Yes, I understand some of the positions on women preachers. Yes, there are some Baptist churches and Apostolic Faith churches that oppose women preachers. I'm not picking on churches. I'm just letting you know the denominational and theological perspectives on women preachers. There are scriptures people use to justify their opposition to women preachers:

1st Corinthians 14:34-35:"34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church."

1st Timothy 2:12:"12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence."

From my perspective, 1st Corinthians 14:34-35 means that the women in the Corinthian church were asking the men out loud during church service on religious questions and they had to wait until they go home to ask their husbands questions. Also, 1st Timothy 2:12 means that women should not be dominant and overbearing towards men. Also, the man is the head of the household. These scripture passages were written by the Apostle Paul and they don't say about a woman preaching.

Where do I stand on women preachers? I want to inform you that yes, I do support women preachers. Acts 10:34 states that God is no respector of persons. He can use a woman to preach His word just as well as He can use a man. On Matthew 28:19, it's states that all believers, whether they're male or female, should go into all of the world to evangelize and make disciples, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. This scripture means that every Christian regardless of gender should preach the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Lost. All of us believers are ministers. Yes, it can be a woman preaching on the pulpit. But preaching the gospel is way beyond the pulpit.

On Judges 4:4, it specifies how Deborah is a prophetess and a Judge. And if you find Romans 16:1-16, it does specify women in the ministry being used by God. These are the scripture passages to support my position on women preachers.

Also, I want to say that if a woman is called to preach, she should preach. She shouldn't let traditions from man to stop her from answering the call to preach. Man does not determine who should be called to preach. God does determine who should be called to preach. If any of you women are ordained ministers or called to preach, I want to tell you to walk in your calling and don't let anybody stop you from answering your call to preach. If you are a woman who is called to preach, yet go to a church that won't let you preach, you should move to a church that accept women preachers.

Yes, there are well-known women who were anointed by God to preach. There are Gloria Copeland, Sheryl Brady, Paula White, Joyce Meyer(one of my favorite TV preachers), Marilyn Hickey, Sarah Bowling, Juanita Bynum, Darlene Bishop, Darlene Zschech, Karen Wheaton, Victoria Osteen, Kathryn Kulman, Aimee Semple McPherson, Taffi Dollar, and Anne Graham Lotz(The Daughter of Billy Graham). My point is that you shouldn't speak out against anything that is of God.

The point of the message is that the issue of Women Preachers is a huge controversy just as the issue of Tongues is. I hope that this message is a understanding and a blessing to you. If you agree with me, give me an amen. If you don't agree with me on this message, that's alright. Let's agree to disagree and not argue over petty stuff. Those who don't believe in women preachers are my brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus and I have nothing against them.

Views: 252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oohh Wee!!! I get to be 1st!
I affirm women in ministry, the way I see it if God called me, especially in the state of mind that I was in, I know that God can use anyone! I mean because I was really a FOOL. I know many of my female counterparts who were and are much more pius than I and so it only stands to reason that God can and does utilize them for ministry. I wonder why some fellas have such a hang up about this issue. Is it that women have such a propensity for spirituality because culturally they are more succeptable to vulnerability which is the essence of Calvary? Is it that they have the same propensity for kenosis or sel;f emptying which is the essence of the Incarnation? Or is it that vocally they are oft times more blessed with musicality and can out whoop us? I mean who can close like Doringa Clark-Cole? I don't know? I believe what ever task God has called you to is tailor made for you.
Brother Napoleon I can't believe you were ever a fool. Now I was a FOOL and sometimes still am. But I do know He certainly can lift you up and know what He has done for me. God will use those He chooses and it's not our concern or business to question it. I agree with the essence of our women as you so very well stated. By the way I'll keep looking for the post I had titled "Are We All Related". I do have one about tongues and don't think I'm going to get a lot of comments because it's too hard or touchy. Take care my Brother in Christ.
Brother Sudler I'm not in agreement with you on your take of what the passages mean in 1 Cor 14: 34, 35 or Matt 28:19 because I don't read that and you did state that it was YOUR perspective. I only try to read what God says. In 1 Cor 14:34, 35 it was clear that women were not to speak but wait until they got home and ask their husbands. I just can't try to say something (not saying you are, please believe that) to not make others angry with me. It wasn't because they were loud in church, he stated they should be silent and wait until they get home to ask. In Matthew 28:19 go back to 28:16 and you'll see it was just the 11 disciples and not both gender or anyone else. Jesus was speaking to them alone for them to go out. Now I will give you an AMEN and not to be certain that the women won't frown at me because I agree that God can use those He chooses and I believe He touches both gender and in my heart I feel a woman can preach and teach. He used Ruth, Deborah and others as prophets. But what I won't do is try to use my judgement of Gods Words to mean something different. To me it's like I see pictures of female angels and little baby angels. I feel that is our human nature to use those characters as warm and fuzzy and feel good but I don't believe it. I haven't heard of one female angel named in the bible. As a matter of fact I have read some material by some Jewish believers and they have lots of other names for angels that I had never heard of except used in the Teenage Ninja Turtles. I just don't know. But all I'm saying is I don't think God disalllows women to preach and teach or will hold it against them. Now I will (and I'm gonna start a discussion on this one too) say I disagree with those that like the same sex being ordained or holding positions and we as a people are alright with that to be totally wrong. But once again that's our WE ARE THE WORLD stuff and let's hold hands and sing cum by ya (if you know what I mean). There are some things I feel I just won't know are understand until I stand before Him. There are things I have posted with no comments and will be others that I will post with no comments because I feel we are afraid to touch certain questions and it's because we all want to Just Get Along. God Bless You.
I am not against ordaining homosexuals. Hold on hear me out......
I am not an advocate of singling out only one branch from the tree of sin! So no i am not an advocate for discrimination.
I do believe however, that if anyone is wanton in their heart and unabashidly sinful theyu SHOULD NOT be ordained. That goes for all sins. We shouldn't ordain whoremongers, liars, theives, and the list goes on and on.....

Be on the look out for an new post concerning homosexuality... I know that one is going to be a hotbed!
I'm going to be looking out for that one Brother Harris. But one thing, how does it look for them to be spreading God's Word not that they can't but if man lies with man and woman with woman what will be their take on homosexuallity? Will they tell a child it is wrong or anyone else? I don't think they would or they wouldn't be what they are. I don't know it's another one that is going to be a hotbed as you stated. I know it's not up to me to judge and I should only judge myself but the bible clearly states (from Paul and what Sodom and Gomorrah was full of it) its wrong.
I just started the post look for it...
Brothers, let's get something straight God never was against women spreading the gospel through teaching, preaching, healing or prophesy.

As a woman who preaches, teach and allow God to use me in the gifts which He has given. A paraphrased scripture "making are called and few are chosen". Truly, I can say that I am a chosen vessel who is walking in her calling.

Now, I am going to deal with 1st Corinthians 14:34-35:"34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church." Also, 1st Timothy 2:12:"12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence."

Maturity of Faith
11Tomothy 9-15 deals with the being mature in your Faith can only be judge by God not man, or denomination doctrine.

Part I
1st Corinthians 14:34-35:"34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church."

My question: does this mean woman should not preach or teach. It is clear that women prayed and prophesied in public places (1st Corinthians 11:5). Also, chapters 12-14 that women were given spiritual gifts and encouraged to exercise them in the body of Christ. Women have contributed and participate in worship service then and now.

1st Corinthians 14:34-35 seems to be talking about unity not the role of women in the church. If a house is divided, it will fall.

The Corinthian Culture and its laws
Well, I decided to study the Corinthian culture and its laws. It clearly states that women could not answer questions in public. The set in the temple: men sat in the front and the women were in the back. The temple did not have speakers or microphones. So this made hearing the teachings of the Bible hard for a NEW Convert (The Corinthian Women).
The men were educated not the women. Anything that a women needs to know they must ask their husband.

NEW Converts: The Corinthian Women
Apparently, some women felt it was their right as Christian to ask questions in public, of course the Law did not permits this. This cause division in the church/Temple! In addition, in those times women were not taught religion and other skills for survival as thoroughly as men were. Paul basically, saying that any questions you have, ask your husband at home not during worship service.

Disobedience: Corinthian Men
Why the men disobey the Word which was taught by the Priest? 1st Corinthians 14:35 “And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church."

The men in the Corinthian culture believe the less women knew; more power they had.
Let’s look at the world NOW: Iran, Iraq, Turkey and many other third World countries who see women as second class citizens. Also, other non-Christian cultures believe the same way. Women should not know anything unless the men tell them. Because of this mentality the world is going to Hell with discrimination against man kind. When we as a people do not follow God Plan then destruction occurs.

It was about control not unity.

Part II
1Timothy2: 12, this passage has been interpreted fit need when others want to exercise their power. This scripture clearly prohibited the Ephesians women, not all women from teaching. Again, having knowledge of the Word or Maturity! Paul never forbids women from teaching. He commend co-worker Priscilla, taught Apollo’s, the great preacher (Acts 18:24-26), Phoebe worked in the church (Romans 16:1) Mary, Tryphena and Tryphisa were the Lord’s workers (Roman 16:6,12) as Euodia and Syntyche (Philippians 4:2). They are many other women who held important roles in the church.

Genesis 1:27; justify women called into ministry, be the Father. When you disobey the Word, you are disobeying God.

Denominational Doctrine does not equal to any men account of what a women should be doing as a Christian according to men standards. I feel that when we start judging what God has already spoken. We are walking in disobedience.
Thank you Dr Gadsden and preach and teach on and follow God's calling to you. May God continue to bless you.
Thank you!
Our afirmations/beliefs on the things of God are at best infantile. We must do what God has for us, Whether it be a woman or a man, God has created them for his good pleasure. Down-right shameful for one to try and say who God has or hasn't called because of Gender when the Bible says" there is no mare male/female" etc..., some have a problem and some don't.

Too take to the next level, The kingdom of God is being built, so let the builders build. One thing we have to bear in mind, if they are not of God then they and their works will come too nothing.
Enough said my Brother in Christ.
Amen! Amen!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service