1 Timothy 2:9- "9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array"

I want to address the issue that draws the line between modesty and looking frumpy. Some would think that just because they have to dress in modesty that means that they have to look frumpy. I say, the answer is no!!! You can dress modest and look fashionable at the same time. There are plenty of legalistic Christians who take the scripture to the extremes. They'll make it like women can't get their hair did, feet and nails done, wear jewerly and makeup, and wear anything other than black and white. Also, they'll make it like men can't wear anything other than black and white, have long hair and afro puffs, and wear jewelry. But if it's men wearing earrings, which I don't approve of, that's a different story. My point is that scriptures can be taken too the extremes and there are Christians who live by the list of do's and don'ts.

I want to tell you that it's not about what you wear, it's how and why you wear it. I believe that it's okay for women to wear makeup and jewelry as long as she doesn't do those things to seduce men and try to bring SexyBack. Men can wear jewelry and have long hair and afro puffs as long as they don't try to impress anybody. The issue is that there are both men and women who dress in a certain manner to seduce people. Men could be wearing muscle shirts and have pants sagging showing their butts to get girls' attention. Women could be wearing micro-minis, booty shorts, and other skimpy attire to get men's attention. We got to draw the line between what to wear and how to/why wearing it. You need to dress in a certain manner giving glory to God. We must glorify God in all of our aspects, including what to wear.

Just because you're a Christian doesn't mean that you have to look plain and frumpy. Looking plain and frumpy doesn't make you holy. It's about your heart, but dress in modesty. You can add some color in your wardrobe. I like to wear purple(my favorite color) and other colors to reflect God's glory. If you just want to look plain and wear only black and white, go ahead. But, if you want to look colorful, be my guest. Don't jump into conclusions about a woman wearing makeup and jewelry. Just because she wears makeup and jewelry doesn't mean that she's a Jezebel.

I hope that this message is a blessing you and if you enjoy this message, say amen!!!

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I beg to differ about women AND MEN desiring to bring sexy back. God created us sexual and sensual beings. While we are not to dress to seduce, dressing to feel sexy is not out of bounds. I assure you that one can be fully covered, appropriate, and very sexy. If you don't believe me, sit in any Black church where the women exhibit serious "hatitude". Those Sistah Saints will show you serious sanctified sexy!!!

Seriously, our real concern should be that one dresses to present our best self as royal daughters and sons of the Most High King.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service