Home Churches are re-emerging....Seeing that this is how the first church was established why are so many people in Modern day churches opposed to home churches?

Since being here on BPN we have come across so much opposition to Home Churches. Can anyone show in scripture where assembling together in a home is unbiblical and damaging to those who do this? The main scripture used is:

Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

But the following scripture explains what the Lord considers to be an assembly, versus what we are use to seeing or being involved in:

Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Now, back to the subject. How did the early churches meet. They met in homes. This old type of church is re-emerging all over again because there are many who will not set foot into today’s modern churches for various reasons. Many of these people want Jesus but are not comfortable with what they see happening in our congregations.

There are many good examples of church homes in the scripture so where does all this opposition come from.

Priscilla & Aquilla: 1 Corinthians 16:19
The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

Romans 16:5
Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my well-beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.

Colossians 4:15
Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.

Philemon 1:2
And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house:

Views: 112

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sister Fugett - I regret that that you took my post to be a point of division, rather than one of correction and reconciliation.

Home churches were never meant to be islands unto themselves. That is, unfortunately, a view that too many churches today hold to, for themselves. A 'we have the truth and they do not', or a "we are holy and they are not', kind of attitude. Spiritual right/wrong games.

Yes, I freely admit that the same kinds of problems can be found in small house churches, where little demi-gods have (and will) arise, just as Paul had to stand against - warned us about.

But, in what church can a lay person stand up and say, "I have a sermon (message) from God today for this congregation", and preach it?

Or, what about someone standing up and giving a prophesy, a message in tongues, speaking a word of knowledge to the assembly, etc., without first receiving the pastor's permission? Some? Yes. Most? No! Yet, I would think that some of those you taught would miss the freedom of expression (and mutual ministry) that will be lost in most "organized" congregations. Even so, some people require a large group to work in. There is no calling out of the saints from their churches being made - into home meetings. For those who desire the large meetings and the organized (structure) of the services, then, may they be blessed and serve God in the way that they are lead. For others, a more intimate relationships with God and their fellow believers, with an active group ministry, where everyone has the opportunity to contribute to every service in a leadership capacity is preferred.

I commend you on your home meetings of various kinds - that is a home church in operation. And, yes, all home churches in a geographical area should set aside time to get together, to worship together, to study together, to fellowship together, and to work together in spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ and working to assist one another in their needs - as well as meeting the needs of the community.

Self-serving groups, whether be it one family or a congregation of a thousand families, is to be avoided at all costs.
Hello Brother Bowman,
Thanks for your input on this subject, but I don't think the statement about division was aimed at you. We did not post this blog for anyone to start taking aim and getting angry at one another, but to help others understand why we have a church in our home. Your statement does not cause division but enlightens and I really appreciate it. We put the videos up so that others could see the many benefits of church homes.

We are not a stationary only group for we have found others in our area that have the same groups. It has been very rewarding to fellowship with others of different ages, races and denominations. I am saddened that one considers our teaching as legalistic and divisive because that does not described our fellowships. We treat people with love and anyone who knows us personally would say that.

Once again, we thank you for your comments and enlightenment and it is our hope that those who feel that this discussion is part of the Devil's handiwork would just look at the benefits to the Body of Christ and not find something that is simply not there.
Sister Fugett I don't understand why your last statement was made:

This will be the only post I make on this topic, for I discern the spirit of division that prompts it and I will not participate in the devil's handiwork, to counter the gospel of Christ, for me and my household will serve God!

Are you saying the person that started this is trying to divide or Brother Bowman? I don't get that from this post or Brother Bowmans statement but only a statement of Home Churches florishing. The reason for Home Churches on the rise is because of false leaders in the churches today. A church is simply a place for fellowship and edification in the Word wouldn't you agree? Jesus said in Matthew 18:20, For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. He didn't say gathered in a church, home church, but anywhere they are gathered in my name. The point is about all of us learning and studying the Word of God and it doesn't have to be in a church per se. The church (building) is not the body of Christ but the people of believers are the Body of Christ.

This statement also:

It is stopping short of what God expects of us as disciples, to say "I me, my friends and family" Home church as a permanant assembly, is a comfort zone, and ones do not grow in the love of Christ in this type of enviroment.

Can you show me in scripture the meaning behind this please? No arguments I just want to truly understand what you are saying. I know for a fact you can grow in love with home churches. Just like a so called traditional church if God is not there well no matter if it's a home church or traditional church then you won't grow in the love of Christ. People are comfortable in churches as you say they would be in a home church. I don't think one can pigeon-hole an assembly of believers. If they met in a park do you truly think it would be against God or He would be displeased. There are so many traditionaly churches that are leading people straight to hell and it certainly is a comfort zone for those leaders in wolves clothing.

God bless.
Brother John, we have been down this road many times with others regarding Home Churches and people will believe what they want to believe and will hear what the want to hear. We don't condemn people to hell, we don't try to make anyone be like us, we don't declare anyone reprobate. These are all false accusations of which the scripture said that Satan is an accuser of the brethren.

If quoting scripture is wrong then why do any of us even own a bible. Just as you said brother John, I too am curious as to why someone would think that this post is apart of the Devil's handiwork. The enemy has a way of stirring up division where there should be none. This post is certainly not meant for that purpose yet The Devil would like to turn it into that.

I for one wish that the body of Christ would just come together and realize that this walk is not about us, but about those who want to know Jesus. The Devil is a Liar and the truth is not in him. Ain't nobody mad but the Devil.

Thanks for your reply John. God bless you brother and thanks for your understanding.
I just get so sick and tired of even replying to fake believers and maybe that's the wrong attitude but it seems that's all that I do is get into issues with others on this site and that's not why I joined in the first place and also why I started my own site because of it. Too much pride/egos here for me and that's what fell Satan. Satan attacks us in the three ways he fell himself as in 1John 2:16.

This site has turned into clicks and it's ok to speak/teach false doctrine without being afraid of challenges from others and if there is a challenge then they falsely use Matthew 7:1 to say, don't judge when we must judge all things in the spirit.

God bless always.
BROTHER JOHN WE SHOULD REJOICE BECAUSE OF PERSECUTION. AM I RIGHT? The scriptures below shows what's in store for those who are persecuted for declaring the truth of God's word in righteousness.

PERSECUTE:
1 : to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief
2 : to annoy with persistent or urgent approaches (as attacks, pleas, or importunities) : pester

Matthew 5:10-12 (King James Version)

10. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
Hello Evangelist Fugett, I'm sorry that you feel this way, I for one wanted to go out and purchase a building for an assembly, but the Lord told me no, and to start out of our home. We have nothing against having services in a church building, however many of these churches have mortgages on them with high notes. This in not how Holy Spirit has led us and he told us to owe no man anything. Many of the churches you see today were once home churches, and it is even recorded in the scriptures. You must have had a very bad experience with a home church or something, to say that the people of these churches don't grow in Love is a bit extreme. I have seen several that have grown incredibly in the past years.

Have you ever heard of Kieth Green, In 1975, the Greens began an outreach program in the suburbs of Los Angeles, California, in the San Fernando Valley. Purchasing the home next door to their own and renting an additional five in the same neighborhood, Keith and Melody provided a environment of Christian teaching for a group of young adults, the majority of whom were of college age. Much to the consternation of neighbors, those living in the Green's homes included former drug addicts, the homeless and even some prostitutes who had been referred to the Greens by other ministries and shelters.

In 1978, Last Days Ministries (LDM) began publishing the Last Days Newsletter. was renamed in mid-1985 as Last Days Magazine. In 1979, feeling a need to leave "the city'" because of the rehab work they were doing, they moved their flourishing ministry to a 120-acre ranch in East Texas. By 1982 the ministry had a worldwide impact, with nearly 100 people on staff. At the peak of its popularity, the Last Days Magazine was sent out to over 300,000 people worldwide. His ministry in the lord Jesus Christ has grown more since his death, than it was in his life and is still flourishing until this day.

I hope this change your perception on home churches. God Bless
Fugett:
The Pharisees were constantly persecuting and accusing Jesus for his righteous deeds, his teachings and his very existence. We must be careful that we don’t hold the same position that the Pharisees did but with Jesus Christ our Lord. Jesus brought a very clear message of repentance and zero tolerance for unrighteousness. His love was displayed through Chastisement of deeds and not tolerance of deeds. The Pharisees on the other hand represented the more legalistic views as displayed in the bible. Many today are defining legalistic wrongly as if to be those who uphold the teachings of Jesus. This is wrong and very dangerous because we compromise and pervert the gospel by omitting the teachings and admonitions of Jesus in favor of this NEW WIND OF DOCTRINE.

Jesus is more concerned with lost souls being lead to him than he is about our attendance at a mortgaged cathedral. (THERE ARE MORE WEIGHTIER MATTERS OF CONCERN, NOT WHERE ONE GATHERS FOR WORSHIP) God’s assembly is a gathering of his people anywhere not just in church buildings. People who teach such are bordering on being False Prophets. False Prophets create illusions of something being a commandment of God in order to deceive others. They cause people to fall into falsehoods based on lies and deception. We must be very sure that our teachings line up with the Word of God and don’t reflect our personal convictions. We may not agree with how others teach, but if their teaching is not contrary to scripture, then our disagreement is not with them but with The Word Of God.

Be Blessed,
Brother Bowman,

I thank your for the resource, http://www.ctz.org.il/. We will be contacting them as well as frequenting their site for helpful tips and information. I even like the fellowship via Skype that is offered for those that are not in their area.

Your statement: As Gentiles we are adopted into and became a part of the family of God, we have not become THE family of God. We are grafted into that mighty tree called Israel, we have not supplanted it (the branches have not become the root).

May I suggest then that in addition to taking on the form of the early church, we also consider taking on the theology and doctrines of that same church?

I am in agreement with the statement regarding us becoming a part of the family of God and not circumventing, Israel in any way. I think sometimes Christians forget that we were grafted in and are not the root. Also, we are all for going by the theology and Doctrines from the early church and wouldn't have it any other way.
Who would be against a home church? There are actually posts against home churches.
THE MAJORITY OF CHURCHES THROUGHOUT THE WORLD ARE IN HOMES!!!!!!!!
America's kind of Christianity is small and piquant compared to the rest of the world.
We are so full of ourselves!!!!!!!!!
Surely you jest - there cant be people against a home church.
No Sister, I am not joking. There are some who have persecuted us for our decision to listen to the Lord as far as establishing a home church. Before we even knew that BPN existed, we were instructed to have a church in our Home. Some use this as an occasion to attack us instead of realizing the origination of Home Churches. The videos were put up so that some could see why and who attends home churches.

Personally, I have loved the experience because we can deal with people on a more intimate level. Thanks for your understanding sis. The Devil is a liar and the truth is not in him. Satan always shows his head when God starts to work. We are accused of being legalistic because we preach what the bible says, but that is alright. The people we fellowship with can feel the love of God and that is all that matters. RESIST THE DEVIL AND HE WILL FLEE FROM YOU.

Be Blessed sister.
Do what you do Sister and do it in the Name and Power of Jesus.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service