Is The Trinity Biblical?
From the Christian Research Institute
www.equip.org
The Trinity is a basic doctrine of orthodox Christianity. Yet the word "Trinity" is not found anywhere in the Bible. Is the doctrine of the Trinity really biblical?
The doctrine of the Trinity says that there is one All Mighty One (God) who exists eternally as three distinct persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I can assure you that the elements of this doctrine are all taken directly from the Bible.
The first plank of the Trinitarian platform is that there is only one All Mighty One (God). The Bible could not be more explicit on this point, which it states explicitly about two dozen times. In Isaiah 44:8 Yahweh (The LORD) says that even He does not know of any other (mighty ones)gods!
Yahshua (Jesus) often spoke of the All Mighty One (God) as His Father, and the apostles frequently spoke of "the Almighty One (God) the Father." But the New Testament also insists that Yahshua (Jesus) is The Almighty One (God). For example, Thomas acknowledged Yahshua (Jesus) as, "My Lord(master) and my Almighty One (God)" (John 20:28), and both Peter and Paul spoke of Yahshua (Jesus) as "our All Mighty One (God) and Savior" (2 Pet. 1:1; Tit. 2:13). Yet the New Testament also makes the distinction between the Father and the Son as two very different persons. In fact they tell us that they love one another, speak to each other, and seek to glorify each other (e.g., John 17: 1-26).
The Old Testament refers often to the Holy Spirit as The Almighty One (God) at work in the world, without distinction from the Father. But Yahshua (Jesus) in John 14 to 16 explained that this Holy Spirit would be sent by the Father at the Messiah’s (Christ's) request. The Holy Spirit would teach and guide the disciples, not speaking on His own initiative, but speaking on the Messiah’s 9Christ's) behalf and glorifying The messiah (Christ). Thus, the Holy Spirit is revealed by The Messiah (Christ) to be a third person distinct from the Father and distinct from the Son.
In short, the doctrine of the Trinity is completely and totally biblical, and it is essential that all the Followers of the Messiah Yahshua (Christians) give assent to this doctrine.

Views: 1288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice little clip, but the clip I posted is alot more consistent with what goes on here! I say that because there are two particular things that the Oneness have avoided consistently in this debate of ours:

-Greek & Hebrew Translations (very little study have been put into it by Oneness Pentecostals)
-Church History (only taking slight jabs at it, but never venturing into it because it proves the origin of the Oneness doctrine with Sabellius, and the truth of the Trinity)
MR. WATSON Then Why do you say one God.(Correct me if I am Wrong) has EACH ITS OWN PERSONality Will and Mind but one God in unity as the trinity?
You do the math. 1+1+1=3 Gods in unity but Y'all Deny this and say persons in a play which I don't believe God to Be.
Brother Watson already did the maths, Della you must of missed it, so here it is again.

1 x 1 x 1 = 1

I hope you all can see this chart above I tried to draw you to explain Church History.
Now you can see there is a clear distinction why oneness people ignore the so called catholic church and it's false teaching of the trinity..Trinitarians get their doctrine from Constantine that started this politic mess of confusion in 325 A.D.. They Claim their religion has started the Trinty in church history which also changed the baptism in the Lord Jesus to
the titles Father Son Holy ghost from the bible.
So Ok They are going to tell me that when Jesus was baptized years later After the Bible was written they counted ONE,TWO THREE GODS Or PERSONS in scripture? A NEW REVELATION AFTER The New Testament true church had already been established!!!! The Jews Knew that there was ONE GOD and when they saw Jesus Get baptized They looked to him as the Messsiah and the signs that God Did. There
Wasn't Any Idea of GOD IN THREE SEPARATE PERSONS! THE TRINITY WAS CREATED FOR UNITY JUST Because someone that was TRITHEISM -belief in three Gods Constantine didn't want the His church to be Divided SO to appease people that had Worshiped Pagan Gods to bring them together. If They believed in More than one God He Didn't Care He Wanted Unity! There was A big Political Debate on the Godhead, Therefore the trinity was formed Also CHANGING THE Baptismal Formula from the original Baptismal mode Lord Jesus Christ To The Titles Father Son Holy Ghost!
He wanted This NEW REVELATION TO BE UNIVERSAL. But Sorry to say So much of Christianity has embraced The Doctrine of the trinity, Church History made by man, The Apostle's Creed Without SEEING IF THESE LINED UP WITH THE WORD OF GOD,BUT INSTEAD HAVING CHURCH LEADERS DICTATE TO THEM THEIR Philosophies! the Bible Warns us:Colossians 2:8-9 (King James Version)

8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Does the Scripture say that Jesus Christ was a third part in a trinity? The Bible does not teach this Why Should We?

Matthew 24:11 (King James Version)

11And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
2 Peter 2:1-3 (King James Version)

2 Peter 2

1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, *(The Trinity)even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

3And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
" One of those d**nable heresies was the teaching of the trinity - three person concept of the Godhead.
During the Apostolic Age of the early Church the Doctrine of the Trinity was unheard of. The early church did not believe in three persons in the Godhead. They believed in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - simply believing that each was a "despensational manifestation" of One and the same God. But with organized religion came intellectual theologians, without Spiritual revelation. They took it upon themselves to take the understanding of the Word out of the hands of the Holy Ghost and place it in the hands of the 'clergy' of the organized church. Until finally, during the dark ages, the organized anti-christ church forbid the ordinary person to read the Scriptures, causing them to depend entirely on the clergy for spiritual guidance or rather, mis-guidance.

It was NOT until after the apostolic age that the theory of three persons in the Godhead was introduced into the Church. Slowly but surely, the theologians were making the Godhead an issue which eventually caused divisions within the Christian community. Finally, in 325 A.D. Emperor Constantine called for a meeting of all the Bishops of the "organized" church to settle the dispute. Hundreds of others attended this meeting to express their views. There were about fifteen hundred delegates in all; and the laity outnumbered the bishops five to one in the delegation. At this, the first of all "Ecumenical Councils", held in Nicaea (now Iznik, Turkey) in 325 A.D., the subject of the Godhead became an issue and a cardinal doctrine, causing a two way split among the people. But in spite of the large number of lay people present, opposing the idea of 'three persons' in the Godhead, the Nicolaitanes (cold, formal clergy), organized religion and Constantine's political plan out-maneuvered and out-voted the true church. (SEE CHART ABOVE)

The vast majority of Roman Bishops came away from that council believing in three persons in the Godhead, thus believing in three Gods. But the true church, under the leadership of the Holy Spirit, maintained their Scriptural stand that God is ONE - not three; Because the Revelation through John by the Spirit to the churches was, "I am the Lord Jesus Christ, and I am ALL of it - the Alpha and Omega, the Almighty. There isn't any other God". And He put His seal on this Revelation. The organized church of Rome became so powerful that it began a campaign of persecution of the "True Church, eventually, putting 68,000,000 of them to death.

Foxe's Book of Martyrs clearly details the 'brutality' with which organized Nicolaitane religion, in the form of the Roman Catholic Church, brutally murdered 68,000,000 protestants. Make no wonder, John, in the Book of Revelation said that 'she' (the false Nicolaitane church) was "drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the marytrs of Jesus" (Revelation 17:6).

Still, after 1700 years no other Doctrine is as "sacred" to Traditional organized Christianity (both Roman Catholic and Protestant) as the doctrine of the 'Trinity'. To the 'traditional Christian' the teaching of the 'three person' concept of the Godhead is a 'precious jewel' in their Christian confession. Dare anyone, even God Himself, challenge the Scripturalness of it. Most professing Christians turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the truth of where the trinity - three person concept of God originated. The tradition of the elders have made a false trinity doctrine the cornerstone of the Christian Faith. For this they will answer to God

Concerning the Godhead, William Branham made the following statement in a Message entitled, 'Abraham's Covenant Confirmed' (1961): "I am not 'Jesus Only'...I'm not Oneness. Not at all. I'm not trintiy either. I'm a Christian. I believe in God. I believe in God manifested in three offices. NOW, His office is in my heart, in your heart. Not another God somewhere else; another God somewhere else; and another God somewhere else. That's as pagan as pagan can be. NEVER one time was that even thought of until the Nicene Council. find it in the Bible, or find it in history - till that time - it's not there."

Though he embraced the "Oneness" formula for water baptism - in the NAME of the Lord Jesus Christ, William Branham's view of the Godhead is far from the "Unitarian" concept or the concept preached by the United Pentecostal Church. Yet, the teaching of "three persons' in the Godhead is so ingrained in the people that to question it's validity is immediately called heresy and branded as a 'cult'. The Churches which follow the Message brought by William Branham have long been listed as cults; but recently, on the internet, some self-proclaimed 'cult expert' branded the United Pentecostal Church as a cult - all because they don't believe in the trinity. This is ridiculous - No where, in Scripture are we "commanded" or asked to believe in 'three persons' in the Godhead???

The first of the Ten Commandments gives instruction concerning how many Gods we are to have - "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" (Exodus 20:3). Notice, it says 'me' not 'us'. To interpret the word "us" in Genesis 1:26 as referring to a pluralty of persons in the Godhead is to say that there are three Gods. The term "us" is mentioned again in Genesis 11:7 and in Genesis 18. In Genesis 18 the "us" comes down to commune with Abraham. "One" of them is the LORD (Jehovah) Himself in human form. Abraham bowed to this One, calling Him (capital) "LORD". The other two were Angels in human form.

Because of the use of the plural pronoun in Genesis 1:26, this Scripture reference is used extensively by trinitarian theologians in their attempt to prove a 'three person' concept of the Godhead. But they fail to perceive that this is God's way of indicating, not a plurality of persons, but of offices or manifestations of the same God. Down through the ages, since the beginning of time, He has revealed Himself to man in many different 'forms' and different ways. But He forever remains the ONE and self-same Being.

Trinitarians also point out the use of the plural name "Elohim" in Genesis 1:1, saying that it conclusively indicates 'persons' in the Godhead. Elohim, however, is used to depict other Old Testament deities (whether real or imaginary). Baal, Judges 6:31 and Beelzebub, 2nd Kings 1:2 are both called "Elohim", but they were not trinities. Therefore the word, "Elohim" does not express a plurality of persons but of attributes and of majesty. In the ancient theaters of hundreds of years ago an 'actor' could be called "Elohim" because it was the custom for 'one' actor to portray many characters in the same play, simply by changing from one mask to another - but he was still ONE person, playing many different characters.

Without 'spiritual revelation' most people are stumbled by such terms as 'we' and 'us'. Of course, taking the terminology out of the context of the whole Revelation of the Godhead leads the carnal mind to conclude that there must be three persons in the Godhead. They count: the Father (1) + the Son (1) + the Holy Ghost (1) = 3. But with Divine 'Spiritual revelation', the Believer starts with the Great Eternal Spirit - for God is a Spirit - He is the Holy Spirit; and out of the Holy Spirit came the Fatherhood despensation, the Sonship despensation and the Holy Ghost (Spirit) despensation - three manifestations of the ONE God. God above us in the Fatherhood; God with us in the Sonship; and God in us by the Holy Ghost.

Without a doubt, the majority of denominational, non-denominational and inter-denominational church members have yet to acknowledge the Truth that has now been accepted by most Christian intellectuals for decades - the Truth that a belief in a trinity of "Three Persons" (in the Godhead), in modern language is nothing less than tri-theism - a belief in "three God's". The distinguished theologian, Dr. Hans Kung, in his book, Being A Christian, (1976, p.446) wrote, "The monotheistic faith taken over from Israel...must never be abondoned in any doctrine of the Trinity. There is no God but God."

Yet that is exactly what denominational Christianity did - they abondoned the "one" God of Israel in favor of a three-headed monstrosity called "The Holy Trinity".
It is anything but "holy". In fact the Bible speaks of "three unclean spirits" like frogs, coming out of the mouth of the Dragon, the Beast and the false prophet (Rev. 16:13). The True Prophet of God to this Endtime Age said that these 'three unclean spirits' is the "three person trinity" teaching which was introduced into the Church in 325 A.D. It is one of the biggest deceptions which the Devil has pushed over on the church since the Serpent persuaded Eve that the fruit of the forbidden tree would make her wise 'like God'. But the carnal wisdom and knowledge she inherited was bitter and not better - she could well have done without it.

The church world could well do without the Trinity teaching concept of 'three persons' in the Godhead. For some protestants the teaching of a Saturday-Sabbath or some other doctrine is the key to their experience and relationship with God; to the vast majority of protestants the trinity teaching seems to be the cornerstone of their faith. With the same fervor with which patriotic citizens sing their national anthem, even so the trinitarians sing "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty; God in three persons, Blessed Trinity". Such an idea flies in the face of not only common sense but more importantly, the HOLY Scriptures.

It is written......

Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God............................................... .................................................. ..........John 10:32-33
Because Jesus claimed to be God - not 'one-third' part of God, but God Himself, the pharisees were about to stone Him to death. In John chapter 8 they again wanted to stone Him when He said, "Before Abraham was, I AM." He declared Himself to be the "I AM" (verses 58-59). When God commissioned Moses to go down into Egypt to bring Israel out of bondage He identified Himself to Moses as the "I AM" - NOT the "WE ARE". Jesus plainly declared Himself to be the "I AM".

In Isaiah 44:6 The Jehovah of the Old Testament identified Himself to Israel with these words:

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I the first, and I the last; and beside me no God.
In Revelation 1:8, 11 the Jesus of the New Testament identified Himself to the Church with these words:

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.....the First and the Last.
Therefore, the Jehovah of the Old Testament is the Jesus of the New Testament. All these expressions, 'Alpha', 'Omega', 'beginning', 'ending', `Him Which Is', and `Him Which Was', and `Is To Come', and 'the Almighty' are titles and descriptions of the ONE AND THE SAME PERSON - the Lord Jesus Christ, Who washed us from our sins in His own blood. We have been redeemed with the 'blood of God'. Paul in Acts 20:28 said. "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood." After Jesus had experienced death, burial and resurrection, Thomas, in John 20:28 declared Him to be "My Lord and my God". 1st. John 5:20 declares Jesus Christ to be "the True God, and eternal Life". Romans 9:5 also declares Jesus Christ to be God - Supreme Deity. The references goes on and on.

The Spirit of God in John, expecially in the Book of Revelation, clearly expresses the Supreme Deity of Jesus Christ and reveals the Godhead as ONE God. Still man insists on telling God that He is 'three' and not 'one'. With the carnal mind, man 'starts' with the Father and says: The Father is God; then the Son is God; and of course the Holy Spirit is God; therefore, that makes three persons. But the 'spiritual' mind 'starts' with "One God" and says: God is the Father; God is the Son; and God is the Holy Spirit - One God in three major manifestations of His Character! The Trinity - three person concept of the Godhead is a carnal interpretation of a spiritual revelation - hidden from the eyes of the wise and prudent and revealed to babes such as would learn (Matthew 11:2. As I have already stated above - to have 'three persons' is to have 'three Gods'. (see Chart Above)

Now Who or what Are You Believing today?
Will you Follow Traditions Of Men Or will you believe the pure word of God?
John 5:43 (King James Version)

43I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

So What Name Represents The Father in this Verse?
Well Who was speaking? JESUS CHRIST.

15If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Trinitarians claim another person in the Godhead But Read On and see the Whole truth!

17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Another words He was saying No one can see God (SPIRIT) BUT I AM WITH you (God Manifest in The Flesh Jn1:14) and I will be in YOU! The SAME Spirit of God will dwell in Us!!! Jesus the Hpoe of Glory will dwell in us! So to have the Holy spirit is to have Jesus.
Jesus is The Holy Spirit! When a believer opens his her heart to receive Jesus They Receive The Holy Ghost. How Did Was The Holy Ghost Poured Out?( Act 2)
So Was Was The Son's Name?
Matthew 1:20-21 (King James Version)

20But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

21And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Colossians 3:17 (King James Version)

17And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

This Would include baptism by calling or invoking the Name Of Jesus Christ In Water Baptism.

SO TO HAVE JESUS IS TO HAVE THE COMPLETE GODHEAD.

Colossians 2:8-9 (King James Version)

8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Mr. Watson Anyone Can Say they Believe in God But by what authority?
If I give you a check Suppose you were going to be baptized for example and I gave you a check of $1000. And signed it Co-Worker,Daughter,Sister? Would The Bank Cash it?
No. Why Not? Because Those are Titles that is not my name. The bank needs to know who by what authority is this person? by what Name?

So Back to you getting Baptized.
If you give me this Check

I Will Give You what Is Valid.

It is my opinion that we should not call it a "trinity." HaShem cannot be 3 in one. HaShem is the father, for which 2 proceeds from Him. The 2 are the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These two are the essence of the father. The Son is the divine expression of HaShem. The Holy Spirit is what gives us life and power. All in all, these 2 are from HaShem(John 7-8).

In the OT, the angel of HaShem was seen as HaShem Himself. Why? Because the angel of HaShem was the very presence of HaShem. This angel was the embodiement of "The Name." One famous instance of this is in Exodus 3 when the angel of HaShem appeared to Moses in the burning bush.

The text says that the angel of HaShem was there. Then the text said HaShem called out to Him. Why did it switch from the angel of HaShem appearing in a flame of fire in the bush, to HaShem Himself calling out to Moses? The answer is simply, the angel of HaShem is the very presence of HaShem.

Moses was not actually seeing the form of HaShem, rather, he was seeing a manifestation of the presence of HaShem. This is the real understanding of the operations between HaShem, Yeshua, and the Holy Spirit. Let us be free from all paganism, and declare that HaShem is Elohim.

It is my opinion that if we can come to an understanding of what I stated above, then this trinity vs oneness debate would cease. What I stated above in no way contradicts HaShem.

Shalom
AMEN James,You and I see eye to eye THERE IS BUT ONE GOD!

Find more videos like this on Apostolic Worship View Network! Here's a short Clip of my Church service today. Topic: Church History,Water Baptism
The red dot pointer doesn't show up but he points out the bible B.C and A.D on the time Line and The Trinity(Counsel of Nicaea)325A,D
They claim they started originally as the first christian Church. But if they distort the bible and added The Trinity and take away Water Baptism in Jesus Name. Why Did Christians embrace the Trinity?
So Ok They are going to tell me that when Jesus was baptized years later After the Bible was written they counted ONE,TWO THREE GODS Or PERSONS in scripture? A NEW REVELATION AFTER The New Testament true church had already been established!!!! The Jews Knew that there was ONE GOD and when they saw Jesus Get baptized They looked to him as the Messsiah and the signs that God Did. There
Wasn't Any Idea of GOD IN THREE SEPARATE PERSONS! THE TRINITY WAS CREATED FOR UNITY JUST Because someone that was TRITHEISM -belief in three Gods Constantine didn't want the His church to be Divided SO to appease people that had Worshiped Pagan Gods to bring them together. If They believed in More than one God He Didn't Care He Wanted Unity! There was A big Political Debate on the Godhead, Therefore the trinity was formed Also CHANGING THE Baptismal Formula from the original Baptismal mode Lord Jesus Christ To The Titles Father Son Holy Ghost!
He wanted This NEW REVELATION TO BE UNIVERSAL. But Sorry to say So much of Christianity has embraced The Doctrine of the trinity, Church History made by man, The Apostle's Creed Without SEEING IF THESE LINED UP WITH THE WORD OF GOD,BUT INSTEAD HAVING CHURCH LEADERS DICTATE TO THEM THEIR Philosophies! the Bible Warns us:Colossians 2:8-9 (King James Version)

Does the Scripture say that Jesus Christ was a third part in a trinity? The Bible does not teach this Why Should We?
Anthony I have No Problem with the scriptures you provided. But The Problem I do have is that Your Dividing One God Into THREE SEPARATE CATEGORIES BY Stating He Has Three separate wills.Personalities Therefore (you Won't admit this ) Making Three separate Gods. Jesus Had Two Wills one divine and one Human That doesn't make HIM TWO Separate Persons.

The Next Question you had: Also, when Stephen looked and saw Jesus standing at the right of God, was He (Jesus) standing next to Himself?

MY ANSWER: The Bible teaches that God is an invisible Spirit, yet it also describes Him in terms that relate to the human body. Many Trinitarians use these descriptions to support their doctrine, particularly passages that speak of the right hand of God and the face of God. Let us investigate what the Bible means by these terms.

John 4:24 says, "God is a Spirit," or "God is spirit" (NIV). This means His eternal essence is not human or physical. Apart from the Incarnation, God does not have a physical body. "A spirit hath not flesh and bones" (Luke 24:39). God the Father is not "flesh and blood" (Matthew 16:17).

Because He is a Spirit, God is invisible to humans. "No man hath seen God at any time" (John 1:1. "No man hath seen, nor can see" Him (I Timothy 6:16).

Moreover, the Bible teaches that God is omnipresent: His Spirit fills the universe. "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me" (Psalm 139:7-10).

These facts about God show that we cannot understand the physical descriptions of Him in a grossly "letteristic" way. We are to interpret the Bible according to the ordinary, apparent, grammatical, historical meaning of its words, just as we do with other forms of speech and writing. In doing so, we will recognize that all human communication, including the Bible, uses figurative language. We are not free to impose an allegorical interpretation upon Scripture, but when the Bible itself indicates that we are to understand certain phrases or passages in a figurative way, then that is how we must interpret them.

When we read about God's eyes, nostrils, heart, feet, hands, and wings, it is clear from the rest of Scripture that we are not dealing with a human, beast, or fowl. The Bible does not use these terms to describe a physical being, but to give us insight into the nature, character, and attributes of God. For instance, God expresses His sovereignty by saying, "The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool" (Isaiah 66:1). The Bible describes God's miraculous power as "the finger of God" and "the blast of thy nostrils" (Exodus 8:19;15:; His omniscience and omnipresence by saying, "The eyes of the LORD are in every place" (Proverbs 15:3); His protection by speaking of "the shadow of thy wings" (Psalm 36:7); and His sorrow over human sin as having grieved him at his heart" (Genesis 6:6).

It would be foolish to conclude from these passages that God is a giant who props up His feet on the North Pole, blows air from His nostrils, focuses his eyes to see us, uses wings to fly, and has a blood-pumping organ. Rather the Bible uses concepts taken from our human experience to enable us to understand the characteristics of God's spiritual nature.

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE RIGHT HAND

This principle is especially true when the Bible speaks of the right hand of God. Since most humans are right-handed, in most cultures the right hand signifies strength, skill, and dexterity. The very word dexterity comes from the Latin word dexter, meaning "on the right side." In ancient times, the most honored guest was seated on the right hand of the host. As a result, in Hebrew, Greek, and English the right hand is a metaphor for power and honor.

The Bible uses this metaphor repeatedly with reference to humans as well as God. Of course, in some passages the Bible uses "right" or "right hand" in its locational meaning, in contrast to "left" or "left hand. " But many times the use of "right hand" is figurative. Since God does not have a physical right hand (apart from the Incarnation) and is not confined to a physical location, when the Bible speaks of His right hand, it speaks figuratively or metaphorically.

A study of the "right hand" passages in the Bible reveals that the right hand of God represents His almighty power, His omnipotence, particularly in bestowing salvation, deliverance, victory, and preservation. "My right hand hath spanned the heavens" (Isaiah 48:13). `Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O LORD, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.... Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them" (Exodus 15:6,12). "His right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory* (Psalm 98:1). "Thy right hand shall save me" (Psalm 138:7). "I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness" (Isaiah 41:10). There are numerous other examples where the Bible uses "right hand" as a metaphor for power. [1]

In Scripture, the right hand also signifies the position of honor, blessing, and preeminence. "At thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore" (Psalm 16:11). "Thy right hand is full of righteousness" (Psalm 48:10). "A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left" (Ecclesiastes 10:2).

When Jacob blessed Joseph's two sons, Joseph wanted him to put his right hand upon Manasseh, the older son, to signify that he would have preeminence. Joseph insisted, "This is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head" (Genesis 48:1. Jacob refused, in a reversal of normal procedure, saying, "Truly his younger brother shall be greater than he" (Genesis 48:19). (For other examples where the right hand means a position of favor or preeminence, see Exodus 29:20; Leviticus 8:23; 14:14-28; Psalm 45:9; 110:1; Jeremiah 22:24; Matthew 25:33-34.)

JESUS AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD

So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God (Mark 16:19).

Many passages in the New Testament tell us that Jesus sits on the right hand of God. As we have already seen, it would be a mistake to interpret this description to mean that Jesus sits eternally on top of a giant divine hand or at the side of another divine personage. How could we determine what is the right hand of the omnipresent Spirit of God?

The obvious purpose of this description is to exalt the Lord Jesus Christ. By using this phrase, the New Testament tells us that Jesus is not merely a man, but He is a man who has been invested with the almighty power of the indwelling Spirit of God and who has been exalted to the position of highest honor.

Since verses like Mark 16:19 speak of Jesus as being "on the right hand of God," some people suppose that in heaven they will see two divine persons, the Father and the Son, sitting or standing side by side. But no one has ever seen or can see God's invisible presence (I Timothy 6:16); no one can see God apart from Christ. Moreover, God has emphatically declared that there is no one beside Him (Isaiah 43:11 ; 44:6,. Christ is the visible "image of the invisible God," and the only way we can see the Father is to see him (Colossians 1:15; John 14:9). There is only one divine throne in heaven, and only One on that throne (Revelation 4:2; 22:3-4).

New Testament passages make clear that Jesus is "on the right hand of God" in the sense of having divine power, honor, glory, and preeminence. Jesus Himself said, "Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven" (Matthew 16:64). "Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God" (Luke 22:69). These words do not imply that we will see two divine persons in the clouds or in heaven, but one divine human person who has all he power and glory of the invisible Spirit of God.

Jesus was "by the right hand of God exalted" (Acts 2:33). He "is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him" (I Peter 1:22). God "raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is lamed, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come" Ephesians 1:20-21). "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God" (Colossians 3:1).

When Stephen was stoned, he "saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God" (Acts 7:55). He did not see two personages, but he saw the glory of God surrounding Jesus, who was revealed in the position of supreme power and authority. While on earth Jesus appeared to be an ordinary man and He lived as such with His disciples, but after His resurrection and ascension He appeared with visible glory and power as the almighty God. Although John had been Christ's closest associate while He was on earth and knew Him well, when He saw the ascended Christ in a vision he "fell at his feet as dead" (Revelation 1:17). Unlike Christ's typical appearance on earth, John saw Him in His divine glory.

That is what Stephen beheld also. The only divine person he saw was Jesus, and the only divine person he addressed was Jesus. He said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God" (Arts 7:56). He died "calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit" (Acts 7:59).

F. F. Bruce, one of the foremost evangelical theologians of the twentieth century, explained that biblical scholars past and present recognize Christ's right-hand position to be metaphoric, not physical:

Christ's present position of supremacy is described in the Pauline writings as being "at the right hand of God."... The apostles knew very well that they were using figurative language when they spoke of Christ's exaltation in these terms: they no more thought of a location on a literal throne at God's literal right hand than their twentieth-century successors do.... Martin Luther satirizes "that heaven of the fanatics ... with its golden chair and Christ seated at the Father's side, vested in a choir cope and a golden robe, as the painters love to portray him!" [2]

Several passages carry a further connotation relative to the Christ's right-hand position: they use this term to describe His present mediatorial role. "It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us" (Romans 8:34).

This does not mean that Christ has been kneeling for two thousand years, praying to some other deity. As a man, He has been glorified and has no further need to pray. As God, He never needed to pray and never had anyone to whom He could pray. Moreover, there is nothing He needs to add to the Atonement; His one sacrifice on the cross is sufficient to cover the sins of the whole world. When He said, "It is finished" and then died, His atoning work was complete (John 19:30). He "offered one sacrifice for sins for ever" the place of authority and of priestly service. For believers, he both rules and intercedes.... The rule of Christ will become actual. Meanwhile he patiently waits for the time when his enemies will be vanquished. There will then be no more opposition to Christ or his rule. [3]

[1] Deuteronomy 33:2; Job 40:14; Psalm 16:8; 17:7; 18:35; 20:6; 21:8; 44:3; 45:4; 60:5; 63:8; 73:23; 77:10; 78:54; 80:15, 17; 89:13, 25, 42; 108:6; 109:31; 118:15-16; 137:5; 139:10; Isaiah 62:8; 63:12; Lamentations 2:3-4; Ezekial 21:22; Habakkuk 2:16; Acts 5:31; Revelation 1:16.
More additional scriptures for look up.
I hope this helps. God bless. Love IN CHRIST,Della Morton

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service