for those who believe water baptism is required for salvation why the thief on the cross did not need to be baptized to be saved. A common reply to that question is: “The thief on the cross was still under the Old Covenant and therefore not subject to this baptism. He was saved just like anyone else under the Old Covenant.” So, in essence, the same people who say the thief did not need to be baptized because he was “under the Old Covenant” will use John 3:5 as “proof” that baptism is necessary for salvation. They insist that Jesus is telling Nicodemus that he must be baptized to be saved, even though he too was under the Old Covenant. If the thief on the cross was saved without being baptized (because he was under the Old Covenant), why would Jesus tell Nicodemus (who was also under the Old Covenant) that he needed to be baptized?
the only baptism that washes away sin and brings salvation is that of the holy spirit..

When we are born again we are washed by the holy spirit, the word baptism means to (wash) at the very moment one becomes born again, they are washed and made sinless,the bible says,

1 Corinthians 6

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Notice verse 11 says we are washed by the spirit of God! not by water, the water is just an outward showing of whats going on spiritually,the water it self, has no power to wash away sins,we baptize out of obedience as did Christ,not that Christ had any sins of his own to have washed away, but in keeping things in order.

Mathew 3:1-13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. 16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

we obey once we become saved, its salvation and our new nature that causes us to want to obey God,not the other way around,so we see and understand that water baptism doesn't save, but being baptized with the holy spirit washes away sins,and brings salvation.

God Bless

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sis. Newview,

I do not believe in beating a dead horse.

The author of this thread did a great job explaining the purpose of water baptism, and I stand in agreement. Therefore, I really do not have any further comments to make and I will not exhaust myself making repetitive statements. I don't believe in going toe-to-toe with the Word, because then it becomes argumentative even when you're being polite to one another.

Sorry, but I have said all I am going to say on this topic. I prefer to move on.

Peace in Jesus
Ok. :-)
has nothing to do with the cov...we are clearly taught that we are saved by grace not by works...baptism is a work..
GB
Duckonia,
Have you ever been told you look like Prince? :-)
Is that eyeliner you are wearing?
No I have not been told that..and no I don't wear eyeliner..
GB
...That would be a "work" to obtain salvation. Salvation is a gift that comes by faith.

Zeal -
The men most definately did have faith because they believed what Peter said about Jesus - so there.
But when the men at Jerusalem that had already believed in the gospel that was preached to them went on and ASKED Peter what must they do - why didnt Peter just say "Well you believe now - so dont do anything more to have your sins remitted"........
or
Why didnt Peter reply "You believe the gospel now - so now only repent to have your sins remitted"
or
Tell me - why..did..Peter..tell..them..to..also..get..baptized..for..the..remission..of..sins..if..it..was..not..necessary???
First of all, thank you for giving me the privilege to respond to you. I like you despite whatever you think of me.

I believe that faith without works is dead being in vain. Therefore, IF you believe then you will DO according to that belief. However, works do not purchase salvation. Salvation can only be purchased in blood. Someone has to die for you to live because the wages of sin is death. But what? But the GIFT of G-d is eternal life. Through Water baptism? No. Through keeping Torah? No. Through Yeshua haMashiach our master/teacher. A gift is something you are given. A WAGE is something you earn. We have earned death, but we are GIVEN life. There is nothing you can do to earn life. When you get baptized you are only DEMONSTRATING what you believe.

So understand. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get baptized. What I'm saying is that if you were in jail and heard the gospel you would not have to physically prove your belief in order to be saved. G-d knows your heart and so we circumsize our hearts. You can still circumcise your flesh if you want but it is really the heart that is going to be the determining factor because many people are circumcised and don't DO according to that circumcision and many people have been baptized that later seek re-baptism. What matters to YAH is the heart. The outward show is for your benefit, not his.

Isn't it ironic that it is I, the Israelite, am telling you that you cannot earn grace through works?

Quite.

Shalom
"...What I'm saying is that if you were in jail and heard the gospel you would not have to physically prove your belief in order to be saved..."

Well, what are we arguing about?

I said already that if there was something hindering a new believer from getting baptized - after REPENTING they've done all they could do - because God indeed knows that they believe and that they have repented. :-)
Sis. Newview,

After the reading the truth about water baptism for the umpteenth time, are you still sticking by your belief that it is a prerequisite for salvation?

Just asking out of curiosity.
When Peter tells the new believers to do something different than what he told them back in the early days of the Church - I will change.

So lets let that 'dead horse' lie in peace, Sis :-)
YOU GOT IT...
GOD BLESS
Salvation doesn't come by our faith it comes by the faith of Christ..faith also being a work.
works of faith..we are saved only when we are elect from before the foundation of thw world..
GB

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service