"TQ" (Trivia Question) "Baptism" Can we be saved without being baptized?

Some people say, "baptism doesn't save us". I agree....... Not by itself it doesn't. But it was apart of Jesus' command in a few texts. Matthew 28:19-20 and Mark 16:16 are two popular ones on baptism. Was Jesus' commands an option? Or commands we should obey if we want to be saved? Think about it and then tell me if baptism is essential to salvation. Enjoy!

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ANTHONY:
   Acts 16 also give us evidence that Paul's message of the gospel included water Baptism:

25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

26Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody’s chains came loose.

27The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped.

28But Paul shouted, “Don’t harm yourself! We are all here!”

29The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas.

30He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”

31They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

32Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house.

33At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately

***HE AND ALL HIS FAMILY WERE BAPTIZED***.

34The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

So Anthony, the  Biblical text gives us evidence that Baptism accompanied Paul's message of repentance and accepting Jesus as Messiah.

Anthony:

If Paul did not teach baptism as part of his gospel message, why are these Synagogue leaders in Acts 18, being baptized after Paul's message:

Acts 18:7

Then ***Paul*** left the synagogue and went next door to the house of Titius Justus, a worshiper of God. 8Crispus, the synagogue ruler, and his entire household believed in the Lord; and many of the Corinthians who heard him ***believed and were baptized.***

I believe the elders succeeded the "foundational" apostles in maintaining discipleship (Matthew 28:19-20) and pastoral oversight of the churches. (Acts 20:28) Now I'll ask you a question..... Seeing that in Jesus' example, and in most of the salvation experiences in Acts, with the exception of a few people. Do you see baptism preceeding the filling/gift of the Holy Ghost? And do you believe a person is sealed with the Holy Ghost before being obedient to being baptized?

I'm trying to see the significance of Jesus being baptized before the spirit descended on him, and Peter proclaiming that they would receive the gift of the Holy Ghost after repenting and being baptized.

No I'm not trying to get you to see anything. Thanks for the dialog on this topic.

Along a similar line, at what time is a man and woman officially married before God?
Once they decide to marry, does God recognize them  as married, and can they before officially being married, become sexually involved with one another?

Does Biblical marriage require a "minister" to sanctify the vows between a man and a woman, or are they married in God's eyes, before the ceremony?

And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. Genesis 38:8

Maurice, can you please elaborate on your comment on Gen 38:8?  Don't understand what point you were trying to make.

In your comment on my other post you asked for a scripture reference to support my answer. When Judah admonishes Onan to go into his brother's wife, that's sexual intercource. Sexual intercource consumates a marriage. The two shall become one flesh. (Genesis 2:24)

After reading the comments (so far) to this topic, I have a question: are we, the witnesses of the water baptism, to be responsible to love one another, be kind to one another, forbear one another in love, admonish one another, comfort one another, exhort, edify, forgive, and strengthen one another daily - through this we are serving one another?

Iron sharpens iron.......

A sword or knife made of iron is sharpened by it, so butchers sharpen their knives so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend by conversation with him. Thus learned men sharpen one another's minds, and excite each other to learned studies.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service