There is a doctrine floating around that has been active for over 200 years. It is called Once saved always saved aka OSAS. OSAS is when a believer gets saved, they are saved forever. But is this true?

Do you not know that OSAS rules out repentance? How so? Because If I am OSAS, and my past, present, future sins are forgiven, then there is no need to repent of the sins that I will commit. But this aint true.

The Greek word for repent means to turn from the sins you did, and turn from your present sins.

There is a scripture in John 6 that OSAS'ers love to use to prove that you are saved and always saved. Jesus said in John 6:39 - And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.

Notice the phrase," That I should lose nothing". AHH yes, you see. We cant give up salvation!, but low and behold.. this is not what that phrase means in the Greek. The Greek phrase is "Apollumi me". This is a subjunctive phrase. When something is subjunctive, that means it shows uncertainty, and the possibility that it may or may not happen.

In other words.. it is possible for a believer to forfeit their salvation. Another truth is that it is very unlikely that it will happen If you are deeply rooted in Jesus. Jesus, and the apostles tell us to "continue in the faith." If forfeiting salvation was not possible, then I dont think Jesus and the apostles would exhort us to endure to the end, continue in the faith, or fight the good fight, because in the end, we will endure anyways . Let my people think!! Will you think? Get rid of all biases which I know you already have done that.

Another proof of forfeiting salvation is in Hebrews 6, where they tasted, partook of Gods things, but then they fell away, and in this type of falling away(The kind that has your heart completly turned away from God, never to come back), you cannot be bought back to repentance, thus being lost with no hope of salvation.

Someone may say,"If OSAS is not true, then we have a works salvation." Well I believe this would have it backwards. We do not have a works salvation on our entrance into it, but we do work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. We must abide in the faith, we must obey his commands. You know that is true.

All of these are works, and you will admit that they are works. They are our works, and God does not do these for us. This is what we call the santification process, which is on our part, and God gives us the power to do it. What would you do with that power?

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God's word is soo good
Hello
LBusby,

I know exactly who Hebrews was written to, and it was not former Jews, but Jews who came to faith in Messiah.One of the purposes of Hebrewas was to show them that Messiah was the perfect sacrifice once and for all(Hebrews 10). Hebrews 3:13 tells these Hebrew believers to encourage one another daily so that they will not be hardened at heart by sin's deceifulness.

Hebrews 6:4-6 - For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

In Hebrews 6, which the context is referring to Hebrew Christians, is talking about falling away from the faith. The words enlighted, tasted, and shared, in the Greek, reveals that these people were genuine converts to the faith. It goes on to state that if they fall away, they cannot be brought back to repentance.

Notice the faith "to restore them again to repentance". Your logic reveals that Hebrews 6 says they were not saved in the first place. Well, True logic, and common sense would say that how can you be brought back to something you was NEVER apart of lol? It says they cannot be restored to repentance again, which reveals that they were once repentant of their sins, and living the life in Christ, hence when it said that they shared, tasted, and was enlightened by God----true conversion.

1 John, where it says they left us because they were not of us is not talking about salvation, but of true apostleship. 1 John was written because the doctrine of Gnosticism was infecting Christians at the time. There were false Apostles, and THEY were the ones who left because they were really not true ones. Jesus himself said there will be those who try to sneak into God's kingdom, but guess what, these ones that left did not go through Jesus.

The truth still stands that true, repentant believers in Jesus can have their hearts so hardened(Hebrews 3:13), that they will never be restored to repentance.
Eternal life means forever, but obviously, as I stated above, scripture proves that you lose that eternal life, for it is a gift from God, by falling away, and going back to a life of sin forever.

Take heed to Prophet Ezekiel. This is what he says:

Ezekiel 18:21-24 - “But if a wicked person turns away from all his sins that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. None of the transgressions that he has committed shall be remembered against him; for the righteousness that he has done he shall live. Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? but when a righteous person turns away from his righteousness and does injustice and does the same abominations that the wicked person does, shall he live? None of the righteous deeds that he has done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which he is guilty and the sin he has committed, for them he shall die.

When you REMAIN in the Lord Jesus---keeping his commandments, THEN the Father will love you, and so will Jesus, you will retain the gift of eternal life. When you do what the righteous man did in Ezekiel 18, and you die in your sins, then you are just as good as dead, bound to eternal destruction. Oh, how OSAS is such a false doctrine.
Funny...but true. Let's just continue to do willful sin...over and over and over again. Many will teach of the Love and Forgiveness...but many forget that you cannot teach of the love without including the wrath.

And that is were the problem arrives! I like Brother Busby believe that salvation is eternal, and can not be lost, forfeited, giving up, walked away from, or what ever acranim you can give to it. But your implication that what is being said is "confess Christ and your good", and you can continue with your life as is. And that's not what is being said.

I believe (I'll speak for myself although I must confess that everything LBusby has stated thus far I am in agreement with) that your salvation is ETERNAL, and that when you are saved, you are sealed forever! Now as to your statement that you can continue willfully in sin is silly and against what the word of God says. No, we shall not CONTINUE IN SIN, we are no longer sins slave we are now counted righteous in the sight of God. Just like in Exodous when the death angel saw the blood on the door post he PASSED over the house. When God sees a repented sinner (As all of us once were) what does he see? Your sins covered in the blood of the LAMB!

But you telling somebody that if you do something wrong (committ A sin, singular) you will give up your salvation is putting a different yoke on people than the one we put on when we trust in Jesus.

Matt. 11:28-30- 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Exactly! "You shall know a tree by its fruit"
Rev. Luckett, I'm curior to know your position on this matter you dont have to post it here if you dont want to, you can send it through other channels but I'm curious to here from you.
Bless you and Thank you for your response!
Ezekiel 18:21-24
Ah, now we are doing scripture battles. I shall refrain from doing that. Scriptur battle usually stems from a party's lack of understanding, and connecting the scriptures. I am in agreement that God is able to keep us from falling, but guess what? God gave us a standard of holiness to stay away from falling, and that is Torah.

The truth is that if you do not want to be kept, and turn your heart from the Lord, you will plunge into a life of sin, with no regard to God's law. When you keep God's commandments, then God will truly be able to keep you, because you are walking in holiness.

1 John 5:3 - For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
lol he is bro.
Brother, you might want to take heed to your own words.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service