1st Corinthians 1:10-17(New King James Version)-Now I plead with you brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and be in same judgement. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe's household, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul", or "I am of Apollos", or "I am of Cephas", or "I am of Christ". Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the Cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

This scripture passage is very important to you Christians because it deals with doctrinal and denominational arguments that divides the Body of Christ. People in the Body of Christ would argue over controversial subjects including speaking in tongues and other spiritual gifts, modes of baptism(sprinkling, pouring, and immersion), whether to baptize people in Jesus name only or in the name of the Trinity(Father, Son, and Holy Ghost), women preachers, women wearing pants and makeup, eating pork and dietary laws, jewelry, head coverings, Baptist ministers becoming bishops, the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and King James Only controversy. It's time for us Christians to stop arguing over small stuff and start being in common ground.

Also, it's sad how people would say that they're indentified with a denomination instead of Jesus. We have denominational labels including Apostolic, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Pentecostal, Bapticostal, Seventh-Day Adventist, Lutheran, Charismatic, and Word of Faith. I want to warn you that belonging to a denomination doesn't save you. Yes, you can belong to a denomination and end up in hell if you don't repent of your sins and accept Jesus as your savior. Only Jesus Christ saves you. John 14:6 says that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and no man can come to the Father except through him. Jesus is more important than denominations.

Galatians 3:28 states that whether we're greek or jew, slave or free, male or female, for all of us Christians are one in Christ Jesus. This scripture talks about common ground and unity among Christians. We need to stop the competition and realize that we Christians are brothers and sisters in Christ regardless of race, gender, economic status, nationality, and denomination. I remember when I was watching Praise-A-Thon on TBN, Rod Parsley talked about how the Baptist-affiliated television ministry decided to interview him on the Center for Moral Clarity and political issues affecting Christians, but the television ministry reconsidered because they feared that Pastor Parsley will speak in tongues. I'm thinking what kind of stupidity is this when Christians be in competition with and hate on other Christians because of doctrinal differences.

I did not post this message to diss any denomination. I posted this message to make a point about how the overemphasis of denominational and doctrinal differences that divide of body of Christ. Denomination is a demon when you emphasize too much on your church or denominational affiliation and lose your focus on Jesus. Denomination is an idol when you put it above the Lord. Remember that the Lord is a jealous God and he don't want any man and thing to be before him. If you argue over denominational and doctrinal differences, you're causing the unsaved to be scared away from Jesus because you're making Jesus look bad in front of people. You just lost a soul if you argue.

What's amazing is that there are some denominational churches that went beyond denominational boundries. For example, there are people from the mainline denominational churches who went through a Pentecostal experience(Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of Speaking in Tongues) and there are some Baptist pastors, including Eddie L. Long and David G. Evans, who became bishops. Also, Dr. Ron Phillips, who pastors Central Baptist Church in Hixson, TN, had people baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of Speaking in Tongues despite the Southern Baptist Convention's rule that forbid its members from speaking in tongues. Remember that Pentecost is not a denomination, it's an experience that every Born-Again believer, regardless of denomination, should go through. Also, Holiness is lifestyle that every Christian must live, not a denomination.

Our main objective as Christians is to evangelize, live in holiness, and lift up the name of Jesus. So stop having endless denominational and doctrinal disputes and start being in unity remembering that there is One Lord, One Faith, and One Baptism. Yes, we can have disagreements over our doctrinal differences, but we need to learn to agree to disagree. As long as you had accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior and believe that the Bible is the infallable word of God, remember that your my brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus no matter what Church or denomination you belong to. What we believe, which is our theologies, makes us different, but whom we believe, which is Jesus our lord and savior, makes us the same. Before you thinking about arguing over differences, think about the people who don't know Jesus as their lord and savior because we don't want Jesus to look bad in front of people.

Three words for you: CUT THE MALARKEY!!!!!!

I hope this message is a blessing and a help to you, and feel free to send me comments and copy and repost this message on your bulletins and blogs.

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can give you one word for denominations and for different bibles for that matter. Satan! He is the author of confusion and we as humans are weak.
This is why a personnal relationship with God is necessary! But honestly who comes together in the name of a denomination, or non-denomination. What is needed is being provided, if any one posseses the Holy Spirit they belong too God. The book of Revelation, speaks of several Churches in Seven different places, all had a problem, and all who overcame were given a promise. So to agree too disagree, still leaves the schism in the Body. No-matter the denomination, place, or the person, let God be glorified, and simple matters won't be the topic of the day.

We as followers of Christ must start to be about kingdom building, having/giving testimonies. It's simple man, let's go about doing not just telling, too many people are suffering and dying without hope. We must start too do this.
I have friends who are of other denominations than myself, yet we never even discuss those matters for they are insignificant.
This is so true Brother West. The seven churches had lost their first love (defending the Word instead of spreading the Word), false doctrines, false prophets, persecutions and on but just like Philadelphia just preach and teach and let God take care of the rest.
Thank you for your input, sir. It's sad that there are Christians who identify themselves with a particular denominations more than God. In heaven, there's no baptist section, methodist section, COGIc section, etc. There's only one heaven with souls that are saved. We must be like the first century church who preaches Christ and Him crucified, not their denominations.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service