When seeing and attending the confirmation services of Bishops by an organization, I am seeing women who are being ordained as Bishops.  I have read and studied the office of Bishop and have not understood nor found any of the ceremonial ordinations of women as Bishops, nor in God's Word have I found anything on women as Bishops.

1 Timothy 3 is the specific chapter speaking on the Office and Qualifications of the Bishop.  Is a Bishop also an Overseer or Superintendent or Elder or Chief Elder? 

Now, the Word of God, KJV, states "...If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; one that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not as a novice [one newly come to the faith], lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil..."  1 Timothy 3:1-7

As the head of his household, he is to plan, protect, and provide for his household which includes stewardship as he "ruleth well his own house..." (Titus 1:7).  We are to follow the Shepherd and Bishop of our souls, Jesus Christ (1 Peter 2:25).

This scripture, literally, is speaking of a man.  Any thoughts?

Views: 973

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ephesians 5:23, "For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body."  We do not see any biblical proof that God intended for women to be pastors let alone occupy the office of Bishop. 

Did God intend for a Bishop to be a single or divorced man?   The scripture says, "...the husband of one wife..    1 Peter 3:7, Is the woman the weaker vessel?  I guess this is where grace kicks in. 

Thanks Pitbull...

Greetings Sister, I commend you on your loyalty to God's word and willingness to point this out.

My viewpoint for whats it's worth is this. First God is all knowing and is never wrong. Secondly what he says is right and cannot be adjusted and thirdly most who want the title will always try to explain what is stated and overlook what is obvious and plain.

My point, which is not as good as God's but to let you know I'm human. If there's no example, parable or principle in the bible for women bishops then we should leave it alone. My advice to any woman of God would be, you don't need a title to shake your city or build a global ministry, If you have God's word go with what you have because what he gave you is all you need. The title dont make you a better leader or more anointed. In fact it robs God of his glory because self wants promotion, status and office and the respect of man.

The same for any man, let others label you!  Titles dont impress the pagans, in fact using a title in the world puts up a wall, between the seeker and the exalted one. My message must be bigger than my title I want to be known by what I say not by what my title says about me.

Jesus done his earthly ministry without a title, if we claim to be like him lets get rid of ours too! and oh yes the gifts and title's are from God, sure but we're not in ministry because of that are we?

My Sister thanks for making a stand! I respect you for that.

Paul.

Thank you Paul for your wisdom.  I agree that our message should be louder and bigger than our titles.  When titles are 'confirmed/affirmed' by those that recognize the qualifications that God has put in us from the foundation of the world, we should be consulting God's Word about it.  Everything, and I do mean everything, that I need to do God's purpose for His Kingdom on earth is already in me.  I just need to step in the alignment...

Thanks again Paul for your response...

Thank you for explaining with scripture (Galatians 3:28).  So now my question is, are we to study the history of the scriptures before we understand the "now" Word for us?  How do we separate the Word of God for what was then and what is for us now?  When we compare the "shadows" of the Old Testament to the New Testament, what is the 'rule' for knowing the truth for today (as we study the Scriptures)?  Help me out.  I'm still learning...
Even though the words “servant(s)”, “slavery” and “master(s)” are used, did this really mean the true slavery as we know it in the United States - is this what Paul was talking about?  Was he talking about the enslavement of the Jews during what we know as the Holacaust?  What about “serving” the Lord, and being worshippers of God (Heb., ebed), being a Levite, or a prophet serving in the office of Psalmist or speaking God’s Word.  I see from my studies that the indications of what we as men, can create whatever we want to convince others of our belief.  However, what the Holy Ghost does is give TRUTH – nothing more and nothing less.  We can read about what the previous authors of commentaries and even those who have written history – we read what they have had to say about the things written in The Holy Bible.  Who do we rely on to get the TRUTH? 

Yes it does. All one needs to do is read Roman History this is a good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Rome

Sister Lovitah,

Matthew 7:12, "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."  I have stated before that slavery and bondage is a direct result and consequence of sin.  The children of Israel (God) continuously found themselves in bondage as a direct consequence and result of their disobedience to the will of God.

Slavery still exists today as a result of people who are incarcerated and are disobedient to the will of God.  I do not believe that God intended for people to be enslaved by other people.  People today are also enslaved by lifestyles, habits and addictions that keep them in bondage.  Jesus came to set people free.  I believe that this is a major premise contained within scriptures.

Amos 5:27, " Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith the LORD, whose name [is] The God of hosts."  Is the prophet going to speak against what God has ordered, and what man has brought upon themselves as a consequence and result of their own actions? 

Many people are enslaved today at their place of employment.  They have no secular education and have to work for minimum wage.  They do not own and possess the land.  They work for other men who will become wealthy and rich at the expense of others.  I believe that Jesus came to set us free.  Once we line up with the plan of God we will be free from everything that keeps us bound up.  God will break barriers and limitations and set people free from the consquences and effects of sin.

There are many people bound in hell right now.  Let me tell God to set them free?

Exodus 8:1, "And the LORD spake unto Moses, Go unto Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Let my people go, that they may serve me."  You have some coock saying that scriptures are not against slavery.  Go figure.  That's what man's training of the word of God will get you without the Holy Spirit.  Philosophickle!
Also,

The Christian church's main justification of the concept of slavery was based on the "curse of Ham" which appears in the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) in Genesis 9:25-27:

"Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem'."

Christians at the time believed that Canaan had settled in Africa and that his descendents had become black.

Although slavery was widespread in Palestine during Jesus' ministry, the Christian Scriptures (New Testament) does not record his opinion of it. Slavery was casually mentioned without criticism in the various books of the Bible. It was accepted as a natural part of life by almost all Christians -- and followers of other religions -- until the 19th century.

Anabaptists started to criticize slavery in the late 17th century. They were joined by Quakers and Mennonites. It was only when John Wesley (1703-1791), founder of the Methodist movement, became actively opposed to slavery that the small protest became a mass movement for the abolition of slavery.

Slavery is still advocated in North America by some Reconstructonist Christians and a few racist fringe groups within the Christian Identity movement.

Any ony that calls themself reconstuctonist Christian may not be Christain at all. The problem here that you have is their miss use of the word doulos this word means servant but is related to the Greek work from which slave is taken. Remember it was the Christian Church that lead the charge to end slavery in Europe and America.

Pastor Sweet,

I don't have any problems with miss use of words or any learning tools I have used or learned from. I am continuously learning about life and life more abundantly.  Your statement could have been an attack on someone else who is not as strong in the Lord as I have become. However, I cannot remember what I have not been taught.   There are several readers of your comments that are not as mature as you and when we put our 'feelings' in our comments we can not only send a wrong message of who we are in Christ, but also can turn them from Christ.

Also, it was the Christian Caucasian churches that started slavery in America as they interpreted the Bible in their own way.  When we as Africans, African Americans, Black folk, began to read for ourselves, we began to read and do what 'thus saith the Lord'.  We learned what the Lord was saying to the Gentiles.  We are grafted in and adopted into the Body of Christ by believing  and doing God's Word.

"The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."  Psalm 19:14 and,

"The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple." Psalm 119:130

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service