The false teaching is that Jesus taught tithing in Matthew 23:23 which, they say, is clearly in the New Testament.
The problem here is the arbitrary division of our Bible. The New Covenant did not begin at the birth of Jesus, but at his death. Tithing is not taught to the church after Calvary! When Jesus discussed tithing in Matthew 23:23, he was only commanding obedience to the Old Covenant Law which he endorsed and supported until Calvary. In Matthew 23:2, 3 Jesus told his followers to obey the scribes and Pharisees "because they sit in Moses’ seat." There is not a single New Testament Bible text which teaches tithing after Calvary – period!

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ROFL... Brother Anthony. 'fgwfdgbqid' love it.

Newview, like you, I think the tenth is a good baseline and place to start for giving, God just loves a cheerful gift.

The worry I have, is sometimes there those whom are struggling to put their tenth in the church coffers, when really they are the ones that need to be taking a tenth out!!
I concur with your position Sis. Newview . . .

I tithe and yet I don't believe that tithing is taught for the NT Church.
I do believe that it seems a good minimum to give or a good base line - some where to start.

I believe that we are to take care of the 'Body' of Christ the way natural Israel took care of the Levites (priesthood).
I think it is a sin to make tithing mandatory as it is in some churches, I think giving should be from the heart, for your info I gave about 20% to the work of ministry last year.
Tithe, love offering, who cares what you call it!?!? Many people say that we are to give tithes to the Church, while others say that a love offering is only required now. Truth be told, most who push for the "love offering" offer less than they would if they were commanded to tithe. Some love, huh?

No matter what you call it, it is still needed for the Church for the following reasons:

-funding the spread of the Gospel
-feeding the poor
-taking care of widows & orphans
-housing the homeless
-taking care of the expenses of the Ministers of the Gospel

Oh and PLEASE, dont anyone be stupid and say something like "Well the Ministers shouldn't horde the money" because we know that already!!! You never hear someone rebuttal taking care of the poor with the statement "get a job" do you????
Amen.
My brother have you considered Luke 11:42. woe unto you for ye tithe rue and herbs....or luke 18 :12. I fast twice a week and tithes of all I posses
" My brother have you considered Luke 11:42. woe unto you for ye tithe rue and herbs....or luke 18 :12. I fast twice a week and tithes of all I posses "

That was in the NT but it was before Jesus went to the Cross and the Church was born.
walk with me please what of 2nd Corinthians 9:1-8
2nd Corinthians 9:1-8

I love those passages Pastor, but where does it say anything about tithing?
I want to walk light but they speak to tithing, also what of Hebrew 7:4-9 I use these scriptures and they're are more. I say this to say when I was in the baptist church.. We were taught to learn to read between the Scriptures, by the guide of the Holy Ghost
Pastor,
Please explain Hebrews 7:4-9.
It speaks to giving of tithes in that even Father Abraham[Father of the Faithfull] paid tithes.vs4 It also speal of the levites[priets,pastors] to take tithes of the people Vs5 etc

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service