The Seventh Day Adventist What do you think of there bible beliefs? Are they right about the Sabbath.

I don't here much about this church are people misinformed about this church are they truly following the bible some say it an cult people of god tell me what you think.

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for that insert it gave me detail so the question is they are not an cult. god bless my brother.
Hello Sister Tara

What a great question. Seems as if when an idealogy is created to get us off the real issues concerning this walk of our Christian faith, it hinders the effectiveness of following the commands of Christ. We can take almost anything in God's Word to take us off our collective course to be One Faith and One Baptism and use these things to split and to create more division and strife over these issues. The Catholics take one verse of which Peter speaks through a revelation given by God through the Holy Spirit that answered the question by Jesus, "Who do you say I am?" Peter responds, "You are the messiah" and since Peter answers the question correctly, now he is the rock instead of the revelation that Peter spoke concerning Jesus's position and Lordship. Now we have St. Peter and a sepulcre is created in His name called "The Basilica of St. Peter".

We as man can make anything our own scholarship. Now getting back to your timely question.

The concept of the sabbath is one that is tied very closely with Jewish culture. The word itself is a variation of the Hebrew word for rest or cease from activity. We first read of the sabbath in Exodus chapter 16 where the Lord instructs Moses that Israel was to rest from gathering the daily manna on the seventh day, making it a holy day dedicated to the Lord.

This idea becomes codified in the Ten Commandments. The forth commandment states: "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy. (Ex 20:8-11)"

Note here how God equates the sabbath day to the creation event, thus making the last day of the week (Saturday as we number it) the sabbath day. One of the primary purposes in establishing such a day was to set aside a regular time of worship and dedication to the Lord, and to remember God's deliverance of Israel from slavery (Deut. 5:15). There is also a humanitarian idea of everyone not being worked continuously which can be very harmful. A time of rest and rejuvenation is necessary for healthy human development (ref. Mark 2:27).

So, the sabbath is on Saturday, but does that mean that Christians are required to honor it in the same way that Israel was commanded? There are several groups such as the Seventh-day Adventists and the Seventh-day Baptists who argue that since the sabbath day was instituted at creation, it precedes the Mosaic law and therefore all God's faithful are obligated to keep it. However, I don't see this as strong reasoning. Let's look at several reasons why.

1 - The sabbath has many forms.
In addition to the sabbath day we discussed above, Israel also had a sabbath year (six years to till the land, the seventh year it was to lay fallow) and there was a Jubilee sabbath, which happened after seven sabbath years. Each of these sabbaths has the same concept of rest and honoring God at their base, so it would seem selective to choose the continued observance of a sabbath day and not the others.

2 - Other Mosaic admonitions seem to also have pre-Mosaic roots.
In addition to the sabbath being sanctified before Moses there are other laws from the Mosaic tradition that show up very early in the Biblical narrative. Tithing one tenth of the spoils in war is highlighted in Genesis 14:20 and the idea of clean and unclean animals is mentioned as early as Genesis 7:2. This last example is interesting in that Peter was given a vision of all these same unclean animals in Acts 11. God then commanded him to eat from them stating "What God has cleansed no longer consider unholy". In this way God demonstrated to Peter that His new covenant in Christ differs from the Mosaic commandments.

3 - The New Testament model is to worship on Sunday.
The idea of worship that we mentioned earlier is central to the sabbath observance. However, the New Testament seems to put emphasis on a Sunday observance of worship instead of a Saturday one. Ron Rhodes writes, "By [Jesus'] resurrection on the first day of the week (Matt. 28:1), His continued appearances on succeeding Sundays (John 20:26), and the descent of the Holy Spirit on Sunday (Acts 2:1), the early church was given the pattern of Sunday worship. This they did regularly (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2). Sunday worship was further hallowed by our Lord who appeared to John in that last great vision on "the Lord's day" (Rev. 1:10). It is for these reasons that Christians worship on Sunday, rather than on the Jewish Sabbath. 1

4 - We are commanded not to think we must honor one day above another.
Probably the most concrete evidence we have that Christians are not compelled to observe a Saturday sabbath is found in Paul's letter to the Colossians. In Chapter 2 we read "Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day: things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ." Clearly the Bible specifically sets believers free from the obligation of keeping the sabbath. Paul says that its purpose was to serve as "a shadow of things to come" - our rest in Christ. I hope this look at the sabbath day has helped you. I pray that you will continue to seek God in all His ways and you will be blessed in so doing. Tell me what you think!

God bless

In His Grip

Min. Scott
what you said was quite informative and i appreciate you taking the time to tell me i am going to study on some of what you wrote to clearly know for my self thanks.
I don't think the Seventh Day Adventist is a cult i am just asking what i have heard people say so it can be made clear there is none thing wrong with them as a church. Also they do allow woman to wear pants and i believe they use rings when they marry now i am very good friends with a pastor of that church and i am just testing what he has shared with me to see if others really know or are they going by what people say. I believe before you label any thing know your truth first i am just tired of people being mislead about the church and this is one church you don't hear enough about when i do it's negative and i just want to be clear about what i do know so for those who have more insight into this matter please share. God Bless and thanks sis.
Like many churches, SDA has false doctrine. One of the major false doctrines in SDA is their belief that Jesus is Michael the archangel. They are right on about the Sabbath, amd the dietary laws. They also predicted false prophecies.
please tell me more about the false prophecies and why do they believe jesus is Michael the archangel.
I am waiting on him to tell me too i really would like to know.
Hmm.. Interesting. I have spoken with many SDA members that believe such a thing. That Jesus is Michael the archangel. I used to debate one all the time when I attended college.

The prophecies that failed them were many. One of the most famous was the great disapointment, back in 1844. Ellen white, and the millerites were getting ready for Jesus' return, but he did not come. They made another prophecy again in 1845, and Jesus did not come. SDA is similar with Jehovahs witness in making prophecies that are false.

I get my information from lots of sources.
Maybe your SDA congregation was different than the SDA I talked with concerning it.
But if they believed that Jesus was really the Archangel Micheal then that would make them a cult.
I never said that IS what they believe. It was mentioned earlier! But if it were true then my answer is valid. On a personal note I dont know enough about SDA, I do have a friend who is a member of that particular church and on the surface we agree on Jesus and who He is.
Sry to intrude. The movement was global and was called Adventist Movement Asia, Europe, Australia etc.); ppl from different Christian and non-Christian denomnations. The name SDA did not come up until 1863. And pls tell me from what sources did you get your info from? JW came quite some time after 1863

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service