How does tithing fit into a believers life?

Is it a must in a believer's life as a Christian?

Do non-Christians tithe?

If, it is , Why?

Where did the Tithe Come From?

Brenice

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Distortion of the Word of God in order to extort money from the people of God. Instead of relying on God to bless their ministries, Pastors rely on the people to keep their lights on, drive fancy cars, wear $200 suits, etc: I note instead of posting scripture you post a video to support your lie.

we should first define what we mean by the word "tithe." The Greek and Hebrew words for "tithe" literally mean "tenth" (according to Strong's Dictionary), so the basic meaning of tithing involves giving 10% of something. Therefore, if I choose to give 10% of my paycheck to my church then I have given a "tithe" according to the most basic definition of that word. The New Testament tells us to give generously (as we will see later), and my 10% offering would certainly qualify as generous giving.

However, many churches teach that Christians must give 10% of their paychecks to their local church, otherwise they are robbing God and shutting off the flow of God's blessings. So when Christians talk about "tithing," they're usually referring to this idea that giving 10% of every paycheck to our local church is a Scriptural requirement or a Scriptural principle which Christians should be following.

Passages on Tithing

In order to determine whether or not Christians must tithe, we should prayerfully study everything that Scripture tells us about tithing. Our job is made easier by the fact that the Old Testament Law of Moses (with its commandments and regulations) was completely abolished and canceled at the cross:

Ephesians 2:13: "But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ."
Ephesians 2:14: "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,"
Ephesians 2:15: "by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace"

Colossians 2:13: "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,"
Colossians 2:14: "having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."

We are not under the Law of Moses, and therefore we are not obligated to obey any of the commands in the Law. So in order to prove or disprove tithing for Christians, we need to find our Scriptural support outside of the Law. Here is every passage on tithing before the Law of Moses began and after it ended at the cross:

Genesis 14:17: "After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley)."
Genesis 14:18: "Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High,"
Genesis 14:19: "and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth."
Genesis 14:20: "And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything."

Genesis 28:20: "Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear"
Genesis 28:21: "so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God"
Genesis 28:22: "and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.""

Hebrews 6:20: "where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."
Hebrews 7:1: "This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him,"
Hebrews 7:2: "and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, his name means "king of righteousness"; then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace.""
Hebrews 7:3: "Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever."
Hebrews 7:4: "Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder!"
Hebrews 7:5: "Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people--that is, their brothers--even though their brothers are descended from Abraham."
Hebrews 7:6: "This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises."
Hebrews 7:7: "And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater."
Hebrews 7:8: "In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living."
Hebrews 7:9: "One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham,"
Hebrews 7:10: "because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor."
Hebrews 7:11: "If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come--one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?"
Hebrews 7:12: "For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law."

Since these passages are the only places in the Bible where tithing is mentioned before the Law of Moses began or after it ended, these are the only passages of Scripture on tithing which might have a bearing on Christians. Remember, we are not obligated to obey the rules and regulations in the Law of Moses because those commandments were totally abolished at the cross.

Now, are you going to support your tithe with scripture or are you going to submit to the word of GOD.
This is something to reflect on , also!

g my views to the Word of God
Sunday, March 05, 2006
Tithing in the Ante-Nicene Period: The Second Century (Part 2)
Irenaeus’ (130–200 A.D.) Against Heresies gives an early account of the law-gospel relationship. Even though in Against Heresies Irenaeus said “instead of the law enjoining the giving of tithes,” the context shows that Irenaeus was referring to Jesus’ widening of the law for Christians, not abrogating it. Furthermore, Irenaeus also said “instead of adultery” and “instead of murder.” If by “instead of” he meant that Jesus abolished the law, then he was permitting adultery and murder. While Jesus’ understanding of adultery and murder was stricter than the rabbinic understanding, He still forbade adultery and murder. Therefore, this passage appears to contain evidence that Irenaeus believes that Jesus did something to the law of tithing, but not necessarily that he abrogated it. Irenaeus also says that the Jews gave tithes, “but those who have received liberty set aside all their possessions for the Lord’s purposes.” The editor, in a footnote, said, “The law of tithes abrogated; the law of Acts. ii. 44, 45, morally binding. This seems to be our author’s view.” In this text, Irenaeus places the relationship between tithing and Christianity in contrast (“but”). Finally, he states what is obligatory for Christians: “We are bound . . . to offer to God the first fruits of His creation.” Irenaeus’ focus was on Christians giving abundantly. Powers (somewhat pro-tithing) concluded, “the whole spirit of Irenaeus was that the law of the tithe had been abrogated” and Feinberg said that the church fathers, including Irenaeus, emphasized Christian freedom in giving. Murray said that Irenaeus rejected tithing as a giving paradigm for Christianity; he did not consider tithing the starting point but instead he emphasized giving and sharing on a communal level. Finally, Vischer concluded, “Irenaeus thus regards the commandment to tithe as a preliminary stage. Christ has led us beyond this.”

Resources and References:

Irenaeus, Against Heresies 4.13 (ANF 1:477); 4.18.2 (ANF 1:485).

For more on Irenaeus’ view of the Mosaic law, see Against Heresies 4.13.3 (ANF 1:477).

Powers, “Historical Study of the Tithe,” 21.

C. L. Feinberg, “Tithe,” in The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible, 5 vols., ed. Merrill C. Tenney (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1975), 5:758.

Murray, Beyond Tithing, 99–101, 106.

Vischer, Tithing in the Early Church, 14.
Posted by dacroteau at 2:50 PM
In Hebrew 7 If you count how many times the scriptures refer to the Priesthood 60 or MORE times It is talking about the CHANGE of Priesthood! No where in the bible does it say to stop paying tithes!
Tithing is not required of the Levi's to collect anymore because the Priesthood is changed to Jesus Christ. Tithing Is God Money. 10% If you don't want to tithe and don't believe it's required than that's between you and God. God Bless!
the bible does say we are not saved by the Law,tithing was a law given to national Israel,NOT THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCHES... UNLESS YOU CAN SHOW ME IN THE NEW COVENENT WHERE GOD SAYS GIVE 10%
@preacher
the law has never been annuled,as a matter of fact jesus(matt5:17-19) saids as long as there a heaven and a earth that the law will in "NO WISE" pass, the same Paul in which we mis qoute (or wrest to our own destruction 2 Peter 3:15-16) said in the 7th romans that the law is just and holy and good Romans 7:12

Romans 3:31
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
you said: @preacher
the law has never been annuled

Ephesians 2:15
by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace,
jesus is our sacrificial lamb, hence the only law he ablolished was the animal sacrifice law
Leviticus
Chapter 4
1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them:3 If the priest that is anointed do sin according to the sin of the people; then let him bring for his sin, which he hath sinned, a young bullock without blemish unto the LORD for a sin offering.

so seeing this we understand that it was the law that if someone sin thru ignorance,he should sacrifice a lamb without blemish ,for there sin

OK lets look at the only prophecy of the messiah making any law being ended

Daniel
Chapter 9
26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
you said " OK lets look at the only prophecy of the messiah making any law being ended"

the fact is the whole bible speaks of Jesus...from Gen-Rev
Money Money Money....
So people are paying to be saved now? WOW when did that start? Satan is really busy..
GB
I hope not! They would never be saved if that is what their doctrine is. We know that there is only one way and that is to be born again in the spirit of Yahweh through His Son Yahshua's sacrifice!
Amen..

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service