Why are most Pastors aren't homelitically sound?

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

because they are sticking to a format that is religiuos in nature and not reveal by the indwelling of the Holy spirit by fasting and prayer! 

i like that response

What is "homiletical soundness"? Are you talking about the approach to or style of preaching?

I took it as relating to the word homily meaning giving more light to the messenger then the actual scripture itself you can only find its real meaning in a very good bible dictionary because a regular dictionary is secular and does not contain knowledge of words that are theological in nature. It is like preaching more about the apostle Paul and his character than the actual word given to him by God and its true discernment in scripture. Then even when they do that they are not fully correct as to the nature or the persons character and that takes us to the soundness. This style is bad for spiritual warfare even Jesus said there comes a day when we must turn our plowshares and pruning hooks into swords proper discernment is what got most of the apostles killed in the first century AD and it has been watered down by roman and greek theologeans who has nothing to do with the children of Iseal.

It sounds like you took his comment to be one about the content of preaching, rather than the format. I would agree that a preacher's message should FOCUS on the words of scripture rather than on the historical background, or on the human author, or on any other subordinate details. Discussing such context is only useful if it helps us better understand the actual scriptural passage. 

So you mean to tell me there is an actual format for preaching and not ordered by the divine intervention of the Holy Spirit, if that is the case that would explain 90% of my real concerns.

Everything spoken or written has a format or a structure... sermons like Peter's in Acts 2, or Stephen's in Acts 7, or Paul's in Acts 13 have rather distinctive formats. The Holy Ghost will direct a speaker regarding the structure of a message, just as He will regarding the hermeneutics. 

How can you be sure this is of God are you lead by the spirit? Even you know deep down inside know the error of your ways and the people you decieve by the form of religion that only makes merchandise of the congregation in which you oversee.All I want to say is you need to understand the truth of what the bible is really saying and stop following mans understanding of doctrine and recieve the spirit of truth for the proper discerning of the spirit of the scriptures.Because the message of the bible is directed at the children of the tribe of Juda who have lost their identity through slavery. 400 years in a strange land was not Egypt for Abraham knew Egypt before God prophesied that to him. America is that strange land,and we are the people that are spoken of in that prophesy.Mr. Gill wake up out of your slumber learn the parables of Jesus in the Gospels to it full understanding and you will then see the errors of your ways. For in them are the mysteries of the true incident of the kingdom of heaven and the actual confirmation of what really happened in the beginning!

Since the topic of post was "homiletical soundness," I feel confident in saying your posts betray a certain ignorance. You are conflating "homiltetics" and "hermeneutics." The two words are distinct. Homiletics does not refer to doctrine, scripture interpretation, or 'what the bible is saying"... that is hermeneutics. Homiletics refers to delivery of the message, not the content.

Now, of course, every message is both hermeneutical and homiletical (every message has a way it uses scripture just as it has a way it is organized stylistically). If someone says that the hermeneutics of a message is more important than the homiletics, I might agree. But stylistic delivery is still important, so the Holy Ghost will lead a preacher in the homiletical approach (just as He will lead the preacher in the hermeneutics). Moreover, two preachers can have the same texts as subject, share the identical interpretation of the text, and yet deliver very different sounding messages according to their homiletical choices. 

Homiletics translates from the Greek as the "art of conversing." When we look at homiletics, we look at the techniques employed by the preacher in his conversation with the church. Will the preacher exhort, affirm, rebuke, tell a story, teach didactically, give a testimony? Will the preacher lecture or will he engage the church in a dialogue? Will the preacher speak out in a prophetic pronouncement to confront the hearers? Will he employ his ancestral musicality to lift the congregation into exultation? Will he use avuncular folksiness to gently persuade his listeners? These are all questions of style.

I still wonder what Pastor McCall may have specifically meant by "homiletical soundness." Some people say you haven't preached unless you've "whooped." There are others that flatly state that whooping is empty theatricality. I was actually wondering if Pastor McCall was adding to this debate with his post.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service