for those who believe water baptism is required for salvation why the thief on the cross did not need to be baptized to be saved. A common reply to that question is: “The thief on the cross was still under the Old Covenant and therefore not subject to this baptism. He was saved just like anyone else under the Old Covenant.” So, in essence, the same people who say the thief did not need to be baptized because he was “under the Old Covenant” will use John 3:5 as “proof” that baptism is necessary for salvation. They insist that Jesus is telling Nicodemus that he must be baptized to be saved, even though he too was under the Old Covenant. If the thief on the cross was saved without being baptized (because he was under the Old Covenant), why would Jesus tell Nicodemus (who was also under the Old Covenant) that he needed to be baptized?
the only baptism that washes away sin and brings salvation is that of the holy spirit..

When we are born again we are washed by the holy spirit, the word baptism means to (wash) at the very moment one becomes born again, they are washed and made sinless,the bible says,

1 Corinthians 6

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Notice verse 11 says we are washed by the spirit of God! not by water, the water is just an outward showing of whats going on spiritually,the water it self, has no power to wash away sins,we baptize out of obedience as did Christ,not that Christ had any sins of his own to have washed away, but in keeping things in order.

Mathew 3:1-13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. 16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

we obey once we become saved, its salvation and our new nature that causes us to want to obey God,not the other way around,so we see and understand that water baptism doesn't save, but being baptized with the holy spirit washes away sins,and brings salvation.

God Bless

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Duckonia,
Have you been baptized in water?
I'm sorry, but I have to ask the relevance of this question?
I'm sorry, but I have to ask the relevance of this question?

Was that directed at my question to Duckonia?
People are going so hard for water baptism, which is actually an Old Testament prophetic practice. The TRUE baptism that JESUS was sent to do, and sends HIS ministers to do is the baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT, not water baptism. This can EASILY be proven with scriptures from the epistles of the Apostles.
No actually - just within the last 50 or so years (especially in the West) they have been moving away from it.
You gotta ask yourself 'why'.

Arrogance?
Laziness?
A new revelation?

Why in places (wealthy nations) that have no excuse for getting baptized - do the most excusing?
Its not like we live in deserts and have no access to water.
or
We are all sitting in prison and the wardens are blocking baptizms to be performed.
or
We live in icy Siberia where most bodies of water are frozen over (although the new believers there break the ice so that they can be baptized like Jesus and Peter commanded).

All this makes me think about the scripture which advised us that " to whom much is give - much is required "
Believers that have less than us break their necks to follow the word of God but - we on the other hand- find it all so unnecessary to go on and do what the scriptures say.
WE ARE BAPTISED AS A RESULT OF SALVATION then we Obey..we only obey after we are saved... Amen?
GB
That all sounds good, but you have to be REAL with this one: which made the difference in your life and soul, the water baptism, or the baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT?

GOD has used water baptism in times past and even in times present (according to your faith, be it unto you). However, the REAL difference maker has ALWAYS been the baptism of the HOLY GHOST. There has never been a time when such happened that there wasn't a difference. The same cannot be said for water baptism, sadly.

So the question again: which made the difference in your life and soul, the water baptism, or the baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT?
baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT
Thank you. Anyone else want to give this simple question a simple answer?
Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
I also agree with this.
So who on this board teaches that baptism in water?
None of you guys? :-)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service