What define a person as a Jew instead of a Gentile or vice versa?

Today we have so much time being consumed in our world about who is Jewish and who is not.  I would like to invite all especially those who consider themselves to be Jewish to define what makes a person Jewish.  And in case someone says because Abraham was jewish I want a definition of what makes Abraham Jewish instead of a gentile.  I would like this discussion to be civilized and in an orderly fashion, this is a fact finding mission that will hopefully clear up any mis conception or confusion into who is who.

Views: 299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Sister Angela;

Abraham was not "jewish" it is my contention that there are no "Jewish" persons.. the correct term used in the bible is Israeli (those that are born in Israel) and HEBREW ! (Abraham was Hebrew) .
To be Hebrew ( which the Torah calls His people) means called out or taken out as such we are all now sons of Abraham for we too are called out. It is meant for us to be Hebrew not Jewish a slang term much like wop to Italians and other names assigned to various races. The Hebraic people embraced this term , but it does not make it right.
The term Gentile or "Goy" means outsider, and indeed as sinners we are out side the covenant . Once inside we are as much Hebrew as any other "Jew" as we are then considered "Grafted in" Is it not recorded that when they left Egypt that there was counted among them a number who were not of the twelve tribes, from many other tongues and tribes? \seems to me then that the inclusion of all was part of His (Elohim) plan long before Calvary.
I shall include this quote from article 9 of the 13 principals of the Netzari which states "We believe that the promises YHWH made to the twelve tribes are applicable to all. (Gen 49:11; Zech 8:23, Luke 15:11-32) "
and view any dissociation of persons due to race and or color to be as anti Semitic whether applied by Hebraic or other counsel . In other words this would not be an ideal followed even by Sem son of Noah.
I relaise now that I am not the first he he he he .. so I post this as is and shall read the rest and adjust accordingly if nesscesary. I know my sister that you are not Netzari, but as one I thought and felt our view point of interest to you

Daniel
Av Biet Din
messianic Sanhedrin
" Abraham was not "jewish" it is my contention that there are no "Jewish" persons.. the correct term used in the bible is Israeli (those that are born in Israel) and HEBREW ! (Abraham was Hebrew) ..."

Abraham was NOT an Israeli - NOR was he born in Israel.
Israel was not even a nation yet.
Israel is the name that the Lord gave Abraham's GRANDSON - Jacob.
Hebrew means to cross over or to come from the other side of the river - Abraham crossed the Euphrates to get to the land that he entered.
You are correct NV.
However, in reading Daniels statement I do not believe he stated Abraham was an Israeli. He actually said he was a hebrew. At least that is the way I read it above.

peace
Brother Keith, I will check that out.
Can you share the exact verse?
I think you misunderstood my statement.

I dont mean the Book of Daniel I mean Daniel the guy who made the statement above.

Or please clarify what you are asking me.

peace.
"...I dont mean the Book of Daniel I mean Daniel the guy who made the statement above..."

Hahahahahahahahahahah!
That was truly a very funny misunderstanding.

God bless :-)
Abraham not being born in Israel he could not be Israeli , and besides the 12 had not been though up yet .. lol
But Hebrew means "Called out" and as such he was called out of Ur .. to form the nation and many nations .. we too are called out from Sin, and darkness into light and life.
You are perfectly correct Keith, Daniel said Abraham was not Jewish He did not Abraham was an Israelite he said and stated quite clearly that Abraham was an Hebrew which is perfectly correct .
Newview I think everyone knows Abraham was not Jewish and that he was a gentile born a Hebrew. That is not in dispute
"...I think everyone knows Abraham was not Jewish and that he was a gentile born a Hebrew. That is not in dispute "

Oh.
Hahahah.
I didnt know that - so what are we disputing Sis? :-)
Sorry Newview if I misunderstand I assume you were under the impression we thought Abraham was Jewish.

Anyway he was not Jewish. So there is no dispute.

Really this is a fact finding mission where I hope will clarify things and give us all a better understanding. Really what I want to come out of this is for everyone to realise being a Jew or a Gentile does not really matter anymore for all who are walking in Christ. God is not just the God of the Jew anymore He is the God of the Gentile too and we don’t need to be claiming that this one is the real Jew or that one. It no longer matters, what matter is to believe in Jesus and walk the path of righteousness.

Once we get in the Kingdom I really don’t think there will be Jew or Gentile or Black or White these are just things that matters in this world and when we are in Christ we should not focus on things of this world only on the spiritual so that is the message I hope to get across to one and all.

I ask this question because I know no one can really give a clear cut answer, but it allow people to debate the subject objectively.

I am also hoping we will be presented with lots of facts that will aid our understanding of the historic part of the Bible. Plus we may even learn some Hebrew while we are at it.
no siter he became a "Hebrew" the day he left Ur .. as he was called out to found the nation.. a land of "Called out" ones first from Babylon then from egypt .

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service