Fred Price once preached about the words in songs and how they can be misleading and lead you in the wrong direction.
He choose one of my favorites as his example Do Not Pass Me By. I was immediately in disagreement with him. Then I thought about what he said and I began, and still do, to examine the theology and christology in the words in the songs I hear. I began to find biblical errors.
What about you?

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus

I'm only human, I'm just a woman
Help me believe in what I could be
And all that I am
Show me the stairway, I have to climb
Lord for my sake, teach me to take
One day at a time

cho: One day at a time sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you
Just give me the strength
To do everyday what I have to do
Yesterdays gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Lord help me today, show me the way
One day at a time

Do you remember, when you walked among men
Well Jesus you know if you're looking below
It's worse now, than then
Cheating and stealing, violence and crime
So for my sake, teach me to take
One day at a time

Rough Side Of The Mountain
(written by Rev. F.C. Barnes)
(recorded by Rev. F.C. Barnes & Rev. Janice Brown)

Verse 1:
Oh lord, I�m strivin�,
tryin to make it through this barren land,
but as I go from day to day,
I can hear my Savior say,
"trust me child,
come on and hold my hand".

Chorus:
I�m comin up on the rough side of the mountain,
I must hold to God, His powerful hand.
I�m comin up on the rough side of the mountain,
I�m doin my best to make it in.

Chorus

Verse 2:
I�m comin� up Lord, although my burdens
sometime they press me down,
but if I can only keep this faith
I�ll have strength just to run this race;
I�m lookin� for my starry crown.

Chorus

Verse 3:
This old race will be soon be over,
they�ll be no more race to run.
And I will stand before God�s throne,
all my heartaches will be gone,
I�ll hear my Savior say, "welcome home".

I believe these are the lyrics to which you refer?
I do not see heresy.
1 a: adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma
b: denial of a revealed truth by a baptized member of the Roman Catholic Church
c: an opinion or doctrine contrary to church dogma
2 a: dissent or deviation from a dominant theory, opinion, or practice
b: an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards

By which definition do you claim heresy in the lyrics of these songs.
Help me as I failed to see it here.
I had to smile as I read.
Heresy is a bit strong.
Consider.
First song:
As humans, as orthodox believers we have moments to question, I do, and I have ample proof of what God has, is and will do in my life, but I am human. Life can be so bad the questions is asked, I mean God you came wrapped the Godhood in flesh and walked among us. Omnipotent, yes, but the universe is a huge place, maybe we got shuffled off to the side for a sec, do you remember?
Omnipresent, but some times I as a human have to wonder, are you paying attention, did you for an instant forget about me? Historically it is worse, in quantity if not also in quality of pain and suffering.
Now with billions to suffer it is worse. At the time of Jesus a calculated world wide population of 200,000 is less than the population in the USA. So with only one fifth of a million people the amount of pain and suffering per thousand persons had to have increased, so I think that is not heresy but an examination of reality.
What say you sir.

Be Blessed
CT

I agree we have to be vigilant in song selection and also in using scripture indiscriminately and out of context.

My belated condolences on your loss, I have five, one in Afghanistan but living in LA is just as dangerous.

The human lesson of the bible is that we be we all through time, people do what people do and have not changed no matter the culture, ethic or value system. Someone always wants to be the big dog and head of the pecking order. All four of the last of the X are there because of human behavior and they cover everything.

As the AME liturgy states "we should write these laws upon our hearts".
I don't see an issue with any of these songs.
I think you are being just a bit too critical of these songs- well the older songs really.
Songs like these helped keep people's sanity and salvation from day to day.
So why would it be wrong to sing these songs in your heart while you are going about your daily business?
If you don't like them or agree with them it is not right to plant that seed in someone else because YOU have an issue with it.
I agree these songs they are writing now are full of nothing but fluff but the older songs had true meaning and were birthed from true relationship, fasting, praying and devotion to God.
You should read more carefully.
I did not object to any song, I posed a question brought up by Rev. Fred Price.
I have not been critical of any song.
I did not say it was wrong, did I ? But to answer the question posed:
It would be wrong if the song lyrics are theologically incorrect and lead you to a false belief.
The question is about all songs and challenges the reader to examine the songs they know for the proper theology.
This is not a song but... I heard a preacher on the radio state the if we have a big problem then we have a small God and vice versa.
God is the same always no matter what our problems are. He may have been alluding to faith but that is not what he said and he mislead his listeners as to the nature of God.
There are songs that do the same thing in some lyrics, modern songs more than those of the past.

"....but the older songs had true meaning and were birthed from true relationship, fasting, praying and devotion to God." Your statement contains truth but that does not change the misguided theology that may be found in some songs.
Your defense defended what?
But if it is not hurting them in any way then why try to plant seeds of discord?
Sometimes I think we really take things a bit far.
Just a bit.
What is wrong with singing a song about climbing the rough side of the mountain?
How many days has it been so hard that you wanted to give up?
The Word says that ALL those that live for Jesus WILL suffer persecution and this includes those long, hard days when you feel the walls closing in on you. If we weren't going to face those hard and tough times then what need would these words be placed in scripture for us to hold on, be strong, don't lose faith, don't give up hope, belief, etc.?
I don't think singing these songs hurt anyone in any way however I believe they were birthed to give us strength.
It's sad that as people of God these days we place more bondages and yokes around people's necks when Jesus died to free us. We've had the yoke of sin around our neck and we come to Jesus, He removes the yoke and places it on His shoulders and then the church puts another yoke (a few more in some cases) and want to bind us to religion, condemnation and judgment.
If you want to be that "critical" then let's go all the way because the majority of what is done in the church is NOT scriptural and in some cases heresy but it is yet done, right?
So, I believe that if it is not offending, hurting or creating confusion then why bother to tear down another brother or sister for birthing their gift to be blessed by the world?
Lastly, don't listen to the supposed "advice" of immature boys who act more like some hurt child then a grown man. I did not answer the question in anger however I sensed that you came off in a rude way. I will forgive you and move on from it but don't allow the prejudices and hatred of others to fill you with prejudice against me and have no knowledge of me.
And your point is???
Then why post it here? It serves no purpose and adds nothing to the conversation.
Long as you know african american gospel and all of their other types of music has been together forever then you should be fine :)

Lets Go Get Stoned - Ray Charles
Lol musically it sounds just like them old timey(Post spiritual) african american gospel songs though
If we replace the word with stone with jesus...would it be gospel then? :)
I think all gospel music has its roots in worldly music though as is most groups of people had their culture of music before they had gospel music

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service