Is The Trinity Biblical?
From the Christian Research Institute
www.equip.org
The Trinity is a basic doctrine of orthodox Christianity. Yet the word "Trinity" is not found anywhere in the Bible. Is the doctrine of the Trinity really biblical?
The doctrine of the Trinity says that there is one All Mighty One (God) who exists eternally as three distinct persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I can assure you that the elements of this doctrine are all taken directly from the Bible.
The first plank of the Trinitarian platform is that there is only one All Mighty One (God). The Bible could not be more explicit on this point, which it states explicitly about two dozen times. In Isaiah 44:8 Yahweh (The LORD) says that even He does not know of any other (mighty ones)gods!
Yahshua (Jesus) often spoke of the All Mighty One (God) as His Father, and the apostles frequently spoke of "the Almighty One (God) the Father." But the New Testament also insists that Yahshua (Jesus) is The Almighty One (God). For example, Thomas acknowledged Yahshua (Jesus) as, "My Lord(master) and my Almighty One (God)" (John 20:28), and both Peter and Paul spoke of Yahshua (Jesus) as "our All Mighty One (God) and Savior" (2 Pet. 1:1; Tit. 2:13). Yet the New Testament also makes the distinction between the Father and the Son as two very different persons. In fact they tell us that they love one another, speak to each other, and seek to glorify each other (e.g., John 17: 1-26).
The Old Testament refers often to the Holy Spirit as The Almighty One (God) at work in the world, without distinction from the Father. But Yahshua (Jesus) in John 14 to 16 explained that this Holy Spirit would be sent by the Father at the Messiah’s (Christ's) request. The Holy Spirit would teach and guide the disciples, not speaking on His own initiative, but speaking on the Messiah’s 9Christ's) behalf and glorifying The messiah (Christ). Thus, the Holy Spirit is revealed by The Messiah (Christ) to be a third person distinct from the Father and distinct from the Son.
In short, the doctrine of the Trinity is completely and totally biblical, and it is essential that all the Followers of the Messiah Yahshua (Christians) give assent to this doctrine.

Views: 1276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

EW,

Yashah & Yehwah are one. This does not mean "trinity." This means that they are one in purpose, and also it means that Yashah is the essence of the father(Hebrews 1:1-3).

When scripture says that the fullness of deity dwells bodily, it can only be understood from a Hebrew perspective. The word "godhead" was added to the text. Phrases like "fullness of deity", "fullness of God", would fit the scripture. In Hebrew understanding, the fullness dwelling in bodily form means that Yehwah's presence dwells in bodily form. Yashah is the embodiement of the presence of the father.
Who saaaaaaaaaaid anything about three seperate ? Trinitarians believe in ONE GOD, ONE GOD, eternally existent in three persons.

You call God a liar if you state HE came as Yashua and walk on the earth, he gave man dominion over.

Yeshua definitely was God in the flesh, he had to come in the flesh, so that the domain would not be compromised.

James, rise up some, you are saying the same thing I am, however you can't see the forest for trees
Evan,

The fact is that scripture does not say that Yehwah existed in three person. That's just "christian jargon." Yehwah is one Lord, and as the bible states...... The Holy Spirit & Yashah "proceeded from the father." So, The Spirit & The Son are the essence of Yehwah, but he did not "exist in three persons."

I do not call Yehwah a liar. He did not come "as Yashah" in the flesh. The word clearly says that Yehwah SENT his word to the earth, and HIS WORD became flesh. Yehwah Himself did not turn into flesh. Yashah was Yehwah "manisfested" in the flesh, which means that Yehwah was revealed to us through His word.
Anthony,

I never stated that I did not believe Yashah walked the earth lol. The baptism of Yashah does not promote trintarian gods. Brother, I studied Greek for about a year, mainly the very basics. So, I do not have a problem being challenged on Greek. I am up for the challenge, Anthony. What do you have for me?
Anthony,

(1) The--------> unity of God is basic. Monotheism is deeply implanted within the Hebrew-Christian tradition. Are we in agreement here? God is one, not several. The unity of God may be compared to the unity of husband and wife, but we must keep in mind that we are dealiing with one God, not a joining of separate entities.

I am in agreement that Hebrews believed that Yehovah is one Lord. Yehovah's word, and His spirit both proceeded forth "from" Him. Yehovah is not His own word, or His own spirit. They "come from" Him. As far as the Christian understanding of Monotheism; They will say that Yehovah is monotheistic, but I've heard Christians tell me that the trinity is separate yet one. Thats foreign to a Hebrew's ears, and Hebrew thought of the scriptures, which is the rightful thought of the scriptures.

(2) The Deity of each of the three, yes three persons, that is, Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit, must be affirmed. Each is qualitatively the same. The Son is divine in the same way and to the same extent as is the Father, and this is true of the Holy Spirit as well.

The son and the spirit proceeded forth from Yehovah(John 7-8). The son is the very expression of Yehovah(Hebrews 1:1-3). He is the very words of Yehovah. The logos of Yehovah has been expressed all throughout Tanakh. The son is the embodiement of the presence and nature of Yehovah, but it is not Yehovah Himself. Yehovah did not "turn into" flesh, rather, He sent His expression to earth, and that is what became flesh.

The Holy Spirit is the very essence of the father. Yehovah blew a "breath of life" into the body of Adam, and man became a living being. It is the Spirit/breath of Yehovah that gives life. This Spirit proceeds forth from Yehovah as well. It is His very essence---- life, that is given. Yet, Yehovah did not turn into the Holy Spirit.

(3) The threeness and the oneness of God are not the same respect. Although the orthodox interpretation of the Trinity seems contradictory (God is one and yet three), the contradiction is not real, but only apparent. A contradiction exists if something is A and not A at the same time and in the same respect. Since you have taken some Jewish philosophy classes, you should understand the logic of the above statement. By the way, I find Greek philosophy very interesting, and I'm sure men like Martin Buber, Maimonides, Gaon, Avicebron, and Solomon ibn Gabirol, all studied the pre-Socratics, as well as Plato and Aristotle. Unilke modalism, orthodoxy insists God is three persons at every moment in time. Maintaining his unity as well, orthodoxy deals with the problem by suggesting that the way in which God is three is in some respect different from the way in which He is one. The fourth century thinkers spoke of one ousia and three hypostases. The problem is determining what these two terms mean, or more broadly, what the difference is between the nature or locus of God's oneness and that of his threeness.

I do not deny or hate Greek Philosophy, neither do I deny the fact that many great Hebrew Philosophers received their training in Greek Philosophy. What I am denying is that Yehovah is one yet 3. That does not exist in the Torah & The Prophets, and like the Bereans of the NT, we must test theology by the Torah & Prophets. If the Torah does not teach that Yehovah is one yet 3, then the NT will not teach it, and we have no business teaching it. I know that many Christians use Genesis 1:26 & Deut 6:4, but we can discuss those afterwards.

(4) The Trinity is eternal. There have always been three. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and all of them have always been divine. One or more of them did not come into being at some point in time, or at some point become divine. There has never been any alteration in the nature of the Triune God. He is and will be what he has always been.

What you are speaking here are 3rd-4th century creeds that neither did Nazarenes or Ebionites, who pre-dated the christian creeds by about 300+ years, held. Both these groups kept the Torah, and believed in the teachings of Yashah Messiah. They believed in Deut 6 is showing us that Yehovah is ONE, which means 2 things:

1) The only God
2) The only God that has all power

It does not prove a trinity whatsoever.

You said that the trinity always existed. The father, son, holy spirit were present in eternity. Many Christians believe that Yashah existed with the father in the sense of having an opposite spiritual entity of the father, and yet was one with the father. Well, scripture does not teach this. The Greek for word is Logos, and it has several meanings. One of the foundational meanings of logos is thought, idea, and or wisdom. Yashah was not sitting next to Yehovah, rather, He was in the mind of Yehovah. The Holy Spirit, who was the breath of Yehovah, was in Yehovah.

(5) The function of one member of the Trinity may for a time be subordinate to one or both of the other members, but that does not mean He is any way inferior in essence. Each of the three persons of the Trinity has had, for a period of time, a particular function unique to Himself. This is to be understood as a temporary role for the purpose of accomplishing a given end, not a change in status or essence. The Son did not become less than the Father during His earthly incarnation, but He did subordinate Himself functionally to the Father's will. Similarily, the Holy Spirit is noe subordinated to the ministry of the Son (See John chapters 14 thru 16) as well as to the will of the Father, but this does not imply that He is less than they are.

I believe I've addressed this above.
A common remark by some trinitarians about the Old Testament doctrine of the oneness of God is that God only intended to emphasize His oneness as opposed to pagan deities, but that He still existed as a plurality. However, if this conjecture were true, why did not God make it clear? Why have the Jews understood not a theology of "persons" but have insisted on an absolute monotheism? Let us look at it from God's point of view. Suppose He did want to exclude any belief in a plurality in the Godhead. How could He do so using then-existing terminology? What strong words could He use to get His message across to His people? When we think about it, we will realize that He used the strongest possible language available to describe absolute oneness. In the preceding verses of Scriptures in Isaiah, we note the use of words and phrases such as "none, none else, none like me, none beside me, alone, by myself," and "one." Surely, God could not make it plainer that no plurality whatsoever exists in the Godhead. In short, the Old Testament affirms that God is absolutely one in number.

The New Testament Teaches There Is But One God

Jesus emphatically taught Deuteronomy 6:4, calling it the first of all the commandments (Mark 12:29-30). The New Testament presupposes the Old Testament teaching of one God and explicitly repeats this message many times.

"Seeing it is one God which shall justify" (Romans 3:30).

"There is none other God but one" (I Corinthians 8:4).

"But to us there is but one God, the Father" (I Corinthians 8:6).

"But God is one" (Galatians 3:20).

"One God and Father of all" (Ephesians 4:6).

"For there is one God" (I Timothy 2:5).

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble" (James 2:19).

Again, the Bible calls God the Holy One (I John 2:20). There is one throne in heaven and One sits upon it (Revelation 4:2).

In subsequent chapters we will explore New Testament monotheism in greater depth, but the above verses of Scripture are sufficient to establish that the New Testament teaches one God.

Conclusion

As we have seen, the whole Bible teaches a strict monotheism. God's people have always been identified with the one-God message. God chose Abraham because of his willingness to forsake the gods of his nation and his father and to worship the one true God (Genesis 12:1-8). God chastised Israel every time she began to worship other gods, and polytheistic worship was one of the main reasons that God finally sent her into captivity (Acts 7:43). The Savior came to the world through a nation (Israel) and through a religion (Judaism) in which the people had finally purged themselves of polytheism. They were thoroughly monotheistic.

Today, God still demands a monotheistic worship of Him. We in the church are heirs of Abraham by faith, and this exalted position demands that we have the same monotheistic faith in the God of Abraham (Romans 4:13-17). As Christians in the world we must never cease to exalt and declare the message that there is only one true and living God.
There are many scriptures teaching that there’s only one God:

2 Sam 7:22 Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God: for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. 11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Deut 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Deut 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him.

Deut 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

1 Cor 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

No God with Him, before Him, after Him, beside Him, like Him, no savior beside Him. There is none but Him. Period. God is one and only one.

Who is Jesus?

1 Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God; … 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Matt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. … 18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

A child will be born (Jesus) and he will be called “the mighty God”, “the everlasting Father”, “God with us”. God was manifest in the flesh (Jesus). The Word was God and became flesh (Jesus). Who lives and was dead? Jesus. Jesus said, “Before Abraham was, I am.” Now there’s a powerful statement! Jesus is God! He that has seen Jesus, has seen the Father. Jesus said, “I and my Father are one.” They are one and the same.

We’ve proven two things so far: There is only one God, and that Jesus is God. That means that Jesus is that one God!

I would like to point out a very important scripture that most people do not understand. In John 1:1 it says that in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The word “Word” was interpreted from the original Greek word logos, which means “Divine Expression”. We know that several times in the Old Testament, God manifested Himself as an angelic being. He ate with Abraham, he wrestled with Jacob, etc. This was the Divine Expression of God before He actually became flesh. This Divine Expression was in existence before the foundation of the earth (1 Pet 1:20). John 1:14 says that the Word, or the Divine Expression, was made flesh and dwelt among us. We know that the Divine Expression was God and was with God before the foundation of the earth. It’s important to understand that the Divine Expression always was and always is God. It was His angelic form before He made it actual flesh with the birth of Jesus Christ. God is amazing!

Please take a look at the following two scriptures very carefully:

Isaiah 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

God is speaking in Isaiah, proclaiming that He is the first and the last, that He is God and there is no God beside Him. In Revelation, Jesus is speaking to John, proclaiming that He is the first and the last, that He lives and was dead, but is alive forever. Take a minute to really digest this truth...

Why does Jesus "pray to the Father"?

This can be very confusing if we don't understand that the flesh and blood man, Jesus, was a human being just like you and me. He was the "seed of a woman"; a man born of a woman just like all humans. God planted the seed in Mary and/or fertilized it, but it grew in the womb and was born a baby and grew into a man. It was God's way to live among us as a man to fulfill His plan of redemption and save us by shedding His blood and dying for us. He was every bit a human being who experienced the same things we do, like pain, hunger, etc. When he was mocked and beaten and hung on the cross, he felt every bit of it just as you and I would. Here's the thing; in order for God to be tempted in all points (Heb 4:15) as we are, He had to be a man in all points as we are!

Jesus did many things by example and led by example. He did things as a man so we would know by His example what we should do. He prayed, was baptized, fasted; but He did all these things for us, not for Himself. In John 12, Jesus prays to God and a voice is heard from heaven. Then Jesus tells them that it was for them, not Himself.

John 12:30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.

In order to understand, we must remember that many things were done so we could understand in human terms. Jesus sometimes spoke and did things as God with the authority of God and other times spoke and did things as a man to bring things to our level of understanding and to be an example of what is pleasing to Him. It's hard to understand, but we have to remember that we cannot understand God and that we might get ourselves into trouble by trying to make it fit in our minds with philosophy. The man, Jesus, was totally submitted to the Spirit of God. He wasn’t an ordinary man as you and I are, but He was God manifest in the flesh as it says in the bible. He was a very special man. He wasn’t a puppet in the true sense of the word, but He was totally submitted to God so much so that the Spirit guided everything He did and as such He was really just speaking and acting the will of God. John 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. He is the body of God, the human flesh that God manifested Himself into.

This tends to lend credibility to the "trinity" concept if you don't understand it. It definitely does not mean that there are three distinct persons or entities that make up God. One cannot ignore the point blank statements of God to create theological concepts that are based on supposition because there are things we don't understand.

For example: Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: Does that mean that God is three beings??? No, it does not. God very specifically states that He is one and only one over and over and over in the bible. Just because we don't understand what He said doesn't mean we should make up something to make it fit in our minds. Maybe it's as simple a thing as that God was including those that were with Him (the angels) when He said it? Take a look at Genesis 18 and 19. In 18:1 we see that the Lord appeared to Abraham. In verse 2 we see that there were 3 men who appeared to Abraham. During the passage of events we find that one of them was the Lord (verse 18:22), and two were angels that the Lord sent to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah (verses 19:1 and 19:13). In verse 19:13, one of the angels says, "we will destroy this place" and then that the Lord sent them to do it, but then the Lord Himself (verse 19:24) made the rain fall out of heaven. God included the angels with Him during these events, but they weren't God, and He's the one who's power did the work. In the creation He says, "Let us make man in our image", and then God goes on to create man in His image, not in "their images". Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image... Is it too much of a stretch to simply take God at His word and understand that He is one, and that He simply includes His angels in the things He does?

We also need to understand that things have been intentionally inserted into the bible we read today in order to make the ideas men created seem more credible. Here's a couple examples:

Isaiah 41:4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last ; I am he.

The word "with" was inserted and never existed in the original text. It should read just as it does in Isaiah 44:6 quoted above. It really says, "I the LORD, the first, and the last; I am he." Why did they insert the word "with"? The Hebrew words in Isaiah 41:4 are identical to the words used in Isaiah 44:6.

Here's another one where they inserted so many words it just amazes me:

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

This text sure sounds like there's three Gods, right!? But if we look at the original Greek text, there's an entire section that was inserted by the men who translated it! In the original Greek it reads, "For there are three that bear record; the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." All of the other words were inserted by men. Why? Did they believe in a "trinity"?

Who is the Holy Ghost?

Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Matt 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost is the father of Jesus? Then who is “God the Father”? Obviously they are one and the same.

In Acts, on the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Ghost was given, Peter tells the crowd that this was the prophesy from Joel, where God pours out His Spirit on all flesh.

Acts 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:

Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh;

God is a Spirit. The Holy Ghost is that Spirit. It's that simple.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

In Genesis we also see that the Spirit of God (the Holy Ghost) is the Creator, the Father.

Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

I took the liberty of looking up the original Greek and Hebrew words for the words "spirit" and "ghost", in both the Old and New Testaments, to understand it in my own mind. I found that the exact same Greek word is used where they have translated it into both Spirit and Ghost in the New Testament (IE: Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost), and that the Hebrew word when used to speak of the Spirit of God in the Old Testament, as in Gen 1:2, has the same meaning as the Greek word used in the New Testament. This is positive proof that there is no difference and no separation of any kind, it is just simply the Spirit of God - that is God - in all cases.

Jesus says that He will come as the comforter; the Holy Ghost. This can mean nothing other than that Jesus is also the Holy Ghost. Jesus is that one God!

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

If the Spirit of God dwell in you, the Spirit of Christ is in you. The Spirit of Christ is the Holy Ghost.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts. The spirit of the Son is the same spirit as the Holy Ghost. Jesus, God, the Holy Ghost, the Father, the Son are all one and the same.

Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

The prophets from the Old Testament prophesied of Christ by the Spirit of Christ. These words are all used interchangeably. The Spirit of God, the Holy Ghost, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ are all simply the Spirit which is God.

1 Peter 1:10-12 Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: 11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. 12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

How can this be?

It’s very difficult for us to understand as finite beings but here’s a thought that might help you: The body of Jesus is the limit of the unlimited, the visible of the invisible, the finite of the infinite. We have both a spirit and a body, but we are one person. God is a spirit (John 4:24). Jesus is simply the body of God manifested in the flesh, so He could walk among us as a man to fulfill His purpose (to rescue us).

What is the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost?

The Father, Son and Holy Ghost are all titles, not names.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Jesus was speaking a truth that He knew the apostles understood. He said “the name”, not “the names”. And what is the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost? There is only one who has all these titles. Jesus is His name. Every record of baptism in the book of Acts shows that the Apostles obeyed this command by baptizing in the name of Jesus, or in the name of the Lord (Jesus).

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

There is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

If you’re still not convinced, here’s a very important question: Is Jesus in the Godhead or is the Godhead in Jesus?

Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

We have a measure of the spirit of God when the Holy Ghost lives within us; the difference is that the entirety of God is in Jesus Christ. That's what it means when it says ALL the fullness of the Godhead dwells within Jesus Christ.

John 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

That doesn't mean that God only existed within that flesh, not at all. We don't worship the flesh of Jesus, we worship the Spirit which is God. God is spirit, not flesh. Jesus was the son of God, but He was the Word manifested in the flesh "as of" the only begotten of the father (John 1:14), who is also our father. The Holy Spirit is the "father" of the flesh of Jesus in the way we understand physical things. He impregnated Mary to produce the flesh to fulfill His great plan. The flesh of Jesus was the "son" of God in the way we know how to understand it.

God is one and only one. His name is Jesus.

Is there such a thing as a “trinity” or a "triune"?

Many people are taught that there are three distinct beings that make up what we know to be one and only one God. Some people that teach this doctrine will admit that God is one and only one, but in the same sentence will say that there are three separate and distinct entities that make up this one God. This does not comply with scripture at all. Yes, God has several offices or titles, and three of them are listed in the bible as the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. I have a father, He also is a son, and a brother, And a husband, and many other things, but HE is just one person. These offices of God; the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost are just titles and do not in any way make God into three distinct beings. There is no "trinity" taught anywhere in the bible. It’s never mentioned in the Old or New Testaments, it’s never taught by Jesus and it’s never taught by the Apostles. It is actually a concept that was invented back around 200 AD and indoctrinated by the Roman Catholic church when the church was founded in approximately 325 AD. God did not teach this, so why would we teach it? We should not.
Prophet,

All I can do is laugh at your statements. You speak foolishly and unlearned. You call yourself a prophet, but do not know the lifestyle of a Prophet. Which line of Prophets are you from.... The Biblical Prophets who kept Torah, or the Church Prophets who pimp, play prophet, and simply have no clue of the scriptures??
Has anyone read Ephesians chapter 1??? The entire chapter is quite interesting

There's so much I could highlight in that chapter but really, you should read the ENTIRE chapter itself.
Can someone please clarify the meaning of the statements of Jesus sitting at the right and of God. They seemingly point to a position of power but also literally being "seated"

Psalm 110:1 The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool."

Does "The LORD said to my Lord" translate as Yahweh (Jehovah) said to my Adonai (Master)?

Matt 26:64 Jesus said to him, "It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Was Jesus argument to the Pharisees an attempt to get them to admit that Ps 110 was Messianic?

Col 3:1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

Mark 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

A really interesting passage is:

Acts 2:32-36

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

33Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

34For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

35Until I make thy foes thy footstool.

36Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Minister Tracy, To answer Your questions they are found in the bible.
Please carefully take the time to look these up.
Psalm 110: 1-5 reads: "The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. The Lord shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. They people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth. The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. The Lord at they right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath."

The Psalmist David here prophesies of the coming of Christ the Messiah to Israel, and also to all the people who will accept Him. When Jesus was in the world, He quoted Psalm 110:1 (see Matthew 22:44), when being questioned by the scribes concerning the authority by which He taught. After He had put them to silence, no man dared ask Him any question at all (Mark 12:34; Luke 20:39,40). Jesus said to His questioners, "David therefore calleth him Lord, how is he then his son?" (Luke 20:44).

In the Old Testament, David, as well as other prophets, foretold the Christ's coming to the world. In Psalm 110 David even referred to the order of His priesthood. He declared, "Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek." So He was of the order Melchizedek, rather than of the order of Aaron. This is brought out more fully in Hebrews 6:17 through 7:21.

The apostles used another prophecy of David's in Hebrews 10:5,8,9, "Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me." Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first (covenant), that he may establish the second." (This was a quotation from Psalm 40:6-.

On the day of Pentecost the Apostle Peter also quoted Psalm 110:1 (see Acts 2:34,35), then added these words: "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly. that God hath made that same Jesus whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ" (verse 36).

The statement, "The Lord said unto my Lord" does not mean that there is a first and a second person in the Godhead, and that they are carrying on a conversation. We read another statement of God to David: "The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne" (Psalm 132:11). As mentioned above, Paul quoted, "A body hast thou prepared me."

All this refers to the prophecy of Isaiah: "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign, Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel" (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23). Again Isaiah said, "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor. The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6).

This was fulfilled when "...the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth" (John 1:14). The Word was made flesh when Jesus was born in Bethlehem (Luke 2:8-17).

Another Question You Had: THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD
The Bible teaches that God is an invisible Spirit, yet it also describes Him in terms that relate to the human body. Many Trinitarians use these descriptions to support their doctrine, particularly passages that speak of the right hand of God and the face of God. Let us investigate what the Bible means by these terms.

John 4:24 says, "God is a Spirit," or "God is spirit" (NIV). This means His eternal essence is not human or physical. Apart from the Incarnation, God does not have a physical body. "A spirit hath not flesh and bones" (Luke 24:39). God the Father is not "flesh and blood" (Matthew 16:17).

Because He is a Spirit, God is invisible to humans. "No man hath seen God at any time" (John 1:1. "No man hath seen, nor can see" Him (I Timothy 6:16).

Moreover, the Bible teaches that God is omnipresent: His Spirit fills the universe. "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me" (Psalm 139:7-10).

These facts about God show that we cannot understand the physical descriptions of Him in a grossly "letteristic" way. We are to interpret the Bible according to the ordinary, apparent, grammatical, historical meaning of its words, just as we do with other forms of speech and writing. In doing so, we will recognize that all human communication, including the Bible, uses figurative language. We are not free to impose an allegorical interpretation upon Scripture, but when the Bible itself indicates that we are to understand certain phrases or passages in a figurative way, then that is how we must interpret them.

When we read about God's eyes, nostrils, heart, feet, hands, and wings, it is clear from the rest of Scripture that we are not dealing with a human, beast, or fowl. The Bible does not use these terms to describe a physical being, but to give us insight into the nature, character, and attributes of God. For instance, God expresses His sovereignty by saying, "The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool" (Isaiah 66:1). The Bible describes God's miraculous power as "the finger of God" and "the blast of thy nostrils" (Exodus 8:19;15:; His omniscience and omnipresence by saying, "The eyes of the LORD are in every place" (Proverbs 15:3); His protection by speaking of "the shadow of thy wings" (Psalm 36:7); and His sorrow over human sin as having grieved him at his heart" (Genesis 6:6).

It would be foolish to conclude from these passages that God is a giant who props up His feet on the North Pole, blows air from His nostrils, focuses his eyes to see us, uses wings to fly, and has a blood-pumping organ. Rather the Bible uses concepts taken from our human experience to enable us to understand the characteristics of God's spiritual nature.

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE RIGHT HAND

This principle is especially true when the Bible speaks of the right hand of God. Since most humans are right-handed, in most cultures the right hand signifies strength, skill, and dexterity. The very word dexterity comes from the Latin word dexter, meaning "on the right side." In ancient times, the most honored guest was seated on the right hand of the host. As a result, in Hebrew, Greek, and English the right hand is a metaphor for power and honor.

The Bible uses this metaphor repeatedly with reference to humans as well as God. Of course, in some passages the Bible uses "right" or "right hand" in its locational meaning, in contrast to "left" or "left hand. " But many times the use of "right hand" is figurative. Since God does not have a physical right hand (apart from the Incarnation) and is not confined to a physical location, when the Bible speaks of His right hand, it speaks figuratively or metaphorically.

A study of the "right hand" passages in the Bible reveals that the right hand of God represents His almighty power, His omnipotence, particularly in bestowing salvation, deliverance, victory, and preservation. "My right hand hath spanned the heavens" (Isaiah 48:13). `Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O LORD, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.... Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them" (Exodus 15:6,12). "His right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory* (Psalm 98:1). "Thy right hand shall save me" (Psalm 138:7). "I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness" (Isaiah 41:10). There are numerous other examples where the Bible uses "right hand" as a metaphor for power. [1]

In Scripture, the right hand also signifies the position of honor, blessing, and preeminence. "At thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore" (Psalm 16:11). "Thy right hand is full of righteousness" (Psalm 48:10). "A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left" (Ecclesiastes 10:2).

When Jacob blessed Joseph's two sons, Joseph wanted him to put his right hand upon Manasseh, the older son, to signify that he would have preeminence. Joseph insisted, "This is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head" (Genesis 48:1. Jacob refused, in a reversal of normal procedure, saying, "Truly his younger brother shall be greater than he" (Genesis 48:19). (For other examples where the right hand means a position of favor or preeminence, see Exodus 29:20; Leviticus 8:23; 14:14-28; Psalm 45:9; 110:1; Jeremiah 22:24; Matthew 25:33-34.)

JESUS AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD

So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God (Mark 16:19).

Many passages in the New Testament tell us that Jesus sits on the right hand of God. As we have already seen, it would be a mistake to interpret this description to mean that Jesus sits eternally on top of a giant divine hand or at the side of another divine personage. How could we determine what is the right hand of the omnipresent Spirit of God?

The obvious purpose of this description is to exalt the Lord Jesus Christ. By using this phrase, the New Testament tells us that Jesus is not merely a man, but He is a man who has been invested with the almighty power of the indwelling Spirit of God and who has been exalted to the position of highest honor.

Since verses like Mark 16:19 speak of Jesus as being "on the right hand of God," some people suppose that in heaven they will see two divine persons, the Father and the Son, sitting or standing side by side. But no one has ever seen or can see God's invisible presence (I Timothy 6:16); no one can see God apart from Christ. Moreover, God has emphatically declared that there is no one beside Him (Isaiah 43:11 ; 44:6,. Christ is the visible "image of the invisible God," and the only way we can see the Father is to see him (Colossians 1:15; John 14:9). There is only one divine throne in heaven, and only One on that throne (Revelation 4:2; 22:3-4).

New Testament passages make clear that Jesus is "on the right hand of God" in the sense of having divine power, honor, glory, and preeminence. Jesus Himself said, "Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven" (Matthew 16:64). "Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God" (Luke 22:69). These words do not imply that we will see two divine persons in the clouds or in heaven, but one divine human person who has all he power and glory of the invisible Spirit of God.

Jesus was "by the right hand of God exalted" (Acts 2:33). He "is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him" (I Peter 1:22). God "raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is lamed, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come" Ephesians 1:20-21). "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God" (Colossians 3:1).

When Stephen was stoned, he "saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God" (Acts 7:55). He did not see two personages, but he saw the glory of God surrounding Jesus, who was revealed in the position of supreme power and authority. While on earth Jesus appeared to be an ordinary man and He lived as such with His disciples, but after His resurrection and ascension He appeared with visible glory and power as the almighty God. Although John had been Christ's closest associate while He was on earth and knew Him well, when He saw the ascended Christ in a vision he "fell at his feet as dead" (Revelation 1:17). Unlike Christ's typical appearance on earth, John saw Him in His divine glory.

That is what Stephen beheld also. The only divine person he saw was Jesus, and the only divine person he addressed was Jesus. He said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God" (Arts 7:56). He died "calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit" (Acts 7:59).

F. F. Bruce, one of the foremost evangelical theologians of the twentieth century, explained that biblical scholars past and present recognize Christ's right-hand position to be metaphoric, not physical:

Christ's present position of supremacy is described in the Pauline writings as being "at the right hand of God."... The apostles knew very well that they were using figurative language when they spoke of Christ's exaltation in these terms: they no more thought of a location on a literal throne at God's literal right hand than their twentieth-century successors do.... Martin Luther satirizes "that heaven of the fanatics ... with its golden chair and Christ seated at the Father's side, vested in a choir cope and a golden robe, as the painters love to portray him!" [2]

Several passages carry a further connotation relative to the Christ's right-hand position: they use this term to describe His present mediatorial role. "It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us" (Romans 8:34).

This does not mean that Christ has been kneeling for two thousand years, praying to some other deity. As a man, He has been glorified and has no further need to pray. As God, He never needed to pray and never had anyone to whom He could pray. Moreover, there is nothing He needs to add to the Atonement; His one sacrifice on the cross is sufficient to cover the sins of the whole world. When He said, "It is finished" and then died, His atoning work was complete (John 19:30). He "offered one sacrifice for sins for ever" the place of authority and of priestly service. For believers, he both rules and intercedes.... The rule of Christ will become actual. Meanwhile he patiently waits for the time when his enemies will be vanquished. There will then be no more opposition to Christ or his rule. [3]

[1] Deuteronomy 33:2; Job 40:14; Psalm 16:8; 17:7; 18:35; 20:6; 21:8; 44:3; 45:4; 60:5; 63:8; 73:23; 77:10; 78:54; 80:15, 17; 89:13, 25, 42; 108:6; 109:31; 118:15-16; 137:5; 139:10; Isaiah 62:8; 63:12; Lamentations 2:3-4; Ezekial 21:22; Habakkuk 2:16; Acts 5:31; Revelation 1:16.> Are more Scripture references. I hope this helps.

I know it's kinda long but The beauty of it all is that God Can never Lie to you and if What I am saying to you is the truth it will flow in harmony with scriptures. Love In Christ Della Morton
Can someone explain this passage to me? I will put my questions in BOLD

John chapter 14

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Jesus will pray that the Father will send "ANOTHER" Comforter who will live with us (and later we see "in" us) forever. Why the word "another" -- explain this

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Jesus is in the Father, we are in Jesus, Jesus is in us and the Holy Spirit dwells in us. -- explain this.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

why "our" abode?

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Father sent Jesus and now the Holy Spirit (in Jesus' name). Why did Jesus have to leave in order for the Holy Spirit to come?

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Jesus goes to the Father and the Father is GREATER than He, and yet He and the Father are ONE -- explain this to me

29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

I have several other questions about this passage but these are a good start.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service