Many of us have been fervently praying that God would turn the church upside down and vigorously shake it (Heb 12:25-29). When this happens, those who love money and have lost their grip on the truth will be the first to fall.

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AMEN!!!!
Paul said, “There is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.” But then he warned against the desire to be rich. And by implication, he warned against preachers who stir up the desire to be rich instead of helping people get rid of it. He warned, “Those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs” (1 Timothy 6:6-10).
1Timothy 3:1-8 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
Bro.Watson, your points are strong and valid. The prosperity preaching that you hear on TBN and others as you described above is "junk preaching." There are no many people mismanaging their finances while playing the lottos, football boards, and the like and expect God to bless them "just for having the faith of a mustard seed."

There are those who simply do not want to learn how to manage their finances and live within their means. How many times have you heard some people speak this particular word to death:

"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches and glory in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19 KJV

And yet, they can't figure out why they are still in lack. They are still wondering why God has not increased their "one talent." (Matthew 15:24-27)
Bro. Watson,

Altlhough my comments were under Chaplain Harris' they weren't in response to any particular person so you can't really say that I said you that you said anything ... kind of a tongue twister there.

Trevor.... you said what I was trying to say just with much more finesse.

Wealth is not the root of all evil it is the love of it. For that matter, worshipping anything other than the Lord God... is ... well you know the rest of that don't you?

It is not the possession (lack of or abundance of) that makes a person less or more useful nor humble before the Lord. It is the HEART of that person that God examines.

Again... it is the heart of the person who has or has not that God examines.

When fighting against lust and greed as if it will just go away reminds me of a scene in the Matrix Reloaded movie. It continues to multiply and multiply more and more and is evident in so many areas. But verse one in 2 Timothy 3 tells us why it keeps multiplying...

Does this mean turn a blind eye... nope it just means be aware of what is happening and why.

Greed touches the heart of some and they succomb to it.. others fight against it....

I did that last last week! Just call me "Apostle Neo"! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Now with all that said by our sister, I must AGAIN ask: "I would like the definition of the Prosperity doctrine or Prosperity Gospel that you call a Heresy."

Instead of much bashing, please bring much understanding to the table by giving a CLEAR CUT EXPLANATION BACKED BY SCRIPTURE. If not, then how can one defend their position, or another even know what is right and wrong here?
Trevor,

My ONLY problem with the prosperity teachings of today is that it COULD teach the people to be coveteous and lend itself to greed.... my MAIN point to all is that whether poor or wealthy... God looks at the HEART ... the motive behind wanting wealth and the motive behind what you do with wealth if you have it.

If I believed prosperity was wrong then I would sell ALL THAT I HAVE AND GIVE TO THE POOR. But I'm not doing that just for the sake of doing it. You feel me?

My problem with the preaching of prosperity is simply the WORSHIP of it. When your only focus is how you will store up for yourself things on earth and not seeking the Lord (Matt 6:33) then you are unbalanced and may fall into greed. I'm all FOR prosperity... just preach it with balanced teaching.

LUKE 12:13-21 (NASB)
Covetousness Denounced

13 Someone in the crowd said to Him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me."

14 But He said to him, "Man, who appointed Me a judge or arbitrator over you?"

15 Then He said to them, "Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions."

16 And He told them a parable, saying, "The land of a rich man was very productive.

17 "And he began reasoning to himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?'

18 "Then he said, 'This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.

19 'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry."'

20 "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?'

21 "So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Being prosperous in and of itself was not this man's problem. His problem was that he was not "rich towards God". Can you imagine how wonderful it would be if all who had great wealth also were led by the Holy Spirit as to how to get more as well as what to do with it??!!!
The man was more focused on his STUFF and how please he was with all HIS stuff than he was on the Lord
My comments weren't actually directed towards you, but thanks for the reply anyway.
Amen, Chaplain you did! sometimes all one needs is the gospel stated, not a dissertation(opinion) point is clear, prosperity in Christ Jesus is not heresy.

Newview, I hate to sound callous, but Mother's feet were deformed because she allowed it, her reasoning was noble, but her deformed feet is not an example for others, she will recieve her reward. I pray YOU are wearing your right size shoe

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service