People would wonder "What is preaching?". Yes, there is a difference between preaching and teaching. To teach means to explain the word. To preach means to proclaim the word. Also, preaching and teaching can go together. You can preach while you teach and you can teach while you preach. Understand that Jesus has preached and taught.

I'm writing the note to clear up misconceptions about preaching. Sadly, church people, especially some African-Americans, would think that preaching is about whooping and hollering, and tuning up. I'm not against whooping and hollering preaching, but if it's the only thing that a preacher does and people don't understand, well he or she is out of line. Most of the times, people expect shouting messages all the time and complain when it comes to the preaching not doing whooping and hollering. Sadly, they leave church the same way they came in and not knowing the word of God. So that's why you need to sit down and listen to what the Lord has to say through His vessel. Take notes while you're at it and it's only to throw some amens as long as you understand what is said. Also, people would expect the organist to back the preacher up while he preaches. I'm not against organists backing up a preacher for I have preached with an organist backing me up in some occasions myself. But backups by organists can be used to hype people up.

Sadly, there are preachers who try to be the next Jamal Bryant, T.D. Jakes, Eddie Long, Rod Parsley, Paula White, E. Dewey Smith, Sheryl Brady, Susie Owens, Dorinda Clark-Cole, etc. God is not looking for you to be the next so and so, He's looking for trendsetters like you!!! It's important to be preacher that God has made you. Instead of trying to be like the preachers that you see on TBN and other Christian channels, be the preacher that God designed you for He is a magnificent artist. It's important to get yourself into the prayer closet and the threshing floor so that you can have a strong anointing. Pray and study the word of God. Don't try to be someone that you're not to please those church folks who expect preachers to whoop in their messages. Just be yourself and preach with simplicity. It's good to preach messages with the notes and without notes. I'm not ashamed to say that I preach with notes myself. Remember, be what God created you to be and don't die a carbon copy.

Please bring in your insights and input..

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you Min. Sudler there is a BIG different between preaching and teaching.
The whole whopping it up witht the organ playing to back u up is okay for some but I am more of a teacher.
We really need more teaching of the Word in our churches for clearlity and without reservations. The time is now to teach more and bringing the Word alive.
Preaching is for reaching lost souls who really don't know the God or why Jesus is our Savior and then we can teach them as we reach them.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service