I have faith, I think?
I am going through a difficult time financially. I have been out of work, that is full time work for over a year. I am a professional. I am educated and skilled. I have been doing what I do for more than a quarter a century. I do not have a job. I am at the level of money called broke.
I have moments of worry and doubt. I have moments of highs and moments of lows. My high moments come when I get an interview and the possibility of qualified work and my low moments creep in when I go to the mail box and I find another bill I can not pay. Highs and lows are a part of life and I believe they are natural. Faith on the other hand is not natural. My mind has to wrap itself around a concept, “...the evidence of things not seen...”.
People are welded to their five senses and the evidence they present to the body. Most of our senses are tied to our heads, sight, hearing, smell, taste while touch is all over our body. The eyes and ears tend to link together in our processing center. Smell and taste are physically linked and one can heighten or fool the other as in the apple – pear test. Touch is tricky. From the top of your head to the bottom of your feet it varies in degree. Some areas of the body are more sensitive than others, yet those areas are not used in exploring the world for a variety of reasons pain being the biggest reason to not expose those areas to the world.
For reasons more than the word 'seen' implies we fail in faith. Actually all of our senses come into play at all times. Our sensorium is the areas of the brain that process and register incoming sensory information and make possible the conscious awareness of the world and when we are aware there is the tendency to deny any thing that is not processed through that area. That is my humble estimation is being human, it is what people do, automatically, without external influence. What people do not do is that which is learned. Faith is a learned behavior.
What we do with behaviors, is dependent on multiple factors some which we control and a few we do not. How well we learn is dependent on the educating procedure. It can be formal, informal or a mixture of both. Early Christianity was informal, education was by word of mouth and example.
Rom 10:8 But what does it say? The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart: that is, the word of faith of which we are the preachers:
The early Christians had no New Testament. Scripture is the Old Testament writings and the spoken words followed by the epistles that were written and shared. Their faith was created and grew by the evidence of things not seen as they were beyond the days of Jesus but they grew in faith as they looked about at the substance of things hoped for that appeared in their lives. They extended their trust.
Faith is implied trust, trust is allowing one's self to be manipulated in someway by one or more others. Faith implies that one expects no harm to ensue from the manipulation. Defining the untranslated Greek evidence is proof or conviction and it also gets translated as assurance.
It there evidence in my life of what God has done for me, to me, and with me of course there is. Can I turn and show others the proof of what has been done for me, is it part of my witness, my story. Can I with the conviction of my life show to anyone that with Jesus in my life I have a better life.
Faith is also “...the substance of things hoped for...” again in the Greek we find that it is a restatement of assurance. So we get the assurance and conviction of what is not seen but hoped for but one who has faith in Jesus. This whole exercise in verbal manipulation is so that maybe I can overcome my “humanness”. I had a person pass through my life who warned me not to be intellectual about scripture. Being intellectual is the nature of this beast. It is not that the thinking excludes feeling but is spiritual connection, that sentiment that leads to a reaction based on the impression given by the indwelling spirit. The greater the spiritual connection the greater the faith, yes?
It is hard for the human to just believe.

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is hard for the human to just believe. Because they are uniformed of what the Bible actually has to say, too many preachers want to tell you what is on their mind.

Faith in what? If it is the blood of Jesus, then to be under the blood you must keep the commandments. The faith is that what you read in the Bible is true. How I know this is because Paul was encountered with this question?

Romans 3:29-31 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Definition of sin by the Bible: 1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Definition of sin by the dictionary:Sin: (n.) transgression of divine law:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sin
Faith is believing in whatever. It has nothing to do with the bible, Jews, Christians or any other specific religious entity.

Faith is just believing.

What separates me and others who are Christian (Jew, Muslem, etc.) is that I believe in the risen Jesus.
The Blood was shed to absolve my and our sin. The body had to be human in order to be broken so The spirit of God was incarnate in the flesh of Jesus. So whenever we celebrate this fact with the blood and flesh of Jesus.
Our Communion with Jesus is our way of honoring the sacrifice

And when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 1 Corinthians 11:24 (NIV)
# A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 1 Corinthians 11:28 (NIV)

# In observing Communion we are proclaiming His death until He comes. It is, then, a statement of faith:

For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. 1 Corinthians 11:26

The dictionary definition of sin is technically correct but it does not recognized the original and only sin and that is disobedience by the three parties, The Serpent, Adam and Eve. Each and every case of sin is a case of disobedience to God.
People attempt to make what they did the sin. As a way of excusing or blaming.

Rom 3:29-31 is not about Law.
You have to continue reading through to get what Paul is writing to the Hebrews in Rome, he is not promoting Judaism, uh, duh, he was converted on the Damascus road --- from being a Jew. In no way is he trying to convert Gentiles into Jews, if kept in the context of his letter that is clear.

The first epistle of John is not The Bible. The 3rd chapter and the 4th verse is not definitive of the whole bible. Again reading all of the chapter shows that is not purpose of John to promote Jewish Law.
@ Rev Z62 You have no understanding at all Brother.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

2Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Exodus 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

1John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

John 14:14-15 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
You are so right.

I do not understand how you continue to do the same thing and expect different results, or in this case any results.

What don't I understand???
Can you spell it out without listing a bunch of verses with no explanation. While you mat string them together as if you are saying something YOU STILL MISS THE POINT, You are talking loud and saying nothing.
Isaiah, Peter,Exodus,John, OT NT OT NT,
Verses that what ??

Yes if I read them together I do see what you think you are saying but that is not what the verse you strung together mean.and it is their intrinsic meaning that matters not the idiotic way you put them together. It reminds me of something we did as kids with the names of the soap operas, turning the titles into sentences .... As the World Turns All My Children were gathered at General Hospital,
That is what you are dong and think you are communicating, you are not.

Each of those verses are out of context,not holding the original meaning to the original audience or to the audience you are trying to reach, me, so in that respect you are so right I do not understand because you are talking gibberish, not the verses you put down but the meaning you actually believe you are transmitting.

You need to pull in one of your Elders into this conversation, I believe they will set you on the correct path. I honestly can see your belief and sincerity but I also see you lack of ability to say it so it communicates.
Basically you are telling me that the Bible has no baring on what is going on today. You are telling me that there is no prophecy in the Bible, yet people believe in Notradamus.
NO, basically I am telling you to get someone more learned than you in this conversation.
I not only refer to other written sources but to others more knowledgeable than I, ain 't no shame in my game, if I don't know I ask, in no way do I ever want to transmit wrong info.
RevZ62,

You are talking to a BRICK WALL.

When a person thinks Gabriel is the Holy Spirit and salvation comes upon his physical death - what does that tell you?????
"...Faith on the other hand is not natural. My mind has to wrap itself around a concept, “...the evidence of things not seen...”.

This is a true saying. Amen indeed.
I have been through some absolutely frightening times - whether it was physical illness or financial disaster. And in those times I have had to go to another place - if you get my drift. Sometimes things become that confusing and scary.
I had to get beyond the natural and go deep in God. I mean I hid myself in Him and totally ignored the circumstances or what was going on in this natural realm. And all I can say to that is - He has been faithful - right when I think I cant take anymore - He has been more than faithful.
Some times the Lord allows us to go through things so that we can have a better testimony to share with others - thus our Heavenly Father gets the praise.

I love this saying: Faith is like a muscle - It must be excercised.

You will come out of this stronger - just know that our God sits high but He looks low.
After all - its all about Him.
Like Newview, I have been through some rough times - living in an apartment facing eviction, no electricity for 3 months, etc.

But, through it all, I continued to stand on my faith, believing that God will bring me through. I did not allow my suffering to hinder my ministry. I would not allow anything or anyone to stand in my way when serving God. I later learned that my suffering was and is for someone else. Like Newview stated, it is a testimony to be shared with others who are facing similar hard times.

Oh, but when deliverance comes . . .PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY! It is not easy to describe in words the peace and blessings that begin to flow, even to this day from 7 years ago.

Be encouraged Rev., this too will pass.
"...Oh, but when deliverance comes . . .PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY!..."

Sis, those words almost bring me to tears.
One would have to really go through something to KNOW what you are talking about...
Oh, but when deliverance comes . . .PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY!

Just think, to have Almighty God step out of eternity to intervene on your behalf, my O my...
Its sweeter because you look back after it is all over and see how He was with you even in that deep dark valley and guided you out -----> just so that you could praise Him.
Its all about Him.

May His Name be blessed forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Lord is not a respecter of persons. Sorry. No personal savior.
Two things mixed up in a mixed up mind.

Two separate translations may make it clearer what that means.
New International Version (©1984)
But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.

New Living Translation (©2007)
But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. You are guilty of breaking the law.

Other places and these are not all wherein respect of persons is noted.
Deu 1:17 Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; ye shall hear the small and the great alike; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you ye shall bring unto me, and I will hear it.

2Ch 19:7 Now therefore let the fear of Jehovah be upon you; take heed and do it: for there is no iniquity with Jehovah our God, nor respect of persons, nor taking of bribes.

Rom 2:11 for there is no respect of persons with God.

Jas 2:9 but if ye have respect of persons, ye commit sin, being convicted by the law as transgressors.

Jud 1:16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their lusts (and their mouth speaketh great swelling words), showing respect of persons for the sake of advantage.

You are correct in one respect, if you have not accepted Jesus as Lord of your life then you have no personal Savior, BUT I DO !!!!!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service