I want to note that I will be using a different bible than what most fellow Christians use. I will be quoting and using the Septuagint---The Greek Old Testament, along with the New Testament. I may quote scripture in Greek, but I will be sure to explain in detail so that the true meaning can come through. May the Lord Jesus bless and touch all who read this paper on the subject at hand, and may HIS truth prevail.

It is interesting to note that the book of Genesis starts off with the famous phrase,"In the beginning, God made the heavens and the earth." But do you see anything that gives detailed background of him? Not exactly, but what does that blessed phrase really mean? The word it brings out, and how God our Father is bought out to us is that he is the 'creator' of all things. I want to, as bishop states for us to do, is to explore the subject of who is God, what is his purpose, and what is our responsibility towards him. I want to also consider the importance of Jesus, and both his pre & post incarnate existence.

The question of “Who is God?" has been asked all throughout the ages. Everyone wants to know who God is, and where does he come from. Moses asked God some very profound questions that will shed great light on who God is in Exodus 3:12-14 - And Moses said to God,”behold, I shall go forth to the children of Israel, and shall say to them,’The God of our fathers has sent me to you’; and they will ask me,’What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?” And God spoke to Moses saying,”I am THE BEING.” And he said,” Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, THE BEING has sent me to you.” It is worth noting that If God is "THE BEING", then God is always "present" hence, in the Hebrew Old Testament which says,"I AM."

THE BEING has sent Moses to the children of Israel, proclaiming the salvation of his people. But why would God tell them “THE BEING”. I believe God wanted to convey to them that He is the eternal one, and that there is no one else like him, for he is THE BEING. Psalm 90:2 - Before the mountains existed, and before the earth and the word were formed, even from everlasting to everlasting, you are God. God is an eternal being that has no background as would a human have. Human background is another human backgrounds “source of existence” within the human race. If God is “from everlasting” and then he goes to everlasting, then God has no source before himself, for HE IS the source.

God is the source of all things. In acts 17, Paul said,” In him we live and move and have our being.” God is our source, and we are his creation. God is a living God, because we are his offspring. God is to be worshiped as living, and not as silver, gold or bronze images who have no life in themselves.

Many religions have different titles and names for God because of the character of their God. Some call him the one, the great spirit, the holy one, ruler, man, etc. In Christianity, we call him the Father, for he is a personal God that loves his children, and takes care of his own children. In many religions, such as Islam & Hinduism, God is an impersonal God— the inability to be involved intimately with his own creation. Jeremiah 23:23 states - I am a God at hand, says the Lord, and not a God afar off. God is a God who is near to his creation. Acts 17:27 states - that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way towards him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us. This is the kind of God we serve, and this is one of the major highlights of who God is; he is the one that is close to us, and he wants to lavish his love on his children. Praises and hallelujahs be to our God, and our Father.

To understand Gods purpose for being here without including his creation would be moot to explain. Without creation in existence, we would not know or understand why God exist. But by him creating, we can know why he is here. To reiterate what I stated before,” In the beginning, God made the heavens and the earth.” And then if you read further in Genesis, it will say that what he created was “good”. God was pleased to see what he has created. The bible also states that it was in his plan to do all this for his “own purposes”. Even in that, we are still limited to know why God created. Its not like God needs humans or creatures to worship him. God is in need of nothing. But his real purposes for creating us will always be a mystery to us. Since God is holy, he has good, holy reason. The bible is so right when it says his ways and thoughts are higher than ours.

Now that God has created his people in the garden, and that all things were created good, his purpose there was to see man dominate the earth. Genesis 1:26 states - And God said,” Let us make man according to our image and likeness, and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the sky, and over the cattle and all the earth, and over all the reptiles that move upon the earth. Gods first purpose for man was to have dominion over all things on earth. Then God blessed man and told them to increase, multiply, fill the earth and subdue it.

God, who made all things good in the beginning, wanted his new creation to produce everything that was good, always and forever. But that changed when sin entered the world. Sin bought death and sorrow, and then God had to promise that his son Jesus will come and redeem his people. Gods purpose now is to preserve his children, and to help us stay away from sin so that we can be formed into the likeness of his son. Romans 8:23-24 states - For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only in the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for the adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. ALL of creation waits to hear the voice of God say,”I am making all things new. Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.” (Rev 21)

Our responsibility toward God is a serious one. We must start off with the commandments that God gave to his people. The first commandment that God told Moses was,”You shall have no other gods beside me.” This is a very profound commandment. In order for Israel to be his people, God Almighty must be the only God in their life, and there are none beside him. Our first responsibility to God is to make him FIRST over all things. Jesus said - God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth. (John 4:24)

Having God first in our lives carries much meaning. One meaning that stands above all is the fear of the Lord. This is not the kind of fear that makes us run from him, but the fear of reverence and respect. Psalm 25:14 states - The Lord is the strength of them that fear him, and his covenant is to manifest truth to them.Psalm 147:11 states - But the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, and in all that hope in his mercy.. Proverbs 1:7 states - The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; and there is good understanding to all that practice it: and godliness toward God is the beginning of discernment, but the ungodly will nullify wisdom and instruction. When we fear God, our lives open up for the better, and all areas of our lives will be blessed. Having him first, and fearing him is the sole responsibility for all humans to do. When we make God first, and fear him, our love automatically falls in place towards him, and those who love God, God loves them.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God is truly Lord of lords, and God of gods
hi

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service