I was in a discussion with someone and the subject of should a church tithe to another church or the spiritual parents of the pastors.
Is this something we were taught or is their a scripture base behind it?
Malachi 3:10 says we are to bring it in God's house to take care of the needs of church and the people in need as the early church in acts.
I would love the views and the opinions of other Pastors.

Views: 1119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Blessings to all .
Please note the following from Genesis 14:
Abram, with 318 of his men, went after the four kings who spoiled the king of Sodom and the king of Gomorrah. Abram defeated those kings, and set his nephew Lot free. On the way back with all the spoils of war, the king of Sodom met Abram in the king’s valley. Here a mysterious king of Salem, priest of the God Most High, brought out bread and wine and blessed Abram. Abram then gave a tenth of those spoils to this King, Melchizedek.
There is nothing here to indicate Abram gave a tenth of his personal possessions. Note Abram said to the King of Sodom in verse 23" , I will take nothing that is yours" and in fact gave all of the spoils away .
This shows that:
a) He did not tithe his own possessions.
b) He ended up giving away 100% of what he had gotten in battle.

It should also be noted, these spoils went to this mysterious king of Salem, not to a pastor, denominational headquarters, etc. There is not one record that Abram did anything like this again. so it was a One-time occurance!

How then can we use this scripture to justify a system of 'tithing' in the church?
Well said! I was taught from my birth into Christ that you can't "pay" God tithes. How can you pay Him anything when He owns it all? But you can "sow" your tithes.
We are told it is better to give than to receive. So really if you are in a position to give to a church that is in need, well the book tells you to do so. But here is a better question. "why is the church in need to begin with?" I have found that most churches that have been around for a time who fall into the need is because they are being tested or have fallen away. So the simple solution would be to learn or get back on track.

I believe what the good book tells me too. NOt what others say it means. Many preachers give their beliefs about what the bible says. Come on. God knew who would be reading his works. He knew that it would be everyday people. That is why it is written the way it is. It does not need a bible scholar to tell you what it means. If your heart is open his words will fill it, if your heart is closed, then his words can be confusing. However, its still is straight forward.

What I dont get is BIBLE studies. Why is it that so many of us have our students going back and forth between books. If we go to a movie we watch it fromt he begining to the end. We dont go to the middle and watch a little and then the end and back to the start. So why is it most of our people study the Bible this way?

If God wanted us to read it that way he would have written it that way. However, he put it together the way he wants us to read it.

Sorry just letting a little out.
Tithing was for the sole purpose of providing for the Levite Priests. Since they were not given land, as the others were, the tithe would be their inheritance. The Israelites were required to give a tenth of their proceeds to the levite Priests.

Today's church has not understood the true definition of tithing. They think that by giving money to the church, that its tithing, but its not. We must understand Tithing in its original, historical, and theological context of their own time, before we can understand it in our times.

It would be awesome to have many of our pastors living off of the tithe of the church, but Tithes arent for the pastors. They were for Levite priests.

Its erroneous to say that if Christians do not tithe, then they will not be blessed. If they dont tithe, its because there arent any priests to tithe to lol.

Nu.18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel (Gen.49:28) the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, [even] a tenth [part] of the tithe.

Neh.10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

So, again, its a requirement that the Israelites tithe ONLY to the Levite Priests for their inheritance since Levites did not get any land
Brother James.
Thank you for this reply.
The 'tithe' as is practiced in the church today, is incorrect, and is based on an erroneous (purposely) interpretation of scripture.
Should anyone really be interested in the truth of this, and not the traditional emotional response, there is an excellent piece written by Gary Amirault called "The tithe is illegal" Here is a link to it:
http://www.tentmaker.org/books/TheTitheisIllegal.html I suggest that all truth-seeking parties read the article and draw conclusions from its thoughtful Bible based content.
Peace
If We All Follow and Believe in the Same Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ that Died for Our Sins,then His Fathers House Should Be Worldwide as a Whole,Not Divided by Denominations,Segregation,Church Pull,Nor Any Off the Wall Standards that Many Churches Today Follow,instead of the Teachings from the Bible as We All Must Follow,if..........

WE TRULY and SINCERELY,Believe in GODS WORD and WILL that was WRITTEN.

Brotha Paydae'
Actually if we believe in the word, then there must be divided faith, otherwise the bible would prove to be false. To believe that everyone in the world can believe in one faith is a fantasy. The bible clearly states this. What we have to look at are the ones who can be called, who can be saved. The divisions will always exitst.
This may have already been said but at the risk of repeating it, this is my understanding. Churches do not pay tithe, individuals pay tithe!!!

You are the spiritual parent of your members and therefore their tithe goes into your church, group or ministry for the work of the ministry.

You should have a spiritual parent[s] because no one in the body of christ should be standing alone, and your tithe and that of your spouse if in ministry with you should go to your spiritual parents. After all when you give out God uses them to replenish you!

I am an apostle with spiritual sons and daughters who love and honour the anointing that flows to them, I do not take a salary from the ministry and therefore without tithes would not be able to do all that God has called me to do. As Abraham did with Melchizedek, I not my church pay tithe to my spiritual parents who head another church/ministry, there must be order in the body of Christ!
If a pastor has a covering that he is tithing to,that pastor that he is being covered by is his pastor and not his churches pastor therefore the tithe should not come from his churches overall income but from that pastors individual income.
I agree that where the pastor is covered by someone outside of the immediate church family no church income should be used only there personal income. Therefore if they receive a salary from the church the tithe would equal 10% of their salary not the church income. Hope this clarifies what I have said further
You make a very observation. I trust that you are not the only one wrestling with this question. But the truth of the matter is God made it a requirement for us to pay our tithes and offering and bring them to the store house ( his church). The problem is folk feel obligated to do more through either self-want or some type of influence, persuasion or coerce. God did not and does not require us, as pastors, to pay stoke into other churches. Now, with that said, I don't think that there is anything wrong with assisting or helping or being a part of a parent church as along as there is a mutual understanding that when the baby church is in need the parent church makes it, it's responsibility to help.
Let me say this. Christians was a term given in the book of Acts which means Christ-like. So everyone that calls themselves that are not Christians but are merely "church-folk", These are they that go to church, may know the word, and may do what they have been taught, but do not have the spirit of God bringing revelation at all. Sound familiar? I always say that there is a difference between saved folk and church folk. But you can not take what you have known and/or experienced and say that everyone that goes to church believes or lives their life that way. Peter made this distinction himself, when he said that judgment must first start at the house of God. Then he goes on to say, if the righteous is scarcely saved, then where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear. We know that the sinner don't go to church. So the first two categories is referring to saved folk and church folk. In other words, you can't judge all by what some bad fruit does. Let the wheat and the tares grow up together....And if it was not for Judas, Jesus would have never went to the cross. So what you have known about others, regarding tithing, what has been taught, etc., are you going to let that make you hate on the church or people in the church?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service