1 Corinthians 9:20
To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

To the Jews I became as a Jew - Conforming myself in all things to their manner of thinking and living, so far as; I could with innocence. To them that are under the law - Who apprehend themselves to be still bound by the Mosaic law. As under the law - Observing it myself, while I am among them. Not that he declared this to be necessary, or refused to converse with those who did not observe it. This was the very thing which he condemned in St. Peter, Gal 2:14.

count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. 14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Galatians 4

21Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23His son by the slave woman was born in the ordinary way; but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a promise.

24These things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27

Romans 8:3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,

Hebrews 7:19 (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

17Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and brag about your relationship to God; 18if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of infants, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

28A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man’s praise is not from men, but from God.

Romans 8:2

because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

Christ kept the Law perfectly for all who believe on him..he did it for us...and set us free from the law of sin and death...praise God

GB

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Calm down Hez.
It seemed apropriate to post for this conversation.
I might even agree with what you say - but I had to post what is related.
You took it out of context to relate it to the fact that we are not under the dietary law, when in fact the Bible says that we are. That is why I brought Daniel.
Are the NT saints under the dietary laws? for sure?
I dont know.
But I can see that it is healthier to eat like the OT saints did.
Newview,

Of course we are.
Old Testament:

Leviticus 11:7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

Isaiah 66:They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

Isaiah 65:3-5 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick; Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels; Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.

Hezekiah: Does it look like that God agrees with these people who eat Pork? Why would he bring up the pork if it was not commanded that we should not eat pork?
Newview,

Yeshua did not say this to excuse the eating of pork. If Yeshua was sinless, then this would be a sin of His. Deut 4 says not to add or take away from the Torah. Telling people to eat pork is violation of the Torah... a sin. Yeshua was making the case of the facts that the words of man can defile him.
I understand what you are saying but then there is Paul - he understood Jesus, the OT and the early church better than most.
He said to eat whatsoever is set before you asking no questions for the conscience sake.
Newview,

The problem comes when people say,"Jesus said this, but then Paul said." That's putting Paul's words over what Messiah said. I must admit that right now, I do not know why Paul said such words, but if push comes to shove, we should choose what Yah and Yeshua said concerning the Torah; that we must obey it. Accept their words over ANYONE.
No James, get what I am saying.
I believe that there is a real truth in what they are both saying and that we just dont understand it - but its there and they both align because all of the instructions were given by the inspiration of the HOLY GHOST.

I believe somewhere there is the right answer - but I am not into putting Paul's at odds with Jesus' and picking and choosing of the two.
God knows what He was saying through Pau as much as the words of Jesus his blessed messiah.
Newview,

There is a big difference on what Yeshua said about obedience to the Torah(Luke 11:28), and what Paul said about eating whatever it is before you(1 Co 10:25). If Yeshua said do not eat pork, and yet Paul said eat whatever, then who are you going to adhere to???
1 Corinthians 9:20
To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

Act's 15: 5Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to obey the law of Moses.”

6The apostles and elders met to consider this question. 7After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: “Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe. 8God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. 9He made no distinction between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith. 10Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? 11No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”
GB
"...There is a big difference on what Yeshua said about obedience to the Torah(Luke 11:28), and what Paul said about eating whatever it is before you(1 Co 10:25). If Yeshua said do not eat pork, and yet Paul said eat whatever, then who are you going to adhere to???..."

I dont have to to pick and choose - there is a proper understanding of those scriptures that I fully dont understand YET.
If you are into picking and choosing which and insisting that Paul was not speaking by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit - then so be it.
But with me - It aint happenin' Captn

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service