Is The Trinity Biblical?
From the Christian Research Institute
www.equip.org
The Trinity is a basic doctrine of orthodox Christianity. Yet the word "Trinity" is not found anywhere in the Bible. Is the doctrine of the Trinity really biblical?
The doctrine of the Trinity says that there is one All Mighty One (God) who exists eternally as three distinct persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I can assure you that the elements of this doctrine are all taken directly from the Bible.
The first plank of the Trinitarian platform is that there is only one All Mighty One (God). The Bible could not be more explicit on this point, which it states explicitly about two dozen times. In Isaiah 44:8 Yahweh (The LORD) says that even He does not know of any other (mighty ones)gods!
Yahshua (Jesus) often spoke of the All Mighty One (God) as His Father, and the apostles frequently spoke of "the Almighty One (God) the Father." But the New Testament also insists that Yahshua (Jesus) is The Almighty One (God). For example, Thomas acknowledged Yahshua (Jesus) as, "My Lord(master) and my Almighty One (God)" (John 20:28), and both Peter and Paul spoke of Yahshua (Jesus) as "our All Mighty One (God) and Savior" (2 Pet. 1:1; Tit. 2:13). Yet the New Testament also makes the distinction between the Father and the Son as two very different persons. In fact they tell us that they love one another, speak to each other, and seek to glorify each other (e.g., John 17: 1-26).
The Old Testament refers often to the Holy Spirit as The Almighty One (God) at work in the world, without distinction from the Father. But Yahshua (Jesus) in John 14 to 16 explained that this Holy Spirit would be sent by the Father at the Messiah’s (Christ's) request. The Holy Spirit would teach and guide the disciples, not speaking on His own initiative, but speaking on the Messiah’s 9Christ's) behalf and glorifying The messiah (Christ). Thus, the Holy Spirit is revealed by The Messiah (Christ) to be a third person distinct from the Father and distinct from the Son.
In short, the doctrine of the Trinity is completely and totally biblical, and it is essential that all the Followers of the Messiah Yahshua (Christians) give assent to this doctrine.

Views: 1280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bro Rodrick:

While you are using your expertise in Greek, please don't forget that the "Spirit" in Greek is in the NEUTER (in the feminine in Hebrew!) not in the masculine, as the Trinitarian translators have rendered it, or were you aware of that or were you just neglecting to share that significant fact because you know if would undermine your unbiblical doctrine of the three person trinity, being composed of three described in the "male gender" in English described as "HE"?.

Can I get a witness one of you Greek scholars or must I post the evidence here myself that the "Spirit" in Greek is NEUTER, not masculine, not to be rendered by the pronoun "HE"
except by those who are trying to "force" the Spirit to be "male"?
. The Hebrew word for "spirit," ruach, is of feminine gender, while the
Greek word pneuma is neuter.

Despite the Church's official doctrine that the Holy Spirit is masculine, individuals and groups throughout the history of Christianity, including luminaries like St. Jerome (c.342-420) and Martin Luther (1483-1546), have repeatedly proposed that the Holy Spirit is feminine. In rabbinic Judaism the Holy Spirit is equated with the Shekhinah, the mother aspect of God. In light of the biblical notion of the androgynous image of God who created male and female in his image (Gen. 1:27)
The Hebrew word for Spirit (Ruach) is a feminine word and therefore always takes a feminine pronoun (she, her, etc).

The Greek word for Spirit (Pneuma) is a neuter word and therefore always takes a neuter pronoun (it). The only word in the Bible that could possibly give a biblical precedent for the use of a masculine pronoun for the Spirit is the word "Paraclete" which is used only in two passages in John's gospel. Therefore, in summary, there are strong biblical precedents for referring to the Spirit as either she or it, but very very little for referring to the Spirit as he.
Whats interesting to me is that whether in the neuter or the male, it does not negate the fact that there is full evidence of the Trinity. So I have to ask, in regards to the Trinity, WHATS YOUR POINT?
She wont.........she, and the rest that cling to the Oneness doctrine (Sabellianism) will dance around that fact/truth.
Watson:

In regards to the following text and the Greek word "allow" or "another"::

John 14: 16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another (allos) Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

there are a variety of meanings that it can have not the one you are attemting to force into this text":

Strong's # G 243

allos al'-los

Definition
another, other

Translated Words

KJV (160) - another, 62; misc, 2; one, 4; other(s), 81; some, 11;

NAS (154) - another, 50; another man, 2; another woman, 2; another's, 1; else, 4; more, 5; one, 3; one another, 1; one else, 1; other, 35; other men, 1; other women, 1; others, 41; some, 2; some another, 2; someone else, 3
;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alloV
allos

al'-los
a primary word; "else," i.e. different (in many applications):--more, one (another), (an-, some an-)other(-s, -wise).
King James Bible
Strong's Greek Dictionary
http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednamebiblecom/kjvstrongs/STRGRK2.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The above documentation should make it plain that your definition is much to narrow for the word "another"./"allos"

However, we can say that both are similar in both our Messiah and the pneuma /ruach are alike in that they both are Holy.

And Green, I am not Oneness/Pentecostal.
The number one problem you have here is you don't understand the rules of the language. Context, Context dirves the translation of the word. Strongs is good for the begining Bible student. The context of the passage tells one that the Lord Jesus is meaning another of the same kind as He is. Thurs, Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is God, not two Gods but one in nature and essence. Two parts of the Trinity. God the Father being mention in that passage as well.
Here is some scholarly reference material refuting the existance of the Trinity:

Jay P. Green’s Classic Bible Dictionary says about the word trinity,
"This is not itself a Biblical term, but was a term coined by Tertullian to refer to this whole concept under one word" (p. 483).

The Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature says forthrightly,

"Respecting the manner in which the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit make one
G-d, the Scripture teaches nothing, since the subject is of such a nature as not to admit of its being explained to us" ("Trinity," p. 553).
Interestingly enough, the word Apostolic is not found within the Bible either, but coined by the Apostolic Fathers afterwords. So whats your point on that?

Also, Bishop Clement of Rome, Bishop Ignatius of Antioch, and Bishop Polycarp of Smyrna (the Apostolic Fathers trained and ordained directly by Apostles Peter and John) refute Oneness Doctrine and uphold Trinitarian doctrine. They are the first students of the Apostle's doctrine, and they backed and taught the Trinity, though didn't use the term.
Its funny for me to see Oneness believers read scriptures that CLEARLY show JESUS praying to the FATHER, and JESUS CLEARLY saying that "another" would be sent, which is the HOLY SPIRIT. No scripture,. OT or NT, declared that the FATHER would come down and die for us at all. NONE!

To even try to use "Hear oh Israel, YHWH your GOD, YHWH is one" for the Oneness doctrine's proof is off. Lets see why:

-The term God there is "elohim", and if you have ANY sort of Biblical Hebraic training, you would understand that elohim is a plural word.
-The Holy Spirit chose to use the Hebrew word, "echad" which is used most often as a unified one, and sometimes as numeric oneness. For example, when God said in Genesis 2:24 "the two shall become one [echad] flesh" it is the same word for "one" that was used in Deut 6:4. The NUMERICAL word in Hebrew for one is "yachid". "Echad" is the word "one", referring to unity, not numerical value. The same word "echad" was used when GOD spoke of the man and woman coming together in marriage, becoming "unified" (echad) in marriage. They are not one person, but one group unified. Likewise, YHWH is not "a single" being, but 3 unified (echad)
So, so, SOOOO sad. What gets me is that I'm seeing these fake Hebrew Israelites and other phonies up here trying to talk Hebrew, and yet they could get what I said about the the simple word "one" in Hebrew!
Brother Rodrick Sweet,

We all agree that there is ONE GOD. But, that is not the question.

The Question lies in the fact that you fail to explain clearly your following theory:

"THREE PERSONS IN GOD"

And your common answer to that question is:

The holy Trinity is a mystery, nothing more, nothing less!

If that mystery has been revealed to you, then you must be able to explain it in light of the Holy Scriptures.

Father = one Person

The Son = one Person

Holy Spirit = one person

Father is God + Holy Spirit is God + The Son is God = THREE PERSONS = ONE God

One God + One God+ One God = THREE PERSONS = ONE God

Trinitarians fail to explain this difficult and absurd equation.

Is this the creed of the earlier Church?

No! The Holy Bible doesn't support this satanic doctrine.

What a funny doctrine!

Blessings,

Bro. Germain

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service