Who are the two witnesses in the book of Revelation?

My Answer: It seems to me that if we were to attempt to identify the two witnesses in Revelation 11:3-12, Enoch and Elijah would be the two most obvious choices.

The two witnesses are eventually killed in Revelation 11:7. Since Enoch and Elijah never died (Genesis 5:23; 2 Kings 2:11), and Hebrews 9:27 indicates that a person can only die once – they would seem to be the only exceptions to Hebrews 9:27.

Some say the two witnesses are Moses and Elijah do to the result of their appearing to Christ in the transfiguration (Matthew 17:3) and because of the types of miracles they perform (Revelation 11:5-6). However, Moses would seem to be eliminated as a possibility by Hebrews 9:27, since He did die (Deuteronomy 34:5).

Please shed some light on this topic for me. I will admit to I've read some of the Left Behind series and they were only entertaining but did make you think about some things. lol

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have researched and have not found out the names of the 2 witnesses name. But I do know that it is not Enoch and Elijah or Moses.

Remember, they were killed by Satan then Resurrected by God.

Information on the Two (2) Witnesses - Revelation Chapter 11:3-13 (KJV)

Revelation 11:3-4 Here we are introduced to the Two Witnesses (other names for them are also given) and their brief but powerful Earthly ministry is described. They wear the traditional sackcloth of prophets, signifying repentance. The duration of their ministry is 42 lunar months (30 days) clearly explaining that their ministry will cover 1/2 of the 7-year Tribulation period (Daniel 9:27) ... probably the first 1/2:

3 And I will grant authority to my Two Witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.
4 These are the Two Olive Trees and the Two Lampstands that stand before the Lord of the Earth.

Revelation 11:5 As with all of God's prophets, special protection for the Two Witnesses has been provided. As described here, the supernatural powers of self-defense they have been given are quick and powerful:
5 And if anyone wants to harm them, fire flows out of their mouth and devours their enemies; so if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this way.

Revelation 11:6 Though their true identity will not be known until their arrival, the Two Witnesses have the same powers demonstrated by Moses and Elijah. Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration representing the summation of the Law and the Prophets, respectively. Moses turned the waters of Egypt into blood and called down multiple plagues. Elijah withheld rain from Israel. After the Church Age of Grace, God will manifest the Law and the Prophets once again. In the Old Testament, the Law and the Prophets spoke mainly to Israel ... Here, they will speak to the entire Earth:

6 These have the power to shut up the sky, so that rain will not fall during the days of their prophesying; and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the Earth with every plague, as often as they desire.

Revelation 11:7-8 When their ministry is finished (after 1,260 days) God allows Satan via the First Beast to attack and defeat the Two Witnesses but the story still has surprises to come soon. For now, their deaths are visibly confirmed by their corpses lying in a street of Jerusalem, identified metaphorically in verse 8:

7 When they have finished their testimony, the Beast that comes up out of the abyss will make war with them, and overcome them and kill them.
8 And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which mystically is called Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified.

Revelation 11:9-10 For 84 hours, the world is so happy that these Two Witnesses are dead that they won't allow them to be buried! Rather, the world throws a celebration of their deaths and exchanges presents with each other. Viewing their bodies is a focal point of the party:

9 Those from the peoples and tribes and tongues and nations will look at their dead bodies for three and a half days, and will not permit their dead bodies to be laid in a tomb.
10 And those who dwell on the Earth will rejoice over them and celebrate; and they will send gifts to one another, because these Two Prophets tormented those who dwell on the Earth.

Revelation 11:11-12 One nagging thing about a party ... there's always a party spoiler! ... This time it's God ... as part of His surprise, He decides to bring the Two Witnesses back from the dead (probably the ultimate party trick!) right in front of the world ... and it's just when the party had really got going! This really kills the spirit (unearthly that is!) of the party and scares all of the partygoers to death (God did the same thing to the Chaldean King Belshazzar in Chapter 5 of the Book of Daniel) ... For more party fun, God then Raptures the Two Witnesses directly in
I have heard that it may be Moses and Isiah but (and I know God can resurrect anyone) but weren't Enoch and Elijah the only two to be taken up by God? Then again why do I concern myself with who they will be but I guess my curious mind when I read the bible wants to know. lol I agree with all you say but was wondering if it was the two taken by God. Thank you.
Part 2

Revelation 11:11-12 One nagging thing about a party ... there's always a party spoiler! ... This time it's God ... as part of His surprise, He decides to bring the Two Witnesses back from the dead (probably the ultimate party trick!) right in front of the world ... and it's just when the party had really got going! This really kills the spirit (unearthly that is!) of the party and scares all of the partygoers to death (God did the same thing to the Chaldean King Belshazzar in Chapter 5 of the Book of Daniel) ... For more party fun, God then Raptures the Two Witnesses directly into Heaven, right in front of everyone:

11 But after the three and a half days, the breath of life from God came into them, and they stood on their feet; and great fear fell upon those who were watching them.
12 And they heard a loud voice from Heaven saying to them, "Come up here", Then they went up into Heaven in the cloud, and their enemies watched them.

Revelation 11:13 God has a little surprise party of His own ... to break up the world's party, He sends a big earthquake upon the city of Jerusalem ... 10% of the city is destroyed ... 7,000 people are killed ... but surprise! ... the remaining partygoers decide to worship God!:

13 And in that hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell; seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of Heaven.
John, I found the answer as soon as I send my last response.

To get the answer about the Two Witness we must go to Zechariah Chapter 4. Hint: Candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof:

Read Zachariah 4:3-14
The answer Two (2) Candlesticks represent the Two (2) churches out of the seven (7) churches.
The two (2) witnesses are The church of Smyrna and The churchof Philadelphia. (Rev. 2:9 and 3:9)

Now, you ask what happen to the other five (5) churches. There were married to someone else besides God.

I will provide more information tomorrow.

Grace and Peace.
I have Zachariah referenced in Rev 11:3 in my bible. lol I thought at first maybe Joshua and Moses and then thought it was Moses and Isiah because they were so powerful in the Lord. Then I said well the only two men in the whole bible that didn't die was Enoch and Elijah because Enoch walked with God and was no more Gen 5:24 and Elijah was taken up by the chariot as Elisha saw this 2 Kings 2:11 -12. But now that you say this I'm rethinking because the candlesticks represent the 7 churches and the only two churches that Jesus had no condemnation for was Smyrna because they held on unto death for the Word of God and Philadelphia was about spreading the Word and had an open door that no man could shut. So will it be two men that were representatives of these two great churches? Thank you and praise God.
Read Rev. 1: 20

Clue#1: The 2 Candlesticks are the churches of Philadelphia and Smyrna, easliy identifiable by that which thye teach. Go and back and read Chapters 2 & 3

Clue #2: The 2 witnesses are not Biblically illiterate. You'll see in the next verse - read that they breathe the fire of God's Word, so we know their fuel tanks are filled to capacity, just overflowing with oil (Hey, "Sons of Oil").

Clue #3: Now read all of Zechariah 4 and you will find in verse 12 that these two anointed sons are diligently pumping oil. Got It? They are pumping Oil.

Now, go back and read Rev. 3 & 5; 2 Kings 1:10; Hebrews 12:29; Jeremiah 5:14
AMEN! This is why I guess I thought Elijah since he never died like Enoch. Thank you and praise and glory be God's. Whew!
Revelation has to be the most misunderstood, taken out of proper context book, in all the bible. This book has been abused so many times, that you have all kinds of theology coming from the mouths of everyone.

First and foremost, in order to understand prophectic literature, you must understand its audience(whom it was written to), why it was written(the purpose).

Revelation was written to 7 individual churches in Asia Minor(Turkey its believed to be). This area was going under heavy persecution by the Roman Empire. Revelation is a symbolic, and prophetic book about the rome empire. its destruction, and the ultimate victory of good.

The author of Revelation borrowed extensively from sources such as Daniel, and other apocalyptic literature of the time Ancient symbols such, the dragon, stars, the woman, babylon, are all figurative of the Roman Empire. This is NOT about whats gonna happen in the 21st century. Its not what the left behind novels and movies portray. You must keep revelation within its context.

Revelation was sent to those 7 churches to give them hope, that the roman empire will be destroyed, and its persecution will eventually end. We know that persecution ended when Constantine came on the scene. and eventually, the Roman Empire fell, as revelation predicted.

The distribution of Christian material was being tracked all around the empire, and any spotting of it, they would destroy it. John wrote about the empire in figurative language so that the Romans would not have picked up on it.

Let us keep revelation in its historical context first, and then we can see what wisdom we can get from it for the 21st century. God bless
Hi Brother Pierce!

You didn't answer the question asked by JOHN. You didn't!!!

"Who are the two witnesses in the book of Revelation?"

Please, stop your litterature and your interpretation of the book of the REVELATION.

Please, consult my posts intitled:

-THE RAPTURE

-QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON THE SEALS

They are available on the forum and my website below.

Please, recognize your day and its Message!

Blessings,

Bro.Germain

www.tagworld.com/srobouay
I Simply gave the background of the book of Revelation--something you have no knowledge of. I think you should take a class in debate, and attitude ethics, because you come at people the wrong way, and you call yourself a christian. Until you know the historical background of revelation, you cannot tell me what I said is wrong. May the Lord open your eyes to hardcore, unbiased truth, and let go of the doctrine you grew up learning.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service