in error on this topic does not speak for every preacher.

I think that when someone takes the bible out of context, it is misleading and
a disservice to the body of Christ.

Bless you in your studies.

In Christ
Pastor R. Phillips
Please feel free to show me where I'm in error....can hardly wait my friend :)
GB
In the prosperity gospel, also known as the “Word of Faith,” the believer is told to use God, whereas the truth of biblical Christianity is just the opposite—God uses the believer. Word of Faith or prosperity theology sees the Holy Spirit as a power to be put to use for whatever the believer wills. The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is a Person who enables the believer to do God's will. The prosperity gospel movement closely resembles some of the destructive greed sects that infiltrated the early church. Paul and the other apostles were not accommodating to or conciliatory with the false teachers who propagated such heresy. They identified them as dangerous false teachers and urged Christians to avoid them.

Paul warned Timothy about such men in 1 Timothy 6:5, 9-11. These men of “corrupt mind” supposed godliness was a means of gain and their desire for riches was a trap that brought them “into ruin and destruction” (v. 9). The pursuit of wealth is a dangerous path for Christians and one which God warns about: “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (v. 10). If riches were a reasonable goal for the godly, Jesus would have pursued it. But He did not, preferring instead to have no place to lay His head (Matthew 8:20) and teaching His disciples to do the same. It should also be remembered that the only disciple concerned with wealth was Judas.

Paul said covetousness is idolatry (Ephesians 5:5) and instructed the Ephesians to avoid anyone who brought a message of immorality or covetousness (Ephesians 5:6-7). Prosperity teaching prohibits God from working on His own, meaning that God is not Lord of all because He cannot work until we release Him to do so. Faith, according to the Word of Faith doctrine, is not submissive trust in God; faith is a formula by which we manipulate the spiritual laws that prosperity teachers believe govern the universe. As the name “Word of Faith” implies, this movement teaches that faith is a matter of what we say more than whom we trust or what truths we embrace and affirm in our hearts.

A favorite term in the Word of Faith movement is “positive confession.” This refers to the teaching that words themselves have creative power. What you say, Word of Faith teachers claim, determines everything that happens to you. Your confessions, especially the favors you demand of God, must all be stated positively and without wavering. Then God is required to answer (as though man could require anything of God!). Thus, God's ability to bless us supposedly hangs on our faith. James 4:13-16 clearly contradicts this teaching: “Now listen, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.’ Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.” Far from speaking things into existence in the future, we do not even know what tomorrow will bring or even whether we will be alive.

Instead of stressing the importance of wealth, the Bible warns against pursuing it. Believers, especially leaders in the church (1 Timothy 3:3), are to be free from the love of money (Hebrews 13:5). The love of money leads to all kinds of evil (1 Timothy 6:10). Jesus warned, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions” (Luke 12:15). In sharp contrast to the Word of Faith emphasis on gaining money and possessions in this life, Jesus said, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19). The irreconcilable contradictions between prosperity teaching and the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is best summed up in the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:24, “You cannot serve both God and money.”

GB...
Greetings

There is only one Gospel and Jesus said what the Gospel was in Luke 4:18.

Poor simply meaning bein without or lacking something in youor life.
What is it we are lacking today.

Is it health, wealth, family, freedom, understanding etc...

He came to preach the Gospel to the poor. And bring about deliverance in areas of lack.

In Christ
Pastor R. Phillips
When God says he came to preach the gospel to the poor..he was not talking about financially poor, but spiritually poor...leave the false gospel of prosperity alone friend...
GB
Amen Bro. Preacher....and the same Word of God remains today....people are spiritually poor. But if and when you a person lines their life up to the Word of God, wisdom brings about financial prosperity.

In Love, Sis. Denise
Amen Bro. Preacher....and the same Word of God remains today....people are spiritually poor. But if and when you a person lines their life up to the Word of God, wisdom brings about financial prosperity.

THATS not true at all... and the bible never said that,again people stop listening to these doctrines of devils... God never promised anyone that they will be wealthy,what God does say is BE YE CONTENT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE..

Paul warned Timothy about such men in 1 Timothy 6:5, 9-11. These men of “corrupt mind” supposed godliness was a means of gain and their desire for riches was a trap that brought them “into ruin and destruction” (v. 9). The pursuit of wealth is a dangerous path for Christians and one which God warns about: “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (v. 10). If riches were a reasonable goal for the godly, Jesus would have pursued it. But He did not, preferring instead to have no place to lay His head (Matthew 8:20) and teaching His disciples to do the same. It should also be remembered that the only disciple concerned with wealth was Judas.

Paul said covetousness is idolatry (Ephesians 5:5) and instructed the Ephesians to avoid anyone who brought a message of immorality or covetousness (Ephesians 5:6-7). Prosperity teaching prohibits God from working on His own, meaning that God is not Lord of all because He cannot work until we release Him to do so. Faith, according to the Word of Faith doctrine, is not submissive trust in God; faith is a formula by which we manipulate the spiritual laws that prosperity teachers believe govern the universe. As the name “Word of Faith” implies, this movement teaches that faith is a matter of what we say more than whom we trust or what truths we embrace and affirm in our hearts.

GB
THATS not true at all... and the bible never said that,again people stop listening to these doctrines of devils... God never promised anyone that they will be wealthy,what God does say is BE YE CONTENT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE..

When I said: But if and when you a person lines their life up to the Word of God, wisdom brings about financial prosperity.

That is not a DOCTRINE...I was saying when you do what is right and live right you will have THINGS. If you work, educate yourself, treat others right, do good to people NOTHING BUT GOOD WILL COME BACK TO YOU. If you work, educate yourself you will prosper, because you will buy the things that will make you content. Some people like mansion, some people like a effiency, some people live clean, some people live dirty...that is their choice. But if you line your life up with the word of God and follow His commandments you will prosper in life. You won't live poor, you will work and provide for yourself and family...loving money is different from providing for your family and getting things that you would like to have. I love my home and I like nice things in my home and I like driving, because I don't like public transportation (only when I want to) I like eating good, I like getting my hair done, and buying my grandchildren school clothes, bikes, books, toys and providing them support for the athletics and music aspirations and all that costs money, so I work. A person is rich when they have family and friends that LOVE them. Now, I don't have a Lamborgini, I have a modest vechicle, I brought in cash in August 2009. Wisdom allows me to make good choices for my life. I don't have a car payment. I own my home, so I don't have to pay somebody else rent, I shop at Super 10 and Dollar tree. Godly wisdom allows one the affordability to live peacably and content, but you don't have to live poor....like in the streets. God's desire for man is not to be beggars we are to be lenders...our doors should be open to people, we should be able to visit the sick and shut ins, we are to be able to feed the hungry and we cannot do that if we don't have the wisdom to make a honest and fruitful living. The love of money is a total different aspect....that is greed, doing anythiing for a dollar etc. That WAS NOT what I was saying.

When God say thou shall not covet...that's right,....you should not want what someone else has, because you don't know what they did to get it....The topic was on Prosperity preaching and so many spiritual leaders twist the word of God to pump people up in areas of money, like so many people twist the word of God to their own understanding. But to God be the glory...only the righteous (right) will stand.

In Love, Sis. Denise
YOU said quote>>when you a person lines their life up to the Word of God, wisdom brings about financial prosperity

THATS NOT TRUE...
Solomon asked God for Wisdom instead of riches. With wisdom he was able to rule well and receive well. Meaning wisdom is knowing to do what is right and thus you will reap what is right. Wisdom will bring about financial prosperity when you are wise.

In Love, Sis. Denise
Solomon asked for wisdom and God gave him a test..he failed...

According to the Bible at I Kings 11:1-7 says And King Sol′o·mon himself loved many foreign wives along with the daughter of Phar′aoh, Mo′ab·ite, Am′mon·ite, E′dom·ite, Si·do′ni·an [and] Hit′tite women, from the nations of whom Jehovah had said to the sons of Israel: "YOU must not go in among them, and they themselves should not come in among YOU; truly they will incline YOUR heart to follow their gods." It was to them that Sol′o·mon clung to love [them]. And he came to have seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives gradually inclined his heart". And it came about in the time of Sol′o·mon's growing old that his wives themselves had inclined his heart to follow other gods; and his heart did not prove to be complete with Jehovah his God like the heart of David his father. And Sol′o·mon began going after Ash′to·reth the goddess of the Si·do′ni·ans and after Mil′com the disgusting thing of the Am′mon·ites. And Sol′o·mon began to do what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah, and he did not follow Jehovah fully like David his father.
I know the story...and like Solomon, so many of us get the Word of God and God grant us Wisdom to do right then we get beside ourselves and think we know just as much as God and start acting like gods. I still stand on the fact that real wisdom will bring about financial prosperity, stability and peace. As long as a person will except the Lord, follow His instructions anything asked in the Name of Jesus will be granted. And I am not talking about just materials things. I'm speaking of being a able body, right mind, healthy, peace etc. Because without those things you won't be able to enjoy material things. All I want you to know, is that I believe that God is the great I AM and He can and will do as He pleases with His creation and that when the ultimate test comes, I will be ready and obedient to HIM and only HIM. I have tasted the goodness of the Lord and it is good and NO man, preacher, pastor, teacher can change my mind on what God can and will do. I thank God for His love, peace and understanding....because if He was anything like the so called teachers of His word, we ALL wouldn't even have His air to breathe, because people have a problem with acceptance. Like they won't except how someone has gotten even the knowledge of God and that God will give understanding to whom He WILL. Bless you my dear Bro. and may God continue to guide you.

In Love, Sis. Denise

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service