And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his venison; but Rebecca loved Jacob.
— Genesis 25:28

My maternal grandmother used to call my uncle Edward her “favorite” child. It was years after her death that I learned that this favoritism was in response to an estrangement between him and his father. While my grandfather was stern with all of his children, Edward seemed to engender a disproportionate amount of his irritation. According to family lore, there was nothing concrete Uncle Ed did to earn his incessant criticism: for reasons that eluded everyone, my grandfather simply disliked the boy.

My grandmother could not compel her husband to be more loving to his son, so she compensated by championing him. She coddled Ed to blunt the sting of his father's disapprobation. She trumpeted his talents and achievements. She gave the impression to the whole family that Ed was dearer to her than her own husband. Naturally, her favoritism of the boy became a point of contention with my grandfather (not to mention a cause of envy on the part of her other children). It seems to have caused more problems than it solved.

I recall this dynamic in my own family when I read of Isaac and Rebecca’s tug-of-war over their two boys. That story is, I think, a biblical example of favoritism employed to redress a father's neglect. Isaac is said to have favored Esau because he was a skilled hunter, and the father enjoyed eating of the son's game. Notice, however, how verse 27 does not similarly state a reason for Rebecca's favoring Jacob. It is as if Rebecca has no motive other than to couterbalance the favoritism of Isaac. Now, I wouldn't fault Isaac for having a preference for a venison steak--Esau's specialty--over the vegetable soup that made Jacob famous. It is sad, however, that predilection for meat was allowed to wreak such domestic turmoil. Isaac took Esau to his heart, Rebecca took Jacob to hers, and a major schism developed in the family. In time, husband and wife were working against each other: Isaac planned to clandestinely bless Esau; Rebecca, overhearing their conversation, plotted to deceive Isaac on Jacob's behalf. Protecting the interests of their respective favorite sons severely undermined their marriage. It also severed the family bonds, as Jacob's betrayal began a blood feud between the brothers (Gen. 27:41) and precipitated a twenty-year separation.

Although as parents, my wife and I do not always agree in the myriad of decisions regarding our son, we are conscious of how important it is to present a united front before him. The cautionary tale of my grandparents allowing a child to become a wedge--splitting in twain what God purposed to be one flesh--resonates with us. And we long ago realized that our boy has an Adamic nature that may even attempt to pit us against each other (for example, when one of us refuses him some desire, and he secretly takes up the case with the other). We have learned it is wise to put our heads together before making any promises.

Alliances with our kids in disregard or defiance of our spouses are ruinous. Ultimately, our children will suffer because of the insecurity that results from a divided home.

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe this is a great thing for parents to bond together and unite against anyone.  Children will often do this when they see division between the two.  Even tho they may not argue in front of the child, that child can always sense tension when the parents are at a harsh disagreement with each other.  And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12.  When the two are formed together as God says, that bond is hard to be broken.  Regardless of who tries...

Great post.

(Coach handbags) is a British national treasure brand,coach factory outlet by then only 21 years old British boy dfhd Lee (Thomas Burberry) single-handedly created.coach factory outlet 100 years, (Coach handbags) has become one of the Coach Tote Bag most representative of the British temperament of the brand.coach online store Coach Wallet (Coach handbags) early only outdoor and military clothing,coach factory online store 1880,coach factory store dfh Lee (Thomas Burberry) invented a waterproof and breathable cloth "Gabardine", and in 1888 patent,cheap coach purses for the then British officers design and manufacture raincoats,coach outlet online King Edward VII was later ordered to (Coach handbags) This patent raincoat as a British military uniforms. And in 1911,coach factory online Burberry / Burberry (Coach handbags) again with the first to conquer the Antarctic traveler Ronald Amunden provides travel clothing and famous world. Coach Authorized Outlets - Another fantastic place to look for deals is at site that acts as outlets for Coach. These bags will be authentic, in brand new or nearly new condition,cheap coach and will usually be offered at steep discounts.coach purses outlet Perhaps a certain style is being discontinued and they want to get rid of inventory, or perhaps the bag had a minor flaw, either way, you can pick up great deals by doing a Google search using the term COACH AUTHORIZED OUTLETS. No matter which route you choose, beware of knockoffs.coach handbags outlet Because of the popularity and value of Coach bags,coach outlet stores many folks have tried to duplicate them and sell their knockoffs at Coach Prices.coach factory outlet online The quality cannot be duplicated by these crooks,coach factory online but you may not be able to tell the difference until you get the bag in hand.coach purses for sale Take your time,coach for sale and look around though and I am certain you will find a quality Coach Handbag at a steep discount.

He analysis Nike Mercurial Vapor Superfly is, of course, the heart and soul of Adidas company. Seems that Adidas is the biggest champion, however, Nike Football Cleats Germany just got third Nike Soccer Cleats. Nicklas Bendtner- Nike mercurial vapor superfly Denmark.-Adidas Adizero Adidas Nike Mercurial Vapors launched the Adidas F50 adiZero TRX FG cheap soccer cleats soccer shoes for the FIFA soccer World Cup 2010.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service