I come from a Pentecostal family(COGIC) the church I attend a Non-Denominational church, but where I'm lost is....when I see one of my church members go to a Baptist event and they say do not speak in tongues at their event. The Full Gospel Baptist Church(FGBC) follow Acts 2:4 and the follow the Baptist doctrine, in other word FGBC is Baptist and they speak in tongues.
What my question is....
Why don't most Baptist churches speak in tongues, it's recorded in Acts 2:4 that God bless us to speak with another tongue?

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Satan is a ministering Spirit. He has no power, but what Jesus gives him. If it were up to Satan the entire creation would be destroyed by now. You want to know who the enemy is, look in the mirror. That is who you must fight, your own self desires.
Resisting the devil and talking in tongues have NOTHING to do with each other. and an unknown tongue is simply unknown to YOU. There are two sets of tongues clearly stated: tongues of man and of Angels.
Trevor you said:

That scripture STILL does not mean that Satan does not understand it! It was in the book of daniel that Satan was said to have hindered the answers to Saints prayer. I give him too much power? No not at all; on the contrary, saints underestimate their opponent.

This is why I said resist the devil and he will flee from you. He is only as strong as people allow him to be. I asked you a question regarding these Saints in Daniel praying in Tongues or in their own language. Satan does not understand the unknown language because it is only understood by God. The scripture says they speaketh unto God not Satan.
You are a liar and the truth is not in you.
No Saint prays to Satan! When speaking to GOD, the devil understands it, and will come against it. "Can he stop it?" is the question. We need to stop trying to play Secret Squirrel, and meet the enemy head on. Are you trying to say that if Satan understood it, then he could stop GOD's word from doing what it should? GOD's word will never return void. It is US that do not let it settle within us. JESUS Himself said the sower sows the word, and sometimes the Word is snatched up by Satan simply because we do not guard it!
"When believers pray in tongues, their prayers are guided by the Holy Spirit in a heavenly language that Satan does not understand."

I've heard this statment many many time... but there are no scripture references. Does anyone have any scriptures to back up some of these statements?

Here is a scripture that are frequently used:

Romans 8:26-27
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God

This creates other questions?

When we are NOT praying in tongues, are we not praying to God?
Is He somehow blocked from knowing our mind and heart when we don't pray in the Spirit?

Here's another scripture:

Revelation 12:10
And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

This is supported by the passage in Job 1:6-12

6Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
7And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
8And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
9Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
10Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
11But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.
12And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

And of course... Jesus tells Peter...

Luke 22:31
And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

So, our Enemy, our Adversary is before God's throne, day and night making accusations and submitting requests to do us harm...RELENTLESSLY.

When we speak in the Spirit, we speak to God and it has been said that Satan doesn't understand that language. But is there a scripture that specifically says Satan doesn't understand it other than the scripture that says we speak to God. I could be standing next to you when someone comes up and speaks to you. Just because they are speaking to you doesn't mean I don't hear nor understand what they said.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this...

Since scripture does not speak definitively on the topic of whether or not Satan UNDERSTANDS tongues or hears unspoken prayers, that should tell us that it just doesn't matter. Rather, scripture offers explicit information about Satan's abilities. Job tells us that whatever testing/tempting Satan performs in our life is only with God's permission (Job 1:6-12). I've already posted the text. Also, 1 Corinthians 10:13 gives us a promise regarding our temptations: we will never be tempted beyond what we can bear. In short, since scripture is completely sufficient to equip godly men and women (2Tim 3:16-17) and scripture does not warn us (implicitly or explicitly) about Satan's ability to hear our prayers then we shouldn't worry about it.

So, instead of telling people that Satan doesn't understand tongues when there is little to no scripture evidence of such, we should tell them that he is a defeated foe... defeated at Calvary. Not only that but the MAJORITY of our issues is not with him but with ourselves. The sin within is far more dangerous than a defeated foe. Yes, resist him and he will flee from you... but what are you doing about the sin within you? Are you resisting that? are you renewing your minds with God's word? Are you strengthening your faith?

2 Peter 1 - 10
4Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

10Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

No, we shouldn't ignore what God's word says about Satan and demons, but have you notice our Lord spends MUCH MORE time on US and cleansing us and renewing our minds and addressing the sin in us than he does on what Satan is doing, will do, or has done?
"No, we shouldn't ignore what God's word says about Satan and demons, but have you notice our Lord spends MUCH MORE time on US and cleansing us and renewing our minds and addressing the sin in us than he does on what Satan is doing, will do, or has done?"

Since when did I even care if Satan can understand? You are the one focusing if he can or not. I said he can, but my point behind that is simple: WHO CARES IF HE UNDERSTANDS?!?! HE CANT STOP IT!
LOL Secret Squirrel wow, I forgot about that show.

In any case... Trev, your point and Rev. Patton's points are well taken.

I guess not the points are.. moot.
You have a valid point, however there is NO CLEAR SCRIPTURE that gives the indication that the devil does not understand tongues. Thats only by one's interpretation.
Talking in another tongue means talking in another laguage. You are foolish.
Why don't most Baptist churches speak in tongues, it's recorded in Acts 2:4 that God bless us to speak with another tongue?

My first question is where in the bible did it say that ALL WILL speak in tongues? IF speaking in tonges is a gift of the Spirit why do some churches have tongue teaching classes? Does not the bible say that the person who speaks edifies himself? SO if this is the case why does it need to be done in a public setting when it builds up nobody but yourself? When will we take a step back and really examine the day of Pentecost, not for the glory of everbody speaking in an unknown tounge but for the fact that Jesus was preached to and 3000 men and women came to Christ in one day in one setting when there was a language barrier between them. Too many people shouting over the fact that they spoke in tongues and forget the fact that everybody was talking about Jesus.
You're hitting a very good point!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service