What does the bible teach concerning the God we serve? Is He One or Multiple persons(many)??
All the scriptures will be shared to help the individual reader about God. This room is not for Debate,We are here to share God's Word in Love and in Truth. Please Refrain from personal attacks. AGAIN THIS ROOM IS FOR SINCERE SEEKERS OF THE ONE TRUE GOD. We must maintain A right spirit,and behave like true Christians edifying in the Word of God and Loving One another. Thank you for your interest in in Learning the Bible . God Bless you.

"Hear, O Israel: the LORD our God is one LORD" (Deuteronomy 6:4).

"God is one" (Galatians 3:20).

There is one God. There is only one God. This doctrine is central to the Bible message, for both the Old Testament and the New Testament teach it plainly and emphatically. Despite the simplicity of this message and the clarity with which the Bible presents it, many who believe in the existence of God have not understood it. Even within Christendom many people, including theologians, have not comprehended this beautiful and essential message. Our purpose is to address this problem, and to affirm and explain the biblical doctrine of the oneness of God.

Monotheism Defined

The belief in only one God is called monotheism, which comes from two Greek words: monos, meaning alone, single, one; and theos, meaning God. Anyone who does not accept monotheism can be classified as one of the following: an atheist who denies the existence of God; an agnostic - one who asserts that the existence of God is unknown and probably unknowable; a pantheist - one who equates God with nature or the forces of the universe; or a polytheist - one who believes in more than one God. Ditheism, the belief in two gods, is a form of polytheism, and so is tritheism, the belief in three gods. Among the major religions of the world, three are monotheistic: Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.

Within the ranks of those labelling themselves Christian, however, there are several divergent views as to the nature of the Godhead. One view, called trinitarianism, asserts that there are three distinct persons in the Godhead - God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost - but yet one God.

Within the ranks of trinitarianism, one can discern two extreme tendencies. On the one hand, some trinitarians emphasize the unity of God without having a carefully developed understanding of what is meant by three distinct persons in the Godhead. On the other hand, other trinitarians emphasize the threeness of the trinity to the point that they believe in three self-conscious beings, and their view is essentially tritheistic.

In addition to trinitarianism, there is the doctrine of binitarianism, which does not classify the Holy Ghost as a separate person but asserts belief in two persons in the Godhead.

Many monotheists have pointed out that both trinitarianism and binitarianism weaken the strict monotheism taught by the Bible. They insist that the Godhead cannot be divided into persons and that God is absolutely one.

These believers in strict monotheism fall into two classes. One class asserts that there is only one God, but does so by denying, in one way or another, the full deity of Jesus Christ. This view was represented in early church history by the dynamic monarchians, such as Paul of Samosata, and by the Arians, led by Arius. These groups relegated Jesus to the position of a created god, subordinate god, junior god, or demigod.

The second class of true monotheists believes in one God, but further believes that the fulness of the Godhead is manifested in Jesus Christ. They believe that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are manifestations, modes, offices, or relationships that the one God has displayed to man. Church historians have used the terms modalism and modalistic monarchianism to describe this view as held by such early church leaders as Noetus, Praxeas, and Sabellius. (See Chapter 10 - ONENESS BELIEVERS IN CHURCH HISTORY.) In the twentieth century, those who believe in both the indivisible oneness of God and the full deity of Jesus Christ frequently use the term Oneness to describe their belief. They also use the terms One God and Jesus Name as adjectives to label themselves, while opponents sometimes use the misleading or derogatory designations "Jesus Only" and "New Issue." (The label "Jesus Only" is misleading because to trinitarians it implies a denial of the Father and the Holy Spirit. However, Oneness believers do not deny the Father and Spirit, but rather see Father and Spirit as different roles of the One God who is the Spirit of Jesus.)

In summary, Christendom has produced four basic views of the Godhead: (1) trinitarianism, (2) binitarianism, (3) strict monotheism with a denial of the full deity of Jesus Christ, and (4) strict monotheism with an affirmation of the full deity of Jesus Christ, or Oneness.

Having surveyed the range of human beliefs about the Godhead, let us look at what the Word of God - the Bible - has to say on the subject.

The Old Testament Teaches That There Is But One God

The classic expression of the doctrine of one God is found in Deuteronomy 6:4. "Hear, O Israel: the LORD our God is one LORD." This verse of Scripture has become the most distinctive and important statement of faith for the Jews. They call it the Shema, after the first word of the phrase in Hebrew, and they often quote it in English as "Hear, O Israel, the LORD is our God, the LORD is one." (See also the NIV.) Traditionally, a devout Jew always tried to make this confession of faith just before death.

In Deuteronomy 6:5, God followed the announcement of the preceding verse with a command that requires total belief in and love for Him as the one and only God: "And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." We should notice the importance which God attaches to Deuteronomy 6:4-5. He commands that these verses be placed in the heart (verse 6), taught to the children throughout the day (verse 7), bound on the hand and forehead (verse 8), and written on the posts and gates of houses (verse 9).

Orthodox Jews literally obey these commands today by binding tefillin (phylacteries) on their left forearms and on their foreheads when they pray, and by placing mezuzzah on their doors and gates. (Teffilin are small boxes tied to the body by leather straps, and mezuzzah are scroll-shaped containers.) Inside both types of containers are verses of Scripture handwritten in black ink by a righteous man who has observed certain purification rituals. The verses of Scripture usually are Deuteronomy 6:4-9,11:18-21, Exodus 13:8-10, and 13:14-16.

During a trip to Jerusalem, where we gathered the above information, [1] we attempted to buy tefillin. The Orthodox Jewish merchant said he did not sell tefillin to Christians because they do not believe in and have the proper reverence for these verses of Scripture. When we quoted Deuteronomy 6:4 and explained our total adherence to it, his eyes lit up and he promised to sell to us on the condition that we would treat the tefillin with care and respect. His concern shows the extreme reverence and depth of belief the Jews have for the concept of one God. It also reveals that a major reason for the Jewish rejection of Christianity throughout history is the perceived distortion of the monotheistic message.

Many other Old Testament verses of Scripture emphatically affirm strict monotheism. The Ten Commandments begin with, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" (Exodus 20:3; Deuteronomy 5:7). God emphasized this command by stating that He is a jealous God (Exodus 20:5). In Deuteronomy 32:39, God said there is no other god with him. There is none like the LORD and there is no God beside Him (II Samuel 7:22; I Chronicles 17:20). He alone is God (Psalm 86:10). There are the emphatic declarations of God in Isaiah.

"Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour" (Isaiah 43:10-11).

"I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God" (Isaiah 44:6).

"Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any" (Isaiah 44:8).

"I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself" (Isaiah 44:24).

"There is none beside me. I am the LORD and there is none else" (Isaiah 45:6).

"There is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else" (Isaiah 45:21-22).

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me" (Isaiah 46:9).

"I will not give my glory unto another" (Isaiah 48:11; see also Isaiah 42:8).

"O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth" (Isaiah 37:16).

There is only one God, who is the Creator and Father of mankind (Malachi 2:10). In the time of the Millennial Reign, there shall be only one LORD with one name (Zechariah 14:9).

In short, the Old Testament speaks of God in terms of being one. Many times the Bible calls God the Holy One (Psalm 71:22; 78:41; Isaiah 1:4; 5:19; 5:24), but never the "holy two, the holy three," or the "holy many."

A common remark by some trinitarians about the Old Testament doctrine of the oneness of God is that God only intended to emphasize His oneness as opposed to pagan deities, but that He still existed as a plurality. However, if this conjecture were true, why did not God make it clear? Why have the Jews understood not a theology of "persons" but have insisted on an absolute monotheism? Let us look at it from God's point of view. Suppose He did want to exclude any belief in a plurality in the Godhead. How could He do so using then-existing terminology? What strong words could He use to get His message across to His people? When we think about it, we will realize that He used the strongest possible language available to describe absolute oneness. In the preceding verses of Scriptures in Isaiah, we note the use of words and phrases such as "none, none else, none like me, none beside me, alone, by myself," and "one." Surely, God could not make it plainer that no plurality whatsoever exists in the Godhead. In short, the Old Testament affirms that God is absolutely one in number.

The New Testament Teaches There Is But One God

Jesus emphatically taught Deuteronomy 6:4, calling it the first of all the commandments (Mark 12:29-30). The New Testament presupposes the Old Testament teaching of one God and explicitly repeats this message many times.

"Seeing it is one God which shall justify" (Romans 3:30).

"There is none other God but one" (I Corinthians 8:4).

"But to us there is but one God, the Father" (I Corinthians 8:6).

"But God is one" (Galatians 3:20).

"One God and Father of all" (Ephesians 4:6).

"For there is one God" (I Timothy 2:5).

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble" (James 2:19).

Again, the Bible calls God the Holy One (I John 2:20). There is one throne in heaven and One sits upon it (Revelation 4:2).

In subsequent articles we will explore New Testament monotheism in greater depth, but the above verses of Scripture are sufficient to establish that the New Testament teaches one God.

In this study you will find the whole Bible teaches a strict monotheism. God's people have always been identified with the one-God message. God chose Abraham because of his willingness to forsake the gods of his nation and his father and to worship the one true God (Genesis 12:1-8). God chastised Israel every time she began to worship other gods, and polytheistic worship was one of the main reasons that God finally sent her into captivity (Acts 7:43). The Savior came to the world through a nation (Israel) and through a religion (Judaism) in which the people had finally purged themselves of polytheism. They were thoroughly monotheistic.

Today, God still demands a monotheistic worship of Him. We in the church are heirs of Abraham by faith, and this exalted position demands that we have the same monotheistic faith in the God of Abraham (Romans 4:13-17). As Christians in the world we must never cease to exalt and declare the message that there is only one true and living God.

The Bible clearly teaches the doctrine of the oneness of God and the absolute deity of Jesus Christ. The early Christians believed this great truth, and many people have adhered to it throughout history. Although in the course of history trinitarianism became the predominant doctrine in Christendom, the Scriptures do not teach it. In fact, the Bible nowhere mentions or alludes to the word trinity, the phrase "three persons in one substance," or the phrase "three persons in one God." We can explain all the Scriptures in both testaments adequately without any need to resort to the doctrine of the trinity.

Trinitarianism contradicts and detracts from important biblical teachings. It detracts from the Bible's emphasis on God's absolute oneness, and it detracts from Jesus Christ's full deity. Trinitarian doctrine as it exists today did not develop fully and the majority of Christendom did not accept it fully until the fourth century after Christ.

Here are five specific ways in which the biblical doctrine of Christian monotheism differs from the presently existing doctrine of trinitarianism. (1) The Bible does not speak of an eternally existing "God the Son;" for the Son refers only to the Incarnation. (2) The phrase "three persons in one God" is inaccurate because there is no distinction of persons in God. If "persons" indicates a plurality of personalities, wills, minds, beings, or visible bodies, then it is incorrect because God is one being with one personality, will, and mind. He has one visible body - the glorified human body of Jesus Christ. (3) The term "three persons" is incorrect because there is no essential threeness about God. The only number relevant to God is one. He has many different roles, titles, manifestations, or attributes, and we cannot limit them to three. (4) Jesus is the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, for Jesus is the revealed name of God in the New Testament (John 5:43; Matthew 1:21; John 14:26). Therefore, we correctly administer water baptism using the name of Jesus (Acts 2:38). (5) Jesus is the incarnation of the fulness of God. He is the incarnation of the Father (the Word, the Spirit, Jehovah) not just the incarnation of a person called "God the Son."

What is the essence of the doctrine of God as taught by the Bible - the doctrine we have labelled Oneness? First, there is one indivisible God with no distinction of persons. Second, Jesus Christ is the fulness of the Godhead incarnate. He is God the Father - the Jehovah of the Old Testament - robed in flesh. All of God is in Jesus Christ, and we find all we need in Him. The only God we will ever see in heaven is Jesus Christ.

Having said all of this, why is a correct understanding of and belief in this doctrine so important? Here are four reasons. (1) It is important because the whole Bible teaches it and emphasizes it. (2) Jesus stressed how important it is for us to understand who He really is the Jehovah of the Old Testament: "If ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins" (John 8:24). The word he is in italics in the King James Version, which indicates it is not in the Greek but was added by the translators. So Jesus called Himself the "I AM," the name Jehovah used in Exodus 3:14-15. Jesus was saying, "If you believe not that I AM, you shall die in your sins." It is not mandatory that a person have a thorough comprehension of all questions relating to the Godhead to be saved, but he must believe that there is one God and that Jesus is God. (3) The Oneness message determines the formula for water baptism - in the name of Jesus (Acts 2:38). (4) Oneness teaches us how important the baptism of the Holy Ghost really is. Since there is only one Spirit of God, and since the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ, Oneness shows us that we receive Christ into our lives when we are filled or baptized with the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9).

Since the Bible so plainly teaches the oneness of God and the full deity of Jesus Christ, why is it obscure to many people, especially to those in Christendom? The answer is that it comes not merely through intellectual study but through divine illumination of the Scriptures. It comes through prayerful study, diligent searching, and intense desire for truth. When Peter made his great confession of the deity of Jesus, Jesus said, "Flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 16:16-17). Therefore, if we want to understand the mighty God in Christ we must put away man's doctrines, traditions, philosophies, and theories. In their place we must put the pure Word of God. We must ask God to reveal this great truth to us through His Word. We must seek after His Spirit to illuminate His Word and to guide us into all truth (John 14:26; 16:13). It is not enough to rely on church dogmas, for church dogmas are only valid if they are taught in Scripture. We must go back to the Bible itself, study it, and ask God to illuminate it by His Spirit.

Colossians 2:8,9

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power."

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Minister Busby, Let me re-clarify WE ARE NOT SAVED BY WATER BAPTISM? What does the bible say about this topic,NOT WHAT I SAY BUT The word of GOD> READ IT FOR YOUR SELF.
1 Peter 3:20-21 (King James Version)

20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Christian water baptism is an ordinance instituted by Jesus Christ! If it is not important in the plan of God, why did Jesus command it in Matthew 28:19? And why did Peter follow up by saying, "Be baptized every one of you," and by commanding the Gentiles to be baptized (Acts 2:38; 10:48)? We must remember two points about the importance of water baptism. First whatever Christ definitely established and ordained cannot be unimportant, whether we understand its significance or not. Second, Christ and the apostles showed the importance of this ordinance by observing it. Jesus walked may miles to be baptized, though he was without sin, saying, "For thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness" (See Matthew 3:13-16).

It is true that water itself does not contain any saving virtue, but God has chosen to include it in His plan of salvation. Peter explained, "Baptism doth also now save us (not putting away the of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (I Peter 3:21). According to Luke 7:30, "the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized."

The Mode of Baptism

According to the Scriptures, the proper mode of baptism is immersion. "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water" (Matthew 3:16). "And they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him' (Acts 8:38). "Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death" (Romans 6:4). A corpse is not buried by placing it on top of the ground and sprinkling a little soil on it, but by covering it completely.

According to the World Book Encyclopedia, "At first all baptism was by complete immersion" (vol. 1, p. 651). And the Catholic Encyclopedia states, "In the early centuries, all were baptized by immersion in streams, pools and baptisteries" (vol. 2, p. 263). Immersion was not convenient after the Catholic church instituted infant baptism; thus the mode was changed to sprinkling. (See Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th ed, vol. 3, pp. 365-66)

Repentance identifies us with the death of Christ, and baptism identifies us with His burial. Coming for from the watery grave of baptism and receiving new life in the Holy Spirit identifies us with His resurrection.
The Formula for Baptism

Jesus commanded His disciples to "teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." (Matthew 28:19). He did not commend them to use these words as a formula, but He commanded them to baptize in "the name". The word name is used here in the singular, and it is the focal point of the baptismal command. The titles father, Son, and Holy Ghost describe God's relationships to humanity and are not the supreme, saving name described here, which is Jesus. "Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

Jesus is the name in which the roles of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are revealed. The angel of the Lord instructed Joseph, "She shall bring forth a son and thou shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21). Jesus said, "I am come in my Father's name," and, "The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, . . . the Father will send in my name" (John 5:43; 14:26). Thus by baptizing in the name of Jesus, we honor the Godhead. "For in him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily" (Colossians 2:9). Luke 24:45-47 records that just before His ascension Jesus opened the disciples understanding. It was necessary that their understanding be opened, and many today need this same operation in order to understand the scriptures.

Then Jesus said to them, "Thus it is written, and it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day." The disciples had their understanding opened so that they could grasp the vast importance of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Verse 47 describes the commission that Jesus then gave: "And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations (Jews and Gentiles), beginning at Jerusalem."

Peter was one of that number to whom Jesus had spoken and whose understanding had been opened. After having listened to these instructions, a few days later he was inspired by the Holy Ghost to preach on the Day of Pentecost. The hearts of the hearers were pierced and feeling condemned, they cried out to Peter and the other apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" (Acts 2:37). Peter did not hesitate but boldly answered. "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall received the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38). "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized, and the same day they were added unto them about three thousand souls" (Acts 2:41).

Some say that Peter told them to be baptized in Jesus' name because they were Jews and this baptism was to make them acknowledge Jesus Christ. But let us go with Peter to the house of Cornelius several years later. Cornelius and his household were Gentiles, yet there again Peter "commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord" (Acts 10:48). (Most translations actually say, "In the name of Jesus Christ.") If Peter was wrong on the Day of Pentecost, he surely had ample time to be corrected before he went to the house of Cornelius. Was Peter wrong on the Day of Pentecost? When the hearers were pricked in their hearts, they spoke to Peter and the rest of the apostles (Acts 2:37). This included Matthew, who wrote Matthew 28:19. Moreover, when Peter preached, he stood up with the eleven (Acts 2:14).

Matthew was there, yet we find no words of correction from him. He surely would have spoken up if Peter had disobeyed the Lord. Bit all the apostles understood and carried out the Lord's commission. As Jesus said in a prayer, "I have manifested thy name unto the men (the apostles) which thou gavest me out of the world . . . and they have kept thy word" (John 17:6). The Samaritans, who were not Jews, were also baptized in the name of Jesus. "Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them . . . .But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. . . .They were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus" (Acts 8:5,12,16).

Let us see how Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, baptized. He went to Ephesus many years after the Day of Pentecost and found some disciples of John the Baptist there. "He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus" (Acts 19:2-5).

Although these disciples had already been baptized, the name of Jesus was so important as to cause them to be rebaptized in His name. We do not believe that Paul changed the formula or mode of baptism when he baptized Lydia and her household (Acts 16:14-15) or the Philippian jailer. The latter came trembling and fell down before Paul and Silas, saying, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And he took them the same hour of the night (shortly after midnight), and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway" (Acts 16:30-33).

How can we doubt that Paul baptized these people using the same mode and formula that he used elsewhere, that is, immersion in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ? Paul was not with the apostles when Jesus gave His final instructions to them in Matthew 28:19 and Luke 24:47, yet Paul baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. How did he know what to do? He said that his gospel was not a tradition of men but a revelation from God. "I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it from of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ" (Galatians 1:11-12). Paul was chosen to bear Jesus' name to the Gentiles, and he wrote many divinely inspired epistles to the church. To this apostle, God revealed the mystery of the church, "which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit" (Ephesians 3:5). Paul claimed to have divine authority: "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord" (I Corinthians 14:37). And Paul wrote, "Whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him" (Colossians 3:17). Water baptism is done both in word and deed.

We cannot afford to overlook this command to the church. The church is "built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone." (Ephesians 2:20). The apostles not only preached baptism in Jesus' name, but they practiced it. Nowhere can we find that they baptized using the words "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." Instead, we find them baptizing in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. In baptizing in Jesus' name, they fulfilled the command of the Lord in Matthew 28:19. Paul said, "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed" (Galatians 1:8). Let this be a solemn warning to us. Some say that they will accept the words of Jesus in Matthew 28:19 but not those of Peter in Acts 2:38. But Peter spoke on the Day of Pentecost under the anointing of the Holy Ghost. Peter was one of the apostles, and to him had been given the keys of the kingdom, so we have no right to discredit his words.

In Mark 7:8 Jesus said, "Laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men." History tells us that it was not until many years after the apostles that the mode and formula of baptism in the name of Jesus Christ were changed. (See Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible, vol. 1, p. 241.) Which means more to you, the command of the Lord or the tradition of men?
Understanding the Godhead

Is the Godhead a Mystery?

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

It has been said that the Godhead is a mystery – that it was designed by God to be a mystery. What is a “mystery?” It is not something that nobody understands. A mystery is something that some understand, and others do not. The entire ministry of Jesus Christ was designed this way.

Jesus sometimes baffled His disciples by teaching in parables. They would become frustrated. One day a disciple asked Him, “Why do you always teach in these parables?” (Matthew 13:10; Mark 4:10; Luke 8:9)

A parable is a story that reveals truth to one, while veiling truth from another. And so Jesus explained to them, “I teach in parables because it is given to you to understand, but to them it is not given.” (Matthew 13:11; Mark 4:11; Luke 8:10)

On the surface, this might not seem fair. Jesus went on to explain: “For the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled in them having eyes to see they see not, having ears to hear they hear not. Lest at anytime they should hear with their ears believe in their heart and should be converted and I should heal them.” Finally Jesus said, “For this people’s heart is waxed gross and their eyes they have closed.” (Matthew 13:13-15; Mark 4:11-12; Luke 8:10)

What happens when truth comes to us – especially if it goes against our grain? Against our traditions? There is a tendency to close our eyes and say, “I just don’t believe that. I just don’t see it that way.” But the reason we don’t believe it or see it that way is not because it is untrue. It is because we have deliberately closed our eyes.

The Choice Is Yours

It is important to realize that there is one sin that is probably more deadly than any other sin. It is the sin of unbelief.

Some of us may think that either you believe something or you do not. It’s like a chemical reaction. Either it happens or it doesn’t. This is untrue. Unbelief is not like this. Unbelief is a conscious and deliberate choice of will. The Bible tells us that all unbelievers will have their part in the lake of fire.

When we encounter truth, our intelligent minds know how to run down the path. We think to ourselves, “If I embrace this truth, it might upset my church membership, it may upset my family, upset my friends...”

Our minds continue to run down this path. We think, “This issue is going to turn my life upside down!” And this may very well be true. When Jesus Christ comes into people’s lives, He always turns them upside down, and many times it’s not comfortable. In Jesus’ day, it would cause a person to be thrown out of the synagogue. Because of this, Jesus encountered many people with their spiritual eyes closed saying, “I don’t see it. I don’t want to see it.

This is called a deliberate choice of free will. This process casts a person into the role of an unbeliever, and all unbelievers shall have their place in the lake of fire. This is very basic, and it is an issue to which we can all relate.

Why the Mystery?

The Godhead was, in fact, enshrouded in mystery for the deepest of reasons. It was so that only those who seek shall find, and only those who knock, unto them is it open, and only those who incessantly ask...receive (Matthew 7:7-8; Luke 11:9-10). If you, however, are willing to not understand, then God will provide that option. It is readily available.

For God is not in the mass production business. He is in the quality control business. He’s not looking for the many. He is looking for those who will rule and reign as kings and priests with Him for 1,000 years and throughout eternity. He is looking for those who are obedient.

Right now, the Kingdom of God is in formation. How we respond to truth will determine whether we will rule and reign with Christ in that coming kingdom. So, these concepts and purposes are very deep.

By the way, I would like for you to notice something. Let’s look at 1 Timothy 3:16 again:

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Notice... we are first told that godliness is a mystery. But now... look at the rest of the scripture. It defines the mystery for us! It’s not a mystery for those who seek!

Paul writes in I Timothy 3:16, “...God was manifest in the flesh.”

This is the reason why He was called Emanuel. That interpretation means, “God with us.”

Matthew 1:23, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Jesus Christ was God... and He was God with us.

“God was manifest in the flesh,
justified in the Spirit,
seen of angels,
preached unto the Gentiles,
believed on in the world,
and received up into glory.”
From cradle to ascension, Jesus Christ was God .

This is the central question. Unless we get this one question right, nothing else will be right. How many Gods are there?

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

How Many Gods? One.

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Before we just say this glibly, let us look at some of the teachings of the Bible concerning how many Gods there actually are. Deuteronomy 6:4, of course, is the cornerstone of all truth. But let’s go beyond it to see if the rest of the scriptures bear it out.

None Else Beside Him

Deuteronomy 4:35 says it this way:

Unto thee it was showed, that thou mightest know that the LORD He is God; there is none else beside Him.

So, not only is there just one God, there is none else beside Him.

No God With Him

Deuteronomy 32:39 tells us that there is no God with Him:

See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no God with Me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of My hand.

So, according to the Lord, there is no god beside Him, there is no god with Him.

No God Before Him or After Him

Furthermore, Isaiah 43:10 tells us that there was no God formed before Him and it tells us that there will not be any God formed after Him.

Ye are My witnesses, saith the LORD, and My servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He: before Me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after Me.

This is not complex. There is one God, there was none before Him, there will not be another God created after Him, there is no God beside Him, and there is none with Him.

None Like Him

As we have already seen, there is no God with Him, were none before Him, and will never be any after Him. Also, there is not even any God like Him, as we read in II Samuel 7:22:

Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God: for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

The Scriptures go on and on with this consistent truth.

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Even Devils Know There Is Only One God

Here now is one of the very interesting scriptures – James 2:19. It says:

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Satan, who found his realm in heaven, knows that there is one and only one God. Additionally, I Corinthians 8:4 says:

As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

(Continued)
Quote | Reply | Edit | Delete
sisterren

Additionally, I Corinthians 8:4 says:

As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

From these Scriptures, and many, many others like them not mentioned here, we can reach a conclusion of truth. There is one and only one God.

Is Jesus God?

The next question is if there is one and only one God, does the Bible teach that Jesus is God? Isaiah 9:6, the great Messianic prophecy, tells us:

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Jesus Both Son and Father?

This is an interesting scripture because it says that this Messiah will be both Son and Father. He will be the Son born, but yet He will also be the everlasting Father!

Matthew 1:23 teaches us:

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Jesus is God with us.

Revelation 1:8 the Lord God Almighty speaks:

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

In verses 10 and 11 the Lord continues:

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last:

The same voice is speaking to John in both verses. We know this because He said in verse 8 “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending” and He again repeats, “I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last.”

Verses 12 and 13 continue:

And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

And verses 17 and 18:

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead;

Now we know for sure who is talking here when He says, “I am he that liveth, and was dead.” Jesus is speaking.

Continuing in verse 18 we read:

and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

The One who said, “I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the ending, the Almighty,” is the same One who said, “I am he that liveth, and was dead and, behold, I am alive for evermore.”

This is Jesus Christ staking claim not only to be God but to be the Almighty God!

God Is the Only Savior

Isaiah 43:11 tells us that the Lord Jehovah is the only Savior:

I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

God Is Jesus?

In Acts 9 we witness a conversion – the revelation to Paul. The man named Saul of Tarsus, then a persecutor of the church, was on his way to persecute Christians at Damascus. He had papers that had been granted to him to fulfill this commission. However, God had a different plan for this man’s life. As he was traveling along, Acts 9:4 reads:

And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Saul knew this was God speaking to him. But remember, up to this point, Saul had not been thinking that he was persecuting followers of God. He thought he was persecuting followers of Jesus. But here now was God Himself asking Saul why he is persecuting “Me.”

Saul obviously concluded, “I must not know who God is.” He asked God that very question... and received in response what the amazing revelation that should be apparent to us all. Acts 9:5:

And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Paul said, “Who are you Lord?” And God responded, “I am Jesus.”

I’ll Believe It When I See It

In another story, Jesus had appeared to the ten disciples (Thomas was absent). When Thomas returned, the disciples told Thomas they had seen Jesus. Thomas replied, “Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.” (John 20:25)

Several days later, Jesus appeared to them again, and this time Thomas was present. Jesus went straight to Thomas and said, “... behold my hands; and...my side...” (John 20:27)

Thomas fell on his knees and replied, “My Lord and my God.”

In that moment, Thomas realized that not only had Jesus risen from the dead, but that Jesus had been listening to his denials. At that moment, Thomas realized that this is a God who is an ever-present God, who knows my thoughts while they are yet afar off. He is Jesus. And He is God.

The Only Wise God

Jude 1:25 reads:

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and for ever. Amen.

If there is more than one God, the others don’t have any sense. As we just read, “... the only wise God...” Only one God possesses wisdom, glory, majesty, dominion, and power. This doesn’t leave much for any god other than the One.

Jesus Is the One God

What can we conclude from these scriptures? There is only one God, and Jesus is that one God.

The Holy Ghost Is God

Have we answered all of our questions about the Godhead? No. Let’s take look at the Holy Ghost, since the Holy Ghost is part of the Godhead. The Bible teaches us that the Holy Ghost is God. Let’s look at Luke 1:35:

...the Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Since the Holy Ghost was going to overshadow Mary... and cause her to conceive... and the holy thing which would be born of her shall be called the Son of God... we can therefore see the Bible teaches us that the Holy Ghost is God.

The Holy Ghost Is the Father?

Our lesson will now become more confusing – or at least it may seem to be confusing if you don’t fully understand the one-God concept.

Who was the Father of Jesus? The natural answer would be, “The Father.” But we are about to learn that the Holy Ghost was the father of Jesus. Here is Matthew 1:18:

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

The Father Is Not the Father?

Here is where some people become confused due to the concept of the Trinity. If you have a Father, a Son and a Holy Ghost... and the Holy Ghost is the father of Jesus... this is a strange situation. The Father is not the father! But that is only confusing to people who have been taught to believe that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are three separate beings.

If it is your belief, however, that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one and the same, then we can use these titles interchangeably without doing violence to the Bible. On the other hand, if they are not one and the same, then we would be rightfully confused. It would seem as though the wrong one fathered Jesus Christ.

The Holy Ghost Is Jesus?

We have just learned that the Holy Ghost is the Father. And we learned earlier that according to Isaiah 9:6, the Father and the Son are the same.

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

It should therefore not come as a surprise to find that the Bible teaches that Jesus is not only the Father, but He is also the Holy Ghost. Here is John 14:16-17:

And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him:...

The world doesn’t see Him, the world doesn’t know Him, and the world doesn’t perceive Him. Jesus continues in verse 17:

...but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

The disciples were given the revelation when Jesus said, “but ye know Him...” Ta-da! “for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.” In other words, “Look at me! here I am! Right now I am with you physically, but I have to go away so that you can know me more intimately than you can know me right now. I have to go away so I can indwell you!”

Jesus continues in verse 18:

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Understanding Godhead is to Understand the Baptism

We know at this point that

Jesus is the Father,

Jesus is the Son,

and Jesus is the Holy Ghost.

And this explains why, on the day of His ascension into heaven, Jesus straightly commanded His disciples to go teach all nations and baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. (Matthew 28:19) And yet seven days later Peter stood on the day of Pentecost and commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. And then every single baptism throughout the history of the New Testament church was done in the name of Jesus. All of them.

Why?

It’s because by then the disciples understood that Jesus was the Father, Jesus was the Son, and Jesus was the Holy Ghost! And when He told them to baptize in the name of the Father, He meant for them to use the name of Jesus; when He told them to baptize in the name of the Son, He meant for them to use the name of Jesus; and when He told them to baptize in the name of the Holy Ghost, He meant for them to use the name of Jesus.

Because Colossians 2:9 says that

in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Some of us may say, “How can this be?”

It is really quite simple. I am a father, I am a son and I am a husband, but I am not three persons. Jesus Christ was Father, Son and Holy Ghost, but He is not three people. Recall Jesus’ words to Philip, “he that hath seen me hath seen the Father.” (John 14:9)

The Mystery of Godliness Is Solved!

Summary

It has been said that God is a mystery. Paul writes this in I Timothy 3:16. He said, “Great is the mystery of godliness.” But what does “mystery” mean? We discover through scripture that it does not mean mysteries cannot be understood. And, in fact, Paul goes on in this the same verse to define the mystery for us! He tells us that the mystery of godliness is that “God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.” When a person says that God is a mystery, he has not looked deeply enough.

Scriptures prove out very clearly that

There is one God.
There is no god beside Him
There is no god with Him
There was no god before Him
There will be no god after Him
There is none like Him
The devils even know there is one God
Jesus is God
Jesus is the Father
Jesus is the Son
Jesus is the Holy Ghost
The Holy Ghost is God
The Holy Ghost is Jesus

The disciples understood that Jesus was the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost. When Jesus, therefore, gave them instructions to “teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost,” they properly understood that Jesus was referring to Himself. And this is why seven days later on the day of Pentecost, Peter commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. And then all baptisms and throughout the history of the New Testament church were done in the name of Jesus.

Proper understanding of the Godhead is reflected in baptism.
Eccl.12:13 In all due respect I am not on here to debate the precious word of God. I have provided More than Sufficient proof that God is not a trinity. If you want to believe the trinity That is YOUR CHOICE.
My Job Is to Lay the Food Out on the table if you don't want to eat that's ok with me. God Bless you. LOVE IN CHRIST DELLA MORTON
Baptism in the Name of Jesus

Why YOU need to know why.

OK. Most Christians were baptized in the titles of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Were you?

Why would this article dare suggest something different? Because the Bible really does make a very big deal out of using the name of Jesus in baptism. Please consider this subject with an open mind.

It focuses on the importance of the name of Jesus. Think about this.

Civilization has worshipped many gods throughout history.

People make gods out of anything. They imagine that anything that seems to be somewhat supernatural is a god. People imagine gods to be anything they need them to be for whatever purpose.

Take for example, the ancient Aztec Indians. They believed that fire and water were sacred to their very survival, so they imagined and worshipped gods of fire and water.

In the Far East, Hindus worshipped gods of wealth, health, and fertility, for similar reasons. The ancient Mediterraneans idolized sensuality and carnal pleasures, and mythological gods like Venus and Isis, Eros and Cupid were worshipped.

Orientals of India revere the Brahman sages, and hold cows to be sacred. Egyptians fearfully worship crocodiles, to appease the dangerous beasts dwelling along the banks of the Nile River. Many societies have deified their heroic dead, such as the ancient Nimrod and his wife, Simaramis.

In the modern Western world, we worship a menagerie of gods, like money and material possessions, or fame and fortune, pleasure and power. We hold over-achievers on a pedestal - the Olympians, the movie stars, the star athletes.

It is important to remember that man-made gods have no power to prepare us for eternity.

There may appear to be many gods, but we realize that many things are worshipped which are not worthy of worship. Many things that are perceived to be supernatural, or have supernatural powers are not indeed supernatural.

Jesus Christ is the only man who ever lived who had, and still has the power to save, heal and change lives. Most of the gods of ages past have long been forgotten. Even in modern society, we see that men's worship is usually short-lived, and popular gods and idols soon become unpopular, and men replace them with new, more attractive ones. There have been few gods that held the public attention for more than a short time.

Jesus Christ is God with us. He is the only true, living Savior.

There is only one God that has endured the test of time and continues forever the same. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And that is the God of the Bible.

Israel's King David observed, "The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they but they see not: They have ears, but they hear not..." (Psalm 115:4-6a). He reminds us that the gods of this world are created by men, and are therefore lifeless.

"But," he boasts that, "our God is in the heavens, he hath done whatsoever he pleased" (verse 3).

Our God is the only eternal God.

The Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians (I Corinthians 8:5 & 6) that "though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) but to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things."

This describes the sovereignty, or the singular entity of God.

Our God is not just A god, but He is THE God; the only true and living God. He stands alone, in a class all to Himself. He is Supreme and superior to every other power.

I should not have to prove to any thinking person that there truly is a Supreme God; a Holy One whose power supersedes, precludes and leaves powerless any other so-called god.

Only a fool would argue that there is not a higher power, specifically, one whose very existence is not confined to time or space. Some people ignorantly acknowledge a 'Force' with us; others perceive Him as 'Divine providence'.

But He is infinitely more than a force or a providence. He is our Creator. As such, He is our Father. He is the root and source of all life. Even though men perceive God in many contradictory terms, one thing is sure: He pre-existed us. He pre-existed the worlds. His existence reaches into the eternal past.

When Moses first wrote about the creation of heaven and earth, he did not even suggest a proper name for the Creator. He only said, "in the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth" (Genesis 1:1).

John 1:3 said that "All things were made by him; and without Him was not anything made that was made."

God has a specific identity - a specific name that He requires us to address Him by.

"God'? Is "God" His name?

Since Moses introduced us to the Creator without referring to Him by name, we have to look for whatever name significance we can find in this word "God".

The translators of the Hebrew language capitalized "God" when referring to the one true God. The Creator was not god, but God. The upper-case "G" subtly helps us to distinguish between the many gods and the one true God.

The ancient Hebrew language uses the word Elohiym in place of the English word God. Elohiym could be translated 'gods' as a common noun.

But in the Genesis story, elohiym is used as a proper noun, and indicates the Supreme God. In the so-called majestic plural, elohiym refers not to a plurality of gods or personages of god, but a plurality of virtues or attributes of the one true Spirit of God; at once manifesting the attributes of a multitude of lesser gods.

He is the Lord of lords.

In the Old Testament, God's names applied to particular attributes.

He came to be known by many names. In the days of Adam's son, Seth, "then began men to call upon the NAME of the LORD" (Genesis 4:26).

The English term, "lord" comes from the Hebrew term "Yehovah", and means "self-existent One."

When you combine Yehovah Elohiym, you say Lord God, or Self-existent One God.

Later, God told Moses in Exodus that He had appeared unto Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, "by the name of God ALMIGHTY, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them" (Exodus 6:3).

Five times in the book of Genesis, God (Elohiym) is used in conjunction with Almighty (Shaddai), (Genesis 17:1, 28:3, 35:11, 43:14, 48:3). So El Shaddai was God Almighty.

The scripture tells us that "Abram called upon the name of the LORD" (Genesis 12:8,21:33). In other words, Abraham was familiar with God by the name El Shaddai, but never knew the name Jehovah.

Eventually, all three names combined. Yehovah Elohiym Shadday, or the Self-existent One God Almighty.

It is critical to understand that the LORD is a single person

Moses said that Elohiym was "One Lord" in Deuteronomy 6:4.

He commanded the Hebrews, "Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is One Lord".

That fact was held to be more important than all other facts of life. Every Jewish child had a monotheistic concept of God imposed upon his or her thinking so forcefully that absolutely no person but God the Father was allowed to be worshipped.

In the book of Job, Job asked, "Will ye accept His PERSON?", referring to God as one person.

In Genesis, Moses described a single person as creator when he said, "So God created man in His own image, in the image of GOD created He him" (Genesis 1:27).

What is the name of the ONE LORD?

It is unthinkable that the God of universal power and glory can be adequately named by merely capitalizing the common noun - god.

Even as human civilization multiplied and filled the earth, and men began to know God more fully, they still did not know how to properly address Him. His name was not given at first. It was a secret.

When Jacob wrestled with the Angel of the Lord, he asked "Tell me, I pray thee, thy NAME" (Genesis 32:27). The Angel would not tell him, but responded: "Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name?"

Later, Samson's father, Manoah, was also visited by the Angel of the Lord. Manoah wanted to find out what His name was, but was forbidden: "Why askest thou thus after my NAME, seeing it is SECRET" (Judges 13:18).

It would seem that the Angel of the Lord would be able to declare the NAME of the Lord, but not so.

There were numerous names ascribed to God given to us, but the highest, all-encompassing name was mysteriously withheld for centuries.

Something in the plan and purpose God prevented ONE SPECIAL NAME from being revealed. But it became more apparent that the earlier names were incomplete.

From the beginning, the significance of each name of God was confined to a particular attribute of God.

Yehovah was compounded with specific adjective-like names, such as Jehovah-jireh, Jehovah-nissi, and Jehovah-shalom.

Jireh implied Provider, and was introduced when God provided the ram in Isaac's stead on Mt. Moriah, (Genesis 22:14).

Nissi was introduced at an altar in the desert, when Moses declared the Lord to be his Banner of war against the Amelekites, (Exodus 17:15).

Shalom referred to the Peace that Gideon found in the presence of the Lord, (Judges 6:24).

Yehovah Rapha meant the Lord that Healeth, in Exodus 15:26.

There were no less than sixteen Jehovah names in all. NONE of them defined His name to be Salvation.

That fact is significant. God's SAVING name was not revealed in the Old Testament!

Isaiah did describe it, however, in an Old Testament prophecy. He said, "His NAME shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6).

God's highest and saving name was reserved for a very special time

Zechariah prophesied, "And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be ONE LORD, and His NAME ONE" (Zechariah 14:9).

ONE NAME FOR GOD! Think about it!

Consider all the great names ascribed to God through the ages. Then consider the implications of having them all reduced to one simple name, and you may begin to understand the importance of the name.

Elohiym had referred to the multifaceted nature of God, but it still sounded like a common noun, and had an almost generic meaning.

But a better name was going to come.

A Name was revealed by the Angel for the Incarnate Savior

It was not until the magnificent occasion of the Incarnation that God chose to unveil the highest name ever revealed.

It somehow had to be related to the fact that through all the ages, God had remained an invisible Spirit, showing Himself only on rare occasions in a variety of temporary forms, or Theophanies, (i.e., men, angels, apparitions, smoke, fire, clouds, whirlwinds, and in dreams and visions).

Since God had revealed Himself only partially, it was fitting that His name was also only partially revealed.

But when God finally became physically embodied in a human vessel, that is, when He was incarnated in the body of His infant human Son, God "made himself of no reputation, and took on him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:" (Philippians 4:7).

"And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him", (referring to the human son), "and given him a name which is above every name: that at the name of JESUS every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that JESUS Christ is LORD" (we have identified the Lord as Jehovah: the Self-Existent One), "to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:8-11).

So Jesus is the Self-existent one, whom the ancient fathers knew as the Father, or Lord. Now He is incarnate in the human body of His son.

The name Jesus brought salvation

Until that time, men had approached God through a wide variety of names, none of which related to salvation.

Earlier names had offered healing, peace, provision, et cetera, but the angel had instructed Mary and Joseph that the son of God was to have a very special name.

"And thou shalt call his name JESUS, for he shall SAVE his people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21).

JESUS' name meant SALVATION. The roots of the Greek word Jesus trace to the Hebrew Jehoshua which is a combination of Jehovah (Self- existent One) and Yasha (Savior,) forming the highest name of Jehovah ever known: Jehovah-Yasha (Savior)!

JESUS is the all-encompassing name of God

It was the Father's undisclosed name: JESUS!

It was the Holy Spirit's secret name: JESUS!

And it was given to and revealed in the human Son: JESUS!

The Spirit's name was revealed in a man. The Son (human) prayed to the Father (Eternal Spirit) and said: "I have DECLARED unto them thy name, and will declare it" (John 17:26). In Hebrews 2:12, the Son again says, "I will DECLARE thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee."

The name the Son declared was JESUS. And he plainly told them that it was His Father's name!

Jesus told the Jews, "I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive" (John 5:43).

Since it was the Holy Ghost who conceived the infant in the womb of the virgin Mary, according to Luke 1:35, we must recognize the fact that the HOLY GHOST is the FATHER of Jesus Christ.

You can be sure that God the Father did not beget another deity.

There simply is no God the Son. That phrase is not to be found in the Bible, and for a reason.

Since the Holy Ghost was the Father, and the Father's name was Jehovah Savior (that is, JESUS), then the the name of the Holy Ghost is also Jehovah Savior (that is, JESUS).

If you have never realized or admitted it, now would be a good time to say it - 'The Father's name is Jesus. The Son's name is Jesus. And the Holy Ghost's name is Jesus.'

The only begotten son was a man, in which the Father was incarnate!

So the man, the Son, wore the name of the God who was in him. That name was Jesus.

He said, "I am come in my Father's name." We see then that the name Jesus belongs as much to the Father as it does to the Son.

Jehovah Savior is the Eternal Spirit and Jehovah Savior is embodied in the Son of Man.

When we speak the name Jesus we address the "fullness of God bodily" (Colossians 2:9).

Therefore we must conclude that Jesus' commandment in Matthew 28:19 to "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" can only be fulfilled when the name Jesus is actually pronounced, because there is no other name given under Heaven that simultaneously addresses the Spirit of God and the Son of Man as SAVIOR, the name whereby we MUST BE SAVED!

The entire remainder of the New Testament is conspicuously void of any illustrations of the Apostles ever baptizing their converts while pronouncing the titles "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost" over them, for the simple reason that salvation is not in the titles, but in the name!

Sins are remitted in His name.

In fact, Jesus' own commandment was that REMISSION of sins should be preached IN HIS NAME (Luke 24:47).

The Apostles' own ministries confirmed their conviction that EVERY CONVERT should be baptized in the NAME of JESUS Christ.

The Old Testament remained in effect until the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Even the thief on the cross had to be saved under the Old Testament jurisdiction.

But New Testament guidelines changed everything.

No one was allowed to continue their ministry until first they "wait for the promise of the Father" (Acts 1:4), which Acts 1:5 identifies as the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

One hundred twenty souls were "filled with the Holy Ghost, and spoke with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4) on the day of Pentecost.

Thousands of curious passersby hungrily desired the same experience. Peter preached to them the very first gospel message of the New Testament that day.

"Repent," he said, "and be baptized EVERY ONE OF YOU in the NAME of JESUS Christ for the remission of sins, and ye SHALL receive the GIFT of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38), (the gift being the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, with the evidence of speaking in other tongues).

"Then they that gladly received his word WERE BAPTIZED" (Acts 2:41), we must assume in the NAME of JESUS Christ, and, we must also assume, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. This involved an additional 3,000 souls.

It is easy to see the mountain of evidence showing the importance of calling upon the name of Jesus in baptism.

Peter's requirement to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ was in direct obedience to Jesus' command in Luke 24:47.

In fact, Jesus himself instructed Saul of Tarsus to present himself before a man named Annanias, where it would be "told thee what thou must do" (Acts 9:6).

On arrival, Annanias directed Saul to "Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, CALLING on the NAME of the LORD", (Acts 22:16).

Paul obediently was baptized, (Acts 9:19) and also received the gift of the Holy Ghost, (Acts 9:17b), speaking in tongues (I Corinthians 14:18).

The very first converts to Christianity from outside the Jewish nation were members of a Roman centurion's family, the household of Cornelius.

An angel instructed Cornelius to call for Peter. "He shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do", the angel said (Acts 10:6).

When Peter arrived, he preached JESUS to them. "While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on ALL them which heard the word," (Acts 10:44).

This occasion was of the very same kind which had happened to the JEWS on the day of Pentecost, but this time it was "on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God" (Acts 10:45b).

Peter repeatedly commanded baptism in Jesus' name

Not to stop short of full obedience, Peter immediately responded, "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

And he COMMANDED them to be baptized in the NAME of the Lord" (Acts 10:47,48).

The emphasis is on the fact that the NAME of JESUS is the SAVING NAME of God. We call upon the SAVING NAME to be saved.

Peter said, "Whosoever shall CALL on the NAME of the Lord shall be saved" (Acts 2:21).

Believers were rebaptized correctly if they had not been baptized in the name of Jesus

Paul preached in Ephesus to some of John the Baptist's followers. "He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism" (Acts 19:2-3).

Paul taught them that they were to "believe on him who should come after John, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the NAME of the LORD JESUS.

And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came upon them; and they spake with tongues and prophesied" (verses 4-6).

Here we observe the fact that water baptism without having called on the name of the Lord Jesus was actually null and void.

These converts of John the Baptist had been baptized in water unto repentance, but they were required to be rebaptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

And they, too, received the same gift of the Holy Ghost. "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

The power in the NAME is such that the enemies of God will invariably demand the church "not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus" (Acts 4:18).

The Apostle Paul, however, commanded quite the opposite: "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the LORD JESUS" (Colossians 3:17).

"The NAME of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into IT, and are safe" (Proverbs 19:10).

"He that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the NAME of the only begotten Son of God" (John 3:18).

"...in his name shall the Gentiles trust" (MATTHEW 12:21).

"Blessed is He that cometh in the NAME of the LORD" (Matthew 21:9).
Scripture Base for this study:
John 8:24 (KJV)
24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
Questions to be pursued and answered:
1. What name did our Savior come in? Work in? And declare unto the world?
2. What is the name of the Father? And of the Son? And of the Holy Ghost?
3. What did Jesus mean when he said that we must know he is the "I am He" or we will die in our sins?
4. Are there 3 'persons' in the Godhead or 3 'manifestations' of the ONE GOD? or does it really matter if we know or not?
Scriptural Answer:
1. God (the Father) of the Old Testament declares that one day 'all will know His name' and that He is the 'I am he'.
Isaiah 52:6 (KJV)
6 Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.

2. God declares that in that day there will be One King who is the ONE LORD and He will have only ONE NAME.
Zechariah 14:9 (KJV)
9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

3. The Father's name is what all the family in heaven and earth is named after.
Ephesians 3:14-15 (KJV)
14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

4. Jesus came in His Father's name.
John 5:43 (KJV)
43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

5. Jesus said He was the Father.
John 10:30 (KJV)
30 I and my Father are one.

6. Holy Ghost/Spirit was the father of the Son-Jesus.
Matthew 1:18 (KJV)
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Matthew 1:20 (KJV)
20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
Luke 1:35 (KJV)
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

7. Jesus inherited His Father's name.
Hebrews 1:4 (KJV)
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

8. An angel of the Father named Jesus.
Matthew 1:20-21 (KJV)
20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Luke 1:30-31 (KJV)
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

9. Jesus name is higher than any other name, in heaven, on earth or under the earth.
Philippians 2:9-10 (KJV)
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

10. Jesus came in the name of the LORD.
Matthew 21:9 (KJV)
9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.
Matthew 23:39 (KJV)
39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
Mark 11:9-10 (KJV)
9 And they that went before, and they that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna; Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord:
10 Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord: Hosanna in the highest.
Luke 13:35 (KJV)
35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
Luke 19:38 (KJV)
38 Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.
John 12:13 (KJV)
13 Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord.

11. The Father is the only LORD.
Isaiah 37:16 (KJV)
16 O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth.
Isaiah 43:3 (KJV)
3 For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
Isaiah 43:11 (KJV)
11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
Isaiah 43:15 (KJV)
15 I am the LORD, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King.
Isaiah 45:5-6 (KJV)
5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:
6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
Isaiah 45:18 (KJV)
18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

12. Only One LORD, One Faith and One Baptism.
Ephesians 4:5 (KJV)
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

13. Jesus is coming back in the name of the LORD.
Luke 13:35 (KJV)
35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
Luke 19:38 (KJV)
38 Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.

14. Jesus is both LORD and CHRIST.
Matthew 1:16 (KJV)
16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Matthew 2:4 (KJV)
4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
Acts 2:36 (KJV)
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Acts 7:59 (KJV)
59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

15. The Father is the only Immanuel.
Isaiah 8:8 (KJV)
8 And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach even to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel.
Isaiah 8:10 (KJV)
10 Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.

16. Jesus is the only Immanuel/Emmanuel.
Isaiah 7:14 (KJV)
14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Matthew 1:23 (KJV)
23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Acts 15:14 (KJV)
14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
2 Timothy 2:16 (KJV)
16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

17. Jesus did all work in His Father's name.
John 10:25 (KJV)
25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.

18. Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost/Comforter.
John 14:26 (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

19. The Holy Spirit/Ghost/Comforter was the Father of Jesus.
Matthew 1:20 (KJV)
Luke 1:35 (KJV)
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

20. Jesus is the Comforter.
Notice in these following verses that the Holy Ghost/Spirit is to come to the disciples yet it is Jesus who is the one coming back to live inside of them.
John 14:16-18 (KJV)
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; (Note: In the original Greek reading this verse actually reads: "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another way to be comforted". [W. E. Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words - The word Comforter or Consoler corresponds to the name 'Menahem', given by the Hebrews to the Messiah, so every Jew at that time knew who and what that 'comforter' is and would be - Jesus Himself] and then in verses 18 and 28 we see what that other way is, it is Jesus in spirit form coming back to live within us. Remember in Hebrews 13:5 Paul speaking of the Lord, who we know is Jesus, quotes part of 1 Kings 8:57 "for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" and by these verses we see that Jesus never left us but lives in us via our own personal Pentecostal experience of Acts 2 as the Holy Ghost/Spirit.)
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
John 14:28 (KJV)
28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

21. The Father is the 'I am he'.
Isaiah 41:4 (KJV)
4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.
Isaiah 43:10 (KJV)
10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
Isaiah 43:13 (KJV)
13 Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?
Isaiah 43:25 (KJV)
25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.
Isaiah 48:12 (KJV)
12 Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.
6 Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.

22. Jesus is the 'I am he'.
24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

23. The Father's name is called Jesus.
Isaiah 9:6 (KJV)
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 45:15 (KJV)
15 Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour. (Note: The word 'Saviour' here is the Hebrew word 'Yehoshua' and actually means 'Jehovah saves' and can properly be translated as the name Jesus for if you remember the name or word Jesus [Strong's Exhaustive concordance #2424 'Iesous' in Greek or in English would be 'Yahweh saves] means 'Saviour' so we see that the God of Israel is the Saviour/Jesus. The Greek word or name Iesous is translated ‘-Jesus’ 964 times, ‘Jesus’ 10 times and ‘him’ once in the KJV.
Zechariah 14:9 (KJV)
9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

24. Jesus' name is called the name of the Everlasting Father.
Isaiah 9:6 (KJV)
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

25. The Father is the only 'Almighty God'.
Genesis 17:1 (KJV)
1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
Ezekiel 10:5 (KJV)
5 And the sound of the cherubims' wings was heard even to the outer court, as the voice of the Almighty God when he speaketh.

26. Jesus is the only 'Almighty God'.
2 Corinthians 6:18 (KJV)
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
Revelation 1:1 (KJV) Note: The whole book of Revelation is about Jesus, Who He is and What He is. Notice the first five words of verse one 'The Revelation of Jesus Christ'. Those words set the stage for the entire rest of the book. It’s all about Jesus.
1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
Revelation 4:8 (KJV)
8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
Revelation 15:3 (KJV)
3 And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.
Revelation 16:7 (KJV)
7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.
Revelation 19:6 (KJV)
6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Revelation 21:22 (KJV)
22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

27. The Father is the First and the Last.
Isaiah 44:6 (KJV)
6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
Isaiah 48:12 (KJV)
12 Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

28. Jesus is the First and the Last.
Revelation 1:11 (KJV)
11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
Revelation 1:17 (KJV)
17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

29. In Jesus is the fullness of all that is God and He is the Head of all.
Colossians 2:9-10 (KJV)
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

30. The Father is the one and only Savior.
Isaiah 43:3 (KJV)
3 For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
Isaiah 43:11 (KJV)
11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
Isaiah 45:15 (KJV)
15 Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.
Isaiah 45:21 (KJV)
21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? Who hath told it from that time? Have not I the LORD? And there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
Isaiah 63:8 (KJV)
8 For he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Saviour.

Insert:
There are 19 compound names or titles of God in the Bible and they are:

Compound Names of Jehovah-Jesus in the Bible

Category: 19 Jehovah compound-titles or names in the Old Testament and one duplicated or carried over into the New Testament.
Not all locations of each individual compound name are given but just a sample so as to establish the usage and application of each.

Overview
1. Jehovah-Adonai The Lord Our Sovereign Genesis 15:2, 8
(Master Jehovah)
2. Jehovah-Elohav The Lord My God Psalm 7:1; Zech. 14:5
3. Jehovah-Eloheenu The Lord Our God Psalm 99:5, 8, 9
4. Jehovah-Eloheka The Lord Thy God Exodus 20:2, 5
5. Jehovah-Elohim The Eternal Creator Genesis 1:1-7, 26
6. Jehovah-Elyon The Lord Our Most High God Psalm 7:17; 47:2; 97:9
7. Jehovah-Gmolah The Lord Our Recompense Jeremiah 51:56
8. Jehovah-Hoseenu The Lord Our Maker Psalm 95:6
9: Jehovah-Jireh The Lord Will See or Will Provide Genesis 22:14
(Our Provider)
10. Jehovah-Makkeh The Lord That Smites Ezekiel 7:9
11. Jehovah-M’Kaddesh or Medaddishiem The Lord Our Sanctifier Exodus 31:13; Lev. 20:8
(The Lord That Doth Sanctify You)
12. Jehovah-Nissi The Lord Our Banner Exodus 17:15
13. Jehovah-Rohi or Ra-ah The Lord My Shepherd Psalm 23:1
14. Jehovah-Rapheda or Rapha or Raphe The Lord Our Healer Exodus 15:26
(The Lord That Healeth Thee)
15. Jehovah-Saboath The Lord Of Hosts 1 Samuel 1:3; Ps. 24:10
16. Jehovah-Shalom The Lord Our Peace Judges 6:23-24
17. Jehovah-Shammah The Lord Is Present Ezekiel 48:35
(The Lord Is There)
18. Jehovah-Tsidkeenu or Tsidkenu The Lord Our Righteousness Jeremiah 23:6, 33:16
19. Jehovah-Yasha or Yeshua or Yehowshuwa or Yehowshua
The Lord Is Savior Isaiah 49:26; Matt 1:21
(The Lord Is Jesus)

Details of #19
Jehovah-Yasha or Yeshua (- most common form) or Yehowshuwa or Yehowshua – The Lord Is Savior or The Lord Is Jesus
Isaiah 49:26 (Used in Old Testament 13 times)
And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I the Lord am thy Saviour (Jehovah-Yasha or Yeshua) and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.
Isaiah 60:16
Thou shalt also suck the milk of the Gentiles, and shalt suck the breast of kings: and thou shalt know that I the Lord am thy Saviour (Jehovah-Yasha or Yeshua or Yehowshuwa or Yehowshua) and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.
Matthew 1:21
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save (Jehovah-Yasha or Yeshua or Yehowshuwa or Yehowshua) his people from their sins.

31. Jesus is the one and only Savior.
Matthew 1:21 (KJV)
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Matthew 18:11 (KJV)
11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
Luke 19:10 (KJV)
10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
John 12:47 (KJV)
47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
1 Timothy 1:15 (KJV)
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

32. No other name under heaven given unto us that we MUST BE SAVED BY.
Acts 4:12 (KJV)
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Hebrews 2:3 (KJV)
3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

33. Everything we do in 'word' or 'deed' must be done in His one name, that precious name of 'Jesus Christ'. The one total and complete name of the Eternal, Everlasting, Almighty God = Jesus Christ.
Colossians 3:17 (KJV)
17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Wow! What a Bible Study that was. Amen!
Let me give a summary of what we've learned:
The 'NAME' of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost/Spirit or Comforter is Jesus Christ. To not know this truth is to not know He is the 'I am He' of John 8:24 the verse we started out with earlier on this topic.
And to not know that is to suffer the fate like those of Matthew 7:21-23 who 'used His name' but 'didn't know His name' as the single only name of the true God.
Trinitarians claims they know Jesus Christ but not if They don't use His Name in water baptism.
The trinity is simply not biblical.
I am so glad I know who Jesus is! I am singing that song: IT'S ALL IN HIM ....IT'S ALL IN HIM THE FULLNESS OF THE GODHEAD AND IT'S ALL IN HIM THE MIGHTY GOD IS JESUS AND IT'S ALL IN HIM...The Everlasting Father..The Jehovah Lord of Hosts ... The Word Incarnate.. PRINCE OF PEACE IS HE....IT'S ALL IN HIM ....IT'S ALL IN HIM THE FULLNESS OF THE GODHEAD AND IT'S ALL IN HIM THE MIGHTY GOD IS JESUS AND IT'S ALL IN HIM...
praise The Lord Everyone! Today is a beautiful Day! Jesus Has Made Me Glad! Bless His Holy Name.
Is (The Son)in The Godhead? (trinitarian's View)Or is the Godhead in the Son (oneness view)? Trinitarians have it all mixed up! My Bible (KJV) Tells me in Colossians 2:8-9 (King James Version)

8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

In Jesus Christ You Have The Fullness of the Godhead!
You don't need to look anywhere else!
It's So Simple in the Bible! But MAN AND THEIR TRADITIONS WILL ALWAYS TRY TO CONFUSE WHAT WAS AND IS SO SIMPLE! I AM GLAD GOD'S WORD NEVER CHANGES!
So If You Read this Study in your bible These Scriptures conclude the There is But one God and it's all Found In Jesus Christ !. You Don't Have three persons but three modes God Manifested Himself in. Therefore Why continue to listen to MAN-MADE Traditions of the Trinity. The Bible WILL ALWAYS TELL YOU THE TRUTH!

What Is Wrong With The Trinity?

First and foremost I want to make it clear that this piece is being written not to in any way hurt, destroy, or in any way slander any Trinitarian and their beliefs. This piece is being written in an attempt to answer, and to correct a long time, on going misunderstanding between most Oneness believers and Trinitarian believers. It is in no way written as an attempt to offend or take down a Christian, but to build up. I hope it does some good.

Why Is The Trinitarian Doctrine Wrong?

I have had this question asked to me by many Trinitarians “Why do you think the Trinitarian Doctrine is wrong?” or “What do you find wrong with the Trinitarian Doctrine?” So this is an attempt at answering at least some of these questions. More will be added as I think of them.

1. Trinitarian Terminology

The Terminology used in the Trinitarian Doctrine does not correctly and adequately explain who God really is. By calling the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost separate and distinct persons for instance. (Which by the way some Trinitarians choose not to use the word “distinct” when explaining who God is)

John 4:24 says : God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

By looking at the word of God simply, we see that a biblical definition of who God is can be found in John 4:24. The bible says “God is a Spirit” it cannot get much plainer than this.

The Term Person and Persons

Speaking of God as a person does not do justice to Him. The word person connotes a human being with a human personality - an individual with body, soul, and spirit. Thus, we limit our conception of God if we describe Him as a person. For this reason, this book has never said there is one person in the Godhead or God is one person. The most we have said is that Jesus Christ is one person, because Jesus was God manifested in flesh as a human person.

Speaking of God as a plurality of persons further violates the biblical concept of God. Regardless of what persons meant in ancient church history, today the word definitely connotes a plurality of individuals, personalities, minds, wills and bodies. Even in ancient church history, we have shown that the vast majority of believers saw it as a departure from biblical monotheism.

Three

The use of the number three in relation to God is also dangerous. If used to designate eternal distinctions in God, it leads to tritheism, which is a form of polytheism. If used to designate the only manifestations or roles God has, it limits God's activity in a way not done in Scripture. God has manifested Himself in numerous ways, and we cannot even limit them to three. The use of three goes against the clear emphasis both testaments place on associating the number one with God.

God Is a Spirit

Jesus proclaimed this truth in John 4:24. The Bible reveals it consistently, from Genesis 1:2 ("And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters") to Revelation 22:17 ("And the Spirit and the bride say, Come"). Hebrews 12:9 calls God the Father of spirits.

What is a spirit? Webster's Dictionary includes in its definition of the word the following: "A supernatural, incorporeal, rational being usu. invisible to human beings but having the power to become visible at will… a being having an incorporeal or immaterial nature." [2] The Hebrew word translated as spirit is ruwach, and it can mean wind, breath, life, anger, unsubstantiality, region of the sky, or spirit of a rational being. The Greek word translated as spirit, pneuma, can mean a current of air, breath, blast, breeze, spirit, soul, vital principle, disposition, angel, demon, or God. [3] All three definitions emphasize that a spirit does not have flesh and bones (Luke 24:39). Similarly, Jesus indicated that the Spirit of God does not have flesh and blood (Matthew 16:17). So, when the Bible says that God is a Spirit, it means that He cannot be seen or touched physically by human beings. As a Spirit, he is an intelligent, supernatural Being who does not have a physical body.

God Is Invisible

Since God is a Spirit, He is invisible unless He chooses to manifest Himself in some form visible to man. God told Moses, "Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live" (Exodus 33:20). "No man hath seen God at any time" (John 1:18; I John 4:12). Not only has no man ever seen God, but no man can see God (I Timothy 6:16). Several times the Bible describes God as invisible (Colossians 1:15; I Timothy 1:17, Hebrews 11:27). Although man can see God when He appears in various forms, no man can see directly the invisible Spirit of God.

God was NEVER a person. God was IN a person, but never was he at any time a person. (person meaning a human being INDIVIDUAL)

Does God Have a Body?

Since God is an invisible Spirit and is omnipresent, He certainly does not have a body as we know it. He did assume various forms and temporary manifestations throughout the Old Testament so that man could see Him. (See the section on theophanies later in this chapter.) However, the Bible does not record any permanent bodily manifestation of God until Jesus Christ was born. Of course, in Christ, God had a human body and now has a glorified, immortal human body.

Outside of temporary manifestations of God and outside of the New Testament revelation of God in Christ, we believe scriptural references to the eyes, hands, arms, feet, heart, and other bodily parts of God are examples of figurative language or anthropomorphisms (interpretations of the nonhuman in terms of the human so that man can understand).

In other words, the Bible describes infinite God in finite, human terms in order that we may better comprehend Him. For example, the heart of God denotes His intellect and His emotions, not a blood-pumping organ (Genesis 6:6; 8:21). When God said heaven was His throne and earth was His footstool, He described His omnipresence, not a pair of literal feet propped up on the globe (Isaiah 66:1). When God said His right hand spanned the heavens, He described His great power and not a large hand stretching through the atmosphere (Isaiah 48:13). "The eyes of the LORD are in every place" does not mean that God has physical eyes in every location but indicates His omnipresence and omniscience (Proverbs 15:3). When Jesus cast devils out by the finger of God, He did not pull down a giant finger from heaven, but He exercised the power of God (Luke 11:20). The blast of God's nostrils was not literal particles emitted by giant heavenly nostrils, but the strong east wind sent by God to part the Red Sea (Exodus 15:8; 14:21). In fact, literal interpretation of all the visions and physical descriptions of God would lead to the belief that God has wings (Psalm 91:4). In short, we believe God as a Spirit does not have a body unless He chooses to manifest Himself in a bodily form, which He did in the person of Jesus Christ.

Some say that in the Old Testament God had a spirit body visible to other spirit beings such as angels. They raise this hypothesis because human spirits seem to have a recognizable form visible to other spirits (Luke 16:22-31) and because some passages indicate the angels and Satan could see a visible manifestation of God in the Old Testament (I Kings 22:19-22; Job 1:6). However, God did not need a spirit body to do this because He could have manifested Himself at various times to other spirits just as He did to man. One key verse of Scripture implies that ordinarily God is not visible even to spirit beings unless He chooses to manifest Himself in some way: "God was manifest in the flesh… seen of angels" (I Timothy 3:16). At the least, if God did have some type of spirit body He certainly was not confined to it like other spirit beings are confined to their bodies; for then He would not be truly omnipresent. For example, God's omnipresence means He could have appeared simultaneously to men on earth and to angels in heaven. Also, we must realize that in New Testament times God has chosen to reveal Himself fully through Jesus Christ (Colossians 2:9). There is no possibility of separating God and Jesus, and there is no God visible outside of Jesus.

I have found that most terminology used by most Trinitarians are words and uses of words that sell God short in a way. They tend to limit God to one certain thing, and not reveal his Omnipresent (Everywhere Present) Spirit.

For instance, By calling the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost three Separate, distinct persons we limit God to that body. And as we all know God is Omnipresent.

1Kings 8:27 But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?

2Choronicles 2:6 But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him? who am I then, that I should build him an house, save only to burn sacrifice before him?

2Choronicles 6:18 But will God in very deed dwell with men on the earth? behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house which I have built!

Isaiah 66:1 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?

Acts 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

Psalms 139:7-13

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

So as we read in that word of God, “God is a Spirit” not a person. He is not separate or distinct from himself in any way, shape or form.

Other terminology used by Trinitarians that is misleading also include words like co-equal, co-eternal, co-powerful, and of co-essence. Let’s take each word one at a time.

*Co-equal

There is no one or thing equal to God he stands alone. Scripture tells us this, and by reading the Word of God correctly this matter can be made very clear.

Isaiah 43:10-12

10. Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

11. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

12. I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.

Isaiah 44:6,8

6. Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

If you want to think of it symbolically or if you want to think of it literally, it is the same. But if you are expecting one God sitting beside another God or one person sitting beside another person, Jehovah God says that is not going to happen I am alone, there is none beside me.

Isaiah 44:24

24. Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

John 1:3,10

3. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made

10. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Hebrews1:2. Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Hebrews1:8-10

8. But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:

When he created he did it all alone and he did it all by himself. No one helped him, no one counseled with him. He did it by HIMSELF.

Ephesians1:11

11. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Isaiah45:5-7

5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Isaiah46:5,9

5 To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?

9. Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

Isaiah 40:18,25

18 To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?

25 To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One.

If you meet someone that is exactly like God in every way, you have

found God. Because there is no one who is exactly like God, and yet a

different being or person other than God.

There is one God in the most absolute sense you can think of one

God. Numerically one, alone, by myself, none else, none beside me, none

like me. He said I will not give my glory unto another.

Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Isaiah48:11 For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.

I submit to you at this time if you cannot see that God is one in every possible way, and there is NO ONE equal or co-equal to him. I only ask that you please pray about what God is telling you and what you have been taught by man. And let the truth of God’s word decide for you in your heart.

*Co-Eternal

I have heard some Trinitarians call the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost co-eternal. Now this makes no sense biblically knowing God is one in every possible way. Let me make one thing very clear, since God is One in every possible way there is no “CO” anything with him. Scripture it’s self calls him eternal and refers to him as one eternal King and God.

1Timothy 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Notice “the King eternal” The is a reference to ONE. King also referring to ONE. “The ONLY wise God” these are very strong and precise words. They mean what they say not anything else but reference to one .

Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.
Once again we see in this scripture a reference to ONE by using the word “the” we see that Israel knew God to be one in every possible way.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

If you look up the word “everlasting” in this Scripture in the original Hebrew and Greek you will find it is a reference the eternal Father. Interesting huh? He is the first and the last (Isaiah 44:6). He had no beginning and will have no ending; other spiritual beings, including man, are immortal as far as the future is concerned but only God is eternal in the past and future.

*Co-Powerful

Trinitarians believe the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are all co-powerful in that they share the same power. No one person is stronger or has more power than the other. This makes no sense biblically. Not just because God is one in every way possible, but also because the bible states in Matthew 28:18 that “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.”

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

He said he all the power that means if I were to believe in the trinity I would have to admit that the other two had no power. Jesus had it all because he was God in flesh. It really is that simple. But yet Jesus also said in John 14:28 “my Father is greater than I”

John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

If Jesus had all power how come he said his Father was greater then him? A even greater question is If they are all co-powerful how can his Father be greater than him? Now some would try to interject here and say to me “Hold on a minute here, you just put yourself in a corner son.” “You are contradicting your own self. By saying that Jesus said he has all power then turning around and saying his Father was greater than him.” “Boy you are in some mess, get out of that one son. “ Well it is very easy if you know the Word and know who God really is. By understanding the nature of God scriptures like this are easy understood. Jesus was simply saying that the Spirit is greater than the flesh you see. You see Jesus understood that the flesh was nothing without the Spirit and what made him God in the flesh was the Spirit that dwelt in that body . He always gave all glory to the Father (Spirit) that dwelt in him. He knew where his power came from. The only way Jesus could have all power is to be God in the flesh. See that was easy!

John1:1,10,14

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

2 Corinthians 5:19

19. To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

*Co-Essence

I have asked some Trinitarians the meaning of this co-essence and have received some very interesting responses. I guess the basic thing that was meant by the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost all being of co-essence means that have the same fundamental nature or quality. That is the definition given in Webster’s dictionary. So I guess that is what is meant. The fact that they dwell together in unity is the way another Trinitarian explained it to me. First of all there is no “they” in God he is only one and therefore cannot be a they. and yes Jesus has the same nature and quality of God because he is God in the flesh. Only God can have his own qualities. He is one he will not give his glory to another remember? He shares them with no one. He is by himself God. (Isaiah 45:5-7, 44:6,8, 43:10-12). It really all goes back to knowing and understanding the nature of God. I have found out that most Trinitarians have no real knowledge of the nature of God. When one realizes the true nature of God they will understand who God really is for the first time.

*NOTE* An excellent read on the nature of God can be found in the book “The Oneness Of God” by David K. Bernard Chapter Two.

*Explaining God from Mans Point Of View

One of the biggest mistakes I have heard Trinitarians make is explaining God with mans words, definitions, and analogies. I say mistake, because if we read the word of God correctly he explains himself already. We don’t need to explain God in our own minds or words we should always go by what the Word says. The reason behind all this is simple. Anytime we try to explain such an important subject as “who God is” we should never use mans thoughts or ways. Spiritual things cannot be explained in a fleshly manner. Spiritual things are correctly explained by spiritual thoughts. That is why we need the Holy Ghost, the bible says it will lead us and guide into all truth.

John16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

*NOTE*

Non-biblical terminology in and of itself does not mean that a doctrine described by it is necessarily false, but it does cast considerable doubt on the matter. This is especially true when the non-biblical terminology is not merely a replacement for biblical terminology, but instead it teaches new concepts. In short, non-biblical terminology is dangerous if it leads to non-biblical ways of thinking and eventually to non-biblical doctrines. The Terminology used to describe the Trinitarian Doctrine certainly has this problem.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

So as you can see by these scriptures it is the Holy Ghost that teaches us spiritual things. It takes the spirit to teach spiritual things.

1Corinthians 2:5-16

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

I have heard God explained as a triangle, a light bulb, an apple, an egg, even a math equation. These are all non-spiritual attempts to explain God. These explanations always sell God short because God is not explained by human thoughts and words. He is explained in his own Word (The Bible). He explains himself simply, clearly, and understandably easy. We should compare Spiritual things with Spiritual. “We have the mind of Christ” What does this mean? It is a reference to those who are filled with the Holy Ghost.

Colossians 2:8-10

8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

I believe that trinitarianism is not a biblical doctrine and that it contradicts the Bible in many ways. The Scriptures do not teach a trinity of persons. The doctrine of the trinity uses terminology not used in Scripture. It teaches and emphasizes plurality in the Godhead while the Bible emphasizes the oneness of God. It detracts from the fulness of Jesus Christ's deity. It contradicts many specific verses of Scripture. It is not logical. No one can understand or explain it rationally, not even those who advocate it. In short, trinitarianism is a doctrine that does not belong to Christianity.

2. The Origin of The Trinitarian Doctrine

I myself have studied the Trinitarian Doctrine, and have found out some things that help me to realize just where it came from. And by knowing this it is just one more reason why I refute it as truth. Here is just some of what I have studied and found to be true. This is taken from David K. Bernard’s book “The Oneness Of God” chapter Eleven

Problems with Tritheism

Orthodox trinitarians deny tritheism, which is the belief in three gods. However, when asked to explain how there can be three distinct persons and yet only one God, they ultimately explain that the trinity is a mystery our finite human minds cannot comprehend fully.

Since trinitarians attempt to reject the concept of three gods, they usually are reluctant to describe God in terms of three beings, personalities, or individuals. One trinitarian stated, "No important Christian theologian has argued that there are three self-conscious beings in the godhead." Another trinitarian writer rejects the idea that the trinity is composed of three individuals, but he does denounce an overemphasis on oneness, which (he says) leads to a Jewish view of God.

This reluctance to use terms that sharply divide God is commendable; however, person is itself such a word. Webster defines person as "an individual human being" and "the individual personality of a human being."

This is not just a mere quibble over terminology; for throughout the history of trinitarianism, many trinitarians have interpreted the concept of person practically, and even theologically, to mean three beings. For example, the three Cappadocians of the fourth century (Gregory of Nyssa, Gregory Nazianzus, and Basil of Caesarea) emphasized the threeness of the trinity to the point that they had three personalities. Boethius (c. 480 - c. 524) defined person as an "individual substance with a rational nature." From medieval times to the present trinitarians have often represented the trinity by a picture of three men, or by a picture of an old man, a young man, and a dove.

Today in trinitarian Pentecostal circles there is a concept of the Godhead that implies outright tritheism. This is evident from the following statements made by three trinitarian Pentecostals - a prominent Bible annotater, a prominent evangelist, and an author.

"What we mean by Divine Trinity is that there are three separate and distinct persons in the Godhead, each one having His own personal spirit body, personal soul, and personal spirit in the same sense each human being, angel or any other being has his own body, soul, and spirit… Thus there are three separate persons in divine individuality and divine plurality… The word God is used either as a singular or a plural word, like sheep"

"Thus there are three separate persons in divine individuality and divine plurality… Individually each is called God; collectively they can be spoken of as one God because of their perfect unity… Everything that could pertain to God collectively could also apply equally to each member of the Godhead as individuals. However there are some particulars which relate to each individual person of the deity as to position, office, and work that could not be attributed to either of the other members of the Godhead."

The third trinitarian Pentecostal, an author, quotes a definition of person from Webster's Dictionary: "a particular individual." He then gives his own definition: "A person is one who has intellect, sensibility, and will." He attempts to reconcile trinitarian usage of the word person.

"When person is applied to any created being, it represents an individual absolutely separate from all others; but when applied to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, person must be qualified so as to exclude a separate existence, for while the three are distinct, they are inseparable - one God. Nevertheless, with this qualification, person remains the term which most nearly enunciates the permanent mode of existence within the Godhead."

It is apparent that many trinitarians interpret their doctrine to mean three personalities, three beings, three minds, three wills, or three bodies in the Godhead. They deny that by person they mean only manifestations, roles, or relationships with man. Instead, they defend an eternal threeness of essence while admitting it to be an incomprehensible mystery. They reduce the concept of God's oneness to a unity of plural persons. By their definition, they convert monotheism into a form of polytheism, differing from pagan polytheism only in that there is perfect agreement and unity among the gods. Regardless of trinitarian denials, this is polytheism - tritheism to be exact - and not the monotheism taught by the Bible and upheld by Judaism.

Problems with Subordinationism

Trinitarians also deny any form of subordination of one person to another in power or eternality. However, they often say God the Father is the head of the trinity, God the Son is begotten by the Father, and the Spirit proceeds from the Father or Son or both. Again, they insist there is no contradiction, because our finite minds simply cannot comprehend the fulness of meaning described by these relationships.

We find, however, that throughout history prominent trinitarians have interpreted their own doctrine in a way that subordinates Jesus Christ or makes him inferior. Tertullian, the first prominent exponent of trinitarianism, taught that the Son was subordinate to the Father and that the trinity is not eternal. He taught that the Son did not exist as a separate person in the beginning, but was begotten by the Father to accomplish the creation of the world. Furthermore, Tertullian held that the distinction of persons would cease in the future. Origen, the first great proponent of trinitarianism in the East, also saw the Son as subordinate to the Father in existence and he even maintained that prayer should be addressed to the Father alone. Both men meant the deity of Christ when they used the term Son. It can, therefore, be said that trinitarianism began as a doctrine that subordinated Jesus to God.

In modern trinitarian circles, there is a form of subordinationism when trinitarians use the human limitations of Christ to prove a distinction between God the Father and "God the Son" instead of simply a distinction between Christ's divine nature (Father) and His human nature (Son). For example, note their use of Christ's prayers, lack of knowledge, and lack of power to prove "God the Son" is different from God the Father. Even while asserting the co-equality of the Son and the Father, they often deny it in a practical way and confess they do not understand what it really means.

Oneness believers state that the Son was subordinate to the Father. However, they do not believe that Jesus is subordinate to the Father in the sense trinitarians do. Rather, they mean that Jesus in His human role as the Son was subordinate and limited, but Jesus in His divine role as the Father was not subordinate or limited. In other words, the human nature of Jesus was subordinate to the divine nature of Jesus. By separating Father and Son into separate persons, trinitarians deny that Jesus is the Father, thereby inevitably detracting from the full deity of Jesus. Despite their denials, in effect their doctrine subordinates Jesus to the Father in deity.

Non-biblical Terminology

There are severe problems with trinitarian terminology. First, the Bible nowhere uses the word trinity. The word three does not appear in relation to God in any translation of the Bible except the King James Version, and only once in that translation - in the doubtful verse of I John 5:7. Even this passage reads, "these three are one."

The word person does not appear in relation to God either, except twice in the KJV. Job 13:8 refers to showing partiality. Hebrews 1:3 says the Son is the express image of God's own person (meaning nature or substance), not a second person. The Bible never uses the plural word persons to describe God. (The only possible exception, Job 13:10, would demolish trinitarianism if it applies to God!)

In short, as many trinitarian scholars admit, the Bible does not explicitly express the doctrine of the trinity.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states: "There is the recognition on the part of exegetes and Biblical theologians… that one should not speak of Trinitarianism in the New Testament without serious qualifications… New Testament exegesis is now accepted as having shown that not only the verbal idiom but even the patterns of thought characteristic of the patristic [church fathers] and concilian [church councils] development would have been quite foreign to the mind and culture of the New Testament writers."

The trinitarian Protestant theologian Emil Brunner has stated, "The doctrine of the Trinity itself, however, is not a Biblical doctrine and this indeed not by accident but of necessity. It is the product of theological reflection upon the problem…. The ecclesiastical doctrine of the Trinity is not only the product of genuine Biblical thought, it is also the product of philosophical speculation, which is remote from the thought of the Bible."

Historical Development of Trinitarianism

If trinitarianism does not come from the Bible, where did it originate? There is no question that Christian trinitarianism developed over several centuries of time after the New Testament was written. According to The New Catholic Encyclopedia, historians of dogma and systematic theologians recognize "that when one does speak of an unqualified Trinitarianism, one has moved from the period of Christian origins to, say, the last quadrant of the 4th century… From what has been seen thus far, the impression could arise that the Trinitarian dogma is in the last analysis a late 4th century invention. In a sense, this is true but it implies an extremely strict interpretation of the key words Trinitarian and dogma… The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma."

We will briefly trace the historical development of this doctrine in Christendom, but first let us explore some pagan roots and parallels of trinitarianism.

Pagan Roots and Parallels

Trinitarian scholar Alexander Hislop asserts that - the Babylonians worshiped one God in three persons and used the equilateral triangle as a symbol of this trinity. In his book, Hislop shows pictures used in ancient Assyria and in Siberia to represent triune divinities. He also finds trinitarian ideas in the Babylonian cult of the father, mother, and child, saying that the Babylonian trinity was "the Eternal Father, the Spirit of God incarnate in a human mother, and a Divine Son, the fruit of that incarnation."

Historian Will Durant describes the trinity in ancient Egypt. "Ra, Amon, and another god, Ptah, were combined as three embodiments or aspects of one supreme and triune deity." Egypt also had a divine trinity of father, mother, and son in Osiris, Isis, and Horus.

Trinities exist in other important pagan religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism. Hinduism has had a supreme trinity from ancient times: Brahma the Creator, Shiva the Destroyer, and Vishnu the Preserver. One scholar described the belief: "Brahman-Atman, the impersonal ultimate reality achieves a religiously significant threefold manifestation or trimurti [triad of gods] through the three personal deities who represent the divine functions of creation, destruction, and preservation respectively." This trinity is sometimes represented by a statue of one god with three heads.

Buddhism also has a trinity of sorts. The Mahayana (northern) school of Buddhism has the doctrine of a "triple body" or Trikaya. According to this belief there are three "bodies" of the Buddha-reality. The first is the eternal, cosmical reality, the second is the heavenly manifestation of the first, and the third is the earthly manifestation of the second. Furthermore, many Buddhists worship three-headed statues of Buddha.

Taoism, the ancient mystical religion of China, has an official trinity of supreme gods - the Jade Emperor, Lao Tzu, and Ling Pao - called the Three Purities.

A philosophic trinity appears in Plato and becomes very significant in Neo-Platonism. [89] Of course, Greek philosophy, particularly Platonic and Neo-Platonic thought, had a major influence on the theology of the ancient church. For example, the trinitarian Logos doctrine stems from the Neo-Platonic philosopher Philo. Thus, we can see that the idea of a trinity did not originate with Christendom. It was a significant feature of pagan religions and philosophies before the Christian era, and its existence today in various forms suggests an ancient, pagan origin.

Post-apostolic Developments

The Scriptures do not teach the doctrine of the trinity, but trinitarianism has its roots in paganism. How, then, did this pagan doctrine find its way into Christendom? For an answer to this question, we have relied primarily on Lutheran seminary professors Otto Heick and E. H. Klotsche, Yale University professor of church history Roland Bainton, university professor John Noss, noted philosopher-historian Will Durant, and the Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics.

In Chapter 10 - ONENESS BELIEVERS IN CHURCH HISTORY, we noted that the early post-apostolic fathers (90 - 140 A.D.) did not embrace the idea of a trinity. On the contrary, they emphasized Old Testament monotheism, the deity of Christ, and the humanity of Christ. The Greek apologists (130 - 180 A.D.) also emphasized the oneness of God. However, some of them moved towards trinitarianism.

This trend toward trinitarianism began by making the Logos (the Word of John 1) a separate person. Following a thought in Greek philosophy, particularly in the teachings of Philo, some of the Greek apologists began to view the Logos as a separate person from the Father. This was not trinitarianism, however, but a form of binitarianism, and one that subordinated the Logos to the Father. To them the Father alone was the real God and the Logos was a created divine being of second rank. Eventually, the Logos became equated with the Son. Apparently, the triune baptismal formula became a practice among some Christian churches, although the few early references to it may be either recitations of Matthew 28:19 or interpolations added by later copyists. Moreover, during this time, an apologist named Theophilus used the word triad (triados) to describe God. However; he probably did not use it to signify a trinity of persons but rather a triad of God's activities.

Irenaeus (died c. 200) is often considered the first true theologian of this time. He emphasized the manifestation of God in Christ for the sake of redemption. Some scholars have characterized Irenaeus' beliefs as "economic trinitarianism." By this they mean he did not believe in an eternal trinity or a trinity of essence but only a trinity that is temporary in nature - probably a trinity of God's activity or operations only. Irenaeus, who did not use the Greek Logos doctrine, identified the Logos with the Father. His theology had three key characteristics: a strong biblical emphasis, a reverence for apostolic tradition, and a strong Christocentric emphasis. It seems he was not a true trinitarian but at most a transitional figure.

In summary, in the first century after the apostles, the doctrine of the trinity had not even developed. However, in some circles a form of subordinationistic binitarianism emerged based on Greek philosophical ideas, a doctrine denounced in the first chapter of John's Gospel. The New Catholic Encyclopedia says of trinitarianism at this time in church history: "Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective; among the second century Apologists, little more than a focusing of the problem as that of plurality within the unique Godhead… In the last analysis, the second century theological achievement was limited… A trinitarian solution was still in the future."

Tertullian - the Father Of Christian Trinitarianism

Tertullian (c. 150 - c. 225 A.D.) was the first person recorded by history to use the words trinity (Latin: trinitas), substance (substantia), and person (persona) in relation to God. [92] He was the first to speak of three persons in one substance (Latin: una substantia et tres personae). Tertullian adhered to the economic conception of the trinity. That is, he believed that the trinity exists for the purpose of revelation only, and after this has been accomplished the distinctions between the persons will cease. However, he definitely differed from Irenaeus in that he used the Logos doctrine of the Greek apologists. Tertullian equated the Logos with the Son. He believed the Father brought the Logos into existence for the creation of the world and the Logos was subordinate to the Father. The doctrine of the trinity posed no problem for Tertullian, for his whole theology rested on the thought that the more impossible the object of faith is, the more certain it is. He has been characterized by the statement, "I believe because it is absurd."

There is some question as to what Tertullian actually meant by his trinitarian formulation, especially his use of the Latin word persona. According to a handbook of theological terms, in Roman law the word meant a legal entity or party. In drama it meant a mask worn by an actor or, by extension, a role played by an actor. Neither usage necessarily indicates the modern meaning of person as a self-conscious being. For example, one actor could play several roles (personae) and one legal corporation (persona) could consist of several individuals. On the other hand, presumably the word could also designate individual human beings.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service