par·a·dox (pār'ə-dŏks')
n.
A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking.

One exhibiting inexplicable or contradictory aspects: "The silence of midnight, to speak truly, though apparently a paradox, rung in my ears" (Mary Shelley).

An assertion that is essentially self-contradictory, though based on a valid deduction from acceptable premises.

A statement contrary to received opinion.

Cultural Dictionary
paradox

A statement that seems contradictory or absurd but is actually valid or true. According to one proverbial paradox, we must sometimes be cruel in order to be kind. Another form of paradox is a statement that truly is contradictory and yet follows logically from other statements that do not seem open to objection. If someone says, “I am lying,” for example, and we assume that his statement is true, it must be false. The paradox is that the statement “I am lying” is false if it is true.

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

walking on water
All praises to the Most High God...El Elyon! He is the Lord of my life and the lover of my soul. It is in him that I move and live and rejoice. God honors obedience...Amen!
Amen

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service