Is The Trinity Biblical?
From the Christian Research Institute
www.equip.org
The Trinity is a basic doctrine of orthodox Christianity. Yet the word "Trinity" is not found anywhere in the Bible. Is the doctrine of the Trinity really biblical?
The doctrine of the Trinity says that there is one All Mighty One (God) who exists eternally as three distinct persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I can assure you that the elements of this doctrine are all taken directly from the Bible.
The first plank of the Trinitarian platform is that there is only one All Mighty One (God). The Bible could not be more explicit on this point, which it states explicitly about two dozen times. In Isaiah 44:8 Yahweh (The LORD) says that even He does not know of any other (mighty ones)gods!
Yahshua (Jesus) often spoke of the All Mighty One (God) as His Father, and the apostles frequently spoke of "the Almighty One (God) the Father." But the New Testament also insists that Yahshua (Jesus) is The Almighty One (God). For example, Thomas acknowledged Yahshua (Jesus) as, "My Lord(master) and my Almighty One (God)" (John 20:28), and both Peter and Paul spoke of Yahshua (Jesus) as "our All Mighty One (God) and Savior" (2 Pet. 1:1; Tit. 2:13). Yet the New Testament also makes the distinction between the Father and the Son as two very different persons. In fact they tell us that they love one another, speak to each other, and seek to glorify each other (e.g., John 17: 1-26).
The Old Testament refers often to the Holy Spirit as The Almighty One (God) at work in the world, without distinction from the Father. But Yahshua (Jesus) in John 14 to 16 explained that this Holy Spirit would be sent by the Father at the Messiah’s (Christ's) request. The Holy Spirit would teach and guide the disciples, not speaking on His own initiative, but speaking on the Messiah’s 9Christ's) behalf and glorifying The messiah (Christ). Thus, the Holy Spirit is revealed by The Messiah (Christ) to be a third person distinct from the Father and distinct from the Son.
In short, the doctrine of the Trinity is completely and totally biblical, and it is essential that all the Followers of the Messiah Yahshua (Christians) give assent to this doctrine.

Views: 1294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AMEN!
He did not speak any type of heresy, but explain exactly what the Trinity is from the Hebraic standpoint of scripture. JESUS is literally the walking glory of GOD in flesh. You may quickly quote "I am YHWH that is my name and my glory I will give to no other", but what is the name of JESUS in the full translation? It means "YHWH my Salvation". It is not heresy to say that JESUS is YHWH/JEHOVAH the Son, but to say He is the Father is absolutely off. Since He is begotten, call Him what He is: the begotten Son of YHWH

Now, you said "Not the Father or the Holy ghost but Jesus and they are one."

Th FATHEr is to be glorified! The HOLY GHOST is to be glorified! How about finishing a quote please: every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord TO THE GLORY OF GOD THE FATHER! This isn't t His own glory, but He Himself said this to His Father:

John 17

1These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

2As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

4I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

5And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

6I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

7Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.

8For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

9I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

10And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

11And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

12While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

13And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

14I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

15I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

16They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

17Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

18As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

19And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

20Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

21That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

24Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

25O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.

26And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

If you pay close attention to the underlined portions, it CLEARLY shows that JESUS was not talking to Himself, or His Humanity talking to His Deity, or whatever. It was the Father being spoken to by His Son.
The Scriptures are just so clear, this is why it is the central dogma for the whole of Christianity.

What worries me is how the oneness crew explain the baptism of our Lord.

Now I have heard atheists say that Jesus didn't do miracles but was very good at sleight of hand, perhaps this is what oneness thinking expect us to believe at His baptism. When He produced a dove, whilst throwing His voice.

(forgive me Lord)
EW, you said:

"We must keep in mind that the Jews rejected and killed Jesus because he came to the world humbly. Jews are not the authority on scripture but our Lord is."

Our LORD left the scriptures into the hands of the Apostles. The Apostles were Jewish, the first Church members for about 8 years were all Jewish. I think that they may know a little somethin' about JESUS, don't you?
Just as a son can never stop being a son, and you will never stop being your natural father's daughter, so the Son of GOD can never and will never stop being the Son of GOD. You have written off Christ's submission to the Father and said that He 's no one's Son, and that Christ was submitted to no one. This is heresy for Christ is fully submitted to the Father:

Matthew 26:39-42 "And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done."

1st Corinthians 11:3 "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."

You try to separate the deity of Christ from the humanity of Christ. This is absolutely impossible! He wasn't part time GOD and part time man, but like you said fully GOD and yet fully man. No where in scripture does He EVER stop being the Son, for if He did then He also would stop being a man. You used Hebrews 10:5 in total error as well, for the Father didn't prepare a body to hop in Himself, but the scripture CLEARLY says You have prepare a boy for Me. By your definition, He was talking to a mirror or just speaking to Himself!

To claim that JESUS is the Father and that He is an Apostle is ALSO a heresy. The very nature and office of an Apostle contradicts the doctrine you believe, for an Apostle is an Ambassador of an Emperor/King, sent forth with a King's authority. This makes the Emperor "King of kings". If JESUS is the Father, but He was sent by the Father, then WHO SENT HIM? Is He His own sender? Is He an Ambassador to Himself? Let us simply consider what the LORD JESUS said out of His own mout concerning this:

Matthew 21:33 "Hear another parable: There was a certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round about, and digged a wine press in it, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went into a far country. And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it. And the husbandmen took his servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another. Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto them likewise. But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son. But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance. And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him. When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons. Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes? Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder."

In this parable, the LORD JESUS spoke of Himself and the Father here taking vengeance for His Son. He also spoke of the Son being the heir. JESUS is the heir to the throne. If He is the Father, then who will He inherit it from? Why are we called joint heirs with the Son then if He will, according to your words, cease to be the Son? We are called Christ's brothers, not His sons! the Apostle Paul said that we are joint heirs with Christ. This is impossible if He is the Father!

The doctrine of the Kingdom is to be simple, and yet your doctrine has been more complicated than you can bare to admit. You go and tell a child your doctrine that JESUS the Son of GOD s also GOD the Father, and see what they would say. You go and explain that JESUS is the Father and the Son of Himself to a Muslim and see if they would understand. Its not that they reject the Triune GOD because they don't understand; its that they simply do not want Him! Your doctrine however would be laughed out of a theological discussion! I have never even heard other faiths even recognize the Oneness doctrine as being a doctrine to contend with, however they will readily see the Trinity as a threat to their faith. This is not by my own opinion, but by observation!
In the begginning was the Word (Jesus Christ) and the Word (Jesus Christ) was with God (Father) and the Word (Jesus Christ) was God

John 8:58 KJV

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was , I am

How could this be people when Jesus was born many, many years after Abraham.....Hmmm.

Jesus wants us to know that He is the God of Abraham. He is the Father wrapped in human flesh
You bring John 1:1 that clearly states that the preincarnate Jesus Christ was with the Father from the beginning.

The JWs had to change this scripture in their NWT bible because it so clearly supports the Trinity.
Thats so true, and yet so ignored!
You should watch the full debate on Youtube and then it would become clear that not 3 Gods but One God is the maker of the Universe.

Understanding that God is omnipresent should help in your understanding how our God can be here on earth, down in paradise (hell) for 3 days, yet still in heaven.
Perhaps you should read Phil 2

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Jesus laid aside His omnipresence, omnipotence and omniscience when He came to was born a weak helpless babe. This is impossible IF Jesus was the Father.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Raliegh Jones Jr..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service