Many of you are probably wondering why I said that, but to be real, it is true. For centuries, christians have gotten the doctrine of hell messed up, thinking that our God will throw the wicked into a frying pan for eternity, where they will scream, grind their teeth in utter darkness. But what's the real deal about this? We got to check out the Greek words, and expound on those greek words. There are 2 Greek words that brings out the english hell--- Hades & Geenna. I will expound on them both.

Hell is the most terrifying doctrine preached by christians. Their fire and brimstone breath just breathes on all who fall victims of it. But the sad thing is that the fellow christians has no understanding of what they say. They do not realize that the fire and brimstone message they preach is figurative language.The bible is full of figurative language. Figurative language is something that should not be taken literal at all.

I wanna start with Greek word #1, Hades. Hades is the Greek word for "grave. In fact, the Hebrew word for it is Sheol. Hades means Grave, unseen, abode of the dead. I wanna show you when Hades is seen as figurative, but I will get to that in a bit. First off, I wanna show some places where the literal meaning of hell is seen.

I Sam 2:6 - The Lord kills and makes alive; he brings down to the grave, and brings up.

1 Kings 2:9 - But you shall by no means hold him guiltless, for you are a wise man, and will know what you shall do to him, and shall bring down his grey hairs with blood to the grave.

Psalm 6:5 - For in death no man remembers You; and who will give You thanks in Hades?

Acts 2:27 - For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption.

Those are examples of the literalness of Hades. Now I wanna go to the segment where most christians take literal, but its really not. This is where something that is literal gets turned into figurative language, but we must not lose the literalness of it, or we will be doing eisegesis(forcing interpretation into text). I want to also note that some of these will be metaphors as well.

Psalm 18:5 - The pangs of hell came round about me: the snares of death prevented me.

Psalm 30:3 - O Lord, You have brought up my soul from Hades, You have delivered me from among them that go down to the pit.

Isaiah 38:10 - “I said in the end of my days, I shall go to the gates of the grave; I shall part with the remainder of my years.

Matt 16:18 - And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Luke 16:23 - and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

Rev 1:18 - and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

I posted 4 examples of the literalness of Hades, and then I posted 6 examples of the metaphorical, and figurativeness of Hades. We must make the distinction of the 2.

For example. Look at the story of the rich man and lazarus in Luke 16. Notice in verse 23,"and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side."

From what you now know--the Greek for hades means grave, and those who are in the grave are dead(no life), you must ask yourself this question," How can one lift his/her eyes and see someone from the grave?

Eccl 9:5 - For the living will know that they shall die; but the dead know nothing, and there is no longer any reward to them, for their memory is lost.

There is no actual thinking, praising, speaking, or lifting of us(in a literal sense), beyond the grave. Why? because you are dead

Now lets go to the place called Geenna. I want to note this interesting place. First off, in order to understand Geenna, we must understand what it is.

Outside, and south of Jerusalem, there was a place called the valley of hinnom(The city dump). In that valley, babies were sacrificed to the canaanite god molech, criminals were sent there, dead animal & human corpses were burned there, there were always worms, and the fire was always burning.... sound familair? You better believe it, for Jesus used this same language to figuratively describe the eternal destruction of the wicked.

Look at what Isaiah said in 66:24 - And they shall go forth, and see the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against Me; for their worm shall not die, and their fire shall not be quenched; and they shall be a spectacle to all flesh.”

Notice the same language. Now let me show you what Jesus says about this place called Geenna--where this Greek word is used figuratively.

Matt 5:22 - But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire(Geenna).

Matt 5:30 - And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell(Geenna). This verse is an hypoberle.. meaning its a graphic exaggeration to make a strong point if you will. It is not meant to be taken literal. You cant enter heaven with something missing(laugh). As Ravi Zacharias says,"Let my people think!!"

Matt 23:33 - You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell(Geenna)?

I will stop right there. Now, when the wicked dies, they will not go to a literal torture chamber screaming their lungs out because its too hot and they're there forever. They will be destroyed, as in non existent, as If they were never born. They will be destroyed

Matt 10:28 - And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell(Geenna).

Also I want to note Rev 20:15 - And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire(Geenna).

The phrase "lake of fire" carries the Greek word Geenna. This is figurative, for you must ask yourself this question," How in the world can you have real lake of fire that burns and burns? Will God throw some kind of oil on the water lol? Its a "lake of fire" meaning, in a literal sense, there is no water!, but only fire, less one says "the lake of water and fire" Bare with me here people(laugh)

Again, Ravi Zacharias, a renowed christian philosopher & apologist says,"Let my people think!"

Only the righteous will see life, but the wicked will see death

Let us see life forevermore!!

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The gates of hades shall not prevail against the church
My brother, You are not far from the kingdom. In fact, your concept of hell is sound and on point. I preached on the subject of hell two months ago. It is true. Everybody goes. Hell is simply the grave. But alas there are dimensions of hell that men do not understand. Figuratively or literally, you be the judge; I believe that hell is hot and uncomfortable for some, and that there is comfort for others. I believe there is water in hell. I do not believe that hell and the lake of fire are the same. Remember, hell will be cast into the lake to be destroyed. I also believe that the lake will indeed burn forever. Is it so hard for God to keep a fire burning forever? There are stars which have been burning for possibly millions of years. So yes I will bare with you while you laugh, but what is impossible to man is possible with God. I think if the smoke ascends forever, the fire must exist also. If there is no fire, there can be no smoke. Thank God the dead in Christ shall be ressurected. David said, "He will not leave my soul in hell (meaning the grave). All of us gotta go, but all of us don't have to stay. And when the dead in Christ is taken up out of the grave, that compartment of hell that Jesus describes as paradise(where the water is), the grave and those who remain in it will be cast into the lake of fire. Think about it. But I must say, Your concept of hell is more accurate than most seasoned preachers I know. God bless you man of God. I could say more but time will not permit.
Pastor Mel
Hey Pastor,

Yes, nothing is impossible for God, but we do not want to use that phrase to explain away scripture that seems "too supernatural" if you will(laugh). Outside, and south of Jerusalem, there was a place called the valley of hinnom(The city dump). In that valley, babies were sacrificed to the canaanite god molech, criminals were sent there, dead animal & human corpses were burned there, there were always worms, and the fire was always burning.

Jesus used that place, and its language, figuratively, for the destruction of the wicked. When the pharisees, the crowds, sadducees, and essenses heard this, they could not understand what he was saying, because he spoke so that they would hear, but never understand.

I believe the doctrine of a literal burning afterlife in torment comes from Greek Mythology, and the fictional story of Dantae's inferno that was written over 400 years ago. The word is full of allegories, and figurative language, and we as Christians must make it our business to decipher them.

I am not too sure where you get water from, but I look forward to your further responses.

God bless you my sweet dear brother,
James
Tis just as easy to explain away the limitless power of God with logic, rationale, and science. This is neither here nor there. It is not my purpose to explain away that which is not understood by men no matter how many books we read, but to stay open and sensitive to the Spirit as well as advance ourselves with the temporal understanding. I've read about the different forms of population control, and sacrifices of ancient times. We still exercise population control today. We only hide it better these days. The ideal world population is said to be no more than 500 million people. We are more than 700 million strong. That's far past the desired quota. But that's another subject. Although the language was figurative, this stuff actually happened. People were burned. They were cast into this great garbage dump and they were burned. As it is in the natural, so it is in the spiritual. There are many things that literally happened that can be taken into a figurative account, but that does not mean that a literally definition cannot be derived from what you see. The first can sometimes serve as a shadow or type of the latter. We should make it our business to decipher between what is good and what is evil, but Wisdom and true understanding come from God. The book of Revelation isn't the only revelation that God has given. He's till giving revelation. But we must have ear to hear what the Spirit saith. The letter is good, but the spirit giveth life. There is manifold meaning and reasoning in the scripture. Let's look for a moment...Now I know that you believe that Jesus spoke figuratively only when He spoke of the rich man and Lazarus. But even if he was, would he not have been lying if he said that there were flames there if there weren’t? But there were flames in hinnom. So there was no lie. His comparison was accurate and sound. But then he mentioned a gulf or a divide in hell. Maybe there was one in hinnom also, God knoweth. Then he mentioned water…hmmm…It seems to me that Jesus was comparing spiritual things to natural things. But because people did not understand the spiritual, he talked of things they could understand. He said unto his disciples, that the reason he spoke to the people in parables was because “it was not given to them to understand spiritual things”. The knowledge of men can be gained of men and learned by men on all levels. But the knowledge of spiritual things must be given. We gotta think outside the box of our simple little reasoning abilities. Just as you say he was speaking figuratively, I say he was speaking comparatively; comparing natural things with spiritual. I mean really, why would Jesus speak so that they will hear and NOT understand? Is not understanding the principle thing? They understood alright. Just as you said, they had knowledge of and had been exposed to the environment of which he spoke. I do not say that hell is a fire, I only say that hell will be cast into the fire. Hell is not a figurative place, or an allegory; a belief which has become so popular among some sects. But it is an actual place. The grave is real. It is in the earth. The grave which is in the earth will burn with the earth. If the earth burns, so will hell. This is only touching on the physical aspect of it, but what of the spiritual? Hmmm. I’ll let you study that a little more. Wouldn’t want to spoil the movie for ya. How did we get to the subject of Dante’s inferno? There is no afterlife in hell. They are not immortal. Only those who are in Christ shall be clothed with immortality. Hell dwellers will be destroyed forever, maybe even burn forever, but they won’t live forever. They will die a second death. Until the resurrection of the dead, they are in torment. Not in a lake of fire, but in a hot dry, and very uncomfortable place. They are tired hot thirsty, and have no rest. Jesus did not describe the torment, but His so-called “allegory” indicates that there is a compartment where there is discomfort, and there is a compartment where there is rest. When Jesus died on the cross, His next stop was hell (the grave). But when the malefactor beseeched His remembrance, He said “This day you’ll be with me in Paradise. Hmmm…this is a second time where he associated paradise with hell. There is comfort in paradise; and there’s water there too. Why even bother to mention water in the first place if there wasn’t any. Our great teachers and philosophers can’t know everything. But the Spirit teaches all things. I didn’t go to seminary either, but I dare not teach myself, nor claim to have been self taught. I am led by the Spirit. I admit there was once a time, some 23 years ago when I deemed myself to be an intellect. In retrospect, I was nothing. I’m still not very smart, but I have been given a pass to glean in the field of God’s wisdom, and I wouldn’t trade that for all the book sense in the hemisphere. God bless you brother. You are very studious, and quite gifted. I would not be surprised at all if I looked up and saw you on a major Christian televised network. When you are balanced, you are going to bless thousands.
Peace My Brother.
hi
Its so true

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service