Should a pastor that spends most of his time preaching and teaching get paid for what God has him to do? I know what the scriptures says about this, but would you pastor for free?

Views: 2782

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have done the same just as well, from the very beginning of my salvation, Bro John. I do not twist scripture at all. I did not sit under a leadership that preachers money money money. In fact, the ministry I sat under was a Church that was mission's based, and ordained Evangelists, Pastors Teachers and Missionaries like it was a factory! The funds that we made not only went into preaching the Gospel heavy out here, but also were sent overseas to places like Liberia, India, the Philippines to name a few.

Money is not my love, it is a very valuable tool/resource. If you all want to work without such tools/resources, then be my guest. But even the funds that I earn don't go to cars houses and airplanes and diamonds for me. They go to missions work. GOD said in HIS word that HE gives seed to the sower. The more of a sower you are, the more seed you can expect from GOD, and both you and the people eat from the fruit of it, be it spiritual or natural things. You keep on saying I'm twisting scripture or whatever, but Paul CLEARLY said "Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel", and "If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things". Why are these being ignored? You say that you live by and study the Bible, yet I seem to be the only one quote scripture to back up my point, while you come with reason.
It's all good Brother Trevor. Remember you can quote scripture but you have to understand what that scripture means by God and not by us. I am so thankful to God to finally hear you say the purpose you use the funds your receive. I truly believe this is the purpose if you receive funds is to provide for ministering, providing food and shelter needs for others that need these things. Just not for the ministers pockets for himself. Trevor if you notice the seed He gives to His sower is the Word. This seed/Word is planted in people to become believers and they are the fruit that you gather. I wish you continued success in God's work that you do Brother Trevor. God bless.
You make a strong point Evangelist, however Paul chose not to exercise this right. He had the liberty, yet literally chose not to so that the gospel would not be seen as just a money maker for him in that area. Some are weak in the faith and others are just looking for an excuse to accuse a minister, and so therefore he forfeited it.

Its not robbery for a person to gain from the work of the ministry at all, for you bypassed Paul's words in that chapter as well as others:

1st Corinthians 9:6-11 "Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working? Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?"

1st Timothy 5:17-18 "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

If a Minister of the Gospel is just plain robbing the people, then ok, all that you spoke of applies. However, GOD's word does allow for a Minister of the Gospel to live off of the Gospel, as Paul clearly said in 1st Corinthians 9:14. I didn't twist a scripture here, just merely quoted the Apostle.
Brother Trevor you can quote scripture but you have to understand it! We've gone through this before. In 1Corinthians 9:11, Paul is saying what right do I have to sow unto you spiritual things and then take your money or material things? Otherwords, that's not right!

In 1Timothy 5:17 -18 once again reference Luke 10:7 and you'll see Jesus is not talking about money. It is we in the flesh that want to substitue food and shelter with money. We use the excuse of "we are not in those days so today it's money." We substitute "wages" to mean money because that's what we call money when we are paid at a job. We substitue labourer to mean to spread His Gospel as a hireling instead of being blessed to spread His Word as a servant.

Now in verse 14 in 1Corinthians once again you are taking "should live of the gospel" to say "should live off the gospel". These are two different meanings. The one in verse 14 is saying to live according to the gospel and you are saying to live off of the gospel. Verse 14 Referrences Roman 10:15 and it has nothing to do with living OFF the gospel. God bless.
You said :"Now in verse 14 in 1Corinthians once again you are taking "should live of the gospel" to say "should live off the gospel". These are two different meanings."

this whole chapter is talking about his rights as an Apostle in the Lord's church, and his right to not only marry, but to earn a living off of his work for the Gospel. verse after verse he speaks of this. It cannot be denied.
It's all good Trevor just read verse 18 or say 16 through 19. Now gain in verse 19 means win as in souls. I'm serious Brother Trevor I pray that God continues to bless you in what you do for Him.
I have this one in my library. This Brother tells it like it is and I have to respect this. Thanks for posting this one. But they don't hear you though! LOL God bless you.
Amen Rev Luckett, Amen!
1st Peter 5:2 feed the flock of God that is among you, overseeing not constrainedly, but willingly, neither for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind,
Corinthians 11:13-15 says, “For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness . . .”

So the internal call should be a continuing aspiration. Without choosing to think about it you find it keeps surfacing in your thoughts. The more you wish to ignore the possibility that God is calling you, the more preoccupied you become with it.

This aspiration for the Gospel ministry is also self-sacrificing. You feel drawn to preach God's Word, not for what it will do for you, but because you long to glorify God through the proclamation of His Gospel, the conversion of souls, and the building up of His church.

1 Timothy 6
1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honor, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed. 2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.
3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

2nd Corinthians 2:17 For we( true children of God ) are not like the great number who make use of the word of God for profit: but our words are true, as from God, being said as before God in Christ.

2 Peter2:3And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

1st Peter 5:2 feed the flock of God that is among you, overseeing not constrainedly, but willingly, neither for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind,
I just a little confused what he was saying was very true, but no where did he say that the church should not take care of the pastor like many here have been suggesting. He did say that the preacher should not try to manipulate the people, just serve God and everything else will be taking care of.
So since Paul said what he did in 1Corinthians 9:18 and not specifically say "the church should not take care of the pastor" you will take the lack of not being said like that as it's OK?
Its not fair to take one verse from Apostle Paul in your defense, when the entire chapter speaks on the subject and does not fully support your view.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service