The word "Spirit" is used to describe the third person of the trinity, the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not just an emotion or feeling. Neither is the Holy Spirit a "thing" or "it." HE IS A PERSON.

He is also referred to in the Bible as the Holy Ghost, the Comforter, Spirit of Truth, Spirit of God and Spirit of Christ. To live fruitful lives for Christ, Christians must be acquainted with the Holy Spirit.

Can anyone describe or explain the . . . .

1. Attributes of the Holy Spirit
2. Purpose of the Holy Spirit
3. Being Filled with the Holy Spirit
4. Manifestation of the Holy Spirit

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eccl,

Yes, I recall your questions and my response is the same . . .

I am aware that the word Trinity is not in the scriptures and that it is not a biblical word. This is a doctrine that is not explicit in the NT even though it is often said that it is implicit in the OT and explicit in the NT. Nevertheless, the doctrine grows out of the scriptures, so it is a biblical teaching.

Furthermore, this particular topic has been thoroughly discussed/debated on other threads, so I am not going to rehash this argument. If you do not accept the doctrine of the Trinity - so be it. I am not offended and I hope you are not as well.
I didn't ask any of the things you answered.

So you don't know when it was formulized nor who gave it to you?
The reformers and all Reformation Confessions express the doctrine of the Trinity in the orthodox fashion formulated in the early church (see Calvin Institutes 1.13, for example). Calvin seemed to find the idea of the eternal generation of the Son difficult, if not useless, though he did not deny it. Luther accepted the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity because he felt it was taught in the Scriptures though he felt that faith alone could comprehend it. The Augsburg Confession (1530) clearly declares "that there is one divine essence which is called and is God . . .yet there are three Persons of the same essence and power; who also are coeternal, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" (111.7). Likewise the Westminister Confession (1647) states: "In the unit of the Godhead there be three Persons, of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost: the Father is of none, neither begotten, nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son" (II.3).

Socinianism in the 16th century denied the preexistence of the Son, considering Him only a man. It taught that there was only one divine essence containing only one Person. These views influenced English Unitarianism and English Deism. Many Unitarians were not Diests, but all Diests had a unitarian concept of God. The heretical lineage was Arianism to Sociniansim to Unitariansim to Deism. American Unitarianism was a direct descendant of English Unitarianism. The orthodox view of the Trinity was and is held by many in the modern period.
I see you did some research, but you still didn't answer my questions. Did you intentionally leave out the fact that this "concept" or "doctrine" of a triune God is much older than Christanity?

With the information you provided I can't see how you could have missed it!

Well here is just some of the information about when this concept was started AND who it was that gave us the present "non-biblical doctrine" of the trinity;

The idea of a triune deity is very ancient, and can be traced back to ancient Babylon

A "trinity" existed in the pagan Brahman religion long before Jesus Christ ever walked the earth in the flesh and ages before a Christian church existed.

In Egypt, we see a trinity in the form of Osiris, Isis, and Horus.

In ancient Assyria there has been found a certain figure representing the ancient pagan trinity. It portrays a head and body of an old man with a "zero" or circle surrounding his body. This circle represents the "seed" in pagan symbolism. And lastly you see the wings and tail of the bird or dove extending from the old man. This is unity of three persons.

Now let's look to see how long it took for "the church" to formulize the trinity doctrine as it has been redressed;

The New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1967, Vol. 14, concedes, "The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century… Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective."

By the time Calvin and Luther read about the concept of the trinity it had been around for over 1000 years. Long enough for any lie to become a truth.

Let's read more;

The doctrine of the Trinity is a "revealed doctrine" foreign to the Scriptures and is supported by many authorities, including the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. Under the article Trinity we read, "The term ‘Trinity’ is not a biblical term…In point of fact, the doctrine of the Trinity is a purely revealed doctrine…As the doctrine of the Trinity is indiscoverable by reason, so it is incapable of proof from reason"

So it was the Catholic church that gave you your trinity doctrine.

Aren't they the same organization that gave you Sunday as a day of rest?

And didn't they also give you your X-Mas?

They also gave you your Easter?

And let's not forget about going to heaven!

As a matter of fact, it was the Catholic Church that is responsible for organizing and cannonizing the books of the bible, Gen. - Rev.!!

Are you Catholic? You sure do a lot of the same things!!!

But what about the apostles? Or even the bible itself? None of them EVER used the phase, "God the Father, God the Son and god the holy ghost"!

Looks like Christianity has borrowed yet another pagan practice!!!

But this time they have built their whole religion on something that is a MYSTERY even to their own leaders!

2 Cor.11
[3] But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Eccl,

So what you are saying is that the Holy Spirit is just another spirit of no primary significance.
Eccl,

Also, ZealotX has set up a thread specifically addressing the Trinity in further detail of which I will respond accordingly.

Now, would you care to respond to the questions posted on this thread or is it your intent to continue your debate on the trinity?
or that the concept of 3 is from a much older source- as in ancient Babylon

That is the reason Yah's spirit was divided off into another "person".
It's not what I'm saying, it's what God's word says. And what the bible says about spirits is very simple. Let's read;

First let's read what God's word says angels are;

Heb.1
[7] And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

So Angels are spirits made by God. ALL angels are spirits made by God. Now let's read what an ANGEL did in the OT and what he was called;

Exod.23
[20] Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.
[21] Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.

Notice God gives this angel the same authority as He has as far as punishment. God even goes on to tell the people that HIS name is in him.

[22] But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries.
[23] For mine Angel shall go before thee, and bring thee in unto the Amorites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites: and I will cut them off.

Now let's confirm this;

Isa.63
[8] For he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Saviour.
[9] In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

So it was an "angel" that saved the nation in the wilderness. Let's read more. Let's read what this angel was called;

[10] But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.

So it again was the angel of the Lord, which as we know was made a spirit that fought against the people. Here's more;

[11] Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit within him?
[12] That led them by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name?
[13] That led them through the deep, as an horse in the wilderness, that they should not stumble?

Above the same angel is called "his holy Spirit"!

This is just one example of an angel representing God. There are even verses where an angel says, "...I will never break my covenant with you..." Now we know God is the only one that made a covenant with Israel, but as we read above, God gives angels authority to act on His behalf.

If you really want to know how the Father (God), His son (God), the Holy Angels (Spirits) and ALL of us are one, read John 17.

There you will find just how Jesus says we are all one.

And as you will read, is is not some "Mystery" doctrine that took over 400 years of meetings, just to end up with something NO ONE can explain! Not to mention, a concept that has been around since the kingdom of Babylon.

I pray this helps someone reading this thread!

Think about this, if the holy Spirit is the SAME and is one with the Father and the Son please explain the following;

Luke.12
[10] And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

If they are ONE, how can you blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not the Father or Son?

Mark.13
[32] But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

If they are ONE, how can the Father know the time and the hour, but NOT the Holy Spirit or the Son?

John.5
[22] For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

If they are ONE, how can the Son judge WITHOUT the Father and the Holy Ghost?

Does not make sense!

Eccl,

Please be kind enough to stick to the topic of this thread.

Can anyone describe or explain the . . . .

1. Attributes of the Holy Spirit
2. Purpose of the Holy Spirit
3. Being Filled with the Holy Spirit
4. Manifestation of the Holy Spirit
Excellent posts Min. Warren.

So, far you are the second person who actually responded to the thread, and with biblical sound doctrine.

By the way, I did receive the book I ordered, Stay In Your Lane and was very much surprised to receive the gift of a second book, The Ecclesia. Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you. I shall enjoy reading them next week while I am on vacation.
Here are some attributes of God's Holy Spirit;

Num.22
[35] And the angel of the LORD said unto Balaam, Go with the men: but only the word that I shall speak unto thee, that thou shalt speak. So Balaam went with the princes of Balak.

Now let’s read who Balaam said gave him the words to speak;

[38] And Balaam said unto Balak, Lo, I am come unto thee: have I now any power at all to say any thing? the word that God putteth in my mouth, that shall I speak.

Even though the angel of the Lord gave Balaam the words to say, Balaam said it was the Lord that put the words in his mouth.

Next;

Judg.2
[1] And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.

Again, the angel, 'Holy Spirit' is talking as though he was the one that made the covenant, though we know it was really the Lord, the angel still spoke as if it were he that made the agreement with the nation of Israel.

When reading God's word you will find many places where the angel of the Lord speaks and works as though he is the Lord. You will find throughout the scriptures many times when the Lord gives His "Holy Spirits" the same power and authority as Himself.

Here is another;

Exod.3
[2] And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
[4] And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.
[5] And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.
[6] Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

So the angel spoke as if he were the Lord. Now let's confirm this;

Acts 7
[35] This Moses whom they refused, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge? the same did God send to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the angel which appeared to him in the bush.
[38] This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

Now here is something that is stated one way, but is later confirmed in 2 other places;

Exod.13
[18] But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea: and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt.

Now let's read this same event told later;

Isa.63
[9] In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

Again we find God's "Holy Spirit", 'the angel of his presence' at work.

[10] But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.

Let's read what else the angle did while working with the authority of God;

[11] Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit within him?
[12] That led them by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name?
[13] That led them through the deep, as an horse in the wilderness, that they should not stumble?

So the period of time being spoken of here is when the Angel of the Lord, a HOLY SPIRIT, looked over and protected the nation of Israel while they were in the wilderness.

Now let's go back to Exod. to confirm this even further;

Exod.23
[20] Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.

So who was it really that protected Israel? God's "Holy Spirit", an Holy Angel! Let's continue;

[21] Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.

So this "Holy Angel" had the authority of God to punish as he saw fit.

[22] But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries.
[23] For mine Angel shall go before thee, and bring thee in unto the Amorites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites: and I will cut them off.

And he had the authority to reward as he saw fit.

So now we see that the Holy Spirit spoken of in Isa. was actually one of God's Holy Angels.

So it was God's "Holy Spirit" that they transgressed against.

These are just a few examples found throughout God's Holy word.

So now when you read the following;

Acts 5:3-4
V.3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back [part] of the price of the land?
V.4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Based upon researching and studing God's word, God's Holy Spirit spoken of here was just that; a Holy Angel speaking, rewarding AND punishing with all of the authority of God.

Just as God gave His "Holy Spirit" authority in the past, even to say, "my name is in him", He did the samething here with Peter.

So what are some of the attributes of God's Holy Spirit?

It is an Angel, that is at times called God!

It is an Angel that God sometimes gives His name to!

It is as Angel that punishes AND rewards!

It is an Angel that is sometimes given authority by God!

God's Holy Spirits are,

Heb.1
[7] And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
[14] Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service