HISTORY & FUTURE OF HOLINESS: As a movement and doctrine.


HISTORY & FUTURE OF HOLINESS: As a movement and doctrine.

This group is meant to reflect on the the history and to project the future of Holiness as a movement and doctrine.

Members: 36
Latest Activity: Jan 24, 2012

Paul the Apostle
First and foremost amongst Pentecostal Pioneers must stand Paul, once a persecutor of Christ, then a proclaimer of Christ. Once he burnt with indignation against the Blood bought Church but after conversion, commissioning, consecration and crushing he planted it, preached to it and protected it. He planted the very first Pentecostal churches across the Greek, Roman and Gentile world. This is his story.

American Pentecostal Pioneers The Pentecostal movement is by far the largest and most significant Christian movement in the world today. It began in 1901 with only a few students in a Bible School in Topeka, Kansas and now numbers around 250,000,000 denominational Pentecostals with another 250,000,000 charismatics, or ‘neo-Pentecostals.’

Although the modern Pentecostal movement traces its beginnings to the United States, it owed much of its basic theology to earlier British Perfectionist movements. For information on these see the British Pentecostal Pioneers section of this website.

The initial Pentecostal churches were produced by the holiness movement prior to 1901 and, though they were notional Pentecostals rather than experimental adherents, their theology and hunger inevitably led to the experience of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.

The first "Pentecostals" in the modern sense appeared in 1901 in the city of Topeka, Kansas in a Bible School run by Charles Fox Parham, a holiness teacher and former Methodist pastor. Significantly, on January 1, 1901, a young lady called Agnes Ozman was baptized in the Holy Spirit with speaking in tongues. Within a few days about half the student body had received the Holy Spirit with the evidence of tongues. Through the press and Parham’s campaign ministry the Pentecostal message was widely disseminated.

It was not until 1906, however, that Pentecostalism achieved worldwide attention through the Azusa Street revival in Los Angeles led by the African-American preacher, William Joseph Seymour. When a student of Parham, he was invited to pastor a black holiness church in Los Angeles in 1906. This is where the Spirit broke out in great power and for over three years, the Azusa Street "Apostolic Faith Mission" conducted three services a day, seven days a week, where thousands of seekers received the baptism in the Holy Spirit and spoke in new tongues.

Soon the American land was awash with Pentecostal preachers who propagated the renewing and refreshing message of Pentecost.

Many visitors to Azusa Street returned home to start new movements and denominations. Gaston B. Cashwell brought three entire groups into the Pentecostal stream. Charles Harrison Mason founded the Church of God in Christ, which, by the 1990’s was by far the largest Pentecostal denomination in North America, claiming some 5,500,000 members in 15,300 local churches. William H. Durham came from Chicago to Azusa and then led thousands of mid-western Americans and Canadians into the Pentecostal movement. His "finished work" theology of gradual progressive sanctification, which he announced in 1910, led to the formation of the Assemblies of God in 1914. By 1993 the AG had over 2,000,000 members in the U.S. and some 25,000,000 adherents in 150 nations of the world.

Others like Frank Bartleman, Florence Crawford, John G. Lake and F. F. Bosworth were powerfully used of God to spread the message around the nation and then the world during those great days. It is on their foundation that the Pentecostal movement was built and it was their legacy that inspired Pentecostals through the 20th century to revive the fires and see the movement spread over the entire globe. Further successive waves of the Spirit brought new personaliteis in their wake - Aimee Semple McPherson, Kathryn Kuhlmann, Oral Roberts William Branham and a host of others.

Discussion Forum

No Condemnation doesn't mean No Rules

Started by Servant J. A. C. Majors Jul 29, 2010. 0 Replies

I have noticed a great decline in the dress code of Holiness (and other) churches. While I am very traditional in doctrine, I'm not one to condemn people to hell over how they dress, but even still…Continue

Tags: clothing, code, Dress

The Purpose of It

Started by Servant J. A. C. Majors. Last reply by Preacher Jun 21, 2010. 19 Replies

A lot of people think that "Holiness" was only about the clothes you wear, and jumping and dancing, but holiness was about looking at life from a "self improvement" view. Holiness was about…Continue

Holiness should be a way of life to all, yet it s a denomination as well to some, Why Not!

Started by Servant J. A. C. Majors May 13, 2010. 0 Replies

The word "Holiness" was attributed to a movement and a denomination which is what this group is saying.  This doesn't mean others not associated with this movement or denomination should not obey the…Continue

The Holiness Church

Started by Servant J. A. C. Majors Feb 16, 2010. 0 Replies

People are not being filled with the Holy Ghost the way they used to be filled.  When one was filled with the Holy Ghost, it was a true and visible change that took place in that individual.  Why are…Continue

Comment Wall


You need to be a member of HISTORY & FUTURE OF HOLINESS: As a movement and doctrine. to add comments!

Comment by Preacher on June 13, 2010 at 8:18am
Revelation 18;4
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 13, 2010 at 2:14pm

Robert A. Brown (1872-1948).

Robert Alexander Brown was born in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland he had a godly mother of Methodist stock who left her mark on him from an early age. As a young man he set off for a life in London where he joined the police force and where he enjoyed popularity, drink and the things of the world. While back visiting his home in Enniskillen he attended meetings held by his cousin George Reid, it was in these meetings that he was mightily converted. It was not long until a real fire and passion for souls burnt in his heart. There was little opportunity within the local churches to give vent to this fire but he along with friends would meet from home to home and in the open air to preach and testify. In 1898 along with two of these friends they set off for America. While on the boat he would witness to any and all when opportunity arose. After arriving in New York on a Friday he was found in the open-air preaching on the Sunday. This was to be the beginning of a long ministry in this great city. He had a burning desire to serve God as a preacher and so initially he worked during the day in the New York police department and at night studied for the ministry. Later he went on to work as a civil engineer while continuing his studies. Eventually he was ordained in the Methodist Episcopal Church.

In 1907 some initial signs of Pentecost came to New York, first to some in A.B. Simpson's training school and then in a Holiness Mission where three received the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues. After being put out of this holiness mission they met from home to home holding tarrying meetings. There was a great spirit of prayer among them as they continued to look for an outpouring of the Spirit. In May of that year as a result of these meetings two young ladies opened Glad Tidings Hall. In June 1908 Robert with two friends, one of which was overseeing a mission in the Bronx attended their first Pentecostal meetings. Robert believed he already had received the Holy Ghost and didn't like to hear anything different to his set opinions. Initially he resisted but soon came to see his need of the Baptism in the Holy Ghost. For three months he sought God in prayer and fasting for the Baptism. This was a terrible time of conflict against discouragement and accusation but he prevailed in prayer, overcame and received his Baptism in the Holy Ghost when he spoke forth in tongues.

It was not long before Robert felt Marie Burgees who had been one of those young ladies who started the mission was to be his life's partner. Five of her family had died of TB and when just a teenager she also was dieing but through prayer God healed her at the age of nineteen. At the same time she had a vision of Jesus asking her "Will you forsake all and follow Me?" Marie cried out from her heart "Yes, Lord, all." For two years she was trained at the Moody Bible Institute and longed to go as a missionary having no thought of responding to Robert's proposals, but God spoke to her and so in 1909 they were married. They were to become a great soul winning team who laboured faithfully in unity together.

In 1914 he made a visit to England and ministered at the Whitsuntide convention in Sunderland alongside other great pioneers. After that from July through August he visited his beloved homeland and ministered at the Full Gospel Tent convention held in Bangor by the young George Jeffreys. During the convention at Bangor he rescued some believers from drowning. How glad he must have been to see Pentecost coming to his homeland. While there the 1st World War broke out causing a swift return to the States. Pastor Brown was a man of about six feet tall, red hair, thin but with a powerful composure. Lester Sumrall said of his ministry that he "was a fierce man in the pulpit, as he preached against ungodliness, wickedness in high places and sin of all kinds. In his Christian work there was no playing around. He was a warrior, but also a peacemaker."

His church in America became a great stop off point for travelling preachers and missionaries from Britain, Europe and elsewhere in the world. For 15 years he worked as an engineer as well as faithfully and effectually pastoring. Under such fiery and evangelistic leadership the church grew rapidly. Since the days of being in the small original Hall four moves had to be made to accommodate the people joining them. In the 1921 they took a great step of faith and purchased a very large old Baptist church which they called Glad Tidings Tabernacle. They promised God that if He helped them pay it off they would make it a "soul saving missionary church." It took just four years to pay off the large mortgage and to be free financially. After that their finances were poured into foreign missions. The church was always equally mixed between black and white he made no difference between people. His altar calls were always direct and powerful, he never missed an opportunity to call sinners to repentance and his altar call's always marked the minds of visiting preachers. He was quite happy for other's to minister to those seeking healing or the baptism, his consuming priority was souls. After most meetings in the church the prayer room downstairs always had believers in it seeking the Baptism or praying for God to move in power. This prayer room was always open. The church supported large evangelistic rallies in the city and further a field and had their own weekly radio broadcast. In 1930 Robert and Marie were invited to come to the great Kingsway Whitsuntide Convention in London. Donald Gee noted his "deep evangelistic passion" and his "earnest appeals to saints to be faithful and sinners to repent." Their annual conventions in New York ran on a continual basis from about 1908 straight through to the end of their days. Preachers such as Donald Gee, Smith Wigglesworth and many others would minister at these.

God abundantly answered their hearts desire in making it a missionary church both in giving financially and giving labourers to go to other nations. The two years proceeding his death it was recorded that more finance poured into this one church for world missions than any other of the 5 thousand Assemblies of God churches, it was also the biggest of all these churches. They set an example to the whole movement. Also over these years the church supported more than 50 missionaries on different fields. After more than 40 years as Pastor he died suddenly in his own home in February of 1948. Marie reluctantly but ably carried on the work maintaining the numbers at over 500 till she died in 1971 at the age of 90.

Robert A. Brown was a true Pastor who constantly done the work of an evangelist.

by Keith Malcomson.
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 13, 2010 at 2:12pm

T.B. Barratt (1862-1940)

Thomas Ball Barratt was born in Albaston, England on the 22nd of July, 1862 into a family of strong Wesleyan Methodists. His family moved to Norway while he was yet very young. As a Methodist minister Barratt had Pastored several churches in Norway, translated a number of books from English (he was bilingual) and defended the Methodist cause in Norway. He went to America in 1906 to raise funds for their Mission work in Oslo. He went to A.B. Simpson's missionary home and while their had a mighty 'touch' of the anointing of God. He at first called this the baptism in the Holy Ghost. An opportunity arose to testify at a gathering of Bishops and Evangelists in a large Methodist church where they were asking "How shall we evangelise New York?" After the preaching the isles and altar was filled with many of these ministers on their faces crying out for the power of the Holy Ghost.

While in New York he heard of the outpouring at Los Angeles which prompted him to earnestly seek God. While staying and praying with his Irish friend Pastor Brown, the fire of God fell upon him and he began to speak and sing in tongues. He said it was a night they would never forget. For twenty years he had been a minister without this blessing. With this came a burden of prayer "At times I had seasons of prayer in the Spirit when all New York, the United States, Norway, Scandinavia and Europe, my beloved ones and friends, lay like an intense burden on my soul. Oh, what power was given in prayer! My whole being was at times as if it were on fire inside, and then I would quiet down into sweet songs in a foreign language. Oh, what praises to God arose from my soul for His mercy! I felt as strong as a lion, and know now from whence David and Samson got their strength."

In the years leading up to this time a great hunger and heart cry was ascending from evangelical believers in Sweden, Germany, Holland and across Europe. He did not leave America with the hoped for finance but he said he was leaving with 'a blessing of greater worth than every cent in America.' Upon returning to Norway two months later Barratt began to preach this Pentecostal message in Oslo. Hundreds at a time began to receive the Holy Ghost and this movement spread like fire, although amidst much opposition. 'Folk from all denominations are rushing to the meetings many are seeking salvation and souls are being gloriously saved. Hundreds are seeking a clean heart, and the fire is falling on the purified sacrifice.' Just one incident in these meetings was of one preacher who spoke in four separate languages which he did not previously know, one of them being English. Then he broke into prophesy calling sinners to Christ. Great crowds flocked to public meetings and ministers came from other European countries, such as Boddy from England, Lewi Pethrus from Sweden and Pastor Paul from Germany, hungry to receive.

An invitation came from A.A. Boddy in England and so in September 1907 Barratt held six weeks of meetings at Sunderland which commenced the Pentecostal movement in Britain. Concerning these meetings he said 'We have a waiting meeting in the vestry after each service…the fire falls every day. Hallelujah! The meeting last night lasted till 3 o'clock this morning' The daily newspapers quickly picked up on these manifestations and began to report what was happening impartially. One paper called Barratt the Evan Roberts of the North. Of this time Barratt says 'the eyes of the religious millions of Great Britain are now fixed upon Sunderland.'

But before long there was probably more opposition from the religious press in Britain to this Pentecostal experience than any where else. Over these years Barratt was instrumental in taking Pentecost to Sweden, Switzerland, Holland and even India. Later in 1909 after ministering in Syria, Palestine and India he returned and spoke at the Sion College annual Convention in London then at the now annual Sunderland convention. He sent out a regular paper called 'The Victory of the Cross' published in German, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Spanish and Russian. His books and writings were of great influence to Pentecostal leaders and churches across Europe.

In 1910 in answer to a Divine call he started Pentecostal Centres in Copenhagen, Gothenburg and Christiania. These were to be years of building unity between revival centres in Europe and of building up the Church of God as a living witness. For the rest of his days he pastored the Filadelfia Church in Oslo though he continued to travel, especially in Europe. His hearts desire was to have Jesus as the centre of the church and all that they did. He said 'As regards salvation by justification we are Lutherans. In baptismal formula, we are Baptists. As regards sanctification, we are Methodists. In aggressive evangelism we are as the Salvation Army. But as regards the baptism in the Holy Spirit, we are Pentecostal.'

He made one last visit to Britain in 1935 at the invitation of the AOG and held a convention in Sunderland, the birthplace of this great move. Smith Wigglesworth was also in attendance at these meetings. The great Victoria hall was packed with crowds from near and far. He preached on The Personality of the Holy Spirit. The power and glory of the Spirit swept across those gathered. This work of God that had started 28 years before in this very town was still fully Pentecostal and marching forward in the land by the power and grace of God.

It was in 1939 at Stockholm that he was chosen as President of the first European Pentecostal Conference, just one year before his death in 1940. After this conference some German delegates were arrested almost immediately upon returning home. But God took his servant before the storm broke upon his beloved Europe. At his funeral they sang songs which were all composed by Barratt and Lewi Pethrus preached that farewell sermon. Later on his gravestone was engraved with a likeness of him hugging his precious Bible.

Thomas Ball Barratt truly was a Pioneer of Pentecost in Europe.

by Keith Malcomson.
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 13, 2010 at 2:10pm

Smith Wigglesworth (1859-1947).

Smith Wigglesworth was born in the year 1859 in Yorkshire just ten miles from Bradford. His was a very poor family and at the age of six he was working in the fields pulling and cleaning turnips. At seven he went to work in a woollen mill each day for 12 hours. All this left him without any formal education at this formative age. From his earliest years he had a deep hunger for God. His grandmother was an old fashioned primitive Methodist. She would take him along to these old fashioned revival meetings. She would have been about twelve years old when John Wesley made his last of twenty visits to Bradford. When he was eight years old she took him to to one of these revival meetings, as the believer's danced around a big stove clapping and singing about the Lamb, he looked with faith to the Lamb of Calvary and was born again. At testimony meetings when he would stand to testify he would burst into tears out of frustration of his inability to speak. One memorable night as he wept three old men came to him and laid their hands upon him. The Spirit of God came upon him and from then on he was able to witness for his Christ. The first person he led to his Saviour was his own mother. When ten years old he was confirmed at the Episcopal Church, as the Bishop laid hands upon him he was filled with a great consciousness of Gods presence similar to that which he would receive forty years later when Baptised in the Holy Ghost. When thirteen his family moved to Bradford and attended the Methodist church. Three years later the Salvation Army opened in Bradford where he joined them in all nights of prayer and fasting and in reaching souls on the street. At work he came under the godly influence of a Plymouth Brethern man who taught him about water Baptism and the second coming of Christ.

At twenty he moved to Liverpool for three years which was a powerful time of soul winning on the streets and among children. When he returned he married 'Polly' who was working with the Salvationists, he started his own plumbing business which soon swallowed up all his time. Through busyness he grew very cold in heart but his wife burnt brighter. Soon he came back to the Lord and over the next years burned brighter still in winning the lost to Christ. Every day he went out to work his heart cry was to win souls. Every week he would gather sick people from Bradford and take then to a work in Leeds where the sick were prayed for, he saw many miracles before his eyes. The leaders were going away to the holiness Keswick convention and left the reluctant Wigglesworth in charge at the meeting, but to his amazement he saw a crippled Scotsman healed. Shortly after this he made his stand for healing and holiness and opened a weekly meeting in Bradford where they prayed for the sick and saw mighty miracles on a regular basis. Then he was hit badly by appendicitis, the doctor said he would shortly die but God healed him and raised him up. Though seeing the lost saved and bodies healed he still felt he was lacking the scriptural signs of the fullness of a true Pentecost.

It was in October 1907 at the age of 48 that he first heard that a group at Sunderland under A.A.Boddy were speaking in tongues and operating gifts. Like himself this group was part of The Pentecostal League run by Reader Harris, so he made his journey their. His rough blunt seeking for these tongues was mis-understood by some. A number of friends warned him that tongues were of the devil. After four days of seeking God he was much blessed but had not spoke in tongues. Before leaving he went to the church manse to say good-bye. He said to Mrs. Boddy "I am going away, but I have not received the tongues yet." She replied "It is not tongues you need, but the Baptism." He protested this saying he already had the Baptism. His experience 14 years earlier after waiting on God 10 days and of being purged from his anger was what he called his Baptism. But he asked her to lay hands on him before he left, she did then had to quickly leave the room. The fire fell. Gods power come upon him and he saw Christ exalted. He was so conscious of the cleansing Blood. He could no longer speak in English but began to praise God in tongues as the Spirit gave him utterance, just as they received on the day of Pentecost. His first task was to Telegraph home that he had been Baptised. When he arrived home his wife was indignant, fully beliving she had the Baptism without need for tongues. She put this to the test and made him preach that next Sunday. She was so shocked and convinced by his powerful preaching that she also shortly after received the baptism with speaking in tongues.

The tongue tied plumber became a powerful orator. From this time they answered many calls to go preach this message of Pentecost. In many of these meetings the Spirit of God would fall mightily. He also started an Easter convention like that held at Sunderland. They continued in this manner until 1913 when his dear wife died suddenly. He was now 52 years old. Very quickly the door opened for him to go to the USA for the first time. While there the Great War started, he also ministered in Canada and New Mexico with powerful anointing. When he returned to Britain he joined the PMU council and at his annual convention in Bradford raised much money for the mission work in Congo. The 20's and 30's would be marked for him travelling internationaly to Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, France, Sri Lanka, Austraila, New Zealand and the USA.

Smith Wigglesworth left a profound mark on the Pentecostal movement worldwide. The lost were saved, bound set free, sick healed and dead were raised up to the glory of God. It was the IIWW which stopped this travelling, during the war years he constantly travelled to many small churches across Britain. He began to weaken and sicken in body but in 1945 God touched his servant quickening and renewing his body and strength. That year at the Preston convention which he chaired, 1000 believers gathered, 20 new missionaries were sent out, 150 were baptized in the Holy Ghost and 20 were converted. It was at the funeral of a friend in 1947 at the age of 88 that he went to be with the Lord. He had been humble and bold, rugged and refined all at the same time.

by Keith Malcomson.
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 13, 2010 at 8:42am

David Davis was converted at the age of 9 years. While just a boy, at this early age he told his mother that when he was old enough, he was going to play the organ for Brother Allen under his big tent. Not many years thereafter, God made that dream a reality.
He dedicated his life and talent to the Lord at the age of 12 and immediately began to play the organ and piano in various churches, for the glory of God. He had been playing the organ and piano on the evangelistic field since he was 14.

Thousands who attended the A.A.Allen Revival campaigns, or who listened to the Allen Revival Hour over the radio, declared him to be one of the greatest Gospel organists of this age.

The style which characterised the playing of David Davis was possibly unsurpassed by any other artist in the field. It was readily adapted to almost any type or kind of Gospel music. His musical repertoire ranged from the formal classic organ hymn playing to that of accompanist to some of the largest coloured choirs and special singers of Negro spirituals and classics.

The secret to the success of his music was the fact that the Lord anointed him to play and blessed the hearers through his playing. People received miraculous healings in the A.A.Allen revival services, as they listened to the Spirit anointed playing of this young man.

Under the A.A.Allen Revival 'Big Top' tent, the audiences were favoured with all types of music from the highest of the classics to the 'so called' Gospel Folk music, referred to sometimes as 'Gospel Hill Billy'. No matter what type of singer was being used to bless the audience, he or she always found that David played a suitable accompaniment for him or her.

David claimed to have had no specialised training in music, though he had spent years in perfecting this talent which he asserts, "God just gave it to me, through His Holy Spirit."

Possibly this young man's greatest joy and blessing came from leading thousands of people in joyful praises unto the Lord in song, on the Hammond organ, as the multitudes under the Allen Revival tent joined in the rhythmic hand clapping to spiritual hymns and anointed singing to the praises of God.
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 13, 2010 at 8:36am

Born in Arkansas, Sister Ernestine B. Washington grew up on the sanctified gospel of the '20s, singing primarily for her husband's church and denomination, Washington Temple C.O.G.I.C. Though inspired by the controlled Baptist style of the Roberta Martin Singers, she had a strident voice and was known to be a singing shouter in the mode of Mahalia Jackson. Her rare and most important recordings were executed from the late '40s through the '50s.
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 13, 2010 at 8:33am

Bishop Frederick Douglas "F. D." Washington (January 1, 1914 - January 19, 1988) was a renowned Pentecostal minister of the Washington Temple Church of God in Christ (COGIC) in Brooklyn, New York. His most famous protege is Rev. Al Sharpton, whom he licensed and ordained as a minister at the age of nine. Eventually, Bishop Washington introduced young Al Sharpton to Reverend William Augustus Jones Jr., who converted Sharpton to Baptist, which he remains.[1] Washington also served as a mentor and spiritual father to many COGIC pastors, including for example, Bishop Norman L. Prescott, who is now the prelate of New Jersey's Third Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction, Superintindent Robert L. Madison of Washington Temple, Elder TJ Williams Jr. of First COGIC of Bridgehampton, NY Elder Stanley Williams of Grace Temple COGIC in Westbury, NY Elder Odolph Wright of City Of Faith COGIC (New York and Georgia) as well as many of other proteges.
Bishop F.D. Washington served as assistant Jurisdictional Prelate to the late Bishop O. M. Kelly before finally succeeding him in 1983. He also served on the General Board of the Church Of God In Christ as Second Assistant to Bishop J.O. Patterson, Sr.
Born Frederick Douglas Washington on January 1, 1913. He was named after Frederick Douglass. He was originally from Arkansas but pastored in Montclair, New Jersey at the church now pastored by the aforementioned Bishop Norman Prescott. With his wife, Madame Ernestine Beatrice Washington who was affectionately called "The Songbird of the East", by his side, the Lord directed him to Brooklyn New York where he set up a tent at the place now addressed as 966 Fulton street. This ministry was known as "The Sawdust trail".

From there his ministry grew until he was able to purchase the old Loew's Theatre that stood at 1372 Bedford Avenue on the corner of Bergen street. Each year the ministry grew by leaps and bounds until it stood as a beacon of hope in the Crown Heights community and the world. Eventually Washington Temple COGIC, with about 3,000 members became one of the largest congregations of any denomination, located on Long Island, NY at that time.

Bishop Washington died in January of 1988. He was succeeded as Prelate by Bishop Ithiel Clemmons and as pastor by Elder Robert L. Madison.
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 13, 2010 at 8:23am

The Famous Davis Sisters of Philadelphia was founded by Ruth Davis in 1945 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Ruth had enlisted in the Women's Air Corp during World War II to fulfill her patriotic aspirations. During this time her musical and creative instincts came to the forefront of her personality and the nurturing of her artistic side conflicted with the strict military discipline required of WAC's. While she wanted to do her part to rid the world of the Axis evil and minimize Holocaust casualties, she was discharged by the military to Philadelphia in 1945 before the untimely demise of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Germany's capitulation. The end of the war was definitely in sight but Ruth was left with the task of carving out her place in the world as a young Afro-American woman in a world dominated by men. Ruth had been continually inspired by music and had heard the Wings Over Jordan Choir in the military, the old Southern-style male quartets on the radio, and heard the newly developing gospel sound in churches and on programs.
One day in Philadelphia it was raining, visibility was poor and as she was crossing a cobblestone street, she slipped on a trolley track in front of an oncoming trolley. She felt someone lift her up and assist her to the sidewalk underneath a store awning. When she turned around to thank them, no one was there. This experience initially startled her as she thought she was dreaming or in a daze like someone intoxicated, but then the Holy Spirit fell on her and made her realize that this was the answer to her prayer—to have a new purpose in life: to spread the Good News of salvation through Jesus Christ in song. She later realized what a blessing her discharge had been as she was given a headstart on her new career and unknown to her at the time, soon hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of military people would be discharged and sent home looking for new careers. She felt God had really laid His hand on her. Ruth stated to her family that her two musical inspirations, that encouraged her to become a singer, were Ira Tucker and Dinah Washington.

In 1945, immediately after the rain incident, Ruth rushed home and formed all her sisters into a religious singing group with her playing the piano. Alfreda was only 10 years old! Ruth was the spiritual motivator behind the group and had strong religious convictions and her faith fired the faith of her sisters even at their young ages. The girls used the old Baptist Hymnal, sheet music, and songs from the radio and practiced, practiced and practiced. The Davis Sisters finally made their debut at their parents' home in Port Deposit, Maryland in 1946.
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 12, 2010 at 3:11pm

Apostle Washington was a great singer and would often sing his favorite song like "I shall not be moved" . His singing was
electrifying, and was accompanied by organist, Elder Leon
Bonner who never even missed a beat.

Certainly, we can't forget his most powerful and unforgettable
sermons preached, "Uncloudy Day". It was as if God Himself
was sending us a very clear message that his servant's work
was just about over and that it was time for us all to grow up,
and to carry the mantle of this great leader.

It does not matter which faith you have crossed over to, or which
path or direction you have chosen to follow. One thing that you
cannot deny is that this man has left a mark upon your life that
cannot be easily shake off!
The big gospel tent was Apostle Washington' heart, and was be erected each summer in the boroughs either
Brooklyn and Queens. We will never forget the powerful voice ofthe late Elder Ramon Guzman who would
erupt with his favorite song called "It bubbling in my soul". Elder Darryl Wesco would sometimes break out
with his favorite song entitled "meeting on the old campground". As the service progressed, the 250 voice
choir could be heard blocks away echoing song like "Call him up" or "Down by the riverside" directed the late
Billy Wooten". And just before the man of God would get up to preach, Evangelist Joyce Altman Taylor would
bring the house down with her rendition of "The King is Coming". Talk about a Holy Ghost good time!

If your memory serves correct, you probably recall the famous blackout of 1977 where total darkness
hovered all over the city of New York. Fear gripped the heart of even the toughest New Yorker. Many
people ran to the big gospel tent looking for refuge fearing that the world was coming to an end. However
there was safety in the Tabernacle. The saints just hung around the tent talking about the goodness of the
Lord until the breaking of the

By the way, do you recall the second revival that usually broke out under the tent after the benediction? The
organist, Elder Leon Bonner would wear the organ out as the saints rejoiced. That is how most of us
perfected our dance. Talking about a shouting sawdust good time in the Holy Ghost!
Apostle Washington preached
holiness or hell, but he did it in such a
way that the worst of sinners would
feel the love of God resonating out of
his messages.

In July of 2008, over two hundred
people converged onto the great city
of Charlotte NC from eleven different
states to pay tribute to the legacy of a
man that meant so much to them. A
man that caused them to be better
husbands, wives, preachers and

This gathering was not a conference,
but a reunion. To see the many faces
that we have not seen in years was
truly a joy. It was also a blessing
knowing that they are still living holy
and walking as men and women of
God as a result of a fierce servant of
the Lord who preached the Word of
God in power and in boldness.
Do you remember the Friday night
broadcast services? It really didn't
matter how tired or physically drained
you were, your strength was renewed
instantly as you entered through the
doors of the Tabernacle of Prayer.

I can still hear the ghost of the late Elder
Marvin Loadholt resonating in the
sanctuary of the Tabernacle of Prayer
during the prayer hour as if was just
yesterday. While praying, he would
encourage us to put our holy hands
together and praise the Lord because
the Lord has been better to us than
we've been to ourselves.

Do you recall the times when dad
Washington would just sit down on the
director's stand and talk to us like a
father would to his own child? Those
days were priceless, intimate and
Comment by Servant J. A. C. Majors on May 10, 2010 at 11:02am

He‘s declared it for over five decades, “YOU DON’T HAVE ANY TROUBLE. . .ALL YOU NEED IS FAITH IN GOD,” and the message is still the same. The classic gospel message of faith and power continues to make a lasting impact wherever he goes. Rev. R.W. Schambach has devoted his life to preaching the pure gospel of Jesus Christ, believing that as Jesus Christ is presented as the living Savior of the world, signs and wonders will confirm the Truth. Through the years, Brother Schambach’s ministry has been marked by mass conversions and New Testament miracles- with the lame walking, the blind seeing, the deaf hearing, and many captives being set free by the power of God. A commanding voice and the gift of faith have distinguished Brother Schambach’s ministry through multi-media outreaches, including the Voice of Power radio and television programs. In over 200 nations of the world, the gospel of power has been preached in simple, direct fashion.

Brother Schambach received his formal training at Central Bible Institute in Springfield, Missouri, in the mid-1940’s, after serving his country in World War II as a navy boiler-maker on a destroyer in the South Pacific and Asia. He apprenticed along the side of A.A. Allen, a well-known miracle evangelist of the 1940’s and 50’s. The five years he served as Brother Allen’s associate evangelist was his “school of the Spirit,” learning how to move in the gift of faith and the working of miracles.

Perhaps the greatest trademark of R.W. Schambach is the great gospel tent. He has traveled with large and small tents with capacities of 2000-8000 seats into every major city in the United States. Drug addicts, prostitutes, homeless people, alcoholics, backsliders- all are regularly seen finding deliverance through Jesus Christ under the tent. Whenever possible, Brother Schambach, in cooperation with helping agencies, brings truckloads of food into the city for the impoverished. He is known by many as someone who has a special love for and commitment to the people of the inner cities.

Brother Schambach’s ministry to the hurting has been received in many nations of the world: throughout Europe, Russia, India, Asia, the Philippines, Africa, the West Indies, Central America, and South America. He continues to partner financially with the establishment of churches and Bible schools in Russia and China; with an orphanage in Indonesia and Haiti; with a mega-city outreach in Mexico City; and with urban outreaches in New York City.

Many view R.W. Schambach as a senior statesman of the Pentecostal community, and he is still going strong after over 60 years of ministry. He and his wife, Mary Schambach, have dedicated their lives to helping multitudes come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, and now they are pouring their lives into raising up a future generation of soul winners who operate in the full power of the Holy Ghost.

Members (34)


© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service